Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

madnessMADNESSmadness by NAL
as reviewed by Banov

Posted Image

Links:
GMC - http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=452695
YoYoGames - http://www.yoyogames.com/games/102116
GameJolt - http://gamejolt.com/...ssmadness/1003/

If you’ve spent some time working with Game Maker, you should have heard of NAL by now. NAL (which stands for “Not A Lot”) is an indie game dev who lives in the UK, and he tends to make very short, zany games with crazy graphical stunts and gimmicks. He’s made a lot of games, each unique and interesting. madnessMADNESSmadness is some of his latest and best work.

In madnessMADNESSmadness, you use the arrow keys to take control of a small humanoid character who must run and jump constantly to escape a relentlessly advancing red wall. Touching the red wall means death, as does falling into one of many gaps or touching one of many, many spikes. You’re scored based on how long you can survive this crazy challenge. One of the key points in this game is the way the level is shown to you; it rather defies my best description, so I’ll let the screenshot speak for itself. As NAL puts it, “Escape the wall, in a bizarre, circular world where the path comes at you through 360 degrees and disappears underneath.”

Posted Image

It’s a very simple premise, and you can see the entire game in under a minute, but during your playtime it can really capture you. It’s pure maddening fun. The energetic music and constantly advancing wall make this a very fast-paced, adrenaline filled experience. It provides very short, but very exciting play sessions that would make it ideal for some sort of handheld system. The circular world is mesmerizing to watch--it still fills me with wonder no matter how many times I play it and see it. It’s pleasing both as a game player and as a game developer.

The game is very difficult at first, but if you find yourself as addicted to it as I was you'll quickly grow to meet its challenge. The very first time you're able to make through an entire loop of the level, it's like an epiphany. The game rewards both easy casual play and expert skill, and it's very satisfying to master. For those with very competitive spirits, the game even provides an online highscore listing. Good luck even making it to the top 50, however, as there are quite a few astounding scores to beat...

How can this game be improved? As I’ve said before, you can see the entire game in under a minute; the level loops forever, but it’s easy to tell where the seams are. If this had been extended with an even longer set of obstacles it would have provided even more playtime. However, NAL didn’t intend for this to be a large game, nor does it need to be. As a simple thrilling game experience, the game is perfect and succeeds in everything that it should.

Excellent work, NAL.

#2 KC LC

KC LC

Ex-Administrator

• GMC Elder
  • 5309 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

A very well written review. Informative, fun to read, and it convinced me to try the game.

And I must agree with you about "defies my best description". :) Even with NAL's explanation, I couldn't have imagined this with the screenshots.

#3 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

Great review! It actually inspired me to play that game. Keep up the good reviewing!

#4 general sirhc

general sirhc

YW Creator

• 1651 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Well ladies and gentlemen I would believe this is the review that sets the quality benchmark and it sets it high. Very good review and very good game by NAL

#5 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

Great review Banov! Explained really well, and a good read. Nice job.

Edited by drazzke, 12 February 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#6 NAL

NAL

(ง ͠ ͠° ل͜ °)ง

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 827 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:02 PM

Really good, thorough review. Interesting to read. Thanks for it. :D

#7 Ethan718

Ethan718

Go Cubs Go

• 212 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Great! I think it's hard to have a thorough analysis of a game like this, but you did it perfectly. If all reviews are of this quality, then this new forum will be a great addition.

#8 @Alex@

@Alex@

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4306 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

Nice review. Perhaps a bit brief but the quality and content is there. Chances are i'm going to download this in the near future because of this review.

#9 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1923 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

Well ladies and gentlemen I would believe this is the review that sets the quality benchmark and it sets it high.

Agreed. This is a great way to kick off the reviews. I can't wait to see how they develop with time.

#10 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2526 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

Real great insightful review, with good vocabulary :D, which makes you want to play the game, and not to mention an epic game by NAL

#11 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:07 AM

Fine review, though one part of it wasn't so great.

If you've spent some time working with Game Maker, you should have heard of NAL by now.

Yeah, there are many good game makers but it's still easy to not know about them. :D

Edited by makerofthegames, 13 February 2010 - 08:08 AM.

#12 1#COOLIO#1

1#COOLIO#1

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

If you've spent some time working with Game Maker, you should have heard of NAL by now.

Yeah, there are many good game makers but it's still easy to not know about them. :)

notice the should have.

#13 Kolink

Kolink

Almighty Shinx

• GMC Member
  • 2351 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:54 AM

F12 gives me a parked domain instead of the "MMM website"...

Scored 727.38s on it. Then got shafted XD

#14 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

Good review, concise but informative. The game plays exactly as you describe, and I only wish there was a bit more content to be looped.

#15 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, there are many good game makers but it's still easy to not know about them. ;)

notice the should have.

Are you talking to yourself?
Because that is exactly what my post is complaining about....The "should have."

#16 zarley11

zarley11

GMC Member

• 112 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

Awesome review! I played this game today because I read the review (I now play games that are reviewed). It was very fun, very difficult, and very interesting. I'm not a fan of these puzzle-like games, I'm more of the RPG-Adventure type, but this game was well thought out and deserves attention from one of the greatest GM devs out there!

#17 iRhymeWithRawr

iRhymeWithRawr

GMC Member

• 20 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:34 AM

I personally found the game lame.
There wasn't anything that really made me want to win, the idea was still as bland as the old game, and the gameplay felt static. Nicely programmed circle, but thats about all.
~Just my opinion.

#18 Razerkey

Razerkey

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have to agree this game is awesome one of the first games I played on yoyogames.

#19 Lewis Cross

Lewis Cross

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1015 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

This game is cool. But without the spinning effect, it'd look pretty boring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users