• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sn1per809

Sn1per809

• GMC Elder
  • 559 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:29 AM

Through my time in moderating in the graphics forum (and even before that) I have noticed an alarming amount of threads containing request for graphics that are just completely vague and provide very little information about the request itself. Watching the first 3-5 replies in a thread just something like "What size do you want the sprite?" "What style?" "What colour?" is irritating and preventable. I would prefer to see 10 threads with a detailed description of the request that never get completed rather then see 1 thread with 5+ replies asking for more information about the sprite/graphic.

My point is this, do we need to enforce a standard to post in the graphics forum? Or can members begin to provide the needed information about the sprite? Or perhaps it would be better if you were shown how a detailed thread would look?

The following guide can be found here: Graphics Forum Rules

How to structure your graphics request topic!

• Image description
    Describe your image, what is it? You could go into as much detail as you would like, but a simple "I would like to request a 2D dragon that looks a lot like the dragon from Shrek". You can save the size and style for the other points.
  • Size in pixels (width and height)
    Very simple. Make sure at all times you post the dimensions of your request. Dimensions would normally look like: 32 x 48. That generally means 32 pixels in width and 48 pixels in height.
  • Image format (JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF...)
    This isn't one of those common details that are required as most graphics are in the .PNG format. But if you would like a different format. Make sure to specify it.
  • 2D or 3D image or a 3D model
    This point isn't really a common problem, as most (if not all) members specify that it's a sprite/model. Remember, they are two totally different things.
  • Facing direction or pose
    I have seen countless replies by the thread OP asking the person who is fulfilling the request to re-do it in a completely different pose. Please, always provide information about how the sprite will pose or face. Is it just an Idle animation or is the sprite walking? Is the sprite lifting something or is it climbing etc. Remember to also put the genre of your game. Obviously you don't want a 2D Platformer sprite in a top-down RTS game.
  • Style (provide a link to a similar image with the style you want)
    This is a common problem, if you can, it is strongly recommended that you post reference pictures. Not only do they help you explain what you want, it will also help the artists understand what you are after. Posting something around the lines of "I am after a cartoon style" is great and will help. But there are a lot of art styles out there so thats were your reference picture will come in handy.
  • Whether the image needs to be animated
    Not so much of a large problem, but I have seen members create another completely different topic asking for someone to animate the sprite when he/she could of ask for it in the first thread. If you want it animated, make sure you ask for it to be animated.
  • Whether the artist will be paid
    Simple, money or no money? A large portion of art request are free and continue to stay free, but if you feel like you should pay the artists who help you, it is ultimately up to you. Generally if members are paying for sprites they will get a higher quality of graphic but you do not have to pay them, the choice is yours.
  • If available, a link to your game
    This could help with the style of the game, how it is played out, where the graphics would be. Just generally a good example for the artists to work off.
Although you do not have to follow the above guide to it's word, you are required to post as much information as you can.

Like Fred has said:

I want the graphics forum to be a fun and interesting place for everyone here, but I also want it to be helpful.

I also want this, and I feel I shouldn't have to remind members that there are certain things you need in a topic. But due to the amount of vague topics I have decided to remind you all. This is directed at the GMC as a whole and not just single members. Everyone can do their part in making the Graphics forum an enjoyable place, and I believe you are all capable of doing it. So, lets turn these vague, useless threads into detailed informative threads that everyone can understand. :rolleyes:

Fred and I would appreciate any feedback or comments you may have so this thread will remain open for responses.

Sn1per~
Indeed...

#2 Locate

Locate

TeamCyborg

• 337 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:04 AM

I think people should have to set up their topics using the structure you posted and that it's a good idea having people post as much information about their request as possible instead of having people ask questions to find out information that should already be there.

Posted Image

#3 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

@Locate: People can set up their topics however they like. If everyone set it up the same way it would be like they all lost their individuality(although I do agree that vague topics suck, everyone has their own style of doing things). :rolleyes:

InvaderX.gif

#4 joshuarobillos

joshuarobillos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

I agree, too many topics that haven't met the requirements and they cause some kind if spam if you know what I mean by people asking those questions

#5 6nethack9

6nethack9

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 935 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Whew...
Thanks for making this rule....
Too many topics are sooooo vague....
They do not specify what they want....
How could we help them then?....
I also hate vague topics... :P
Thanks Again! :)

#6 Sn1per809

Sn1per809

• GMC Elder
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Whew...
Thanks for making this rule....
Too many topics are sooooo vague....
They do not specify what they want....
How could we help them then?....
I also hate vague topics... ;)
Thanks Again! :lol:

Well, I haven't made any new rule, I have just "reminded" about an already existing guideline to posting topics within the Graphics Forum. A question is: "... do we need to enforce a standard to post in the graphics forum?" I don't feel that we should have to be that strict, but there are a huge amount of vague topics laying about that are really just an inconvenience to you (as a community) having to waste your time posting just to get a simple answer that should have been posted in the first post.

How could we help them?

Fair enough question, by all means post the question "What are the dimensions?" "What style?" etc, the point of this topic is aimed at the topic creators not the members asking for information about the request. But to avoid bumping the usless topics there are 3 other efficient options.

-Ignore the topic
-Private Message the topic creator, and ask kindly for the information to be edited into the first post. (Try not to act like a member of the GMC Staff)
-Report the topic via the Report button or Private message one of the Forums Moderators. (We normally get the report either way)

Reporting a very vague topic is actually probably the better thing to do rather then ignore it, that way the staff can assist in helping the topic creator achieve an understandable request. :)
Indeed...

#7 arikispencer

arikispencer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 932 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

one way to maybe fix it would be to let other GMC members report vague topics and a moderater could use a standard post thing that kindly asks that more details be included in the first post. maybe even include a small list of what would commonly be needed to include.

then if after a day or so let it be known that the GMC could maybe report again as an un repaired topic or something and then it be closed

it is probably fair but perhaps to much work for the moderators.

PS. sorry for offtopic but...
cool sniper is a fellow aussie so g-day mate

Posted Image
graphics: 30% Help here-------------sounds: 40% Help here--------------- story: 10% ------------- tileset graphics: 10%programing: 20% ------------battle system: 50%

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

please visit ariki-games website: ariki-games

#8 Sn1per809

Sn1per809

• GMC Elder
  • 559 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:18 AM

one way to maybe fix it would be to let other GMC members report vague topics and a moderater could use a standard post thing that kindly asks that more details be included in the first post. maybe even include a small list of what would commonly be needed to include.

then if after a day or so let it be known that the GMC could maybe report again as an un repaired topic or something and then it be closed

it is probably fair but perhaps to much work for the moderators.

So you are saying that if a Moderator feels a topic is to vague or the GMC reports it as vague (and a Moderator agrees), then the Moderator will post a "Warning" in the topic with a list of information that is required etc, then a day later if it's not fixed the topic gets closed?

The problem with that is, not many people come to the GMC daily or frequent enough to get the message that quick. Thats why we tend to close the topic if it's too vague and ask that if the topic creator wants his/her thread re-opened that they are to Private Message a forum Moderator with a more detailed version. Then if we are satisfied, the topic will be re-opened. :)

PS. sorry for offtopic but...
cool sniper is a fellow aussie so g-day mate

It is pretty cool isn't it!
Our Kangaroo cars are starting to pay off. :P
Indeed...

#9 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

I'm not completely sure as to what exactly can be done, but I do think enforcing higher topic standards of some kind is certainly not a bad thing. If anything, stronger standards would aid both the topic starters and the topic contributors. Topic starters would, in most cases, get the results they expected, and topic contributors would have an easier time identify the task requested without having to ask for more information (like Locate mentioned). It seems stronger standards would benefit everyone...

Though, stronger standards would put more work on the topic starters. Then again, someone not willing to put much effort in their request doesn't deserve much effort from the contributors, in my opinion. Also, stronger standards would put more hassle on the moderators (that goes without saying), but that's why they get paid the big bucks. :)

@Locate: People can set up their topics however they like. If everyone set it up the same way it would be like they all lost their individuality(although I do agree that vague topics suck, everyone has their own style of doing things).

I'm all for individuality, but there are circumstances where I think a certain structure should be maintained. There are better places then a graphics request topic, meant for game development, to show your individuality...Maybe in your game perhaps. :P

Even if they don't follow the exact structure that Sn1per laid out; I still think it would be a good idea to include most, if not all, of that information.

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#10 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

Eh well.
What I'd like to see would be that people have to somewhat follow the structure. Clearly somewhere, the topic started needs to outline the required fields, size, style.etc, not necessarily in that format, but at least putting the info there. If they don't, then I guess the topic could be reported for being too vague, and that reopening thing. I think another way could be adding a button for request forums that says something along the lines of "Vague". Where the user doesn't even need to type an explanation. That way, the process could go smoother (imo). Coding it in might be a hassle though, I'm not sure.

Wanderlust: Rebirth Beta Tester

#11 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

I presume it's okay to ask for these details so long as the vague topic is very new, because you're not exactly bumping it into view. :)

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#12 Sn1per809

Sn1per809

• GMC Elder
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

Something I have been noticing quite a bit now is, when someone doesn't post enough details in their first post and then they are asked by another member more about the specific details for the request, the thread OP seems to just post the details in another post and completely ignores the edit button for the first post.

Please could we try and always make sure to edit the first post from now on, it makes it a bit harder to moderate all the vague topics when myself or another moderator has to read through your whole topic and merge posts. The good thing is most of the topics that are vague don't have many replies.

This isn't just aimed at vague topics alone, anytime you change or add another detail about your request, please edit your first post as well as posting it (if your topic is fairly large).

Sn1per~
Indeed...

#13 logon68

logon68

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:12 AM

I think people should have to set up their topics using the structure you posted and that it's a good idea having people post as much information about their request as possible instead of having people ask questions to find out information that should already be there.
Custom logo design

#14 TheMusicDork

TheMusicDork

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

Maybe you could have a way to report topics, and if the moderator feels the need they could simply edit the first post with the basic outline (and if thd info is not provided leave a blank bullet)

|Storyline| 30%

|Graphics| 5%

|Sounds| 50%

|Awesome| 100%

#15 sophie07

sophie07

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

I also agree this! For our newcomer, its difficult for us to choose a suitable topic to talk! Also for we, some topic seemed so unfamiliar! And we just confused!LED Displayhas the same question i mentioned above, hope have a good suggestion!! Look forwarding!

#16 TheMusicDork

TheMusicDork

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

I would agree that all of this information should be included but as long as the information is included it should be accepted.

|Storyline| 30%

|Graphics| 5%

|Sounds| 50%

|Awesome| 100%