• GMC Member
  • 841 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:48 AM

Savage Defense

By Glen Huff

Posted Image

To download visit this link: Savage Defense 3

In this game you defend your castle from raging beasts by forming a defense using various turrets in which you build and upgrade using money obtained by killing the attacking creatures. Survive all the waves and you'll find yourself victorious.

• New features added to V3:
    • Healing turrets
    • Health bars (To keep track of allys health and watch enemies health)
    • Fast forward button (Increases the speed of everything by 100%)
    • Hotkeys (Quick summoning and upgrading. Use number 1-9 on the keyboard)
    • New turret designs (More detailed, colorful, and professional)
    • Surface based terrain (Looks Smooth)
    • Turrets now have stands (No more floating.)
    • Everything is left click (no more confusing left click button + right click to place on field)
    • More detailed tooltip. (Describes what each turret is useful for.)
    • Main menu (There wasn't one)
    • Boss and dragon warnings (players are warned about the dragons 5 waves before they arrive. Gives them time to get an air defense)
    • Tutorial (For new players)
    • AI (Enemies can dodge bullets every once in awhile)
    • Holy damage (healing turrets)
    • Timed upgrades and turret building
    • Enemy information. (Weaknesses, strength, health, etc...)
  • Major Glitches that have been fixed (not naming all the minor stuff... too many):
    • Stacking turrets
    • Buttons not responding
    • Upgrading units passed level 4
    • Upgrading multiple units for the price of one upgrade
  • Performance optimization:
    • Better fps average (note that the screenshot above was taken before some crucial glitches were fixed. Disregard the frame rate)
    • Adding a quality control (turns on/off surface terrain and other high resourceful features.)
    • Fixed FMOD glitches, it shouldn't lag the game anymore
    • Loading hasn't changed much, even with the new content. It loads at decent speeds.
    • There's less turrets on the screen, which cuts down the fps later in the game where we could have about 20 turrets scattered around the place.
  • Credits:
    • icuurd12b42 - GM FMOD sound system
    • Mordi - Professional menu system

Once again, to download visit this link: Savage Defense 3
Report glitches if you find any.

Edited by Glen, 06 October 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#2 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

Update: Fixed link, had a file missing, no problems now. Enjoy the game.
Avic Pro (Work in Progress):
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies

#3 game_obsessed

game_obsessed

GMC Member

• 590 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Looks decent - downloading now, hopefully get back with feedback soon :D

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Not bad... Not bad at all! Its a slightly different take on the typical TD games... graphics are good, sound and music are good (although the balance between them is off... I feel the music should be quieter and the effects louder) and the gameplay is okay... My only two complaints would be that there should be a longer pause between waves to create turrets (or a button to start the next wave) and that there is really very little variety in this TD compared to ones based on maps and paths...

Anyway, it kept me entertained for a while and I suppose I can´t ask for more than that!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#5 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:47 PM

Thank you for your comment. I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Your comment on effects should be louder than game music. You see how I have a sound control button on the bottom right of the screen? Would it please you to have one that controls the volume of the sound effects and one that controls the volume of the music? Some of my friends (my main beta testers) wanted the music to be louder than the effects, but I'm seeing that maybe the freedom to choose is the best route. The pauses will be extended in the next version and hopefully more challenges for the player. I'm not making a complete tower defense fan game with all the classic TD features. I'd like to stand out.
Portable media manager. Just pop in your usb drive and use Avic Pro to organize and present all of your media content in categories. On top of that, it makes handling portable games, software, and other utilities a breeze. It allows you to launch just about any of your media content quickly and efficiently from your system tray. No more long paths to finding content.
Savage Defence| Text FX | Ragdoll Axe Engine | Professionalism | Online Games | Game Progression | 3D Game Development | Online Anti-Hack Strategies

#6 Snoogms

Snoogms

GMC Member

• 103 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:57 AM

I like it. I played through the demo. And it is fun. I enjoy tower defense games and yours is a nice spin on the genre.

My pointers.

The shadow is way too far below the enemy models, it looks as if they're flying (the non flying ones).

I disliked the endless shaking of the screen when I was firing. Perhaps tone it down or allow users to set the screen shake to none-low-med-high?

The music stopped playing at some point, may want to address that;)

Especially large enemy models have to be hit in the feet, on the square where they're standing. Can you make it so you can hit the entire model, it would seem more natural.

After the first boss, the flyers took me by complete surprise. Perhaps introduce one or two earlier to illustrate that you can't leave your skies undefended or have them come at a little slower pace after the first boss? Just a matter of tweaking, as I build HMSs in the first level but they had no use, I restarted the game, got to second level and had no money to build one and didn't manage to build one by the time they killed me.

Err ... that's about it. Good stuff, I like it!:D
“One of the most difficult tasks people can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games.” --Jung

|| "For a WIP, 8/10." --chichmonkey || "I'll give it a 9/10" --simple-games || "There's just something about this game which makes it so addictive" --ninja_sheep ||

#7 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:05 AM

Thank you for your input. I'll look into the song ending. I'm guessing it ended around wave 23? I thought I fixed the glitch. The shadows will be fixed. I'm implementing a lighting/shadow system into the game for the next version. And as for the air attacks, I'm continuously getting complains about it being too overwhelming in the beginning. I'll modify it. Glad you liked it though. If there's anything else that comes to your mind, let me know. :D

#8 yoshitsune

yoshitsune

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

That was alot of fun! Only problems were that the tutorial message should note the use of hsm's to kill dragons, and the background music ends after the second boss and nothing else plays after the song. I beat the game on my second try. It seemed like the second and third boss were easier than the first. They definatey had more health, but with all the turrets I had by then, it didn't make much of a difference. I would suggest more health. I give it an 8/10.

#9 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

I just added a mirror. YYG is having a problem at the moment with my game. Until it's fixed and everything is working, use the mirror I've provided on the first post to download the game.

#10 ninja_sheep

ninja_sheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

Yeah had to use the mirror as the download on YYG was broken <_<
This is a really cool game, the design is pretty unique although it did remind me a little of Plants vs Zombies, was this an influence ?
The 3D turrets were really cool, although some variation (other than colour changes) would have been nice. The enemies were also good with plenty of variation and good animation. How did you make the enemy graphics? It looks like maybe rendered them in 3D then turned them into sprites ? Well however you did it they look very professional. The different turrets seemed to work well although it wasn't particularly obvious which turret was strong against which enemy or really what distinguishes each one (especially electricity and goo) I noticed one slowed enemies (probably ice, maybe goo) but I was expecting fire to be area of effect, for example. The upgrade system seemed pretty balanced though I didn't get a chance to upgrade that much. It did seem like income was fairly slow, maybe giving you enough to buy a tower each round or upgrade 2, and that maybe you should get a little more cash from enemies especially the bosses, but everything seemed pretty balanced anyway so it's not a big deal. And finally, I couldn't see how to kill the flying enemies so that's the point I got game over. It didn't look like any of the turrets were attacking them :)

Overall this game is miles better than your average defense game on here and the unique take on the defense formula sets it apart from the crowd :GM072:

#11 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:42 AM

Yeah had to use the mirror as the download on YYG was broken <_<
This is a really cool game, the design is pretty unique although it did remind me a little of Plants vs Zombies, was this an influence ?
The 3D turrets were really cool, although some variation (other than colour changes) would have been nice. The enemies were also good with plenty of variation and good animation. How did you make the enemy graphics? It looks like maybe rendered them in 3D then turned them into sprites ? Well however you did it they look very professional. The different turrets seemed to work well although it wasn't particularly obvious which turret was strong against which enemy or really what distinguishes each one (especially electricity and goo) I noticed one slowed enemies (probably ice, maybe goo) but I was expecting fire to be area of effect, for example. The upgrade system seemed pretty balanced though I didn't get a chance to upgrade that much. It did seem like income was fairly slow, maybe giving you enough to buy a tower each round or upgrade 2, and that maybe you should get a little more cash from enemies especially the bosses, but everything seemed pretty balanced anyway so it's not a big deal. And finally, I couldn't see how to kill the flying enemies so that's the point I got game over. It didn't look like any of the turrets were attacking them :)

Overall this game is miles better than your average defense game on here and the unique take on the defense formula sets it apart from the crowd :GM072:

My only influence was to make a tower defense game. One thing this version fails to provide the players is a decent tutorial that provides information about the elemental effects and use of hsm's for air attacks. This will be implemented in the next demo. The Cash flow will be sped up for the early parts of the game, but as the game goes on I might have it slow down. Main reason, once you get passed 30 you get 100-300 dollars per wave and you end up having so much money, you don't know what to do with it. I'll also take your advice in some variation on the turret designs and you'll be glad to know that fire and sludge turrets will have area damage in the next demo. Thank you for your comments.

To clear some things up until the next version:
w = weakness s = strong against
-Spider w: fire s: sludge
-Scorpion w: fire s: sludge
-Ogre w: lightning s: bullet
-Twin-Headed Ogre w: lightning s: bullet
-Dragon w: missiles s: nothing else can hit it
-Knight w: fire s: bullet
-Ghost w: ice s: fire
Using a weakness will do 2x the damage whereas using something they're strong against does 1/2 the damage.

Edit: (October 12th) YYG fixed the error on the site. Main link is fixed now. Enjoy.

Edited by Glen, 12 October 2009 - 08:03 PM.

#12 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

Update

Okay, so it's been six days since my last update on what's going on with SD and about 2-3 weeks since the last release. You'll be glad to hear that progress has not stopped. Here's a screenshot of what will be the second release. The game has truly changed it's shape and form. I'm happy with what I've done so far with it. I've taken a quick 3 day project that I slapped together for a competition and turned it into a full fledged game. Help me make it look more professional. Feedback and ideas would be helpful.

Posted Image

• Features added:
    • Healing turrets
    • Health bars (To keep track of allys health and watch enemies health)
    • Fast forward button (Increases the speed of everything by 100%)
    • Hotkeys (Quick summoning and upgrading)
    • New turret designs (More detailed, colorful, and professional)
    • Surface based terrain (Looks Smooth)
    • Turrets now have stands (No more floating.)
    • Everything is left click (no more confusing left click button + right click to place on field)
    • More detailed tooltip. (Describes what each turret is useful for.)
    • Main menu (There wasn't one)
    • Boss and dragon warnings (players are warned about the dragons 5 waves before they arrive. Gives them time to get an air defense)
  • Things to add:
    • Tutorial (For new players)
    • AI (Enemies can dodge bullets every once in awhile)
    • Special elemental effects. (In addition to sludge slowing things down there will be Burning, freezing, and paralysis)
    • Land mine turret (Area damage traps)
    • Holy damage (healing turrets)
    • Timed upgrades and turret building
    • Enemy information. (Weaknesses, strength, health, etc...)
  • Major Glitches that have been fixed (not naming all the minor stuff... too many):
    • Stacking turrets
    • Buttons not responding
    • Upgrading units passed level 4
    • Upgrading multiple units for the price of one upgrade
  • Performance optimization:
    • Better fps average (note that the screenshot above was taken before some crucial glitches were fixed. Disregard the frame rate)
    • Adding a quality control (turns on/off surface terrain and other high resourceful features.)
    • Fixed FMOD glitches, it shouldn't lag the game anymore
    • Loading hasn't changed much, even with the new content. It loads at decent speeds.
    • There's less turrets on the screen, which cuts down the fps later in the game where we could have about 20 turrets scattered around the place.

I can't promise a date in which it'll be released for I still have things I wish to add before I publish it. I can say that it will be released soon. Judging by the progress I've made on the game in the past 2-3 weeks, I believe the next version will be released on a reasonable time... let's say a few weeks from now. That's if all goes well. There's still glitches to fix and alot of new content to add. And with new content comes new glitches. Eventually it will be released. I can say that much. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.

#13 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:30 AM

AA Missiles need to be far cheaper, I could only afford one by the time flying guys came so I lost instantly....

Wicked awesome game though, everything else is pretty much perfect.

Odd, i seem to have downloaded the old version somehow... Strange, seeing as I downloaded it a few hours after you announced that update...

Edited by FurinKazanNZ, 18 October 2009 - 02:32 AM.

#14 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:45 AM

AA Missiles need to be far cheaper, I could only afford one by the time flying guys came so I lost instantly....

Wicked awesome game though, everything else is pretty much perfect.

Odd, i seem to have downloaded the old version somehow... Strange, seeing as I downloaded it a few hours after you announced that update...

Update it was. A release? Not so much. I said it was a sneak peak at what's new and the last paragraph in the post says numerous times that it will be released soon...

Edited by Glen, 18 October 2009 - 02:45 AM.

#15 BBaller

BBaller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 820 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

That was pretty fun, dude. I liked the music and sfx and also the bullet effects and the screen shake.

New version looks great too, can't wait to try it out and see the improvements!

Some ideas about the interface:

- Have a sound effect for when a wave is completed and maybe a visual indicator.

- Move the money count down to where you select your turrets, that way you don't have to look at the top of the screen and back down everytime.

- If you don't have enough money to buy a turret, fade out that icon or something.

k1eyl3.jpg

#16 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

That was pretty fun, dude. I liked the music and sfx and also the bullet effects and the screen shake.

New version looks great too, can't wait to try it out and see the improvements!

Some ideas about the interface:

- Have a sound effect for when a wave is completed and maybe a visual indicator.

- Move the money count down to where you select your turrets, that way you don't have to look at the top of the screen and back down everytime.

- If you don't have enough money to buy a turret, fade out that icon or something.

I'll certainly consider your ideas. The button fading is something I plan on doing for sure.

#17 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Version 3 has been released and can be downloaded by visiting my website at Avalon Games. All details on first post. This is a beta release. If any glitches are found, please report them so I can fix them before the final version is released. Thank you, and enjoy.

#18 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Happy Halloween everyone. I updated the file. Healing turrets are working, 1st boss healthbar is fixed, and I doubled the rate of money. Hope you enjoy it. :GM028:

#19 razourik

razourik

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1871 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

I can only describe this with 1 word.

Awesome.
Posted Image

#20 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thank you! Next minor update will have new graphics for the enemies and more hot-key functionality. Once those new things are done and the remaining bugs are fixed, I'll be working on the fourth version.

#21 Mordi

Mordi

Maker of Menus

• 3635 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:21 PM

Nice 3d-effect on the turrets. How did you do that? Drawing the sprite multiple times downwards and scaling the sprite correctly as it rotates?

#22 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:34 AM

Nice 3d-effect on the turrets. How did you do that? Drawing the sprite multiple times downwards and scaling the sprite correctly as it rotates?

That's exactly how I did it. About 10 sprites for each one.

#23 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

Has anyone beat it?

#24 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:20 AM

Awsome game! I stopped at wave 42. How much farther does it go?
One thing I noticed is that those flying dragon things fly under the ice turrets.They fly over top of the other kinds though
And I was able to build as many turrets as I wanted to on top of each other on the very last grid block.
Like this.
Posted Image
But the game is awsome.I played it for quite a while.
I'm looking foward to playing the final release.

Edited by XtraButter, 16 December 2009 - 02:21 AM.

#25 FiLkAtA

FiLkAtA

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

I beat it. The key is that you should spend your money on upgrading when you can instead of buying new towers and you should balance the number of towers of each type. I love the graphics but it gets a bit repetative towards the end - I had 3000+ spare cash and nothing to spend it on. Overall a great game and I'm looking forward to the final release.

#26 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

I beat it. The key is that you should spend your money on upgrading when you can instead of buying new towers and you should balance the number of towers of each type. I love the graphics but it gets a bit repetative towards the end - I had 3000+ spare cash and nothing to spend it on. Overall a great game and I'm looking forward to the final release.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll have to come up with something to spend the extra cash on.

@XtraButter: there's 50 waves and thank you for the bug report. I'll look into it.

Edited by Glen, 19 December 2009 - 08:54 PM.

#27 LoopStan

LoopStan

North-See Developer

• GMC Member
  • 1398 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

Wow this game rocks! I love the graphics, the gameplay was good, and it kept me busy :whistle: Awesome work, keep it up!

Posted Image

#28 Watzels

Watzels

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:49 PM

Athough i dont really feel like playing a defence turret game i must say this one looks quite good. Its just something about those graphics. I like them but i dont like them but i like them. Confused, i sure am.

Anyways its looking good.

#29 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

totally awesome game! Nice gfx, nice sound, nice gameplay(difficulty and strategy)
5/5!

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#30 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:02 AM

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. The next version will focus on the enemies. It may take awhile. but I'm working on the new enemy graphics to match the new turret designs that I released in v3. I'm also hoping to extend the game to a new level beyond this so after you beat the first 50 waves, you move on to another scenario. If there's anything you think would improve the game, feel free to share your ideas. If you find a bug please report it.

Known bugs in v3:

-Stacking in last row
-Occasional jumping in the ai
-Enemy death animations
-Several depth glitches

Edited by Glen, 22 December 2009 - 04:40 PM.

#31 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Are there any more bug reports? I've fixed most of them so far (on the new version that's not released yet).

#32 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

Fixed the link in the first post. Would like some reviews discussing changes that need to be done.

New version of Savage Defense coming this December. Going with unique artwork, more effects, flawless game-play, no lag, more options, more creatures, more everything. Not showing any demos until I have a good amount of it done. If there's anything from version 2 and 3 that you disliked, let me know. I'm building the core engine from scratch again and optimizing the techniques I used for v2 and 3 so the performance is better. Any features that they lacked that you wish to see in version 4, let me know about them.

Edited by Glen, 06 October 2010 - 12:26 PM.

#33 yoshitsune

yoshitsune

GMC Member

• 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Fixed the link in the first post. Would like some reviews discussing changes that need to be done.

New version of Savage Defense coming this December. Going with unique artwork, more effects, flawless game-play, no lag, more options, more creatures, more everything. Not showing any demos until I have a good amount of it done. If there's anything from version 2 and 3 that you disliked, let me know. I'm building the core engine from scratch again and optimizing the techniques I used for v2 and 3 so the performance is better. Any features that they lacked that you wish to see in version 4, let me know about them.

Any screenshots of the new version yet? You haven't said much about the project and It's January now.

#34 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

Any screenshots of the new version yet? You haven't said much about the project and It's January now.

I'll post some up later tonight. I've been doing alot of recoding and finding ways to speed up resource consuming effects and optimize the performance of the game. Alot of progress in the optimization process has been made. There's not much new content to the game as of now except for a new GUI and the addition of terrain with an obstacle to give it more of a "tower defense" feel. I'll give some information on what to expect though.

-Players will be able to send waves towards the enemy
-The enemy will have to create a defense as well
-Monsters will target and attack turrets to weaken defense
-Gold can be earned by doing damage to enemy castle
-Gold can be lost by receiving damage to your castle
-Level 5 upgrades will be available "elite upgrade"
-Building/Upgrade queues will be implemented
-AI will have several personalities (all out attack, all out defense, and a balanced strategy)
-Dynamic environment to give a realistic feel
-More detail in graphics
-Flawless FPS (As of writing this, the current demo has a framerate of 60 fps with an occasional frop to 59. Hoping to keep it that way)
-More sound effects

Of the following, you'll probably get a sneak peak later today of the terrain, new castles, new turret placement, and the gui. I'm still working on the player's offensive side of the game where they get to send waves to the enemy. The game will turn into a last once standing type of tower defense game rather than limiting it to a certain amount of waves.

#35 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'll be reprogramming this in GM:Studio this year. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know. Going to be using more original content this time as well. Should I go with a realistic look or a more cartoonish look? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

#36 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Nice to hear.

The current look of the towers are nice.

Also, can you if possible, make the game work also without mouse-support? Check your pm as well.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png