Photo

Cage Match 216

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Cage Match 216 (93 member(s) have cast votes)

Please choose...

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 1215 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

The results of last week's Match are as follows...

Tower of Heaven by Askiisoft.....39
Boxes by lol23.....28

Which means that Tower of Heaven moves onto the Hall of Fame. Congrats! Time for two new games...

Cage Match 216 (ends 26th of September)

Beacon by ChevyRay
Yoyo Games Link
GMC Link

Mega Block Man 2 by slayer 64
Yoyo Games Link
GMC Link

#2 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2723 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Beacon for me. Decent pixels. It's not 3D. Good atmosphere and a stunning accomplishment for the extremely short development time. Maybe a little too slow paced for me at times but I certainly enjoyed it and found it more interesting than Mega Block Man 2 which I didn't really find much fun at all and found visually very unappealing.

Edited by Carnivac, 19 September 2009 - 04:16 PM.

#3 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:18 PM

Definitely beacon. It looked glorious, and had a very advanced platforming engine for a 48 hour game!

#4 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2046 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

Although beacon was graphically superior, I play games because they're fun, not because they look pretty. And Beacon was WAAY too boring, so Mega Block Man gets my vote.

Edited by brod, 21 September 2009 - 12:38 AM.

#5 Tokyo

Tokyo

GMC Member

• 18 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Beacon.
Mega Block Man is probably the best 3D-Game made with Game Maker, but Beacon had the more interesting gameplay and atmosphere.

#6 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

I had to go with Mega Block Man 2.

I don't like the username of the person who made Beacon, and the game itself was very... Uninteresting. I just followed some light. There was nothing to actually do in the game.

Mega Block Man 2, on the other hand, is made by someone named "slayer 64". Slayer? That's interesting somewhat. 64? Well, the Nintendo 64 was one of the worst consoles in existence. So that's a few cool points off. But the game itself held my interest long enough to complete it.

In the end, due to the names of the creators, I must say that both are mediocre games. But Mega Block Man 2 can be fun at times and has more to do than just "follow this light, lol".

Also, Mega Block Man 2 has a level editor. Hard to argue with that.

#7 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 994 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

I don't like the username of the person who made Beacon, and the game itself was very... Uninteresting. I just followed some light. There was nothing to actually do in the game.

Mega Block Man 2, on the other hand, is made by someone named "slayer 64". Slayer? That's interesting somewhat. 64? Well, the Nintendo 64 was one of the worst consoles in existence. So that's a few cool points off. But the game itself held my interest long enough to complete it.

In the end, due to the names of the creators, I must say that both are mediocre games. But Mega Block Man 2 can be fun at times and has more to do than just "follow this light, lol".

Posted Image
Thank you for your deep and sophisticated reasoning, which I'm sure will only increase your credibility. Truly, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

1. Chevy Ray is the REAL NAME of the creator, it makes sense that it's also his username.
2. Nintendo 64? Worst console.......? Keep your opinions to yourself. How would you like it if people disliked your game because your name has a word in it you don't like?
3. Seriously... "In the end, due to the names of the creators, I must say that both are mediocre games."

Does it even MATTER how good the game is? Clearly not. Your sound reasoning has shown me the true light. Thanks to you, I now hate Iji because Ultimortal sounds like ultra-portal, which has that word from that portal game that's totally overrated and stupid lol. Look at me! I have an opinion!

Here, this is what your post should have been -

Beacon was very... Uninteresting. I just followed some light. There was nothing to actually do in the game. However, Mega Block Man 2 held my interest long enough to complete it.

I must say that both are mediocre games. But Mega Block Man 2 can be fun at times and has more to do than just "follow this light".

#8 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

This is now officially my favorite Beacon review :lol: I think I'm gonna exchange that for the current quote on the Yoyo Games page, actually.

Hahaha, I knew the game would totally crash in the cage match. I'm surprised it even got 5 votes already... here anyways. I'd better go pick out a replacement game.

#9 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 2723 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:34 PM

Well, the Nintendo 64 was one of the worst consoles in existence.

Holy schnert! He actually said something agree with. I'm still using mine to prop up my old desk in the other room.

Level editors don't mean anything if you don't enjoy playing the game they're for.

#10 G.I.L.

G.I.L.

GMC Member

• 64 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:37 PM

I actually liked both games.
Beacon-great graphics and the coding was smooth for 48 hours
Mega Blockman 2-really pushes gm's limits and is pretty fun at times
I only voted beacon simply because it is easier to pick up and play.

#11 NAL

NAL

凸ʕಠᴥಠʔ凸

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 795 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

I preferred Beacon. It wasn't as content-rich, but Mega Blockman 2 had some bizarre design choices, and bad music, which put me off it completely.

#12 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

I went for Beacon. I liked the style of the game, and the graphics were nicely done. Gameplay kept me entertained for longer then Mega Blockman 2 - it just takes a little while before the game becomes challenging.

I didn't really like the style of Mega Blockman two. The gameplay wasn't as entertaining, the graphics weren't as well done, and the music wasn't exactly my thing. It's still a fun game, but Beacon was more enjoyable.

Though I'd say that the SNES is better then the N64 any day, I wouldn't say the N64 is bad. It has Ocarina of Time :lol:

Edited by drazzke, 19 September 2009 - 11:51 PM.

#13 FallenMaster

FallenMaster

GMC Member

• 417 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

I went with a null vote this time. Both games are quite good and quite unique, but both of them also lack a goal, game and thereby challenge. There were, what I could see, no way to lose and you wasn't given any idea why you did what you did. Btw, Blockman 2 was much better then the first one =).

#14 voltain

voltain

V.C.G

• GMC Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:13 AM

As nice as Mega Block Man 2 was, the graphics put me off even though you rarely see 3d gm games of this good quality. Beacon was definetly better for me because of the atmosphere of lonliness.

#15 PlasticineGuy

PlasticineGuy

GMC Member

• 2384 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:31 AM

Beacon was plain boring. Simple as that.

#16 Vizorslash

Vizorslash

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:14 AM

I voted for MB2, cause it was more fun and more accessible. Beacon was a nice game, however it wasn't exactly a 'fun' game.

Also, what happens with a tie?

#17 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

I voted for MB2, cause it was more fun and more accessible. Beacon was a nice game, however it wasn't exactly a 'fun' game.

I believe that Ablach Blackrat casts the deciding vote.

Edited by Desert Dog, 20 September 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#18 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

I vote for Mega Block Man 2. It's definately a d3d masterpiece engine (if it is a d3d) and also it is fun.
Beacon is a good game but it is too easy and doesn't have too much interactivity.
However both games are very good.

#19 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2531 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Too close to call...

Mega block man 2 had some sliding and visible distance issues, but I could get used to it. graphics were slughtly sub-N64 so that's ok. I had a blast playing this, felt good. Some enemies felt like blatant Mario ripoffs, but it worked.

Beacon had the nice graphics, but rather tedious and unforgiving gameplay. The death messages, while varied, got annoying after a while. Still, it's one of the nicer games I've played in a while.

Like I said: too close to call. Null-vote for me.

#20 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1854 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

I can only write like this now|Voted Beacon|Blame it on Stockholm Syndrome

#21 AleTusk

AleTusk

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

Beacon all the way! This is the first GM game that actually made me jump in my seat. I love it :lol:

#22 Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 1215 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

I believe that Ablach Blackrat casts the deciding vote.

Generally in the past I'll leave it open for a few hours. If no one has voted at that point then yes, I will cast a vote; though I don't like doing that. So far, I've not had to do it so I'm happy with it.

#23 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

Well even though I did love the previous mega block man I had to go with beacon. It is insanely beautiful and really fun to play. I know it didn't but it seems like it took years to make. Good job Chevyray! :lol:

#24 gharper

gharper

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

I know it didn't but it seems like it took years to make. Good job Chevyray! :D

Ironically, it was made in 48 hours, as part of the Ludum Dare challenge, I believe.

I voted for Beacon. While I appreciate what Mega Block Man 2 was trying to achieve, its technical achievements are overshadowed by the rough quality of the presentation; if anything, Game Maker seems more like a technical limitation upon MBM2 in its foray into 3D. Beacon may not be groundbreaking, but its atmosphere and feel is the best I've seen in this kind of platformer (particularly after playing Passage), and considering that it was made in two days, I'm wondering what the Proper Undead could achieve with a full-fledged development effort.

#25 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20939 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:47 AM

Voted for Mega Block Man... it may have annoying music, annoying sound effects and a sometimes frustrating level design, but it is fun and a challenge to the player (and a great example of good 3D in GM). As for Beacon, I found it boring... yes, it does get a bit more challenging as the game progresses but you don´t care by the time something interesting happens!

#26 UncrossedKnight

UncrossedKnight

GMC Member

• 572 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

Voted for Mega Block Man... it may have annoying music, annoying sound effects and a sometimes frustrating level design, but it is fun and a challenge to the player (and a great example of good 3D in GM). As for Beacon, I found it boring... yes, it does get a bit more challenging as the game progresses but you don´t care by the time something interesting happens!

I totally agree blockman ftw

#27 DXsmiley

DXsmiley

The Observer

• GMC Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:43 PM

MEGA BLOCK MAN 2! :D
I think it it the best game on yoyogames!
Everything is fantastic!
Only cons:
I bit hard. (I can't beat sandtrap 4)
Not much of a stoy.

#28 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:03 PM

I just finished beacon i loved the ending.

#29 DPoole

DPoole

KwikLook Editor

• 188 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

Can't believe Beacon is losing this...

I suppose the Game Maker community will have different opinions to general indie gamers.

#30 Atamagaokashii

Atamagaokashii

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:35 PM

I have to say, out of the two, it was hard, both great games. But I had to go with MBM2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users