• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

B E A C O N

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An atmospheric game about hope, reliance, and being alone in the dark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Watch it on YouTube

Download

ZIP (3.36 MB) [VERSION 1.10]
RAR (3.13 MB) [VERSION 1.10]
YOYO GAMES

To fully enjoy the experience, I recommend you play it in full screen mode!

Information

Made with: Game Maker 7.0
Resolution: 640 x 480
Appropriate for: Audiences 7+ (some dark/cryptic themes)
Vista compatible: Yes
Multiplayer: No

This game was created for the 15th Ludum Dare competition, in which the goal is to create a game in 48 hours with a theme chosen by the community.

This was the first Ludum Dare in which I have participated, and the chosen theme for the competition was CAVERNS. So everything you see in this game (that is NOT mentioned as a 1.05 update in the CHANGES.txt) was made within the 48-hour contest period. You can find Beacon over at its entry page.

I had an extremely enjoyable time, and I encourage you all to check out the rest of the entries over at the Ludum Dare website, and see what people have cooked up!

NOTE: The version for download here is NOT the same as the version I submitted to the compo (Version 1.00). I've made some difficulty tweaks and added a save feature since (recorded in the game's CHANGES.txt). If you want to see the game as it was, get it from its compo page! But I personally recommend the newer version for playability's sake.

Edited by ChevyRay, 03 September 2009 - 03:41 AM.

#2 Hungryformore21

Hungryformore21

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Ahhh... I played this game when I saw it featured on Tim's blog. The graphics are very nice considering you only had 48 hours to make and polish the game. I found this to be very enjoyable. Great job, Chevy.

Edited by Hungryformore21, 02 September 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#3 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:41 AM

Thank you.

For anybody else who wants to see the indiegames article, the link is below.

http://www.indiegame...eacon_chev.html

#4 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:44 AM

Cool game, glad to see you posted a video with it too!

#5 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:42 AM

Glad you enjoyed it.

Update! The game now has subtle ambient background music.

ZIP (3.36 MB) [VERSION 1.10]
RAR (3.13 MB) [VERSION 1.10]

VERSION 1.10 CHANGES

• Added ambient background track courtesy of Ronan McGrath.
  • Fixed tiling issue with certain tiles next to spikes.

Edited by ChevyRay, 03 September 2009 - 03:43 AM.

#6 IceGladiator

IceGladiator

GMC Member

• 24 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I loved the creatures that dodge the light. After seeing what your capable of with this competition I cant wait to see your full featured games. Hopefully we will get to see some more great work. This game was an instant classic!

#7 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Nice little game!

Good atmosphere for sure.

Your games are all rock solid & very polished (just tried out the pogo one & the monster pop one)...
keep up the good work (most enjoyable so far is the pogo one :snitch:.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#8 Lamby-Games

Lamby-Games

SLAM Games Team

• 256 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:05 AM

That's one freaky game! It had a wonderful atmosphere, and the death messages were very interesting and dark.
When the Beacon left me sometimes throughout the level, I was like, "No! Don't leave me!".
The LambyGames Website
Blog l News l Links l Games l And More...

#9 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:38 AM

I absolutely adore this game, from the atmosphere to the music. It's difficult and fun without any enemies (except for the darkness and the never-ending abyss below), and is very polished, clean, and professional. The transition of difficulty from one level to next is slow but noticeable, and really adds to the game. Overall, I'd give this game a 98% rating. Adding less-repetitive sounds and a better swimming animation would really add to this game.

-ev149
I ain't 'round these parts too much no more...

InfraTerrra

#10 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

Excellent, you guys. Thanks for playing.

The game is still very rough, because it was a 48 hour project. I will still make more improvements eventually, but I'm busy with an iPhone project and a flash engine right now, so any updates are on hold until I get that stuff finished up.

#11 DPoole

DPoole

KwikLook Editor

• 188 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

Just thought I’d mention that I reviewed this game on the KwikLook Blog.

An incredible game for it's creation time. Incredible.

#12 jcoaster2008

jcoaster2008

GMC Member

• 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

Wow. Amazing game. The creepiness factor is WAY up there. The sense of despair and dread that goes through me when I start to fall behind the light is really scary. Very well done, especially for only doing it in 48 hours.

#13 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

The sense of despair and dread that goes through me when I start to fall behind the light is really scary.

Good! That was my intention, not only when you fall behind, but when it separates from you as well. Some people pick up on this, others don't. Some people are just too simple-minded to even experience anything in a game beyond button-mashing braindeadness, but i'm glad that there are still kids kickin' around here that can think and lose themself in a world purely to experience it.

Thanks for the review, DPoole, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game jcoaster.

EDIT: Also, Ludum Dare ends in 2 hours. I'll post here to let you guys know how the game did.

Edited by ChevyRay, 14 September 2009 - 12:47 AM.

#14 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:51 AM

Great job with this game. I like the difficulty curve of the game, and I really didn't want to lose that light. Loved the little crawly creatures and bats.

One of the better 48 hour games I've seen!

Noel Berry | Portfolio | Twitter | Leap4Blue
Game Maker | PHP/MYSQL | HTML/CSS | Flash/AS3

#15 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:55 AM

I loved this game so much! It has such an awesome atmosphere, the gameplay was solid and very easy to understand, and the difficulty was perfect.
10/10, hands down.

poof_sig.png

#16 NoPlay

NoPlay

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

I like the game, my computer is being stupid and it went really slow i will play later and tell you what i think

Moogles: Working on Story
( Im not sure if this is under the reqiurements if not just tell me)
{The Moogles Team}
{Noplay: Story writer/Leader of project}
{Crozier: Spriter}
{Spooder_weld: Programmer}

#17 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

This game|Total Sweetness|The ending was perfect

Played the 48 hours version|Frustration|Bliss

Edited by zeddidragon, 19 September 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#18 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

Yo thanks, guys. Surprisingly good response, here. The reviews on Yoyo Games are hilarious. I also just got an especially tasty one in the cage match.

Yours is nice, zeddidragon ; )

Edited by ChevyRay, 19 September 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#19 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:20 PM

I absolutely loved the ending. I'm wondering if there's different paths or easter eggs, as at one point the orb turned around. Perhaps not following it was the right thing, as the next level involved being separated for a little bit. In any case, the game had a fantastic atmosphere and interesting gameplay. The level design was great too. Fantastic job!

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#20 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, Sulfuric.

Check out this very deep and thoughtful review, from the Cage Match:

At least "The World's Most Annoying Game" has gameplay.

Beacon has "art" and "indie" going for it (should I include "short development time" and "pretty pixels"?), automatically making it have credibility in the eyes of the people here (and elsewhere, apparently).

Honestly, there was no way I could vote for it. I cannot advocate the creation of games which aren't, well, games.

Admittedly, the previous Cage Match was interesting. Mega Block Man 2 had the higher vote count twice (at the start and near the end), and ultimately lost (how, I'll never know. Seriously, impressive game in GM's d3d, with solid platforming... loses to a simple 2d platforming game where you have to wait for a light constantly???).

So what do you think, guys? Do I honor such blatant ignorance with a response, or would I just be talking to a brick wall?

Edited by ChevyRay, 26 September 2009 - 08:25 PM.

#21 Necromian

Necromian

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1000 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

Thanks, Sulfuric.

Beacon has "art" and "indie" going for it (should I include "short development time" and "pretty pixels"?), automatically making it have credibility in the eyes of the people here (and elsewhere, apparently).

Honestly, there was no way I could vote for it. I cannot advocate the creation of games which aren't, well, games.

Admittedly, the previous Cage Match was interesting. Mega Block Man 2 had the higher vote count twice (at the start and near the end), and ultimately lost (how, I'll never know. Seriously, impressive game in GM's d3d, with solid platforming... loses to a simple 2d platforming game where you have to wait for a light constantly???).

So what do you think, guys? Do I honor such blatant ignorance with a response, or would I just be talking to a brick wall?

Judging by his past responses in the cage match, he doesn't respond to any of the criticism he gets from his posts.
Some Completed Games and Programs:

Grid Defender 2 Sequel to the staff picked game at yoyogames!

Sig Maker V.5 "10/10","Products match Photoshop CS3, take less time and effort"

Perfection "This really surprised me. I can't think of a single negative thing to say" - Kmetamorphosis

Super Big Gun Adventure! The self-proclaimed cult classic!

Cult Symbol Maker "9.5/10","9/10","I like it! Good work!" - JTR

You can find all 30+ programs at www.nfyre.com

#22 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

you have a seriously anoying bug when you walk to the right of the room. instead of going to the next room, you fall and die (you dont see it happen). Forcing you to jump to the right edge to bypass this bug. Sometimes you forget and die...

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#23 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:36 AM

Really? How often does this occur? I haven't had anybody else report this before (which is odd), but I'll put in a safeguard against it in the next updated version just in case. :/ Hmm

#24 icuurd12b42

icuurd12b42

Self Formed Sentient

• GMC Elder
  • 18181 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

Really? How often does this occur? I haven't had anybody else report this before (which is odd), but I'll put in a safeguard against it in the next updated version just in case. :/ Hmm

Often, the first screen, move right slowly, waiting for the light. Your character, off the screen, will fall. Move far enough for the character to be off the screen but not so much to cause the room change. You get a You died message

gmcbanner.pnggmcbanner_tools.png

ICU Live Tutoring Through Slack or Skype | My Tools Page follow.png

I FRANTICALLY MADE MY 18000 POST TOPIC BEFORE MIKE ANNOUNCED A DELAY...
Now I'm squirming not to hit that reply button

#25 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:59 AM

Ahh, I see, so when you're moving slowly enough. I'll have the game tiles automatically extend passed the edge of the room, then. Amateur mistake, must have just overlooked that detail while testing it. Thanks for reporting it.

#26 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:05 AM

the only real weak point I see in this game is that I never feel like I'm making any progress...
Just had my 10-year forum anniversary. Feeling - Even - Older.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

[I have a nasty habit of writing "it is" simply as "it". Please forgive me, I try to avoid it.]

#27 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:06 AM

Towards what? Maybe you don't make progress, maybe you just keep following the Beacon endlessly into the darkness.

#28 chichmonkey

chichmonkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Thanks, Sulfuric.

Well, since I actually enjoyed your game, and struggled to complete certain levels without any fake difficulty as twmag has, this is more of a game than twmag will ever be. So, yes, you'd be talking to a brick wall.

Edited by chichmonkey, 27 September 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#29 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

Cage match round 3 has started. If you guys like Beacon, go vote for it. If I win 2 contests with this game, maybe I'll reward everybody with a nice treat.

PS: Beacon V2, with 2x-resolution, nicer graphics, smoothed out gameplay, and a more generous difficulty curve. I would love to take something like that to IGF this year, and see how it competes against the other big-time indie games. I think that would be a nice treat, no?

This very well could be my last Game Maker game (I'm developing an iPhone and Flash game right now), so this would be a nice way to finish off.

Edited by ChevyRay, 05 October 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#30 DPoole

DPoole

KwikLook Editor

• 188 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

Beacon V2 would be a very nice treat.

It's kinda sad that you're due to be leaving the GM scene. But I understand; you want more plays, more knowledge, more friends and more money. Good luck, dude. -_-

#31 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Love the idea of Beacon V2.
Hope you follow through with that idea.

Posted Image

#32 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:16 PM

Why thank you, gents.

@DPoole: more than any of that, I just want to learn new languages and branch out into different areas of game development, not just stay in one place. Popularity and money aren't really that important to me, the sheer enjoyment of just working hard on something and completing it is more of a thrill than I could ever ask for! Working on an iPhone game has been really exciting for me too, and pretty soon I will also see how my games fare on Flash portals as well. I've got projects planned all through 2010 (some rather large ones too), so I'll be a busy man for the months to come.

#33 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:24 PM

We'll be sure to always check out your stuff. We pwomise. :rolleyes:
[Irving]|[StixFuture]|[R0B0 W4LK 2]|[BxdLunch Games Forum(Weirdness Awaits)]|[Meh Blog!]
Current Projects
-The_Tower
<---Hard Core Insanity that blows your mind...*BOOM* ow...
My Pixel Joint Page

#34 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:17 AM

Thanks!

Things are gettin' pretty spicy in the cage match! I've got people voting against me solely because they don't want to see any more of my big posts in there. That must be some kind of record or something, right? Unfortunately, nobody addresses me directly (Alpha Man did, but still refused to be polite or try to validate any of his points instead of just repeating them) or comes and posts here about it. So until somebody gets the guts to stand up against the masses and explain why Beacon is "not a game", I'll just have to dismiss these empty accusations and instead go read the reviews of the game elsewhere made by folks who actually put some thought behind their words.

Honestly, I'm almost already fed up with being here. I originally avoided this crowd because I figured there was nothing Beacon had to offer them, but after the support it received in the cage match, I thought maybe there was a whole new group of people that I could reach out to with the game. But it's hardly worth it at this point, with the childish and hateful responses I've been getting. I've got bigger fish to fry.

#35 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:57 AM

It doesn`t take alot of thought to know what those negative comments are trying to say.

In a nutshell, this is more of an "atmospheric interactive experience" than a full "game" - because there is no sense of progression, no goal to work towards, no winning or losing.
That`s not to say this is a "bad thing" - I like the mood/feeling you`ve achieved alot - just that the majority out there expect "more" & with what you`ve given looking & feeling so damn nice, it leaves everone wanting much more than usual...

Personally, I would love to see this turned into a "game" with purpose & *muuuch* expanded on, but I guess it ain`t gonna happen & wasn`t your intention.

Anyway, keep uo the great work! :D

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#36 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:18 AM

That's the problem, those statements don't mean anything, and anybody who has years of experience designing games is aware of this.

In a nutshell, this is more of an "atmospheric interactive experience" than a full "game"

It's not, though. That's like standing outside of a house, and saying that the house has nothing in it before you walk inside. The other dozens of people who have reviewed the game have given explicit descriptions of their gaming experience. For example, you say...

because there is no sense of progression, no goal to work towards, no winning or losing.

But that's no different than saying, "there's no coins, there's no double-jumping!" So what? Those just aren't things IN this game. When you go outside for a bike ride, do you expect to win or lose? No, you just want to get excercise, enjoy the wind in your hair, watch the sun set, and hope you don't accidentally crash and kill yourself.

Look at it this way: you win if you get to the end and enjoy the experience of getting there. You lose if you don't feel anything when you play the game. Just because the game doesn't explicitly spoon-feed it to you doesn't mean it's not there. And sense of progression? Here are a couple quotes from reviews of the game:

The pacing, in my opinion, is perfect: slow and contemplative to start, it gradually speeds up, and introduces in stages the myriad details that make the game shine.

The beacon will occasionally take a branching path that is out of your reach, and you would have to rely on the light from blue and red crystals just as often to progress.

his interesting concept gives way for some really neat ideas (too many for me to go through), while Chevy gradually increases the challenge waiting in every level.

he difficulty was perfect for me - just as an area started to get frustrating, I'd beat it.

Very nice mood and polish. I love the graphics, and the gameplay is progressively more and more difficult. i haven't played to the end at the moment, but i did get pretty far.

How can one deny, after reading all those comments (many written by seasoned game developers and reviewers), that a sense progression does not exist in this game? I'm forced to disregard such statements because of their contradictive nature, and assume that the people saying them merely, to continue the metaphor, didn't "go in the house". If you didn't feel these things, you most likely just didn't play the game, you merely scratched the surface and are formulating an unfounded response. Judging a book by its cover, so to speak.

I'm very glad you enjoyed the game, especially the aspects that I pushed the hardest. But it is naive to break the definition of "game" down into a distinct set of qualities, and judge every game based on those qualities in respect to all other games. Rating systems like the YoYo one are primitive and amateurish in this way, which most likely has a lot to do with the amount of clones, reproductions, and generally uninspired games in this community.

just that the majority out there expect "more" & with what you`ve given looking & feeling so damn nice

You're definitely wrong here. You say majority, but realize that Yoyo games does not represent the majority. In fact, I had barely even received a single bad word about Beacon until I came here, which is why I've been rather disappointed so far. The Game Maker Community doesn't have to encourage innovation or anything, but judging creations so intensely with a grading system far outside the game's representative design? It's like punishing people for trying new things, instead of giving them helpful and creative feedback, or simply opening your mind a bit when you play a game.

I'm not arguing to defend myself or my game, I'm arguing because if you honestly believe those things about Beacon, you're most likely digging yourself a hole as far as your own creations and interpretations of games go. Beacon was my largest success by far over the internet, and has earned me more praise than anything else I've made to date, and I'm arguing because to simply refuse to see and believe the aspects of Beacon that got it such an overwhelming response is just denying yourself a possible chance at the same thing in the future.

I've been designing games for years now, and I know exactly where Beacon has faults, and how it can be improved as a game. And it is not because it is not a "game" (a naive and silly thing to even say, this is about as intellectually stimulating as Kongregate comments...), and it is not because it lacks "gameplay" or "fun". Those sentences don't even mean anything, those are just YoYo Games categories that can represent a myriad of different things based on the game and audience, and should be considered on a case-to-case basis. Don't ask whether or not "Beacon has gameplay", ask yourself "What is Beacon's gameplay, and where does it lie? What are its merits, and what are its faults?"

I'm no professional game designer, but I know that if you want to make something that reaches out to people beyond this community, expanding the way you think about games and thinking more deeply when making design decisions is an excellent place to start. If you guys were just gamers, I wouldn't be writing all of this, but you're all potential game developers, and some of you have promise I don't want to see wasted.

#37 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

Well, I would simply disagree.
I`m about as much of a game junkie as it`s possible to be - into any genre so long as the game is good - from C64 to PS3...
& I can honestly say in the history of gaming to date, in the vast majority of games available, those features of a "game" that I pointed out are present & are imo, what help to define the experience as being a "game".

I admit that you progress in your "game" - but I argue that (I personally) don`t feel as tho` I "have made progress" or "progressed" as such in it - as in I don`t feel I have gotten anywhere beyond where I was already.
Games imo, need a sense of achievement - a purpose - a goal (& usually but not necessarily an end (win/lose scenario).
I highlight there what I truly think seperates a "game" from an experimental interactive experience.
A sense of achievement. - Yep. That comment is easily shredded, but I think you know what I`m getting at.

I admire your spriting skills.
I admire the simple strength of your design.
I admire the polished presentation.
but I question that it can be defined as a "game"...
or at least if it is, then I would argue that it has poor "gameplay".
These things are only words & words only really have meaning by association...
& what I associate "game" & "gameplay" with is different than what I`ve experienced with your "game".

To my mind if your "game" is definied/presented as a "game" then it is severely lacking,
but if it is defined/presented as an "experience" then it is very interesting.

Please bear in mind that I found your "game" very interesting with alot to like, but it falls into what I would call an "interactive experiene" moreso than a "game" - that is all I am saying really.

Perhaps as time goes on (& I see it happening more often, & perhaps is already the case) the term "game" will become similar to the term "art" & any debate about it`s nature or definition will be utterly futile...
& this is not a bad thing, it simply means that there is more creativity & expression out there.

Goodluck!

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#38 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:17 AM

Interesting point of view, thank you for your thoughts! I had trouble reading some of it, but I think I get the gist of what you're saying.

#39 The Guy 123

The Guy 123

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

I noticed this game on Ludum Dare and it was a pretty decent game (for a game that was made in 48 Hours).
Anyway atmosphere has a nice touch to it and the ending, well the ending was meh... after being frustrated at this game for dying all the time, but still it's a very good game
If you had more time it would have probably been a much better game (obviously). Too bad you didn't win.

3 OUT OF 5

TheGuy123

#40 Drakemaster

Drakemaster

GMC Member

• 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:33 AM

Wow. I really feel that you included everything this game really needed.
The only complaint I have is that it wasn't longer, and maybe that there was not very many awe inspiring environs after you first come accross the crystals. I felt that the game would really benefit from some strange and beautiful subterranean places that you mindlessly wander through as you make your way towards the beacon.

The graphics were perfect.
I loved the black creatures escaping into the shadows.
I appreciate the excellent edge-grabbing.
I want to share this game with people, you definitely have a future in game design.

#41 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1891 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

In a nutshell, this is more of an "atmospheric interactive experience" than a full "game" - because there is no sense of progression, no goal to work towards, no winning or losing.

I'm sorry, what?

What, exactly makes a game now? Did this definition change at some point? You're a guy who jumps through a cave, trying to survive. There are plenty of ways to die. You can fail to catch up to the beacon, rush too much ahead, mis-time the glowing red stones, fail a jump or get impaled by spikes. So how is there no winning or losing? Does not having a limited amount of lives or a time limit make a game have "no winning or losing"? Does this mean Resident Evil 5 is not a game? Does it mean Halo is not a game? Does it mean most modern games are not games?

I see platforming going on here, and while there aren't enemies there are still dangers. Is N+ not a game because it has no enemies? I just... I just fail to see what people are trying to say here, I honestly do. Is it because there's not track of your score? Because the game focuses more on atmosphere and survival for the sake of it? Is, and this is important, Out of This World not a game? If your answer to that last one was no, then I guess if the best game in history is not a game, then I don't want to play games.

Personally, I view Beacon as very similar to Out of This World. There's your protagonist, lost in a place where the rules are different, without a specific goal who goes with the only options available to them. The story is told to you without anything truly being said, and yet everything is said. You know exactly what goes through your character's mind because you are feeling it too.

Videogames are about pushing buttons and feeling things. Not just fun or frustration, but those too. In Silent Hill you feel dread. You feel gloom. You feel worry and fear. You don't at any point in Silent Hill feel fun. This is because Silent Hill is not a fun game. It's still a game, though. And it's still a good game even though the feelings it evokes aren't good.

If you wanna' say you think a game is boring, and it didn't make you feel anything, just say so. Don't say it's "not a game".

If you still want to insist that this is the case, I'd like to hear why Out of This World and Silent Hill aren't games.

Edited by zeddidragon, 16 October 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#gmc - The totally awesome GMC IRC
Radical — NeaPunch.gif - PsychoPow.gif - DuoShip.png - stefanWalkAndTalk.gif - katiecat.png — Creations
Radical — The Consuming Shadow - Sienna - Turnabout Substitution - Ben There, Dan That — Recommendations

#42 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

Awesome, zeddidragon. This is actually the 3rd time I've had someone use the Silent Hill games to defend Beacon's game status! Makes me happy, mostly because SH2 was one of my core inspirations while designing the game.

#43 Vizorslash

Vizorslash

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Beacon is a game. (Look at that change of heart...)

It's focus may not be gameplay (IMO that's why you lost the CM(besides the people who didn't like you or the game for no reason)) but it still involves pressing butoons, etc. There may not be real sense of progression (I didn't find any) but that could be explained in completely different ways. (For example: It has no real sense of progression because you're going forever nowhere because you are in a cavern, caverns are repetitive I think?)
Though I haven't finished the game I'm stuck on the last level (I think) Beacon's primary focus is atmosphere, no? For some people they might understand this and be "affected" by it. I understand what you are trying to do with the atmosphere, but I'm not an emotional person and I needed to be influenced more to fully realise the atmosphere.

Again, excellent work on the Sprites and the platform engine, and in response to the action packed game thing (In CM) not all games have to be action packed. I wasn't trying to say that.

Finally, I think you should have added a story or attempted more to immerse the player.

Good luck in your other projects.

#44 ChevyRay

ChevyRay

GMC Member

• 237 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:35 AM

Adding a story would have most certainly made the game worse. The minimal story it has already (or even the larger story that it could possibly allude to) is much more interesting than one written right into the game. Also, I already had enough people complaining about the little bits of text there are already, so more could only have been a bad thing.

I'm not much of an emotional person either, neither am I immersed by games or even convinced at any point that their worlds exist or they even could exist. The fourth wall doesn't matter to me, because it's basically something that always stands between me and a piece of fiction. But what I do know is that there's a different level of immersion that comes through a certain amount of simple insight, and that's my tool of the trade when it comes to really understanding a game's (or movie's or book's, etc.) subtext or deeper meaning. Or even just enjoying it at the level it was designed to be.

Again, excellent work on the Sprites and the platform engine, and in response to the action packed game thing (In CM) not all games have to be action packed. I wasn't trying to say that.

No problem, I would never assume that anybody would mean that. It's a pretty brazen/rare thing for anybody to say. My response didn't infer that that's how I understood your comment anyways.

I appreciate the posts, guys. Also...

Finally, I think you should have added a story or attempted more to immerse the player.

You should follow statements like these with some thought-out examples :) it makes it much easier for me to respond to them, or even understand what you're trying to suggest. "A story" can mean a multitude of things, some good, some bad, and depending on what you're trying to achieve with a game, you don't always want a story. So I'm wondering what kind of story you're thinking about, how it would/should be told, and how it would improve or elaborate on what Beacon was created to achieve. A lot of immersion comes through in a game's detail, and Beacon could have had more detail in thousands and thousands of ways, many which I unfortunately didn't (or haven't yet had the chance to) apply yet. A guy's imagination can only go so far, but I agree that as long as the details and atmostphere contribute to (as opposed to distracting from) the core game experience, then I totally agree, and sometimes wish more games would lay these kinds of things on thicker, and concentrate more on immersion.

#45 Drakemaster

Drakemaster

GMC Member

• 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

I still think you should add strange and beautiful subterranean landmarks/places that the character wanders past in his mindless pursuit of the beacon.

#46 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

I suppose that could make the game interesting, however adding too many "landmarks" would detract from the feeling of loneliness and isolation. Reading this entire topic, I like the way you (Chevy) respond to biased and opinionated criticism that is not backed by fact maturely, highlighting the faults of these so-called critiques instead of childishly accusing them of being "stupid" and passing them off as nothing more than people who "hate my awesome game." I feel that you would be a very good role model to other aspiring game developers.

-ev149

I ain't 'round these parts too much no more...

InfraTerrra

#47 Phoenix849

Phoenix849

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:24 PM

Insane difficulty kills atmosphere. It's too hard. How could I pass it if beacon moves faster than me? If not cliff hanging, maybe I could try to chase him, but that's nearly impossible. I played Jumper quite a bit:

http://www.yoyogames...s/91-jumper-two
http://www.yoyogames...58-jumper-three

...so I'm not a noob I hope. First I really liked this minimalistic atmosphere, but it's more hardcore platformer than a dark adventure =(.

#48 Graviton Software

Graviton Software

GMC Member

• 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

I realy enjoyed this top marks great stuff ! :)