• Version:GM8

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

GMNewton 1.0 Waterslide Demonstration

Posted Image
Youtube Video

Play now!
On YoYo Games
Download

Simulating over 200 individual physical particles at 30 fps on modern hardware in Game Maker is always fun :lol: Take a ride down this waterslide to see for yourself!

This Demonstration was made using GM6.1 and GMNewton 1.0 - the free 3d physics engine for GM. It was released in conjunction with GMNewton 1.0 to celebrate the version update. If you want to add 3d physics to your own game, feel free to look at the GMNewton GMC Topic!

Info
Runs at: 640x480
Made with: GM 6.1
Runs on Vista: Yes

Thanks for taking the time to check this out!
-hanson

Edited by hanson, 04 September 2009 - 01:18 AM.

#2 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

doesn't look much like water, more like little ball things. sometimes is runs at 30 frames, but most of the time it runs at 25 for me. the shadows look nice, how did you make them? newton is awesome.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#3 hanson

hanson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:25 AM

Thanks!
Do you have any better suggestions for rendering water in 3d in Game Maker based on particle's positions? I'd love to hear them if anybody has any!
The shadows are pre-baked as a texture in blender 3d. This project was a lot of work graphics-wise, but I'm happy with the results :) The physics and all were actually pretty easy, it's environment that kills me to make ;) Luckily my friend Asdam was willing to help out with 3d modeling and texturing - I'm okay but he's better!

#4 queviltai

queviltai

Cat

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

this is actually really awesome. I don't mind that the ball tings don't look like water; whatever they are, they look great.

#5 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2616 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:28 PM

this is near correct, though solids work a tad different from liquids
Just had my 10-year forum anniversary. Feeling - Even - Older.
Awards & Recognitions:
Spoiler

[I have a nasty habit of writing "it is" simply as "it". Please forgive me, I try to avoid it.]

#6 -master-

-master-

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

took a look. the balls i would say are far too big. what i would do is use a pre determined graphic for water until the user is close enough. then, when they are "in" the slide, i would use the same amount of balls but a lot smaller being generated just behind the user so they pass by them and then as soon as they are a bit away they regenerate back behind.
of course balls dont really give a good impersonation of water. A completely different method would be to use a surface for the water with a random x coordinate pattern to show ripples (it would of course need some pattern though). then as it goes down the slide, it follows it by choosing its angle (such as around corners) by judging the rate of the turn.

but of course, i know nothing of 3d other than modelling in cad programs.

either way, its a nice representation.

#7 hanson

hanson

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

What kind of an fps are you guys getting? I get a pretty consistent 30 fps.

-hanson

#8 HvE

HvE

GMC Member

• 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

I think this looked great. I have never programmed 3d but this makes me tempted to try it. :)

#9 celebraces

celebraces

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 956 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

Runs at full 30 fps for me :whistle:.

The trip down the slide actually runs right next to the slide for me though...