37 replies to this topic

#1 jobro

jobro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1265 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:25 PM

I'm curious as to if any person here has been using Steam to distrubute games? What was the main obstacles for doing that?

#2 wa1do_13

wa1do_13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

I don't think any game maker games have been distributed with Steam, considering they're (as far as I know) almost entirely 3D. I looked around once, I couldn't find any- I guess Steam is really for the top dogs.

#3 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

Not exactly. Look in the Indie section of the Steam store~

There are plenty of 2D games in there. Although I'm sure Valve has a quality bar for games they let on Steam.(not speaking graphics quality, per se)

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

I don't think any game maker games have been distributed with Steam, considering they're (as far as I know) almost entirely 3D. I looked around once, I couldn't find any- I guess Steam is really for the top dogs.

I have no idea if there are any GM games on there, but I can say that they certainly are not entirely 3d.

I 'think' I read somewhere that they turned down Immortal Defense, but not sure about this.

Edit: You might be interested in this:
http://studioeres.co...php?topic=279.0

Edited by Desert Dog, 22 August 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#5 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4172 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:25 AM

In the near future I plan to contact Valve and try to get many of my games put on there. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'll most likely be rejected, just like many other GM games I've heard about. It's worth a try though.

Oh and I heard somewhere that if Valve know the game's made in GM, they won't accept it.

#6 voltain

voltain

V.C.G

• GMC Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

Oh and I heard somewhere that if Valve know the game's made in GM, they won't accept it.

I won't be suprised if that was true since GM games are so easy to hack into. I guess that is good reason for both valve and the game developer since I wouldn't want a game that I worked on for a year to be commercial thrown around the internet in different free version forms.

#7 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3019 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:42 PM

I really doubt they'd have an intentional no-GM policy, unless GM exes are incompatible with their DRM, in which case they wouldn't have to 'find out' that it was made with GM, it would be obvious that it didn't work.

However, Steam is not an open platform. You can't just choose to put your games on it.

I have not even tried to submit a game through Steam because I don't currently have a title that I think is a good fit for their market; I may re-evaluate that when my next title is complete.

#8 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:33 AM

A nice idea...there are plenty of 2D games on Steam, so why not?

-Tv

Edited by True Valhalla, 09 June 2010 - 11:45 PM.

#9 ev149

ev149

NinetySix Design

• GMC Member
  • 1035 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

I don't think that any GM games have accepted to the Steam marketplace, but if you could make a great game, I would think they'd put it up in the indie section. Unless, of course, it conflicts with their DRM, as hpapillon said.

#10 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1829 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

there have been a few gm games which have begun the process of getting on steam (not mine; they don't reply to my emails) but none as of yet are on steam. chickenatemydonuts / sharp sapphire told me he was in negotiations with them at one point, but that he never finished his game.

i haven't heard of an anti-gm policy, unless it's an informal one where the people making the decisions there have a bias against gm games or something, which wouldn't surprise me because plenty of l33t programmers see gm as a kiddie toy, even in the indie games community there are people who think less of a game just because it's made in gm. it's not pervasive, but it's common

#11 killzerslaul

killzerslaul

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

Lol, funny that someone posted about this, as I was trying to find out about distributing games via Steam just recently. I understand why people think less of GM, as it is easy to hack, easier to code, less versatile, slower, and less optimised than the languages normally used.

#12 K3fka

K3fka

Game Designer

• 561 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

Less versatile? With DLLs, it can gain the functionality of basically anything else another language can do.

#13 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1829 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

Less versatile? With DLLs, it can gain the functionality of basically anything else another language can do.

except multi-platform: no GM on mac (yet) or linux for example

#14 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:27 AM

except multi-platform: no GM on mac (yet) or linux for example

I wouldn't consider it a real loss, anyway. Most first-party games(especially FPS's on Steam) seem to run on DirectX as well.

Windows heavily caters towards gamers, and most gamers use Windows. :whistle:

Although the Mac port had a beta, didn't it? So technically GM is cross-platform now.
I would like to see Linux in the future, nonetheless. :P

#15 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

We'll there is a recent GM game coming to PSN and XBLA. Spelunky by Derek Yu, it was his first GM game and it's being ported to consoles with some new features aswell as HD graphics. That same version may come to steam.

#16 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1829 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

he's remaking it for C# though, it's not the actual game maker file that's going on the xbla

#17 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:11 PM

That's kind of too bad but good at the same time and at least a GM game has gone that far, that's got to be a step in the right direction.

#18 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3019 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:26 AM

I understand why people think less of GM, as it is easy to hack, easier to code, less versatile, slower, and less optimised than the languages normally used.

You'd be surprised - MANY games (especially made by small companies) are easy to hack, slower than you might think, not very optimised, etc. Certainly not everything, and the restrictions of a particular coding environment make a big difference, but don't think that all programming outside of GM is somehow magically perfect. There are PLENTY of lazy coders in the world, and even people who've worked for big companies can tell you entertaining stories of stupid hacks they've done to get something almost-working at the last minute...

at least a GM game has gone that far, that's got to be a step in the right direction.

That's not even the first console game prototyped in GM that *I've* heard of, and I'm sure there are more that I haven't heard of, because most professionals don't hang out on the GMC and tell you that they're using the same software you are. :D

#19 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:30 AM

That's not even the first console game prototyped in GM that *I've* heard of, and I'm sure there are more that I haven't heard of, because most professionals don't hang out on the GMC and tell you that they're using the same software you are. :D

It seems that Mr. Chubigans, got someone to program his game ShellBlast for Xbox360, but yeah, I read a dev-blog, where a professional team proto-typed their game in GM, before making it for the DS

For all interested, here's the link, if you wish to read:
http://www.gamasutra...actors_the_.php

#20 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1831 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:50 AM

[...]and even people who've worked for big companies can tell you entertaining stories of stupid hacks they've done to get something almost-working at the last minute...
[...]

Indeed they can:
http://www.gamasutra...ding_tricks.php
It's a pretty funny article on that very subject!

#21 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:39 PM

[...]and even people who've worked for big companies can tell you entertaining stories of stupid hacks they've done to get something almost-working at the last minute...
[...]

Indeed they can:
http://www.gamasutra...ding_tricks.php
It's a pretty funny article on that very subject!

Ha! That submission about patches sounded veeery reminiscent... :D That's a cool little article!

#22 vmlweb

vmlweb

GMC Member

• 117 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

I think maybe a 3d game might get on too because look at this.
http://store.steampo....com/app/32400/

#23 Tahnok

Tahnok

Friendly Madman

• GMC Member
  • 1831 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

I think maybe a 3d game might get on too because look at this.
http://store.steampo....com/app/32400/

That game was released almost 15 years ago, when those kinds of primitive graphics were more acceptable. I'm not saying that there's no chance they'll take a GM 3D game (though it seems pretty unlikely), but it's not valid to compare a classic that Steam re-released and a new game you're trying to submit.

#24 Glen

Glen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

I would find it quite an accomplishment to find a GM game accepted by Steam. *Adds to my to-do list*

Edited by Glen, 01 October 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#25 sevcik.daniel

sevcik.daniel

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Sorry for opening old topic but i've tried to make the in-game Steam API works in my GM game. Only thing you need to do is resizing display resolution to any that fits your game. You can try it if it's working by adding new non-steam game into your list and it will add API automatically.

#26 Crollo

Crollo

GMC Troll

• GMC Member
  • 1019 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

What was the main obstacles for doing that?

For starters nobody knows how the hell to get them on there in the first place. (Including me, nor do i have any interest anyways.)

#27 FmMan3

FmMan3

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

What was the main obstacles for doing that?

For starters nobody knows how the hell to get them on there in the first place. (Including me, nor do i have any interest anyways.)

I was at first going to leave a very sarcastic post telling you how absurd your post was but instead I opted to post the following links instead.

http://www.steampowe...com/steamworks/

http://www.steampowe...tingstarted.php

https://partner.stea...cumentation/api

Okay, thank you and goodbye.

P.S. I've been looking into this for a while and firstly if you wish to get your game on Steam, you're going to need to have it on other sites for sale and have some pretty darn good reviews before they'll even consider your game. It's not bias against Game Maker, I believe it would be bias against the games quality.

I also ran through some market calculations recently and being open to a potential 25 million customers is a VERY big deal. Here's a little snippet of what I mean.

Let's say that you decide to sell your VERY good quality game at $5. There are a potential 25M customers but thinking somewhat realisticly let's imagine that 25% of that 25M people decided to try the demo out on steam, that would leave 6,250,000 (six-million, two-hundred and fifty thousand) potential customers. Let us now pull another figure out of the air and say 10% of that 6.25m people felt that an investment would be worth while. That leaves us with 625,000 customers (six-hundred and twenty-five thousand). At $5 each that gives you a total income of $3,125,000. Yes, you'll make a killing BUT, Valve does take a slice of that and let's imagine that in your negotiation with them you and Valve came to an agreement that you would split profit with them at 25%. Your overall earnings would be $781,250. Remember however, you may still need to split money with other people/companies if you are using 3rd part DLL's such as FMOD etc.

Anywho, my point is, with that sort of potential Valve are NOT going to take you seriously if you don't have something worth while so honestly, don't even think about making a game just because you hope that it will get to Steam. Make a game and if over time you get a huge amount of great reviews and a ton of sales, then contact Valve otherwise it'll be wasted time.

tl;dr - yeah.

P.P.S Just for a laugh I thought I'd leave this here. Did you know, that if you had a conversion factor (the amount of people who buy the game after playing the demo) of 100% out of that 25 Million customers you would end up making $125,000,000 if you sold your game at a mere $5... I'm off to bed now, we can all dream right?

Edited by FmMan3, 16 June 2010 - 07:47 AM.

#28 thenoller

thenoller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:20 AM

I know this is an old topic, but.. Maybe they just changed in the past year, or maybe we're not talking about the same Steam, but I can not recognize this image of Valves' huge game-service.

There are things in there that look like they were done with GM's native 3D-functions, and games that are hardly games (and some that definitely were made under the influence of strong mind-expanding drugs - like "The Graveyard").

Also a game that might as well have been made using GM (and only it's internal editors) is "VVVVVVV". A game like "Eets" just looks too much like something done in flash (not in the good way), and I'm not saying these are bad games at all. I'm just saying that I've seen what GM-users can do, and at times it is just as extensive and professional looking!

#29 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:36 AM

I'm pretty sure VVVVVVVV was done in flash.

#30 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 3019 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:12 AM

It looks like we finally have an answer to the long-pondered question of whether you can sell a GM game on steam:

http://store.steampo...200_200_254_103

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users