#1 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

DESCRIPTION

Run, jump, lift, and throw your way through Block World. Mega block man is a 3d adventure platformer. There are new enemies, 20 levels, and 5 bosses. There is a simple level editor. This took me about a month to make; starting from scratch and using drawing code from my previous Block man games. Changing the difficulty changes the movement of the player and the health you start out with. if you have a game controller, plug it in, and run the game. You can pretend your playing an N64, back in the good ol days.

game jolt has screen shots

Game Jolt

You Tube game play

Original Mega Block Man

INTERNAL METRICS

87 sprites
36 backgrounds
45 scripts
1 font
131 objects
16 sounds
4 rooms

Edited by slayer 64, 12 January 2015 - 02:30 AM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#2 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:07 PM

Finally! I have been waiting for this. :)
[Irving]|[StixFuture]|[R0B0 W4LK 2]|[BxdLunch Games Forum(Weirdness Awaits)]|[Meh Blog!]
Current Projects
-The_Tower
<---Hard Core Insanity that blows your mind...*BOOM* ow...
My Pixel Joint Page

#3 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:46 PM

Stunning game! :P

Frame rate is smooth as silk even with maximum draw distance.

Loved the original - & this is better.

Really proves that 3D games can be made with GM *& run well & fast if you code it right*.

One of the top 3D GM games out there.

Editor is *top notch* & really makes this a very satisfying, complete package. :D

Looks like there is a ton of neat levels.

Crits would be:

1. Textures are very weak - could be alot better.

2. Level design is pretty nice - but suffers from "unknown depth issues" (if that makes sense) with alot of the jumping -
an easy solve for this would be to have the "jump off" point differently colored than the rest or to have an arrow.
Hope that made sense (it effects the game badly & could be easily fixed).

3. Music is weak (alot of familiar tunes there...) - would be so much better with real original music - also, being midi means we have the dreaded "GM midi looping bug" that "pauses the game (which can lead to frustrating deaths). Consider using supersound .dll & .ogg (totally free to use) maybe in future!

4. Character control is pretty good - no glitches as such, but control of movement after jumping could be improved.

Suggestion:
Make all the textures external (as the backgrounds are) so we can create new ones :D...
might also be good for you, if a good artist comes along with much better textures, you could replace your ones for the better ones.

Congrats on making one of the top ten GM games I've seen :)
Best of luck! :)

EDIT: Love the spiders! ;)

Edited by dadio, 20 August 2009 - 06:47 PM.

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#4 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Awesome game! I agree with dadio; this is probably the best 3d game I have ever seen made with Gamemaker! 10/10! I also do agree, though, that the textures could be a little better. Nice work!

#5 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

Real nice, although your collisions are a little off :P

Edited by luis148, 21 August 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#6 dyblee

dyblee

GMC Member

• 153 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:05 AM

This Game Is Awsome!!!!!!

#7 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:44 PM

How do I kill those annoying desert fly things?

#8 Igloo

Igloo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

Very cool but also VERY frustrating.

#9 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:27 AM

The frustration is primarily down to not knowing what "depth" you are jumping at (as I mentioned earlier) *I think*.
It results in so many deaths that would otherwise be avoided.
You should go back into the game & put some kind of indicators on exactly where you should jump from to land properly on the block after each "gap".
(Like different colored/tinted blocks or an arrow).

Really is a fine piece of work apart from that tho :)

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#10 dyblee

dyblee

GMC Member

• 153 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:04 AM

how do I kill those stupid desert flys!?

#11 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:38 AM

hehe, the only way to kill the desert wasps (flys) is to lure them into something dangerous, like flames or spikes. your best bet in escaping the wasps is to run away jumping and screaming like a little school girl.

i should do something about the depth, it is little hard to tell. i don't see what's wrong with my collisions, what is "off" about them?

thanks for everyones feedback.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#12 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:41 AM

lol, well in that case then they should be tons slower, that open area with 4 flies kill me every time.. they're way too difficult to dodge. Also, the friction is really, really too low. >_<

#13 Holy Fruit

Holy Fruit

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

The game is awesome,should i say perfect?
I especially like the screaming when hitted by fire or so...
5/5 by my opinion,still gonna play
reality is not solid

#14 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2992 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:04 PM

Its nice...But it did frustrate me...i still can't get past the first level.
Other than that. Good Job. Its pretty neat <_<

If the post that you are reading was created prior to 2011. For the safety of the general public, It is not to be regarded under any circumstances.
Please don't ask me to join your group at anything.

#15 XeroxZ

XeroxZ

GMC Member

• 773 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

Very nice! Reminds me of Super Mario 64. I love it. Can't say that I love the friction, though. You should do something about that. Right now, I feel like I'm gliding all over the place and spend more time in the water than I do on land. Advanced puzzles, etc, would really be sweet. Keep going with it. NOT done!

Edit: c'mon man.. slow down those desert wasps :whistle:

Edit 2:
d3d_transform_add_translation(x+5,y+5,dp5F_+6); d3d_model_draw(obj_loader.S379P_v___75,0,0,0,MV635
H9_u_9v); d3d_transform_set_identity(); d3d_transform_set_identity(); d3d_transform_add_rotation_y(-Mg_x_p+90); d3d_transform_add_rotation_z(Smb3p64); d3d_transform_add_translation(x+5,y+5,dp5F_+10); d3d_model_draw(obj_loader.a9_e5,0,5,-4,j1ZZ_3HG3); d3d_transform_set_identity();

at position 232: Unknown variable Y_B__

and a lot of other funny stuff after I beat the lava/bomb boss. was about to load the ice world. or at least it looked like it. well, you know what I mean.

Edited by XeroxZ, 29 August 2009 - 05:53 AM.

#16 Straikasz

Straikasz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

awesome game ! made it till lava pits2 and im sure i gonna play a lot more... just one thing... all music sucks campared to clint eastwood it fits game so well... i deleted all other music to listen only to clint eastwood when playing :rambo 5/5 great game! :whistle:
Posted Image

#17 Spaceoff

Spaceoff

Orbital Debris

• GMC Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

Wow, this was really awesome, nice work...
Picking up the enemies on the first boss is really annoying... sometimes I just jump into the water and he follows me and gets hurt...hehe...

Edited by Spaceoff, 29 August 2009 - 02:01 PM.

#18 Straikasz

Straikasz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:32 PM

first and second bosses are a lot harder than lava pits boss... it was soo easy!

EDIT:

how can i beat snow storm 3?! i found red box and wooden box but still cant reach red box and cant get on wall....

Edited by Straikasz, 29 August 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Posted Image

#19 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:28 PM

XeroXz
ahh, you must have downloaded the game from host-A. i forgot to update that one. re-download the game and replace the save file with the one you have now, so u don't have to beat the game all over again.
Straikasz
to get past that part in snow storm 3, pick up the box, get a good run and a high jump. Throw the box into the red switch and you can get up that wall.

lol, i knew putting in Clint Eastwood would be a good idea.
Th4nks for the comm3nts every1!!!!

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#20 Straikasz

Straikasz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

snow storm 3 is f***ing annoying, why do you put that little yellow arrow near a tops of blue blinking blocks? i reached taht place with full health i was happy and though finally i gonna beat that level but no... i jumped over spiked and pressed down to stop sliding but then i reached that yellow arrow and view started to rote and i felt to first floor again... I give up...
Posted Image

#21 MousseMoose

MousseMoose

GMC Member

• 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

How do I place things like enemies in the editor?
Secret Project - 0.017% Complete

#22 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:22 AM

Straikasz
rofl. your getting close to beating the game.

MousseMoose
there are lots of thing in the editor. use the scroll bar to see them all. its that white rectangle.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#23 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:08 AM

Right now I'm up to mechanica 4. I don't know how I managed to get this far without breaking my computer screen, but I hope I finish this damn game soon. It's too addicting.. Also, you really need shadows. I can't tell where the hell I am half the time due to depth issues, even some simple lighting would help..

Lol I don't think even you beat this level, seriously that last stretch is just not fair.

Omg.. I did it! I got a final score of 261. I actually did want to fight a final boss though.. why didn't you add one? :/

Edited by brod, 31 August 2009 - 02:50 AM.

#24 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

brod
i couldn't think of one, but i figure i would leave myself with an opening for a sequel.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#25 Straikasz

Straikasz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

brod
i couldn't think of one, but i figure i would leave myself with an opening for a sequel.

please, make sequal.Mega block man 3 sound great :GM060: but ull need something more than just a new levels i would love to see detailed environment, reflections on ice and cool stuff like that.Good luck!
Posted Image

#26 Lamby-Games

Lamby-Games

SLAM Games Team

• 256 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Simply amazing game, slayer64. By the way, I've done a review on this game for my Blog.
The LambyGames Website
Blog l News l Links l Games l And More...

#27 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

Straikasz
i will defiantly add some trees or something in mega block man 3

Lamby-Games
thanks. And thanks for the review.

i made it so you can change the difficulty of the movement. i hope the movement on EASY makes you people happy, it should be more like mega block man 1, because there's friction in the air.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#28 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

This is great, really addictive!

How do you beat the first boss? He just stands there sleeping, and when he chases me I can't do nothing do defeat it, except falling in the water, as he falls in too. But then there appears red spiders that I can't kill, again, except pushing them to the water.

#29 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

How do you beat the first boss? He just stands there sleeping, and when he chases me I can't do nothing do defeat it, except falling in the water, as he falls in too. But then there appears red spiders that I can't kill, again, except pushing them to the water.

You can pick them up with Z

#30 Lamby-Games

Lamby-Games

SLAM Games Team

• 256 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:12 AM

You can pick them up with Z

I think the picking up should be improved on; I'm constantly getting hit by enemies when I try to pick them up... Perhaps jump on top of them, press Z, then they're picked up? Except, then jumping on monsters shouldn't hurt you.
The LambyGames Website

#31 AuthenticKaizen

AuthenticKaizen

GMC Member

• 140 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

nice game. solid engine. good work.

except for the boss encounter.
as Zcccc already mentioned it isnt very clear what to do...
at first when there was only the boss without his little crabs i didnt found any other way to harm him except to jump into the water in order that he follows me as well...
then there appeared these little crabs which you can pick up and throw away.
but the collision is not very friendly so you loose energy nearly every time you try to pick up the crab.

as said maybe jumping on them to stun them, then you can pick them up without being harmed.

another things to improve:
-i find the sounds when you get hit a bit annoying. changing these sounds would improve the gaming experience.

-also the fast flying block in the 2nd world isnt very balanced.

->i highly recommend that you try to include the conventional platformer mechanics:
jumping on enemies is allowed.

#32 Lamby-Games

Lamby-Games

SLAM Games Team

• 256 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

nice game. solid engine. good work.

except for the boss encounter.
as Zcccc already mentioned it isnt very clear what to do...
at first when there was only the boss without his little crabs i didnt found any other way to harm him except to jump into the water in order that he follows me as well...
then there appeared these little crabs which you can pick up and throw away.
but the collision is not very friendly so you loose energy nearly every time you try to pick up the crab.

as said maybe jumping on them to stun them, then you can pick them up without being harmed.

another things to improve:
-i find the sounds when you get hit a bit annoying. changing these sounds would improve the gaming experience.

-also the fast flying block in the 2nd world isnt very balanced.

->i highly recommend that you try to include the conventional platformer mechanics:
jumping on enemies is allowed.

I think the "Jump-Stun-Grab" system sounds best.
The LambyGames Website

#33 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Just completed it, finally.... This could be a great big game if you follow some of the crits already mencioned, like improving the graphics, sound and some gameplay issues. I'm up for the sequel!

#34 Tingly

Tingly

GMC Member

• 137 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

Me and my bro love this game... Tell tho man, where can I find that Sonic boss theme song remix, that is AWESOME hahaha... so many memorys hearing that brought back.

ALso, if one inexpereinced GMer wanted to start on the road to learning how to make third person 3d games such as thing, any tips on where you started learning? Thanks

#35 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

Tingly
i learned game maker through trial and error; making things and then making them better.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#36 Tingly

Tingly

GMC Member

• 137 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:19 PM

OKay so that sonic song got me pumped and I started doing a speed run

Here it is!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kNZrhKGe7dM

Despite some early and mid level difficults with the water and that big drop, I regained form towards the end to bring in a world record 1.22 score for level 1 ,

I welcome any challengers hahaa

Tingly
i learned game maker through trial and error; making things and then making them better.

Sweet, I do that and also a multiude of tutorials and examples cos I am not a natural at this haha.

#37 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:23 PM

thanks for all the comments everyone.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#38 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:55 AM

Just wanna say again, great game.
I love the simple 3D you went with - it really works.
Sorry ya didn`t do well int eh cage match - for what it`s worth I think your game blew the other out of the water in terms of playability & replayability & length & technical achievement.
Look forward to future games from you! :rolleyes:

(Sort out the depth detection problems (clearer where exactly to jump from each time) & will be much better/less frustrating! ::lmao::

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#39 artist

artist

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

this is an awesome game very fun! :rolleyes:

i dont think u should have continue next to new game thou.i accidentally hit new game & i had to start the whole thing all over after i got past this really hard sand level! ::lmao::

any chance u might make like a tutorial on how to make a 3d game like this? i bet its alot of coding!!
good game! ;)

#40 Yambam

Yambam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

Is there a tip for the grass land boss?

EDIT1: I am in the lava place right now

Edited by Yambam, 07 October 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#41 Baconface

Baconface

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

This game is really fun and well made, and challenging too. The level editor is powerful (but not as powerful as the one in the youtube videos) and the music choices are nice. I've already beaten it, and I can say that Snow Storm 3 and some parts of Mechanica are the hardest in the game.

I've been composing little songs for personal use in the game for each level. Currently I have made the boss and Lava Pit themes, but they're still not done.

#42 Yambam

Yambam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

I want an tip for snow storm 3

#43 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

to beat snowstorm 3, you'll need endurance, stamina, patience, timing, and lots of pepsi. use the wood box to activate the red switch so you can climb the unjumpable part.

thanks for the comment's everyone. :)

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#44 artist

artist

GMC Member

• 145 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

hey i have 3 questions? :skull:

1 will u make a 3rd? :skull:

2 is there a way i can make my own (game)?? like play my 1st level,then it goes to my 2nd etc???

3 has anyone tried this?? made a level with a platform where u have to jump on top of an enemies head to get up to the platform?? lol haha :)

cool game just needs better 3d models. and more enemies & traps. :P

#45 humodz

humodz

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

(map editor) how do I make platforms, that just "float" without connecting with the land?I mean, when I increase Z and draw a platform, it "connects" with the water and turns in some sort of "pillar"

great game, but waps are way too fast ,the character needs more friction with the ground, and when we press "new game", and already have a save data, a confirmation should appear

I could hardly reach mechanica, I think I stopped at level 3 or 4.then acidentally I pressed "new game" and got to start it over =P

another way to kill the wasp: when its goin to you, jump in the water before it reaches you. it will drown

suggestions:
-war tanks
Posted Image
-landmines
-snakes
-doors/keys
-teleports
-2-player mode
-enemies that can be destroyed by jumping on them
-walking snowmen
-jumping spiders
-text balloons(that pop out while the player is near some sort of indicator, like a sign or exclamation mark
-checkpoints

Edited by humodz, 26 December 2009 - 01:08 AM.

#46 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:06 AM

First: use a ceiling a (blue rounded rectangle).

second - suggestions should go in the MBM3 WIP topic.

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#47 humodz

humodz

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:15 AM

Im searching for that topic(now), but whats "WIP"??
If it doesn't bother you, can you please get me the link?

#48 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

WIP=work in progress

link

The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

The destination is much harder to reach when you don't want to walk towards it.

#49 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:14 AM

Amazing engine! The level editor is golden too--I've seen tons of 2D level editors that are worse than this (including my own... ;) ). I only have a couple complaints, all of which I think have been mentioned:

1.) Get some new textures. Not only are a lot of them weak, but I'm pretty sure I recognized some of them straight from the resources that come with Game Maker. Also, the background in the horizon--you can see the edges. They don't blend very well :/
2.) Get some original music that isn't midi. Sounds like you just used vgmusic.com for most of the tracks. Also, I think if you had different music for each world (and boss music and title music and such) it would go over better than cycling through all the game's tracks. If you want, I might be able to do some music for you, but I imagine you have other plans.
3.) Get some new sounds. It's not too hard to find or make good sounds. If you don't already know of it, you can try sfxr.exe for sounds. It's meant for 8-bit sounds, but I think you could easily generate some much better sounds for this game than you already have.
So, in a nutshell, I strongly suggest you revise your resources.

Also, it'd be quite awesome if you had a glass texture which you could see partially through :huh:

Happy GMing!

EDIT: Oops, didn't know about the WIP thread. Ah well, I didn't give that many suggestions anywhos

Edited by BENJAMUS, 28 December 2009 - 02:19 AM.

#50 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

been more than 24 hours.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png