HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

FULL GAME TOPIC

Lite Town Wars
A shooter being made in 7.0 Lite with fake 3D visuals

Since I'm currently waiting for Softwrap to get back to me about registering GM7 Pro again, I've decided to make a game in Lite. I've always been a fan of "fake 3D", and most of this game was to try to get 3D in Lite looking as decent as I can.

As well as that, I'm trying to make it as good as I can. I'm moving into things I've personally not really gone near before - the need to reload weapons after the clip has been emptied, multiple weapons, levelling up with maximum HP, etc.

There is a minor depth issue with bridges/shadows connected to skyscrapers - I'm unlikely to try fixing this since it's only really noticeable if you stop looking around.

Currently, there are no enemies (the pink blocks will be enemies once I've coded them, though at the moment they're basically walls). This build is mostly for playing about in the game area, and glitch testing. You can fire all four of the weapons, though there's no real point in it.

If you find any errors in the world other than the depth issue with bridges/their shadows (at one certain angle, the bridge is drawn infront of the building it's connected to when it should be behind), please let me know. It should hopefully be glitch free though - ammo seems to deplete correctly, I've not found any way of getting stuck in things, the shadow from bridges is correctly drawn over anything under it, and everything seems to be connected properly.

I'm also looking for inventive enemy ideas. The inactive-at-the-moment pink blocks will simply walk towards you and explode on impact. They can't be vastly complicated visually - sprites can't be rotated in Pro, only twisted over a series of frames, and drawing blocks and things will eventually take its toll on the FPS of the game. I doubt I'll add any more weapons, I'm happy with the four there are.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Any comments whatsoever are welcomed if they're helpful - compliments, constructive criticism, ideas, glitch reports etc. Below, you can find a couple of screenshots, the controls and the downloads. Thanks!

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image
Pre-0.3

Posted Image

Old screenshots: Pre-0.1

Controls

W/A/S/D: Move
Mouse: Turn
Mouse Left Click: Shoot
Mouse Right Click: Reload
1/2/3/4: Change weapon (1 = Pistol, 2 = Uzi, 3 = Rocket Launcher, 4 = Grenade)
L: Level up (temporary)
F4: Toggle fullscreen
Esc: Quit

The game locks your mouse to the centre of the screen, however if you minimise the game with Alt+Tab, the game will let go. I plan on, in later versions, having Esc pause and unlock the mouse.

Download
Version 0.3: 2.81MB (MOST RECENT)
Version 0.2: 2.25MB
Version 0.1: 2.21MB

Edited by NAL, 25 August 2009 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

#2 D1g1talAli3n

D1g1talAli3n

BoyGenius

• GMC Member
  • 965 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

This is Amazing! I have totally no idea how you made it so much like 'real' 3d! :(

Posted Image

#3 reigalius

reigalius

Generally Awesome

• 1170 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

This is Amazing! I have totally no idea how you made it so much like 'real' 3d! :(

Draw lines based on the position of the view compared to the position of the object. Not really that complicated if you see an example. Still, this is nice and clean fake 3d. Those shadows must have been hard to do over a multi-leveled terrain though. Good work.
And by the way, its not an FPS its a TDS (Top Down Shooter).

Oh yeah, and now I'll actually try it ^-^;

Really good start you have here. I like the mouse lock feature. Are you going to make the walls have texture to them (could easily just draw lines on them to make windows, etc) and the people be actual people looking or are you going to leave it the way it is?

Edited by reigalius, 15 August 2009 - 07:17 PM.

#4 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

This is Amazing! I have totally no idea how you made it so much like 'real' 3d!

I'd answer, but reigalius beet me to it :(

its not an FPS its a TDS

I meant FPS as in "Frames per second", not "First person shooter" :P

Really good start you have here. I like the mouse lock feature. Are you going to make the walls have texture to them (could easily just draw lines on them to make windows, etc) and the people be actual people looking or are you going to leave it the way it is?

I'm not sure yet. If I turn them into people, they'll probably be very simple, human-shaped objects. Even if these enemies remain as cubes, later enemies will be bigger and made better (I'll probably go on a "robot" theme since they look fine if they're simple).

About textures/windows - I'm not sure. I may well give them a go and see if they have too much impact in the run speed, or if they're graphically snazzy enough to leave in.

Edited by NAL, 15 August 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Posted Image

#5 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

Amazing!
Can I see an example of the fake 3d, its really awesome how you managed to do it in lite!
Once you get the main game engine done with the main objects and features you should change the textures to make the game look really good.
10/10!

#6 araknid

araknid

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

a very good start. the rts in my signature (hasn't been released) uses the same idea to draw fake 3d buildings, but it uses textured primitives (i'm a pro user) :) its a fun technique to use, its very realistic :P

gameply is good, movement is fluid and the controls are nice and obvious :) i'm wondering if the game should be moved on to textures when you get pro... it'd look more realistic, but not necessarily better. i like the "tron" style (well, thats what i was reminded of)

gameplay should be good once there are real enemies :)

oh, make sure the tops of the structures arent TOO far away from their bases, because otherwise that could look weird (e.g. the pyramids) you seem to have it ok now, but watch out for it.

|=Araknid=|

#7 RamboFox

RamboFox

Tainted Fortune

• 992 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:12 AM

I took my chances - and had a look, and I gotta admit, the system was quite well done with the exception of the crosshair.

Here's a suggestion (and I advise you to take it): Make it so that the crosshair can be moved upwards/downwards (of the screen - not depthwise) just the same as you can move the crosshair left and right - it will make the game feel less restricted with aiming (it will feel more natural.

Keep up the awesome work! :)
(And gratz on making it in Lite *thumbsup*)

#8 Obj_Control

Obj_Control

GM Mentor

• 2561 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:32 AM

That, my friend, is great.

Anywhere I could possibly learn this technique? :)

#9 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

I'm planning on releasing the source with it, so if you want to see how it's done, you'll be able to. :)

Posted Image

#10 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

I'm planning on releasing the source with it, so if you want to see how it's done, you'll be able to. :)

Great, you should do that

#11 Igloo

Igloo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Really nice for a fake 3d engine. I give it 10/10 for innovation. Must have been a pain to make.

#12 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

New screenshot and demo. Not a huge amount has changed - I've optimised some of the drawn objects so the game should run a little faster, the grenade and rocket launcher are now fully functional, the floor pattern is minutely different, and a couple of glitches have been fixed. The pink blocks are still null, though. :P See the first post for the demo/screenshot.

Posted Image

#13 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Nice fake 3d view! I like how it's not completely topdown.

It seems to have some depthproblems when it comes to the shadows. When viewed from a certain angle, the shadows barely overlap the buildings (but it's not a very big deal)

Looking forward to see your source. I'm quite into fake 3d myself, will be fun to see someone else's engine.

#14 bobhoil

bobhoil

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1606 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Wow, that is some very nice fake 3d. Being able to see the angles and such on the buildings make the game look really nice even though there isn't much detail. Can't wait to see this become more of a game!

300x50.png 

Check out my website at: BobHoil.com

#15 magma24

magma24

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

Like the update

Keep it up