mixmax2

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Top-Down Tactical Espionage Action
Metal Gear Solid: Remnants of the Patriots

Screenshots
Posted ImagePosted Image

Description: MGS: Remnants of the Patriots is my first project using Game Maker, and I was inspired to start it because I am an avid Metal Gear fan and I thought it would be extremely fun to try my hand at making my own game featuring the characters, and my own storyline. My goal is to incorporate as many game-play aspects of the actual series, sans any limitations brought on by my lack of knowledge or the top down view.

Features (Features not yet created are crossed out, everything coded by me unless credit is stated):
  • Stealth and Action game play.
  • Weapon and Melee combat
  • Functioning Enemy AI (Responds to sight and sound)
  • Weapon and Item Menu's
  • Functioning Laser Sight (Special Thanks to Grievous) and dynamically drawn line of sight cones.
  • Circular Mini-map
  • Linear Storyline following the aftermath of MGS4.
  • Unique Boss Battles pushing the limits of the Top-Down Shooter Genre
  • Metal Gear Soundtrack and sound-effects
  • Unique backgrounds, all in-game graphics custom made.
  • And much much more!

Controls:
  • Navigate Main Menu: Up-Down Arrows
  • Select Main Menu Option: Space bar
  • Movement: W-A-S-D
  • Stealth: Hold LCtrl
  • Sprint: Hold LAlt
  • Open Weapon Menu: Hold E
  • Scroll Through Weapon Menu: W-S while Holding E
  • View Enemy Line of Sight: Hold V
  • Aim Current Weapon: Hold Right Mouse
  • Fire Current Weapon: Press/Hold Left Mouse
  • Curve bullet with pistols: Hold Left Mouse after/while firing
  • Reload Current Weapon: Press R (Tech Demo has no extra ammunition for you to be able to use this)
  • Turn On/Off Laser Sight: Press Middle Mouse Button
  • Use melee attacks: F

Tech Demo Game-play Instructions:
This level you'll be playing is the tech demo for my engine so far, it's very bare-bones. If you want to restart it, restart the game >____>. Walk,Run,or sprint around, pickup the items, and see how the guard responds to you. Everything is object oriented so it doesn't matter if there is 1 guard in the level, or 100 (Don't get excited though, the tech demo only has one). While making this I did not at all optimize it for slower computers, so please don't complain if your computer can't run it without excessive tearing/lag. The tech demo contains two weapons, the MK23 Pistol (Silenced), and the AK47. These weapons have their own firing speeds, ammunition quanitities, and they create their own amounts of sound. Sound is a factor for the enemy, so running or sprint when near them is not advised. Just play around with the demo for a bit, so you get a small glimpse of what I'm striving to achieve with game maker.

Posting instructions:
Please don't reply with any negative comments, I am also not looking for any bug reports (The only reason I am including the demo is because it is required), just play the tech demo, and leave any IDEAS you might have about possible game-play additions, or just leave other feedback on the overall project thus-far.

Tech Demo Download 08/13/09 (Yes 9 MB, Code/Graphics/Sounds)
Posted Image

Edited by mixmax2, 15 August 2009 - 03:31 PM.

#2 mixmax2

mixmax2

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

Update 08/15/09: Finished working on a functioning minimap, replaced the second screenshot with an updated one showing off the minimap. (The downloadable won't reflect any changes made)

Edited by mixmax2, 15 August 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#3 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

You might want to try an isometric style. I've have two examples games I started but never eally finished you're welcome to use the code, but not the sprites[at least the ones I created].

Example 1 [activate panels to escape the levels and rescue hostages without getting caught ithink you can shoor stuff with ctrl shift or space depends which chest you open I forget]
Isometric Sneak Engine

Example 2 [free your captured friend without getting caught PRESS SPACEBAR to see how the enemy's vision works]
Agent Mauve

Edited by Viloen, 15 August 2009 - 09:55 PM.

#4 mixmax2

mixmax2

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

You might want to try an isometric style. I've have two examples games I started but never eally finished you're welcome to use the code, but not the sprites[at least the ones I created].

Example 1 [activate panels to escape the levels and rescue hostages without getting caught ithink you can shoor stuff with ctrl shift or space depends which chest you open I forget]
Isometric Sneak Engine

Example 2 [free your captured friend without getting caught PRESS SPACEBAR to see how the enemy's vision works]
Agent Mauve

I'm personally not a fan of isometric games, and it also wouldn't work for the game-play style of the game, but thank you for the suggestion.

#5 wa1do_13

wa1do_13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

Wow, this is actually not half bad. Sure, there's still quite a long way to go and the controls could use improvement, but it's a decent WIP. And you say this is your first GM project? Even more impressive.

#6 mixmax2

mixmax2

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

Wow, this is actually not half bad. Sure, there's still quite a long way to go and the controls could use improvement, but it's a decent WIP. And you say this is your first GM project? Even more impressive.

Thank you, yeah it's my first GM project, but I've programmed a few flash games and I know alot of web languages and C, so it wasn't my first coding endeavor.

#7 Viloen

Viloen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

Isometric Sneak Engine

Agent Mauve

I'm personally not a fan of isometric games, and it also wouldn't work for the game-play style of the game, but thank you for the suggestion.

There's no reason why this type of gameplay wouldn't work in an isometric format. In fact, hiding would be more immersive as you could draw structures that block one another[crates behind buildings and such]. In any case good luck on your project.

#8 david9537

david9537

GMC Member

• 182 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

i ,too am not a fan of isometric games because the controls confuse me to the maximage

finally a good looking mgs fangame

ur game looks pretty decent
just make the story the way hideo kojima wud have made it
in other words, make it rad

#9 david9537

david9537

GMC Member

• 182 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

y isnt this topic getting any replies
i think its pretty good

#10 david9537