The_tower

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

This is a demo for my upcoming game, The Tower. It is basically a game with multiple art styles, the first of which is in the demo.

I would like it if you gave me some information on what you thought about it.Or at least rated it or even better, review it.

I will also release an update every time I finish a world.

Art Styles: In the demo
Flashy:This art style is heavily inspired by cactus's Evac. But it has it's many differences. I utilized the flashiness and added a checkerboard background to the rooms which results in a difficult maze in every level.
Twitch:The second world (Since each world is 25 levels long with new concepts, They gradually work to hard again but don't worry they are still fun.)
Not yet in the demo
The Machine:The elevator is broke, oh god, Now you have to go and fix it all the way back down at the bottom. This world will involve a nice art style, but it's main feature is focusing on light. You only see a small space, and you have to use power-ups to light up the screen. This world will also have one of the two boss battles in the game.I'm going for a slightly retro look which isn't too stylish but it dosn't really need to be because of the dark rule.[This will be in version 3]
In the machine(Name not official):This takes place in the boss's head and it's main highlight is the fact that everything moves, and I mean darn near everything. Hazards,platforms and rotating lazers require you to keep on your toes. It will look like a tv screen that is buggy,with a new color every five levels.[In version 3]
Pscychodelic: It is a flashy, world where big levels are the highlight, savepoints here are every 5 levels instead of 25 but it takes longer to get there. The levels here are also crazy with all concepts used before.[In final version]
I wanna quit: This world is based on hard concepts kind of like I wanna be the guy, but this world isn't required as you can do Psychodelic instead, but I am trying to decide whether to do this world or something else but it will be in the final version so I'll keep updating.

Features in the next version

Tutorial:This will start the story and introduce concepts that are in every world. It will be fun and hillarious.
Cutscenes:These serve as short introductions to the world. Nothing long just a little movie.
Save Points:For those who don't have the time to beat the whole game.
In Version 3
Skips:Every World you get one skip for you which you can use when you want in any world. You can save them for when things get tough, or use them if something bothers you.
Guidebook:I will add this into the tutorial in version 3, it will be a basic guide book for reference to difficult problems like strategies and stuff, I will have a simple version of it in version 2, but it will be easier to use.
The Machine:The elevator is broke, oh god, Now you have to go and fix it all the way back down at the bottom. This world will involve a nice art style, but it's main feature is focusing on light. You only see a small space, and you have to use power-ups to light up the screen. This world will also have one of the two boss battles in the game.[This will be in version 3]
Link: http://www.yoyogames...mes/show/92650#

Screenshots ^_^
[1][2]

UserBar
Posted Image
[url="http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=443855"][img]http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/4714/ubd6786.png[/img][/url]

Edited by BxdLunch, 29 August 2009 - 05:29 PM.

[Irving]|[StixFuture]|[R0B0 W4LK 2]|[BxdLunch Games Forum(Weirdness Awaits)]|[Meh Blog!]
Current Projects
-The_Tower
<---Hard Core Insanity that blows your mind...*BOOM* ow...
My Pixel Joint Page

#2 Jonlas

Jonlas

GMC Member

• 128 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

It was really unique ^_^ i liked it.
You could make the flashing platforms different colour for more visibility :(

Altough my eyes are bleeding now X)

Click image to visit our page!
Xbox live gamertag: aKtimelli

#3 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

It was really unique ^_^ i liked it.
You could make the flashing platforms different colour for more visibility :(

Altough my eyes are bleeding now X)

I loved making it and the worlds will all be either nuts or cool, I am getting plays left and right on it today (Well compared to usually)
[Irving]|[StixFuture]|[R0B0 W4LK 2]|[BxdLunch Games Forum(Weirdness Awaits)]|[Meh Blog!]
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#4 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Here is a screenshot of the new world in the game.
Posted Image
it looks better when you are playing...

Edited by BxdLunch, 14 August 2009 - 06:51 PM.

Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#5 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Played it all the way through, the level designs are interesting and fun :rolleyes:. Keep up the good work :)
Posted ImageLinx~

#6 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

Played it all the way through, the level designs are interesting and fun :P. Keep up the good work :(

I will, This game is working well, and the bosses are already figured out, and they are weird. This will probably be my entry in the contest on the YYG Forums.
I was suprised when cactus played it, and I wouldn't have known if I hadn't had checked out his profile page. :(
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#7 Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

Clever mechanic. I like the idea. Though I'd like to see a few more obstacles thrown in than just spikes.
Keep up the good work.

#8 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Clever mechanic. I like the idea. Though I'd like to see a few more obstacles thrown in than just spikes.
Keep up the good work.

Every world I plan to add new obstacles(usually specific to that world) This way nobody gets bored. but in the world's where say, the style is more of a sight obstructing thing, I will probably work with only spikes or add a special but easy to avoid obstacle.
All I have to do is finish a few levels and add the skips, savepoints, and cutscenes, and version 2 will be released.
:(:CHICKN! :P
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#9 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

I was thinking on making the second half of the game kind of a non linear area, in these areas, they will be the same as the few areas before, but you must choose one of three paths to do.

Do you think I should do this?
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#10 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Bad News, the tutorial, skips, and cutscenes are going into version 2 while the next world and savepoints are going into version 1.5
Good news,I might release version 1.5 today, that or tommorow.
I'll keep the news up.
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#11 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:26 PM

After Almost losing my entire game, I recovered it, and Version 1.5 is out now!
It has world 2 and save points in it.

Congrats to my dad for helping recover it. :)
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#12 killzerslaul

killzerslaul

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 519 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

After Almost losing my entire game, I recovered it, and Version 1.5 is out now!
It has world 2 and save points in it.

Congrats to my dad for helping recover it. :)

Hey, remember you can only double post if your first post is two days old.

Screens look good, I might play later but don't have time now.

lies.

#13 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

World three is turning out great here is a screenshot
Posted Image
The dude by the switch is you with the laser power up.

Edited by BxdLunch, 23 August 2009 - 03:43 PM.

Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#14 posva

posva

GMC Member

• 610 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:46 PM

it's an original concept but i recommend you not to continue developping this game cause it's really bad for your eyes... (im serious)

#15 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

it's an original concept but i recommend you not to continue developping this game cause it's really bad for your eyes... (im serious)

I'll put up a warning but the later levels aren't so bad.
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#16 gamer freak

gamer freak

Voice of Logic

• 402 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

I played a little while into World 2, got bored, and quit. What this game needs is some type of storyline. I also noticed that the sprite of the character always faces right, even when the last direction faced is left.

#17 posva

posva

GMC Member

• 610 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

I'll put up a warning but the later levels aren't so bad.

i din't play very much since it hurts xD i played only the first two levels, maybe other sort of transitions, more smooth will be better, i mostly say to you, not to others player, beacuse you're the developper and you must have to test it, so it make a lot of time hurting your eyes...

#18 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

I played a little while into World 2, got bored, and quit. What this game needs is some type of storyline. I also noticed that the sprite of the character always faces right, even when the last direction faced is left.

The sprite thing I am begining to fix because I needed to for world 3 and as for the storyline, there is one I just am waiting till version 3 to put it in. It involves a hobo with a dollar bill. You (the hobo) are chasing it, the first two worlds have probably the least story but enough to entertain you, while any worlds after are going to have some serious story or at least funny cutscenes.

Edited by BxdLunch, 24 August 2009 - 10:36 PM.

Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#19 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Well I showed a preview of my game as part of the first assignment in my algebra class (a bag of stuff about yourself) so far every loved it and my teacher was impressed. So far world 3 is coming along nicely and I've got the boss pretty figured out.
I'm hoping to release the next update by at least october.
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#20 epicCreations

epicCreations

Cool As Ace

• 1241 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

This is madness! 3/5

1 star because the sound sucks (no music/crap sounds) and another because the second world isn't art, it's TORTURE! xD

#21 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:22 PM

The first boss is currently in progress, I'll notify you guys when he is done.
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page

#22 BxdLunch

BxdLunch

Demon Executive

• 85 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Right now I'm having some trouble deciding on a style for world 4, I have so many ideas but either, they aren't good enough, or they are too many to pick from. So I am really needing some help with this. I have three ideas for it but I need you guys to pick one or suggest one.
Note:These take place in a mind.
My current Ideas

- A random colored world where you do puzzles like in lab 14 or karoshi.
- A tv screen world were you avoid all sorts of moving hazards.
- An exploration style level that made with lines similar to innoquous but is slightly different.
- A laser crazy world where lines litter the screen.
Current Projects
-The_Tower
My Pixel Joint Page