Boxes

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:12 AM

The objective: stay alive. Dodge falling boxes, waves of boxes, lava, and collect power-ups while climbing as high as you can. Includes an online highscore table and 45 unlockable achievements!
Total initial production time: 3 weeks.

Instant Play!
Download! 4.77 MB

Posted Image
NOTE: If you notice lag or the FPS (Press F2) is lower than 25 please go into the options and lower the graphics settings.
More Screen Shots: Screen 1 Screen 2

Online Highscores!
NOTE: In game, if you show up as 501 your rank is really lower -- the game only loads the top 500 scores. To see all the scores click the link above.

Please tell me what you think! :D

Edited by lol23, 14 December 2010 - 03:03 AM.

Boxes "one of the best games ever created with Game Maker"
"I love it! Absolutely amazing.", "fun, addicting, and it never gets old", "...a masterpiece", "My friends...and I are all addicted."
"Nice, simple concept", "one of the best GM games I've ever played", "You should change the font to something else than Arial"
"This games insane!", "I did not enjoy this game...This is nothing more than a flashy version of the flash game Avalanche"
"I really enjoyed this game", "Great concept, perfect graphics and music, perfectly executed gameplay, and TONS of replay value"
"awesome game", "Splendid game", "excellent job"

#2 GammaFoxTBG

GammaFoxTBG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 399 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:44 AM

I really enjoyed this game, the graphics were simple but had some nice effects, the game-play was also simple, but also had some interesting features. I laughed when I got the achievement 'Staying Alive'. :D Good job, I think the online highscores are another nice touch to give it a really nice "easy to pick up but hard to master" effect.

#3 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:08 PM

Haha ^_^ Glad this game is getting some good comments.

I updated a minor muting bug...fortunately this will not affect any data, including on YoYo Games!
"I love it! Absolutely amazing.", "fun, addicting, and it never gets old", "...a masterpiece", "My friends...and I are all addicted."
"Nice, simple concept", "one of the best GM games I've ever played", "You should change the font to something else than Arial"
"This games insane!", "I did not enjoy this game...This is nothing more than a flashy version of the flash game Avalanche"
"I really enjoyed this game", "Great concept, perfect graphics and music, perfectly executed gameplay, and TONS of replay value"

#4 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

This was a very well-made game! I especially liked the special effects like the screen shakes, and the graphical style is great! Well done; 10/10!

#5 kalzme

kalzme

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

cool game.

Please check out this poll on the GMC about why so many Game Maker projects tend to fail.

logo_sig_zpsb37dc078.png

#6 dadio

dadio

Potato King

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2740 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Nice, simple concept.
*Very* slick style & presentation :GM060:
(one of the most professional looking GM games out there imho).

Keep up the great work!

AczgxAZ.png5aj9t5.jpg

#7 vadim647

vadim647

Quite Epic

• 840 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:06 PM

This was nice, except the randomness when two blocks fall near each other, leaving the only chance for survival to get between them, which requires more timing skills.
We'll meet again, if you will find me.

#8 K3fka

K3fka

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:54 PM

WOW! This was an amazing game! Great concept, perfect graphics and music, perfectly executed gameplay, and TONS of replay value because of the achievements! I rated this 5 stars on YYG and this is one of the best GM games I've ever played.

#9 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:45 AM

I FIXED a bug in the online score reading. If you do not update you will only be able to see scores 1-50. If you do update you will be able to see scores 1-1000.
This will NOT affect MOST (90%) people's data (basically achievements).

Update meaning re-downloading from host-a, and updating on YoYo.

Thank you all for your great comments!

Edited by lol23, 14 August 2009 - 03:46 AM.

#10 FruitPlusVeggies

FruitPlusVeggies

GMC Member

• 238 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:19 AM

awesome game

Edited by FruitPlusVeggies, 16 August 2009 - 04:19 AM.

#11 Vizorslash

Vizorslash

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

Very fun game. It had some pretty good music and the gameplay was addictive. The only thing I can think of is more achievments and more 'bad things' like the lava and waves. Maybe you could have falling exploding boxes that explode on impact with a box or you. Anyway, awesome game and great job.

#12 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thank you! As a matter of fact sometimes the waves have exploding boxes instead of the normal boxes. Maybe I will try to think of another danger to avoid, I also may add more achievements sometime in the future.

#13 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

Wow great game, the special effects and concept are perfect :(

Suggestions:
-Adding an option when you ask to quit saying "Retry"
-Survival Mode "See how long you can last"
-Extreme Mode "Start off with 2 rows of regular blocks, then the rest of the time its spawning exploding blocks (occasionally it will spawn regular blocks too?)
-When you get a powerup you havent got before, the game kind of pauses and explains what it does?

Edited by linx137520, 16 August 2009 - 03:49 PM.

Posted ImageLinx~

#14 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:01 PM

Instead of a "Retry" option, you can just press F5 during the game to restart.
"Survival Mode" Well the point of the game is to survive :(
And as far as the powerups, that's what the help is for although that is a good idea. I may consider that.

I think I am going to add more modes, that is a good suggestion.
I was thinking of having "Wave Survival" see how many waves you can survive.
I think that "Extreme" would be interesting as well, I'll see what I can do there...

Thanks for your suggestions!

#15 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:10 PM

Instead of a "Retry" option, you can just press F5 during the game to restart.
"Survival Mode" Well the point of the game is to survive :(
And as far as the powerups, that's what the help is for although that is a good idea. I may consider that.

I think I am going to add more modes, that is a good suggestion.
I was thinking of having "Wave Survival" see how many waves you can survive.
I think that "Extreme" would be interesting as well, I'll see what I can do there...

Thanks for your suggestions!

Haha, true the point of the game is to survive :P. I meant the score would be based off of time rather than points though :o
I really should have looked at the help though :(
Wave Survival sounds fun :P. I hope you continue this game, it reminds me of games like Feeding frenzy and Zuma :P.
Posted ImageLinx~

#16 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:00 PM

Splendid game. Simple concept, effective execution.

The production value etched into this game is unlike I've seen in many(any) other GM game before. Excellent job.

It's earned a home among my collection of games.
-- My blog. --

#17 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:52 AM

Update: The Online Highscores security has been improved greatly!
You will not be able to submit any scores until you update your game!

Thank you all for your support!

#18 Rolfero

Rolfero

GMC Member

• 144 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:48 PM

This certainly deserves a reward!

#19 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Very good game! I play this alot! :) This should be featured!

#20 Troutmonkey

Troutmonkey

GMC Member

• 178 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:53 PM

Great game, very simple to pick up and play but very addictive!
A new game to play when theres not much on at work!
Thanks!
Lethal Pong: Tournament Pong with shooting, defensive moves, a random ball and 6 unique unlockable bats.
Citadel Skies (WIP) Aerial Dogfighting with smart enemy AI, great graphics and effects and an epic story
www.alice40k.tripod.com Great Warhammer 40k recources including free list making software.

#21 K3fka

K3fka

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I see you quoted me in the topic description. :)
My friends that I've showed this game to and I are all addicted. When I played, I kept going, "Just one more time."

#22 Obilink

Obilink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Wow...I never thought I would say this...

My Review:

Boxes, by lol23, is one of the best, if not the best, games ever created with Game Maker. I could not find a flaw. Amazing. With wonderful music, simple yet fun graphics, and addicting, varied, and challenging game-play, along with great extras, including achievements and online high-scores, Boxes is the perfect Game Maker game.

~ Obilink

EDIT: Thanks for using me in the topic description. :)

Edited by Obilink, 20 August 2009 - 04:36 AM.

#23 Troutmonkey

Troutmonkey

GMC Member

• 178 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

I now have a pet have for the explosive box wave, so far have only passed 2, each other time I die.
Maybe if only every second box was explosive on that wave? Or skip every second one.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 20 August 2009 - 08:04 AM.

Lethal Pong: Tournament Pong with shooting, defensive moves, a random ball and 6 unique unlockable bats.
Citadel Skies (WIP) Aerial Dogfighting with smart enemy AI, great graphics and effects and an epic story
www.alice40k.tripod.com Great Warhammer 40k recources including free list making software.

#24 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

This games insane! you should enter it in a competition: Look at this one

Man i loved this game, like other people have said, there is nothing wrong with this, it's perfect 5/5 on everything. (apart from story) but why would you need a story.

Great game! well done.

Known as MishMash on the internet, If only my username could be changed :D?

Posted Image

Working on Sharp Edge, a 3D Level designer which exports to GMMOD and textures, with a vast toolset, and fancy GUI. ( So far, software is only going to be distributed with my game, in the future, it will be up for public use and with the ability to customise the software using the Plugin System to suite your games needs.)
Also working on 3D Multiplayer FPS Global Anarchy Denied Operations.

#25 Troutmonkey

Troutmonkey

GMC Member

• 178 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

Just read through the T&C
You win you get $10k and a publishing deal
runner up $5k
You keep ownership of you game

The only issue I can see is the "Staying Alive" sample you have, If you dont already you are going to need permission.

Otherwise I would love to see this game and enter and then win, the more GM publicity the better

#26 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hmm... Perhaps I will enter that contest. Thanks for the link and thanks for the great comments! :P

EDIT: Now, technically using that song is legal because it is used as a parody according to the US fair use doctrine, but if I enter I will remove it just to prevent controversy.

Edited by lol23, 20 August 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#27 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

i will be entering this time round, it'd be cool to see lots of Gm games and like troutmonkey said, it would help Gm get some publicity.

Posted Image

Working on Sharp Edge, a 3D Level designer which exports to GMMOD and textures, with a vast toolset, and fancy GUI. ( So far, software is only going to be distributed with my game, in the future, it will be up for public use and with the ability to customise the software using the Plugin System to suite your games needs.)

#28 jakman4242

jakman4242

Vertical Shmup Junkie

• 3222 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:33 AM

Hmm... Perhaps I will enter that contest. Thanks for the link and thanks for the great comments! :P

EDIT: Now, technically using that song is legal because it is used as a parody according to the US fair use doctrine, but if I enter I will remove it just to prevent controversy.

If you put something in the credits citing the copyright info and such of the song, there shouldn't be any issues.

This is what people do with songs in movies, they don't have to ask the copyright holders, they just have to cite who owns the copyright.

If what I said proves false, you should still be fine. As the game isn't for profit, and it's just a small sample of the song.

Edited by jakman4242, 21 August 2009 - 02:34 AM.

-- My blog. --

#29 gep_150

gep_150

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

Lol Really good game.
Good Work :P
->I am working on this but I need your help.Look this.Please<-

=============
-Block Mine - 100% completed
-Block Heap - 50 % completed -Topic Link-
-Block Maze - 90 % completed
-Falling Asteroids - 50 % completed
-Block Circle TD - 20 % completed
-working on it-

#30 darkai

darkai

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

That's a pretty hardcore score in the #1 slot don't you think?

I guess there IS a flaw in the game lol.

Edited by darkai, 22 August 2009 - 05:15 PM.

#31 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:49 AM

Well, although I did my best to secure the highscores, hackers are always going to find a way around it... Honestly, I can't really do much about it. :)

#32 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

Congratulations on getting featured on yoyogames. :)
HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#33 michael pw

michael pw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1488 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

you can always use gmhighscores, they have long encryption passwords, well hackers could probably get in anyway but it's just an idea.

Posted Image

#34 K3fka

K3fka

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:00 PM

you can always use gmhighscores, they have long encryption passwords, well hackers could probably get in anyway but it's just an idea.

There's no such thing as internet security. Every system can and will be broken at some point, but you appear to know that already. It's not really a big deal, anyway.

Edited by stinkoman_sd2008, 24 August 2009 - 03:00 PM.

#35 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:41 PM

Yea, I really can't do much about it... except delete the hacked scores <_<

#36 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:34 AM

All though the online high scores are pointless the game is very addicting and fun.

omQasih.jpg

#37 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

All though the online high scores are pointless the game is very addicting and fun.

Well, thank you although I have to disagree with that first part. I do not believe that the online scores are pointless, it gives people a sense of where they stand and it adds some subtle competition (and hackers) to the game.

#38 pixelpig

pixelpig

GMC Member

• 805 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

Wow. now, if you excuse me im going to play again.
Click here to PM me if you need help.
Person #6, "Rolfero" -Put this in your sig but add 1 to the Person and mention who you got it from...(only on the GMC)
Decrypt This Challenge: Decrypt this file and PM me the outcome. You will appear on My sig :o (Hint, It has something to do with gamemaker)
upurload.com

#39 Sulfuric

Sulfuric

Nintendo Worshiper

• 1353 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

A very well put together game you have there. It seems rather slow, but I understand a balance is needed so the game isn't too slow, but not so fast that it's impossible. The presentation was outstanding. The graphics were very simple, but you used a style that made them look interesting and polished. The sounds and music were great as well. You also added different wave types and powerups, which really kept the game interesting (the waves could go a little faster though, except the explosive ones :whistle:).

I'm amazed; this is the only game where the main character is a box, yet he actually looks good. It just goes to show what subtle effects and coloring can do to a game's presentation. The only thing I can think of that this game is lacking is a good name. "Boxes" is extremely boring and unoriginal (albeit fitting).

Posted Image
Check out my website (above) for finished and upcoming games.
Solar Blue-The Mansion-God's Watch
Note: My name has changed. My old name was STARFOXROX.

#40 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

Thank you! And yes, it is a very unoriginal name. It was one of those last minute things where the entire game was done and I tried to think of a name for a couple days, then decided "Screw it, I'll just call it 'Boxes'." :snitch:

#41 pixelpig

pixelpig

GMC Member

• 805 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

i found abug.
i went into slomo then landed on an explosive crate and when i came out of slomo the timer was still going slowly.
Click here to PM me if you need help.
Person #6, "Rolfero" -Put this in your sig but add 1 to the Person and mention who you got it from...(only on the GMC)
Decrypt This Challenge: Decrypt this file and PM me the outcome. You will appear on My sig :o (Hint, It has something to do with gamemaker)
upurload.com

#42 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Nice game :lol:
Still, after playing the game and achieving a great score (around 160000 :snitch: ), when submitting it online it gave an error.
Btw the blocks fall a bit too slow i think.

#43 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

UPDATE: I FIXED the online scores! Before, it was not allowing anyone to submit or view the scores. Make sure to update your copy.
Once again, this update WILL NOT affect ANY saved data (on most computers).

#44 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

Still gave me an error when submitting. Are you sure the Yoyogames InstantPlay version is updated?

#45 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Yes, I am sure the YYGames version is updated. It works for me; I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

#46 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

UPDATE!: Added 14 more achievements (Yes, I couldn't go for one more to make it 45), the ability to pick-up one item, 2 other game modes, 2 new types of boxes and 2 unlockables.

Have fun! :)

#47 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:32 AM

Finally! More game modes, i'll be sure to try this out and get back to you :skull:
Posted ImageLinx~

#48 cordynasty

cordynasty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Reminds me of Lumainaire for the PSP. Very nice.

#49 lol23

lol23

GMC Member

• 955 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thank you

#50 Cakefish

Cakefish

I Shot The Sheriff

• GMC Member
  • 1477 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

I see that you have updated this game since I last played it & its still great! Very good indeed.

Congrats, you earned yourself some smileys! :( :( :( B) :( :o

2a7ubuv.jpg