Trapdoor Below (rogue-like) [new 1.20 Version!]

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 David Dark

David Dark

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

Another good roguelike in my collection. Hope you will expand this game further :) GL

#52 Alpha Man

Alpha Man

Game Maker Community

• 258 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

definitely the greatest game of the Adventure & RPG subforum...

... but is there any cheats???

#53 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

definitely the greatest game of the Adventure & RPG subforum...

... but is there any cheats???

Thanks!

There aren't any cheats in the game. :)

#54 joakimfolke

joakimfolke

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:39 PM

I second that...this IS the best adventure/rpg around!

Btw, no chance you'll share the sourcecode?

#55 Kain12309

Kain12309

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hello again, Telchar. I've completed the game yet again. ^^

When I played through it as an angel, I came across another bug. When you are striken with poison, it says the angel is immune to poison, yet he still becomes poisoned.

Also, when I submitted my score to the online list (I made it to #1 again, by the way ^^), it said I was killed by a "ghoul," yet I completed the game without dying (of course).

I'd write more, but I'm just about to leave. Once again, good job on making such a great game. ^^

#56 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hello again, Telchar. I've completed the game yet again. ^^

When I played through it as an angel, I came across another bug. When you are striken with poison, it says the angel is immune to poison, yet he still becomes poisoned.

Also, when I submitted my score to the online list (I made it to #1 again, by the way ^^), it said I was killed by a "ghoul," yet I completed the game without dying (of course).

I'd write more, but I'm just about to leave. Once again, good job on making such a great game. ^^

Thanks!

Strange... Only race that should be immune to poison is a wraith. ;) I check that later.

EDIT:

"Killed by" bug is fixed in 1.20.3 version. Unfortunately file size increased because gm8 won't play mp3 files.

Edited by Telchar, 26 January 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#57 llagerlof

llagerlof

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hi people. This game is amazing because runs in any computer, and satisfy any desire of the explorers and item collectors. I love it.
I have a question: Why you do not create an "official website" for the game? It deserves it.

A hug!

#58 PokerDerk

PokerDerk

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:59 AM

I'm running this in Vista 64 bit and when I get to the part where I can upload my score, the game starts throwing exceptions and crashes. See here:

Posted Image

If I pick ignore, I start getting messages like this:

Posted Image

The only option is abort, which just halts the game entirely. I've tried running in XP SP 2 compatibility mode but the same thing happens.

On an unrelated note, I love the game and I'd also really like to see shops and such as well.

#59 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

Thanks!

The new highscore system doesn't seems to work with GM8. I try to fix it or get a new one.

EDIT: http://www.flowarcade.com/ site is currently down and that's why highscores are not available at the moment.

Hi people. This game is amazing because runs in any computer, and satisfy any desire of the explorers and item collectors. I love it.
I have a question: Why you do not create an "official website" for the game? It deserves it.

A hug!

*hug* The game uses hundreds of objects at the same time but I used really rough deactivation to prevent any possible lag. I could make a official website for the game but I'm too lazy to improve it and balance everything.

Edited by Telchar, 13 April 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#60 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

Any chance there will be a Trapdoor Below 2? I actually play this game sometimes on the week nights whenever I'm bored for a few minutes. I love rogue-likes.

#61 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 12:13 AM

Any chance there will be a Trapdoor Below 2? I actually play this game sometimes on the week nights whenever I'm bored for a few minutes. I love rogue-likes.

I have some ideas how I can improve the gameplay but I have other project going on. Maybe later.

#62 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:15 AM

I have some ideas how I can improve the gameplay but I have other project going on. Maybe later.

May I ask what this project is?

#63 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

May I ask what this project is?

It's a minimalistic rts/rpg game. It was an ascii based game but then I though tiles would be cooler. I always have dreamed about making an intelligent rts AI which builds buildings and search for resources.

Edited by Telchar, 15 April 2010 - 09:29 PM.

#64 PokerDerk

PokerDerk

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

I'll second that it would be nice to make it so we can disable music without disabling sound effects.

Any idea when the score thing is going to be fixed?

Also, I think there's a bug... if you hit an enemy and kill it, it still gets to hit you. I don't know if this behavior is intended, but usually if it's set up so we get to hit first then the enemy does, then if we do enough damage to kill them they don't get to attack when dead.

Also, is there a list anywhere of the benefits of the various races and classes aside from stat bonuses? I'm trying to figure some of them out. Some are obvious, like the Wraith unable to equip armor. But what about the others? I think Undead has a slower hunger rate but I'm not sure. The dwarf, I have no idea what makes them different from a human except when they eat fruit they don't like it, although it does fill them up. Also, when I've eaten too much meat as a dwarf it says "lol" and then moves back down to "satiated". What's that about?

#65 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Any idea when the score thing is going to be fixed?

I don't know. I sent a pm to the site admin and he said he can try to make it work again.

Also, I think there's a bug... if you hit an enemy and kill it, it still gets to hit you. I don't know if this behavior is intended, but usually if it's set up so we get to hit first then the enemy does, then if we do enough damage to kill them they don't get to attack when dead.

In some cases player hits first. Some instances may do their step event before the player but it's a bit random. Let's say some monsters are faster than the player. :D

Also, is there a list anywhere of the benefits of the various races and classes aside from stat bonuses? I'm trying to figure some of them out. Some are obvious, like the Wraith unable to equip armor. But what about the others? I think Undead has a slower hunger rate but I'm not sure. The dwarf, I have no idea what makes them different from a human except when they eat fruit they don't like it, although it does fill them up. Also, when I've eaten too much meat as a dwarf it says "lol" and then moves back down to "satiated". What's that about?

:GM064: The "lol" was the default string for hunger text. It was not intended to work like this. It's now fixed.

Dwarf gets temporary modifiers to his stats for eating different foods, but because this is rogue-like game I'm no revealing all the secrets. ^_^

#66 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

What do you mean by "minimalistic"?

#67 Telchar

Telchar

GMC Member

• 66 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

What do you mean by "minimalistic"?

To make it simple but addictive.

#68 QJaxun

QJaxun

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

Fun little game. Im working on a roguelike of my own and would kill to get a hold of your field of view algorithm. :D

#69 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:41 AM

Fun little game. Im working on a roguelike of my own and would kill to get a hold of your field of view algorithm. :)

Are you talking about the line of sight where monsters start moving towards you?

#70 QJaxun

QJaxun

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:53 AM

Fun little game. Im working on a roguelike of my own and would kill to get a hold of your field of view algorithm. :)

Are you talking about the line of sight where monsters start moving towards you?

That and how the black areas are uncovered/grayed out.

#71 Arucard

Arucard

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:39 AM

I usually love roguelikes, and I was hoping this would be a bit like a cross of Dwarf Fortress/Spelunky...

Then this is what let you down, don't compare this to games that take the roguelike genre and try to extend it into something else. This is a simple Roguelike in the more traditional sense. It would be pretty unfair to compare anything to Dwarf Fortress, and Spelunky is so different it's only inspired by roguelikes. As far as tradition goes, other than offering ascii graphics you can't really get closer to the original gameplay than this.

As for spelling errors, he mentions this more than once and they should be reported so they'll be fixed. (and have been in the past)