Demo 3 at YoyoGames
Demo 3 at GameJolt
Demo 3 at Box.net

Older Demos:
Demo 2
Demo 2 (mirror)
Demo 1

Videos:
Trailer 3 (features Caluroso Desert and Sphin Mountain)
Trailer 2 (features Gysmouth Lake)
Trailer 1 (features Nesteke Forest and FATBUTTS HQ)

My Website: http://www.zazzle.com/technosuperguy

Info:
I started developing this game four years ago, as a spiritual sequel to my Sonic fangame, "Techno the Hedgehog." Although the characters and gameplay are obviously inspired by Sonic and Mega Man, this is not a fangame. It has no connections to the Sega or Capcom universe. I made all the graphics, voices sound effects, and music myself (with help from my brother on a few of the voices).
Sadly, over the years, this game has fallen by the wayside a few times. My last demo was released over two years ago. A few months back, I finally decided to resume work on the project, and by squeezing in a couple hours of design time before work each day, Demo 3 is ready at long last. Although I'm not sure if that's really an accomplishment or not, because at this point, only half of the full game is now complete. *facepalm*
I've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this game, in an effort to make it as smooth, bug-free, and fun as possible. I hope you enjoy it!

Techno: The Gamma Project and all material therein (characters, graphics, animations, music, sound effects, voices, and any material not aforementioned) was created by, is property of, and Copyright TechnoSuperguy. All rights reserved.

Extra Information:
--The game and help file are compressed together in a 20 MB .zip file, so you will need a decompression program like WinZIP to extract the game. You may be able to play the game while it is still in the .zip file, but this is not recommended, since you won't be able to save or load your progress properly.
--This game makes heavy use of the "Westminster" font, so I've included it in the .zip file as well. In order to display the in-game text correctly, you may need to install the font by right-clicking the "WESTM.TTF" file and clicking "Install."

Story:
Two years ago, the government initiated a secret operation codenamed "The Techno Project", and dispatched a team of scientists to a facility known as the Federal Antarctic Technological Base Underground That's Top Secret (or "FATBUTTS", for short). Their mission: To scientifically engineer a bionic "supersoldier" capable of protecting mankind from evil.

As a result of The Techno Project, two supersoldiers were created: a robot named Techno Alpha, and a cyborg named Techno Beta.

Unfortunately, the two "brothers" never saw eye-to-eye, and eventually went their seperate ways. Techno Alpha lived the secluded life of a loner, while Techno Beta went on to become a hero.

Since then, things have been peaceful. But a new villain has suddenly surfaced, and the two bionic supersoldiers will soon cross paths again on their individual missions to stop the evil professor Eugene Poolle from carrying out his plan of world domination, "The Gamma Project"...

Features in this Demo:
--Perfect slope movement (characters don't "bounce" when moving down slopes)
--Certain settings can be changed, to allow the game to run faster on old computers
--Two playable characters, each with his own unique abilities and storyline
--Six large levels with branching routes
--Seven epic boss battles
--All-original graphics, music, and sounds
--Platform shooter gameplay
--Two basic attacks: the Buzzsaw Somersault and Shock Blasters
--Two special attacks: the Green Shockwave and Ultra Transformation
--Hovering and Double-jumping
--Easy-to-learn controls
--Save / Load system
--Game records the amount of points you gain in each level
--Tons of cutscenes explaining the game's storyline
--Cheat code menu
--Pause feature
--"Turbo Zones" where your character runs at even higher velocity and must avoid enemies
--Checkpoints
--Health system
--Life system
--Special effects, like glowing laser beams
--Compatible with Xbox 360 USB controller

Screenshots (click to enlarge):
Techno Beta on his Hoverboard while fighting a boss:
Posted Image

Racing through the desert:
Posted Image

Exploring ancient ruins in the mountains:
Posted Image

More Screens (click links to view):
Beta in Nesteke Forest
Blasting enemies with the Green Shockwave
Trapped by two enemies in Gysmouth Lake
Ultra Techno VS a stingray
Shooting the rapidfire Shock Blaster in FATBUTTS HQ
Strange restrooms...
More Green Shockwave power
Water skiing, Alpha style
A menacing aquatic boss
Alpha VS Rino
A fight against... a tree... robot... thing
A cutscene from Alpha's storyline
Alpha and Mia seeing the sights
Showdown in the desert
Alpha and Mia in the desert
Narrowly avoiding a rocket... cactus?
Meet a stubby-legged ancient robot
An epic battle on the mountain
I'm rooting for the giant beetle

Notes:
Techno: TGP has huge levels, a lot of large graphics, and detailed special effects, so gameplay may be laggy on computers with inadequate RAM or Video/Graphics Memory. If you are experiencing lag, you can try changing certain settings to improve gameplay speed.
--By default, the Nesteke Forest level uses two layers of scrolling backgrounds, to give a nice effect of depth to the forest. Unfortunately, this can cause the level to lag somewhat on certain computers. To fix the problem, go to the Title Screen, then the Options menu. Highlight the "Background Quality" option, and press Z to cycle through alternate settings. "Double-Layered Background" is the default setting, which utilizes two seperate scrolling backgrounds for the level. "Single-Layer Background" utilizes only one scrolling background for the level, which helps improve gameplay speed. If all else fails, use the "No Background" setting, which turns off the background altogether. NOTE: These settings only affect the Nesteke Forest level.

In Conclusion
If you like the game, please drop by my website, TechnoSuperguy Creations, where you can find cool Techno: TGP products and more info on the characters!

As previously said, I've spent a lot of time on this game, so I'd appreciate some feedback! I hope you like it!

Edited by TechnoSuperguy, 10 September 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#2 jackaroo

jackaroo

The Shadow Within

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

Very well done TSG. Ive been looking forward to this and its good to see that its come out just as awesome as id hoped.
The gameplay is alot of fun and the levels are well designed. Although those precise platforming bits on Nesteke Forest can be a bit tricky but still that could just be me sucking lol.
The graphics are really nice too. I especially like some of the enemies you've created. Especially those in Alphas first level. Some of those are pretty inventive. And strange lol.
The sound effects also fit in very well as does the music.

This is a solid start to what will hopefully be a great game. The engine is really smooth and I could run it with all the little enhancements on. So im going to give this an 8.5/10.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to future releases.

EDIT : Also do you plan on adding any Multiplayer modes into the later releases? Just wondering.

Edited by jackaroo, 27 July 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#3 sbeast64

sbeast64

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:56 PM

Overall its a pretty good demo you have got there. I especially Like the Turbo zone bit, the 2 layers of scrolling backgrounds and the boss fights. I get the impression "Sonic" was a bit of an influence on the game?
SBeast - Composer | www.sbeastmusic.com

#4 Silver_the_hedgehog

Silver_the_hedgehog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

The first techno game was a sonic fangame :)

Wow, wasnt expecting this... all I can say is great job

edit: I like Beta's gameplay but Alpha's is far more challenging and superior :mellow:

Edited by Silver_the_hedgehog, 27 July 2009 - 10:37 PM.

#5 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Thank you all for the kind comments! I appreciate it!

Jackaroo: Glad you enjoyed everything I've made so far. I actually have considered adding Multiplayer to a future demo, but I can't guarantee it will ever happen.

sbeast64: Haha, I suppose Sonic was somewhat of an influence. I've always like fast-paced games, which is why I gave Techno Beta and Techno Alpha the ability to run fast.

Silver: Wow, you actually prefer Alpha's gameplay? I figured people would like Beta the most. Either way, glad you enjoyed the game!

#6 Silver_the_hedgehog

Silver_the_hedgehog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Its just that Beta's gameplay is too easy, but i liked the first boss but the first boss for alpha is TOO hard (for me anyway)

#7 mygames19

mygames19

GMC Member

• 169 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

feels good to know there will be a "spiritual successor" to Techno The Hedgehog. :P

The level design is great, the graphics are well done, and the gameplay is fantastic. Can't wait to play the next demo. :P

To visit our new website, click on the image above.
Thanks for your visit!

#8 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

Silver: Good point, Beta's gameplay is a bit easier, since he can hover.

mygames19: Thank you very much! Glad you liked it.

#9 jackaroo

jackaroo

The Shadow Within

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

Thank you all for the kind comments! I appreciate it!

Jackaroo: Glad you enjoyed everything I've made so far. I actually have considered adding Multiplayer to a future demo, but I can't guarantee it will ever happen.

sbeast64: Haha, I suppose Sonic was somewhat of an influence. I've always like fast-paced games, which is why I gave Techno Beta and Techno Alpha the ability to run fast.

Silver: Wow, you actually prefer Alpha's gameplay? I figured people would like Beta the most. Either way, glad you enjoyed the game!

I also preferred Alphas gameplay aswell. As silver said its more challenging and also his boss is much better. Not that Blunder is a bad boss but I prefer Rinos more. Its a bit more fast paced since you have to keep moving. Do you have any plans for how many levels will be in the final game? Also are the characters going to have there own routes for some levels? For example you had both Alpha & Beta playthrough the same level. In another level where this happens will they have there own paths to go through or just have the same path?

#10 Marchal_Mig12

Marchal_Mig12

The Rhouan

• GMC Member
  • 1182 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

100% original? Looks alot like Sonic to me.

#11 PwnageMage

PwnageMage

Nobody Pwns This Mage

• 1864 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

As one of the biggest fans of the first game, I was higly impressed with the demo. Smooth engine, nice cutscenes, cool humor, and more. Can't wait to see the full game.

Edited by PwnageMage, 01 August 2009 - 04:12 AM.

Prepare yourself for the Phlud

#12 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Jackaroo: I've planned out a total of 12 levels, not counting the Final Boss stage. However, only a certain 9 of those levels will be playable in each storyline. Beta and Alpha share most of the levels, but there are a few stages that are unique to each storyline. For instance, Beta cannot go to the FATBUTTS level, but Alpha can. As for different routes for each character, I do plan on giving each "shared" stage some unique paths that can only be taken depending on the character you've chosen. Actually, I even tried to do that somewhat in Nesteke Forest, but it was hardly noticeable, so I'll try to make the alternate paths a bit more character-specific in future levels. :lol:

PwnageMage: Thank you very much! Glad you're looking forward to the completed version!

#13 gamewizkid

gamewizkid

GMC Member

• 436 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Techno: The Gamma Project is a great game that should not be missed by any fans of Sonic. It's great! So that is why I am giving a review.

Graphics:10/10 I love the way the graphics are very cartoonish, but very stylish/actiony at the same time. The foregrounds have a different style than the backgrounds, and they mesh together well. I even laughed at those big elephant headed robots! ^_^ But those tables, I didn't know they'd pop up and try to kill me! I was startled.

Music/SFX:7.5/10 I think that the main problem in this game is that the music does not fit the game very well. It also is too short, so it loops a lot and can get a bit anoying. The Sound effects, however, are very good, and fit very well with the game. I love the little grunts the enemies make.

Gameplay:10/10 I was very entertained by the overall quality of the game, and the designs of the levels. I really felt like I was a misunterstood clone in an underground Antarctic facility! The bosses were really awesome as well. One thing you might want to add that I liked in the first game is little cameos of characters. Maybe you could put Shift and Sherman in it somewhere. :(

Overall:9/10 I think it needs a little work on the music, but other than that, this game, when complete, will be a shining GM gem. I really loved playing this game. TechnoSuperGuy, I salute you!

Oh. Any chance of me getting a free Techno Alpha Mousepad?
Just kidding. :P

Edited by gamewizkid, 12 August 2009 - 05:25 PM.

Imagine a large mansion. And imagine that it has light, reflected off of the very large moon at night. Now imagine rain. Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. Now imagine a light flickering in one or two of the windows of the mansion. And finally, imagine a cinder block and some sort of burnt trophy, laid on the side of the house; pieces of broken metal and wiring is twisted over and under them. Then imagine that the flickering lights turn off. Now the moon turns off. Did you like that? go here to read the full story...and PM me about it if you liked or didn't like it...

#14 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:33 PM

Whoa, thanks for the awesome review, Gamewizkid! Glad you like the graphics, sound effects, and gameplay! Sorry the music is a bit repetitive, but I might look into lengthening each song somewhat for future demos. Haha, you guessed my plan: I'm actually already planning on hiding several characters in the game, one of them being Sherman the Shnow Monster. Glad you like the game (and mousepads :) ), and thanks again for the great review!

#15 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

Most of the sounds had a slight 'mouth made' appeal to it but they work and get the job done although I suppose some of them like all the 'ouch' sounds that sound pretty similar could use some work.

The music was pretty short and repetetive and it was midi music.
I'd suggest grabbing a composer to make some mods or mp3s for your game cause imo you can only get so much out of midis due to the format itself.

The graphics, especially the larger pics of the chars just screamed 'HAY I'M A SONIC FAN CHARACTER' to me.
I dunno, I just find nothing quite esthetical about the usual triangular eyes, spiky hair/bakck and yer olde extremely misplaced mouth along with the general stiffness of the poses (always gotta show the full body) which made some of the pics look pretty boring.

However the in-game graphics and animations looked pretty good, more than what you usually see around these waters in terms of especially animation so congrats to that.
The tiles could use some work though, especially how they get pixel perfectly cut off on edges doesn't look very appealing.
Especially the woods looked quite 'dodge-burn-photoshopped' and blurry to me which clashes with the crisp pixel-art look of the characters.
But they get the job done.

Storywise... I dunno I cringed on the inside upon sentences like 'he was found to be evil' and 'he was found guilty of the crime of trying to rule the world' and there's one good green guy and one evil green guy and I wonder if they'll overcome their rivalry that is sure to ensue to combine their powers to defeat the mad professor that tries to take over the world with his robots and stuff.
So far nothing really surprised/interested me but this is just a 2 level demo, maybe you'll come up with something.

The way the story is presented... well the game just slaps textblock after textblock after textblock in your face.
When I started the game for the first time, I wanted to PLAY the game, not read some long text and I was surprised how much text I had to button-mash away until the game finaly deciced to let me play it.
I'd suggest cutting the ammount of text down a bit and maybe presenting it in a more interesting way than *BAM, textblock appears*.
Maybe use yer olde zelda typewriter trick instead of instantly shoving the whole block of text down the throat of the gamer.
Things that move are generally more interesting than static things.

Okay enough cosmetics, on to the game.

Level design wise, I'd have to say I don't quite like the massive presence of bottomless pits.
I mean holy crap like 40% of the level consists of bottomless pits. (Even the inside of the fatbutts HQ had bottomless pits in it. Who the hell builds his hq with that many holes in the floor?)
I believe you've been told before to look at actual sonic the hedgehog level design to see barely any bottomless pits at all.
You can replace many pits with spikes that don't INSTANTLY KILL YOU or just pits with enemies in them/the player needing to backtrack to try again if they fall down instead of always being punished with instant death when you miss those tiny little platfroms with your character that moves at high speed.

Speaking of playing the game, I found the gameplay to be nothing more than holding the firebutton down and spamming my attack to the front while zipping through the enemies, trying not to fall into a pit.
That on the other hand made the special attack pretty useless because you kill everything off by spamming your standard attack everywhere anyway and its animation keeps you in place.
The only time it'd prove to be useful would be during boss battles but you're not even able to use it because there are no orbs lying around in boss battles apparently so I don't really see the point of it.

Furthermore, the gameplay of techno beta was far easier than beta because you just could glide over the pits, especially during the speedy passage which made it feel almost like cheating to me.
Speaking of the speed passage, you can skip that by jumping over the speedup-springs that initiate it which makes the whole thing considrably easier, especially with alpha because, of course, there are bottomless pits left and right in it along with small platforms you mustn't miss or else you die. During a sequence in which you automatically run forward at high speed.
I don't think that's a good idea, at least during those sequences, make the threats non-lethal.

All in all not a bad WIP though, keep up the good work.

#16 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Wow, I realize I'm rather late in saying so, but I appreciate your very thorough review, 9_6! I'm definitely going to keep a lot of your suggestions in mind while working on the next demo.

I'd suggest grabbing a composer to make some mods or mp3s for your game cause imo you can only get so much out of midis due to the format itself.

I've been considering doing just that. I've never claimed to be much of a musician, but I liked the idea of making a game completely by myself, just like the guy who made Cave Story. At this point, though, I may have to give in and let someone else lend a hand with the music.

The graphics, especially the larger pics of the chars just screamed 'HAY I'M A SONIC FAN CHARACTER' to me.
I dunno, I just find nothing quite esthetical about the usual triangular eyes, spiky hair/bakck and yer olde extremely misplaced mouth along with the general stiffness of the poses (always gotta show the full body) which made some of the pics look pretty boring.

You raise a good point. In all honesty, I wanted to Techno to resemble Sonic vaguely, since this is a "spiritual sequel" to my old Sonic fangame. However, I still hoped his appearance would be distinct enough for him to be established as a non-Sonic-fan character. But, what's done is done, and I'm too lazy to redo all the sprites to make Techno look more unique.

However the in-game graphics and animations looked pretty good, more than what you usually see around these waters in terms of especially animation so congrats to that.
The tiles could use some work though, especially how they get pixel perfectly cut off on edges doesn't look very appealing.
Especially the woods looked quite 'dodge-burn-photoshopped' and blurry to me which clashes with the crisp pixel-art look of the characters.
But they get the job done.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the animations. I agree with you on the matter of the mismatched tiles and backgrounds, but by the time I finished making all the character sprites, I felt that making a bunch of tiles in the same style would be too overwhelming... so, I had to fall back on the good ol' easy-to-use Gimp. Maybe I'll upgrade the tiles to match the other graphics in a future demo, though.

Storywise... I dunno I cringed on the inside upon sentences like 'he was found to be evil' and 'he was found guilty of the crime of trying to rule the world'

The way the story is presented... well the game just slaps textblock after textblock after textblock in your face.
When I started the game for the first time, I wanted to PLAY the game, not read some long text and I was surprised how much text I had to button-mash away until the game finaly deciced to let me play it.
I'd suggest cutting the ammount of text down a bit and maybe presenting it in a more interesting way than *BAM, textblock appears*.

Very true. I wanted the intro cutscene to be informative so newcomers could become aquainted with the story more easily, but I definitely went overboard. I'll try to cut down on the dialogue for the next demo, but also give a bit more depth to the otherwise cheesy backstory.

Level design wise, I'd have to say I don't quite like the massive presence of bottomless pits.
I mean holy crap like 40% of the level consists of bottomless pits. (Even the inside of the fatbutts HQ had bottomless pits in it. Who the hell builds his hq with that many holes in the floor?)
I believe you've been told before to look at actual sonic the hedgehog level design to see barely any bottomless pits at all.

Well, I wasn't really going for Sonic-style gameplay this time around. Instead, I was trying for something vaguely along the lines of Mega Man, which is why bottomless pits abound. However, I will take your advice on replacing some of the instant-death areas with simple spikes (or the equivalent of such). Oh, but on a side note, FATBUTTS HQ has a lot of holes in the floor because they're under renovation, as indicated by some signs in the background (yes, they have crappy architects).

Speaking of playing the game, I found the gameplay to be nothing more than holding the firebutton down and spamming my attack to the front while zipping through the enemies, trying not to fall into a pit.
That on the other hand made the special attack pretty useless because you kill everything off by spamming your standard attack everywhere anyway and its animation keeps you in place.
The only time it'd prove to be useful would be during boss battles but you're not even able to use it because there are no orbs lying around in boss battles apparently so I don't really see the point of it.

Hmm... I wonder why I never put any orbs in the boss stages. I'll probably do that in the next demo. As for the rest of the gameplay, I'll try giving it a bit more order.

Speaking of the speed passage, you can skip that by jumping over the speedup-springs that initiate it which makes the whole thing considrably easier, especially with alpha because, of course, there are bottomless pits left and right in it along with small platforms you mustn't miss or else you die.

The Turbo Zone is supposed to be rather difficult, because it helps players beat the level a lot faster than they normally could. I had planned that special rewards would be given for completing levels as fast as possible, but I never managed to squeeze such a concept into the demo, which results in the Turbo Zone feeling like an unnecessary challenge. That's why I made it skippable. I'll try to make the Turbo Zone more useful in the next demo.

Thank you again for your very in-depth review. With the help of your suggestions, I should be able to make this game a whole lot better!

Edited by TechnoSuperguy, 04 January 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#17 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

Demo 2 has finally been released (download in first post)! Here's a full list of stuff that's changed since Demo 1:

New Stuff:
--Two new levels.
--Two new bosses.
--Six new story cutscenes.
--The Save/Load system has been made backwards-compatible with savefiles from Demo 1, so you can pick up playing where you left off.

Minor Updates:
--The Shock Blast, Green Shockwave, and W-Orb sprites have been enhanced.
--The Life Counter has been moved to the upper left of the screen, directly under the Health and Ultra Energy bars.
--The sprites for the trees in Nesteke Forest have been improved.
--Choosing a level from the Level Select menu will take you to the cutscene that precedes the chosen level.

Removals:
--The Effects Options have been removed, since nobody used them.

I hope you like it!

Edited by TechnoSuperguy, 19 April 2010 - 12:30 AM.

#18 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

Host-a-net zip file is corrupt and the yyg one isn't ready yet.

#19 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

You sure love Sonic ^_^

My name is Kyon Edelenbosch, I Design, Program and Animate.

Learn more about Dirkels at http://kecreations.forumotion.com/

#20 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

Host-a-net zip file is corrupt and the yyg one isn't ready yet.

That's strange, the Host-a file works for me. Did you unzip the game before playing? Whatever the case, I just uploaded a mirror to Box.net. Hopefully it'll work for you.

You sure love Sonic

Haha, I do like Sonic games, but TGP is actually more like Mega Man, with Sonic's speed.

#21 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:35 PM

You sure love Sonic

Haha, I do like Sonic games, but TGP is actually more like Mega Man, with Sonic's speed.

- How he looks like
- How he animates (especially the jump)

I say, inspired by Sonic ^_^
But very nice game!

My name is Kyon Edelenbosch, I Design, Program and Animate.

Learn more about Dirkels at http://kecreations.forumotion.com/

#22 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

THE ULTIMATE BUMP
A whopping 2 years since I released the last update, Demo 3 has finally been released (download in first post)!

New stuff:
--Reduced Turbo Zone speed
--Turbo Zones now have hazard warning signs
--Turbo Zones have fewer pits
--Pause System has been upgraded to work with Keyboard controls (instead of Mouse)
--Entire game is now compatible with Xbox 360 USB controllers (can be disabled through Options if necessary)
--2 new levels, 3 new bosses
--Blunder/Mia will follow Beta/Alpha through the newest levels
--Life 1-ups are now hidden throughout the levels
--"W-Orbs" changed to 'Ultra Orbs" (makes more sense that way)
--Save/Load system is backwards-compatible with save files from older demos (just in case those of you who played past demos happen to still have the 2-year-old save file(s) in your computer)

I hope you enjoy it!

#23 jackaroo

jackaroo

The Shadow Within

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Its nice to see an update after 2 years. What took ya? :P lol oj.

Anyway this certainly is a very nice demo. The new levels and bosses are the best yet. The engine is very smooth and it does take a while to get used to after a 2 year break but once you do it's alot of fun :D . The graphics are superb and the story and music are pretty good too. To know that you made all of this yourself is pretty impressive and it's definitly something you should be very proud of.

The Life icons are cool aswell and I like the sound that plays when you collect them. Seems so over the top but just makes even more satisfying to collect one lol.

One little issue did crop up though but it wasn't a problematic one. On sphin mountain I finished the level just as that purple laser fired. The laser sound effect then dragged out much longer than normal. But that's the only thing I came across. Everything else was perfect.

I'm really looking forward to the completed game. Can't wait to see what else you have in store :D

Keep up the good work!

#24 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you enjoyed it. lol, I had a tough time coming up with a sound for the life pickups. First I thought about using the checkpoint sound, but that would have just made things confusing. So instead I basically just remade the very last bit of the "Finish Level" music using the same instrument that I used for the checkpoints, and voila!

Anyway, hanks for your comments and suggestions! I'll see what I can do to fix that about the lasers. :biggrin:

#25 AndrewBGM

AndrewBGM

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

An update after 2 years?! And here we thought you had given up.

The demo is great! I've only played a little of it but from what I've played I love it. I especially love the art you use for the cutscenes at the start, they look great. I hope there's more of that fantastic art!

Gotta admit, I'm not very good at the game, but I shall be playing it more. Keep it up! :D

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

#26 TechnoSuperguy

TechnoSuperguy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks a lot Andrew, I appreciate the feedback!

#27 gmx0

gmx0

The Messenger

• GMC Member
  • 1220 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

I kinda miss when you actually used recolored Sonic sprites. :P

Anyways, looks good.