• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

This was mostly a learning excercise for me to learn some code but I decided to make it in to a game rather than random code and release it as a work in progress. All current graphics are only place holders. Any feedback is welcome.

As of version 0.04 the second generation graphics have been added.

Screenshot:

First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth

Controls:
movement: W,A,S,D
run: Shift
shoot: space/Left mouse button
kick: Right mouse button
interact: F (repair barriers, open doors, use ammo chest,use perk machine,buy gun)
Change weapons
Weapon slot 1: 1
Weapon slot 2: 2

Changes
v0.05
-New perk (yellow machine) Double movement speed.
-Menu now navigable by mouse as well as keyboard.
-Weak melee attack(right mouse button) added.
-Zombie movement refined to hopefully prevent getting stuck.
v0.04
- First level renamed (House) and second level added (Mansion).
- Flash light is currently removed and replaced by a shroud over locked rooms.
- New gun Rifle added.
- New aiming mode, if aim is taken double damage is caused.
- Arrows added to point towards damaged barriers.
- Holding down shift will now permit moving at double speed.
- Bullet speed has been increased again as sugested by FurinKazanNZ.
- All graphics have been changed.
- Menu has been redone to permit level selection.
- Ammo box will now refill both weapons carrier instead of just current one.
- If weapon that is already purchased is bought again then the ammo is refilled.
v0.03
- only able to carry two weapons and can buy new ones from around the level.
- perks have been added (More health, Faster rate of fire, Faster reload)
- longer view distance
- flamethrower added
v0.02
- Movement changed to up/down/left/right
- Mouse aim
- Moving near to a interactive object with a cost will display cost in bottom right of screen
- Bullet speeds doubled
v0.01
-First Incarnation

Next Version
- Further Graphical improvements (hopefully)
- New level

Download:
filesizes are listed as what the file host reports them as
box.net v0.05 2.5mb
media fire v0.05 2.51mb
box.net v0.04 2.5mb
media fire v0.04 2.5mb
media fire v0.03 2.34mb
media fire v0.02 2.32mb
media fire v0.01 2.31mb

yoyogames
They Are Coming v0.05

Edited by serenity4ever, 16 December 2009 - 07:35 PM.

They are coming - A 2d top down Call of duty WAW zombie mode game - WIP
----------------------------------------
Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Wash : Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

#2 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

mouse aiming...please

make the bullets a bit more faster

and other from that youre just missing a few tweaks and graphics

#3 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for your feedback.

I have added mouse aim and made the bullets faster.

I will be working on the graphics soon but I don't want to add them until I have worked as many of the kinks out of the engine as possible so any more feedback is welcome.

#4 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

This is to inform that a new version has come along. I still welcome any feedback as to what should be added or changed. See original post for update.

Edited by serenity4ever, 03 August 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#5 walkingbush

walkingbush

GMC Member

• 447 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:28 AM

Well, one thing that struck me as bad is that you can only see whats in your flashlight. You should be able to see more than that teensy weensy light AT LEAST. At most, the whole view. Also, the barriers break too fast and when I got the uzi and used one clip, i couldnt shoot! But other than that, good job!!!!!

Edited by walkingbush, 04 August 2009 - 02:39 AM.

I don't always use signatures, but when I do, they are useful.

#6 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Well, one thing that struck me as bad is that you can only see whats in your flashlight. You should be able to see more than that teensy weensy light AT LEAST. At most, the whole view. Also, the barriers break too fast and when I got the uzi and used one clip, i couldnt shoot! But other than that, good job!!!!!

1- The flashlight, I have been considering what I can do about it been so limited but I have also been after keeping it limited I don't want the player to be able to see everything that is going on. On that I have been considering switching to just making walls cast shodows so that you can see what is in plain view but will not know what is going on around the corner, the other thing I have considered is increasing the flashlight size and the ring around the player to permit better vision.

2- The barriers breaking too fast, this is something that I am looking to deal with as just turning up the damage the barrier can take changes the feel of them so I will be looking in to a different way.

3- Using one uzi clip then not firing, there is no uzi so assume you mean the flamethrower it does shoot again it just has a long reload(of 4 seconds where as the other guns are more around a second) however in testing this I have discovered it transfers its long reload to other weapons which I will be looking at the cause.

#7 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

Since it has been a while since I last gave any update I thought I would just inform anyone who is interested I am still working on this.

I have almost got the first set of graphics done (I will be improving on them again but these give a very strong idea of what I am aiming for.

In relation to my last post I have now removed the flash light and chosen to shroud locked rooms instead the barriers now take a good amount longer to become broken and the flame thrower did have the said problem it occurred once the delay between shots was decreased by the perk making it never fire so I do stand corrected there.

I have added a new menu, a second map, a new weapon, and a aiming system somewhat similar to Explicit's Outbreak (which is a fantastic game) in which if the weapon if held still and aim is taken then the shot causes double damage.

Before I release the next version if anybody else has any suggestions they are more than welcome.

#8 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:41 PM

I looked at this and thought "ooh, a zombie TDS, how original", but I just played it and it's really nice! Here's my suggestions:

The flashlight:

I have been considering what I can do about it been so limited but I have also been after keeping it limited I don't want the player to be able to see everything that is going on. On that I have been considering switching to just making walls cast shodows so that you can see what is in plain view but will not know what is going on around the corner, the other thing I have considered is increasing the flashlight size and the ring around the player to permit better vision.

I'd suggest allowing the flashlight to not stop short provided that there is nothing in the way i.e so it can cross the map as long as nothing is blocking it. I see what you mean about not wanting the player to know what is going on all over the map, so I suggest you put other light sources (I.e a white sprite on top of everything else with an alpha value) at the barricades so you know where the zombies are coming from, but don't always know how many there are or how close they are (So they're only in your view for a short period of time). And if you want to do the walls-cast-shadows idea, have a look at the shadow example in my signature.

Oh and when bush said he had a problem with the Uzi, I think he meant the P90 (your second weapon, I think it's supposed to be a P90)

Sprites: Allright, a bit of colour would be nice, because black and white is quite bland. The zombies should have arms sticking out or something, and you should be able to see a gun on the character.

Bullets: They're far far too slow, I don't mean firing, I mean moving, zombies could potentially dodge those bullets, they're so slow. I'd reccomend a speed of about 15.

Sounds: Sounds! Get some spooky ambience, gunshot noises zombie groans etc. and that'll really make the game! I liked your HP, and when you get hit I think you should have a heartbeat sound effect start until your health has come back again.

Keep up the good work mate!

Edited by FurinKazanNZ, 15 October 2009 - 11:46 PM.

#9 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

@ FurinKazanNZ

The flashlight:

Thank you I will look at the example and if it can be implemented because it looks like what I was considering

Weapon:

I have not found any problem on the P90 (of which yes its supposed to be a P90) however the Flame-thrower did have a problem as well as a long reload.

Sprites: That was planned any way they were just place holders my first attempt at some more representative graphics have been added in the current version, even though I still want to improve them.

Bullets: I have tried increasing the speed again (as it has been done before) and do like the speed but I am wondering if to just make them instant.

Sounds: I do intend to add sound later on down the line however I don't want to add it too soon as it might increase the file size too much for just testing

Thank you for your suggestions and I hope you try the new version.

@ Everyone

A new version has been uploaded now at V 0.04

#10 FurinKazanNZ

FurinKazanNZ

GMC Member

• 489 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:38 AM

Better. I still think my suggestion (of light source at doors) should add in, with total darkness everywhere else outside your flashlight...

#11 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:50 PM

Kinda like this - http://www.box.net/shared/zvrqxihez1

It is just a quick set up of what I interpret your statement as. I am aware the lights at the doors and not very good but I wanted to know if I was understanding you correctly

#12 Dylijn

Dylijn

GMC Member

• 553 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hehe good game man, like it.

Now you need better graphics, I can make some if you like ;)

#13 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

You are more than welcome to if you don't mind because graphics are not my strongest point (if that is not obvious)

#14 Dylijn

Dylijn

GMC Member

• 553 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

You are more than welcome to if you don't mind because graphics are not my strongest point (if that is not obvious)

Thank you, with what can I help and please say the style.

#15 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:07 PM

You replied to my topic so I thought I would reply to yours.
Nice game.It will look a lot better when you get some better sprites to replace the placeholders.
I didn't find any bugs and the gameplay was smooth for as much as I played.
I would put some kind of animation or effect for when the enemies die though,or does
that go into the same catagory as replacing the place holder sprites?
anyways nice job it was fun to play.

#16 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

Yeah the enemy just disappearing is not planned as a staying thing they will have some form of death animation or they might explode in blood and guts one of those two.

Thank you for the feedback and if you have any suggestions on what to add such as features, new map design, or even weapons they are welcome.

#17 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Yeah the enemy just disappearing is not planned as a staying thing they will have some form of death animation or they might explode in blood and guts one of those two.

Thank you for the feedback and if you have any suggestions on what to add such as features, new map design, or even weapons they are welcome.

Maybe you should put in sme maps to unlock.Like a map that you can't play on unless you played the previos one through.
just an idea. Also,the when the enemies die you could make a death animation along with some gore and blood.That would look cool. Just exploding blood and gore would be easier thogh probably,since you wouldn't have to make a whole new
death animation.(Unless you have one)

#18 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

This is an alright game, but I have a few suggestions:

1. Put a mask on the bullets, make it the same length as the speed of the bullets. They seem to go right through the zombies arms.

2. When a gun is out of ammo, make it say so somewhere instead of it constantly saying "RELOADING"

3. make it a bit more worth it when unlocking new areas. I know you can get new weapons and reload points, but is it really worth spending the money if you can just stay in the same spot with no problems at all?

4. If the player uses the mouse to shoot, why not make the menu clickable?

5. Sometimes zombies get stuck in walls and they are 1 or 2 pixels on a barrier.

6. I had about $3,000(credits) then opened a new area for 1000 credits. I looked back at my credits and I had about 500.

Maybe when a new area is unlocked you could have the option to buy faster movement of the player or something because if you were being attacked by zombies, I don't think you would casually walk around.

Possibly think about making the pistol have unlimited ammo, but slower fire rate. The unlimited ammo would take away a bit of the challenge, but the slower fire rate would put in some challenge.

#19 Dylijn

Dylijn

GMC Member

• 553 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

How is it coming along ? ::lmao::

Edited by Dylijn, 25 November 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#20 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:51 PM

@ XtraButter

I'm not going to do the restricting the player to maps because I don't think it would suit it where as it does suit your game. As for doing both I may well do both at the same time or make different weapons kill differently (Also gives me the option to add explosive weapons and tell that they are rather than them just doing a lot of damage and going bang).

@ }{dark}{

1. That would not work for a few reasons the first been that the bullets all use different speeds a single mask would not work however I have added a collision_lie check to see if any were passed. The other reason is the zombies use a circular mask to make path finding easier and to add to the fact shooting a zombie in the arm probably would not bother them that much, I may add shootable arms though which would them add a aesthetic aspect that you did shoot the zombie but just didn't bother it.

2. A I was not aware of that I have fixed it, it will now just say '0 / 0' may be changed to 'Out of ammo'.

3. There are perk machines (they look like drinks machines) they have a coloured light in front of them which defines what they give you Red - half reload time, Blue - double health, and Green - double rate of fire.

4. That is a very good point that I had just never thought of I just need to come up with a way to make both methods work.

5. I have never noticed that and can't reproduce that problem however I can think what might have caused it, was there more than one zombie at the barrier?

6. I animated the door which meant it stayed so holding the f key drained money I have fixed that problem now.

7. Hold shift will allow you to run (move faster than walking walk is a speed of 2 run is speed of 4) however I will add a new perk (as they were mentioned before) that will increase moving speed.

8. I don't like the idea of of giving the player infinite ammo in a gun (they can reload at the place to buy the gun or from a ammo box) however I have slowed the rate of fire and damage of the pistol to make it feel different to the P90(smg) however I will be looking into adding melee attacks to give the player a chance when they run out of ammo.

Thank you both for the ideas and any others are welcome.

All mentioned changes will be implemented in the next version hopefully with some more as well.

Edited by serenity4ever, 25 November 2009 - 01:07 PM.

#21 }{dark}{

}{dark}{

if internet==0

• GMC Member
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

5. No, there was always 1 zombie at the barrier.

#22 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

I will be taking another look at the zombie getting stuck because it shouldn't.

The menu will work with the current keyboard method or using the mouse.

A new perk machine will be added that will increase the speed of the player.

A basic melee attack will be added to cover when the player runs out of ammo.

FYI the version that will advance up to no is the shroud version (ie not the one with the torch in.)

#23 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:34 PM

It looks like the zombies getting stuck problem was due to the grid being a little restrictive and some cells in the grid not letting the zombies in when they should, also doors should have had a similar problem.

A new update has being released now fixing the problems and making the improvements that have been suggested.

Any more suggestions on any aspect are welcomed.

#24 ardveson

ardveson

GMC Member

• 322 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:44 PM

ERROR in
action number 1
of Draw Event
for object obj_tiler:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

every time i try to play thats what i get and if i click ignore it just pops up again

Edited by ardveson, 16 December 2009 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

#25 serenity4ever

serenity4ever

GMC Member

• 513 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

@ ardveson

I don't have that problem could it be that you have a low vram graphics card because that is a pretty sizeable surface, assuming that that error was on the new version did you have that problem on the last version?

edit

Could I ask you to try this version (They are coming v0.05b 3.5mb box.net) it has the tiler object disabled and uses a background instead (it is a slow method of doing it but if it is more useful it may be needed)