#1 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image

Summary
You are a lighthouse, and your goal is to shine light on good ships so that they can see you and move away from the land. If the yellow bar above a ship is filled up, the ship has been saved. The more ships you save quickly, the more points you gain.

Be careful! If the ships hit land, they will sink. Also, there are pirates and water mines out at sea that will try to blow up your ships. You must get rid of these menaces by focusing your light on them and burning them. To focus light, press the 'E' key. Note: make sure to unfocus the light by pressing 'W' before you shine it on good ships again.

To help you out, your lighthouse has been enabled with advanced technology that allows you to create a mine wherever you right click. If you have enough time to pile up mines and blow the bottom one up, you can use this to get huge combos. Use wisely - if you focus too much on playing around with mines, you will lose all your ships.

There is one more type of ship, one that is very rare - steamers. Once you get a score above 1000, there is a chance that a steamer will come onscreen. Steamers give you a large amount of points if you fill them up with light. They are practically immune to everything in their path, which they blow up (so you can get large combos if you stick mines in front of them). Also, if you light them up, they will light up every ship that is near to them, so they are definitely worth filling up with light.

If you don't save enough ships or destroy enough obstacles witihin the time limit, you will lose the game. You can see how much time you have left by the number of green ships shown in the top left corner of the screen. A more specific time bar is shown at the top right (it counts down time for each green ship shown).

The wind is also shown in the top right corner (white arrow). It determines which direction the ships will go - wherever the wind is pointing, the ships will come from the opposite side of the screen.

Controls
Mouse - Change the position of the light

W - Focus the light
E - Unfocus the light
OR
Left mouse press - Focus the light
Left mouse release - Unfocus the light
Shift or Ctrl - Keep the light at the same size (you need to use this if you are using the left mouse button)

Right Click - Create a mine wherever the mouse is - very good for setting yourself up for combos

Note: As soon as you use the left mouse button, the game automatically assumes that you are going to be using the mouse for the entire game, and the light automatically expands when you are not holding down the mouse button. To stop this from happening, use the W and E keys and do not push the mouse button.

F1 - This information screen
F4 - Toggle fullscreen
F8 - Toggle graphics quality
F9 - Take screenshot (exports to the game folder)

Full-screen? No
Changes Resolution? No
Room Size: 800x600 (approx)

Created Using: GM7 Pro
Current Version: 1.50
Yoyogames link (use the download link here if you want to download it): http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/88791
Size: 5.3 MB

Some comments on speed: I have now set the room speed to 55. The game uses multiple full-screen surfaces that are redrawn every step, so it may go a little slow. However, we have attempted to make it run reasonably fast on a reasonably good computer. It should be able to run at 45 FPS on most computers, and if you have trouble, make sure that it is running on low graphics mode (F8).

Screenshots:
http://img339.images...screenshotv.png
http://img149.images...creenshot1h.png

Credits:
Lighthouse is a creation of Orbic Entertainment (www.orbic.co.nr).

Misc. Design & Programming - monocledsardine
Programming - P-entertainment
Spriting - wiseman15

Thanks to Avenhym, ganondorf, VigilantGuardian, tehraptor, Matthijs, and anyone else who has collaborated with Orbic at any point in time. Also, a big thanks to everyone who has played this game and/or commented on it.

Thanks to GM FMOD for a working sound system. Thanks as well to wiseman for making some ambience on very short notice.

Thanks finally to DPoole for being the first to review this game. It really helped the development!

-monocledsardine

Edited by monocledsardine, 02 January 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#2 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5900 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

Oh wow this looks pretty epic, will definitely try it out!
One thing I couldn't figure out exactly was how to steer the red-sail ships away, but still this was fun to play.
9.6/10

PS I loved the little sun-glare effect if you shine the light at you. xD

Edited by Mailas, 13 July 2009 - 08:40 PM.

omQasih.jpg

#3 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

The ships with the red sails are pirates - you have to burn them. Push 'E' to focus the light, then shine it on them to make them explode.

#4 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Original gameplay and good interactive graphics!! Awesome work!

Edited by Zccc, 13 July 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#5 Tumetsu

Tumetsu

GMC Member

• 433 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:15 PM

I think this was pretty nice idea but I would like to present one suggestion about controls which really struck my "designer's eye". As directing light happens with mouse I would suggest following control scheme over current one:

Mouse left button pressed (hold down) : Focus light
Mouse left released (not holded down): Unfocus light automatically to certain level. Preferably gradually.
I'm not sure what use Shift really had but if you think it's necessary, it could be toggled with right mouse button.

With this control scheme everything is focused to mouse which should make controlling a bit easier. You can still keep keyboard controls. Online scores and different enemies would be good addition too.
Posted Image

#6 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

I'll be sure to add mouse controls, thanks for the idea.

Sound and music are also coming in the next update, so keep posted.

#7 DPoole

DPoole

KwikLook Editor

• 188 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

Just thought I'd mention that I reviewed this game on KwikLook Blog.

The game is pretty original and I liked the graphics quite a bit. Overall, it's nice. :GM071:

#8 Katuko

Katuko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5968 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

It's great to see an original game that actually has some effort put in. :lol: You had simple but fitting graphics, and the light transitioned smoothly from large to small. The menu looked pretty cool as well. I only have two small issues with this game, one of which only popped up at the end. One, there is no sound. A few simple sound effects like dampened explosions from the mines, bubbling from a sinking ship, sizzling from the focused light and some sort of "you rescued a ship" sound would really have improved the feel. Two, you used the standard look for the high score table and message box. Kind of hit me in the face at the last second. It is not enough to lower my opinion of this game though. Seriously good work!
My other profiles: WordPress | deviantART | Steam

#9 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the review and comments, sounds have been chosen, mouse control has been added, and I'm working on altering the menu and a few other things. Unfortunately, my laptop just went kaput, so I'm having to wait to get it fixed until I can use GM.

Edited by monocledsardine, 06 August 2009 - 08:13 PM.

#10 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Wow, finally the updates are done! This game is quite addicting now...

New updates: sound finally added! Much better controls, more appropriate menu, you can now create mines for better combos, a new type of ship added, and, best of all, a full length tutorial!

Tell me what you think! And tell me what high scores you get... I've gotten about 6900.

Edited by monocledsardine, 20 August 2009 - 05:09 AM.

#11 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:30 AM

Sorry for the double bump, but due to MAJOR uploading errors, I have made a new page on Yoyogames for Lighthouse (I changed the link in the first post). The new link is http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/93875. Please rate again if you can find it in your kind heart to do so :P.

#12 DPoole

DPoole

KwikLook Editor

• 188 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

Brilliant. You focused on the parts which needed the most improvement and now, overall, it's a much better game. I really like the new menu, and with the new tutorial, I was able to understand how to play the game more.

I wish this game would get more exposure; it really deserves it...

#13 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

Well, I might add a few small powerups and online highscores soon, if that makes things any better.

#14 ecrgclimb95

ecrgclimb95

GMC Member

• 129 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Powerups sounds like a very good idea.
Perhaps one that destroys all the mines on screen.
Or freezes all the ships.
Also, I think the cruise ships or whatever they are should come into play earlier.
Just some suggestions.

#15 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

Alright, here are the powerups I'm thinking of right now - tell me what you think:

1. Freeze all ships
2. Destroy all mines (for points, of course)
3. Make it so you can stick a lamp in the middle of the sea to light up ships

I'm also thinking of occasionally making tons of ships appear at the same time (rarely). Good ideas, bad ideas?

Also, for the next version, wiseman and I can add one more enemy/ship. What type of thing would you guys like?

#16 angelofsilence

angelofsilence

Chicken Lord

• Banned Users
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Great game so far!Would love to see some powerups and more levels added in!

Heres an in-depth review i've written up for the game!
Lighthouse In-depth Review

#17 walkingbush

walkingbush

GMC Member

• 447 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

You have a really fun game here. Its real addicting and well crafted. The menu is cool, the game is fun, and the tutorial is humorous, but still shows you how to play. 9/10 ecause its not perfect. For another ship, do a ship thats faster than the normal ones, but worth more points. You can have a double points powerup. And, you can have whirlpools that come up, so that you have to wacth for ships and get them before they fall into the whirlpool.
I don't always use signatures, but when I do, they are useful.

#18 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:10 AM

Also coming in the next update: unlockable achievements.

For another ship, do a ship thats faster than the normal ones, but worth more points.

That sounds cool - it would also be nice if there could be something unique about those ships (eg. they give you a powerup or something like that). Any ideas?

#19 walkingbush

walkingbush

GMC Member

• 447 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

I once played a submarine game where you shoot PT boats and once a game a rainbow boat flys past the screen, and if you can hit it (the torpedoes were kind of slow) you get alot of points. Maybe have something like that, but with your own twist? Like a hoverboat (even though its not really present time, cause thats the point) or somethingt similar? Anyway, good luck with your ideas.
I don't always use signatures, but when I do, they are useful.

#20 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

Ooh, hoverboat, I like that :P.

#21 dhuyd

dhuyd

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:32 AM

very fun, very addictive. keep up the good work.
keyboard_czech(vk_republic);

#22 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Ok, i was playing the tutorial and pressed 'back' and...

for object obj_lighthouse:

Trying to use non-existing surface.

#23 AlexAR

AlexAR

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hey, this is indeed a pretty addicting game, it gets pretty hectic very fast, but hectic in a fun way. Who'da thought a Lighthouse could be so fun to play as and deadly. :) Great job.

#24 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Ramses, you seem to have the same glitch as cori555 - I can't seem to find the cause of it (because it never happens to me). I'll continue to work on it, but I doubt I'll be able to fix that one any time soon.

Be sure to vote for Lighthouse in this week's Cagematch!

Edited by monocledsardine, 17 October 2009 - 07:43 PM.

#25 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1096 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

Great game! Awesome graphics, awesome soundtrack, great and simple gameplay and lots of polish. My only real complaint is the controls and few spots you missed when polishing:

Controls:
- Make the Shift key toggleable so you can turn off the automatic focusing/unfocusing. I think this is pretty important.
- Maybe use Left and Right mouse instead of E and W? Not sure about this one.

Polish details:
- You could get a custom loading bar and icon.
- The cursor appears during the tutorial (bug)
- Using the F keys for options and Game Maker's information document isn't very professional. This may not be worth the trouble, but I think it would look nice.

Keep up the good work!
Posted Image I did not make this game.

Let me know if you're a fan of Makermod or Lugormod!

#26 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Why is using the F keys unprofessional? And if you don't want the light to focus and unfocus, just stop clicking with the mouse and use "E" and "W" to focus and unfocus instead.

As for all the other problems you gave, thanks for the info. I can fix those up, but I will probably not be updating the game for a while as Orbic is working on another game right now. Thanks again!

#27 Jono20201

Jono20201

GMVision Team

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:01 AM

I have put it forward for GMLive's game review short list.

Ontopic:
A very fun Mini-game. Not much story line, but a fun 5 minuite thing.

#28 PetzI

PetzI

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1096 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Why is using the F keys unprofessional? And if you don't want the light to focus and unfocus, just stop clicking with the mouse and use "E" and "W" to focus and unfocus instead.

As for all the other problems you gave, thanks for the info. I can fix those up, but I will probably not be updating the game for a while as Orbic is working on another game right now. Thanks again!

Option menus tend to feel a lot nicer than having a huge text file tell you you can use F4 to set the game to Fullscreen. Same reason why you should use a tutorial rather than a huge text file. Great work on the tutorial btw.

I do use E and W. I'm not refering to the mouse-click focus/unfocus, I'm refering to the the Shift/Control keys, which I want to always be on, and its a big big pain to ALWAYS be holding shift down, especially since my left hand is already busy with E and W. When I aim the mouse up, it automatically unfocuses my light, and vice-versa. I want to be able to turn that off without holding down a key constantly. Thanks for your efforts!
Posted Image I did not make this game.

Let me know if you're a fan of Makermod or Lugormod!

#29 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:53 AM

Ah, I see what you're saying. I should have thought of having that option earlier :|. Thanks for the tip.

#30 Spaceoff

Spaceoff

Orbital Debris

• GMC Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

This was a really fun minigame.
I'm not good at it, but that doesn't matter, its still great.
Well polished effects, addicting, controls are fair.

#31 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for your votes in the cagematch, Lighthouse is now in cagematch 221! Come and vote.

#32 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

fun game! right clicking makes the game a bit ridiculous, though, if you're playing for score. To get 50,000+ points I initially just kept building huge masses of mines near the lighthouse, never setting them off, and only stopping to stop the boats from running into it and setting it off early. Once I was about to die I set it off for 25k. Its actually funny in that I purposely kept pirate ships alive in the hopes that they would kill the boats before they'd run into the mines. Anyways, it's pretty fun if ypu play withuot right-clicking, though.
GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#33 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:52 AM

Dude, you must own at this game, because I never was able to get that ownsome with the right click. I would consider changing it, but seeing as Orbic is doing another project right now, it looks like were going to have to leave it as is.

Lighthouse is in its third cagematch! Vote for Lighthouse!

#34 ramses12

ramses12

• GMC Member
  • 5769 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

The last version is pretty cool! Is there any chance for an online highscore table?

#35 Keiferr

Keiferr

iProgram

• 378 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:08 AM

Very nice game, I found it to be really fun.

It may not have much depth, or so it seemed, but it sure makes up for it in gameplay terms.

I voted for it in the cagematch too. Goodluck with that.

Mind if I ask how you made that splash screen in the first post ?

#36 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:37 AM

Mind if I ask how you made that splash screen in the first post ?

You mean this?:
Posted Image

I made that with the good old-fashioned mouse and keyboard, plus Adobe Photoshop. (Most of it is done with the paintbrush tool)

The last version is pretty cool! Is there any chance for an online highscore table?

This game is really not in production anymore, but online highscores would be ridiculously easy to add, so you may see them around sometime in the future.

Edited by monocledsardine, 03 November 2009 - 12:37 AM.

#37 Ovindu

Ovindu

GMC Member

• 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:30 AM

Great game. I a very unique idea with very pleasing graphics. I have always been a fan of a level system rather than the open ended play you have now. Maybe create multiple versions, like a selector screen where you can go Campaign mode or Arcade mode. Just a thought, but really I have no gripes about this game, it was definitely entertaining. Have a good one!

-Taylor Marlow

#38 monocledsardine

monocledsardine

GMC Member

• 2345 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

Lighthouse is in its last cagematch! Vote for Lighthouse again!

#39 imam_mashur

imam_mashur

GMC Member

• 282 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 04:13 AM

The screenshot make me want to play that game , and when i playing that game , i can say it awesome game .
The light , sprite , and enemy is support with the game . its good for 2d game !
:)

Sorry if my english is BAD. I tried my best to study english.

Simple Menu Example---Draw your health bar

Spoiler