#1 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

JS Message Engine v2.2

Currently supported for version 8.1 and lower, Studio support will come with the new version.

Spoiler

I am honestly really astounded with the amount of times this has been viewed and downloaded (even to this day it is being downloaded) and I am very thankful to everyone who has tried this and provided feedback. I know I have been away for a while and there are still a few issues with this version that really should have been addressed a while ago, but I have been really unmotivated and busy to do it. However, I really do owe this to you guys and, as such, I would like to say that I shall be working on the new version of the engine during my spare time from this point on. It won't be one of my little projects that I put half-ass effort into, I will be aiming for a much better, smoother and user-based engine with functions you guys actually want. Because of that, I will be making three lists: wants, implementing and implemented on this post. Once the new version is ready I shall make a new topic and post on here for anyone following it. Thanks for using my engine and I hope this is worth the wait for you guys!  :thanks:

Wants:

• Event system (OnOpen, OnClose, OnComplete, etc.) for more control over precise timing
  • Sounds and voices (remember reading a request somewhere...)

Implementing:

• Individual message boxes each with their own customisations and message buffer (can still use a global style if preferred)
  • Greater control and number of built-in animations (open for suggestions)
  • Different animations for box in, transition and out
  • Text has its own animations for in and out (open for suggestions)
  • Textbox input box control (moving the cursor, inserting, highlighting, etc.)
  • Animated image compatibility (character icons such as that seen in RPGs)
  • More navigation options (keyboard, mouse and/or joystick in combination)
  • Progression functions to force a message box to display the next message without direct input (progress a 'chat' cut-scene, progress when a player does something specific, etc.)

Implemented:

• User-coded animations via 'js3_animation_*()' functions
  • Variable tween system with 14 different tweens, most with the option of easing in and/or out

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 26 May 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#2 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

*One Month Bump*

Please comment if you have downloaded. Don't know why I am so skittish but I am :medieval:

#3 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Sounds like this could be pretty handy. I downloaded it, and I'll give it a shot in a bit. :)

#4 Binsk

Binsk

-Insane Kid-

• GMC Member
  • 2915 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

This looks and works very smooth. It has a simple yet effective look to it also. I really like this and will most likely end up using it in some future games. :P I haven't actually tried it out yet, other than viewing the example, but if I have anything interesting to say after I do I will come back here. :GM7:

Edited by Scyler_27, 10 August 2009 - 03:58 AM.

#5 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

#6 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

UPDATED TO V1.1

Sprites no longer have to be... uh, tiny to be used! Now, they can be as BIG or LITTLE as you want (as long as it is square!)
Links have been updated also.

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 18 August 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#7 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

UPDATED TO V2

Textboxes have been added! Now you can get strings from the user. And, you can set rules to it like hide the string and display a password character in place or get numbers or text only!

#8 3dman101

3dman101

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 536 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:48 AM

a pic would be nice, and you don't have to make a new post for every update... just edit the first post for future reference :whistle:

#9 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

a pic would be nice

There are two listed under 'Screens' in the first post

#10 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:34 AM

UPDATED TO V2.1

I received a pm about a button highlight which has now been addressed,
The border sprite can now be animated,
IMPORTANT! - Changed the name of the function 'js_msg_padding()' to 'js_msg_room()' because I added 2 new arguments,
'js_msg_obj_sprite()' has an additional argument for the animation of sprites. This means if you have used this function, you must add the extra argument otherwise you will get an error.

#11 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:37 AM

UPDATED TO V2.1

I received a pm about a button highlight bug which has now been addressed,
The border sprite can now be animated,
IMPORTANT! - Changed the name of the function 'js_msg_padding()' to 'js_msg_room()' because I added 2 new arguments,
'js_msg_obj_sprite()' has an additional argument for the animation of sprites. This means if you have used this function, you must add the extra argument otherwise you will get an error.

Sorry, slow internet must have double posted!

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 03 September 2009 - 06:44 AM.

#12 Darklord071991

Darklord071991

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

This is a really nice message engine. But I have one little bug so far. When you are inputting text and press the arrow keys, it adds the last inputted character.

Edited by Darklord071991, 03 September 2009 - 07:54 PM.

#13 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

This is a really nice message engine. But I have one little bug so far. When you are inputting text and press the arrow keys, it adds the last inputted character.

Thanks, I'll fix that asap :whistle:
I just fixed it but can't compile it yet, I'm at school! :P

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 03 September 2009 - 11:39 PM.

#14 Darklord071991

Darklord071991

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanks, I'll fix that asap :whistle:
I just fixed it but can't compile it yet, I'm at school! :P

Cool!

#15 MrScience101

MrScience101

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

Absolutely amazing. I have not used it yet, just downloaded it, but after reading the entertaining pdf that is included I can't help but say thank you for saving me a ton of time. I was going to have to write my own messaging system for my freeware game "Of Shards and Barriers"

#16 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:17 AM

Absolutely amazing. I have not used it yet, just downloaded it, but after reading the entertaining pdf that is included I can't help but say thank you for saving me a ton of time.

No problem! I'm here to help :snitch:

Textbox fix uploaded!

Updated
Just added a new function 'js_qdefault()' which allows you to set a default piece of code to execute if the user presses escape in a question.
'js_tb_add()' has more arguments now to compensate for the new default function.

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 07 September 2009 - 04:02 PM.

#17 synkarius

synkarius

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Downloaded, can't wait to use it.

#18 MrBlack

MrBlack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

I got an error when loading the example;

"Cannot find extension package: JS Message Engine"

I have no prior experience with extension packages so I'm not sure what to do.

#19 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

"Cannot find extension package: JS Message Engine"

The only time I have gotten that error is when I move a .gmk file and began working with it in another computer without bringing the .gex, but it may happen if you move the .gex also, never tried it.

Edit: What do people think of the engine? It has been quiet around...

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 21 October 2009 - 10:27 AM.

#20 MrBlack

MrBlack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:34 AM

Where does the .gex file have to be to make it work, and what must its filename be?

Currently I have it in the same directory as the .gmk under the filename Message System 1.2, but that's a completely different location to Game Maker if that means anything.

I would love to test it and give you feedback; if it does everything it says it does then it's exactly what I want, so I'm looking forward to it ;)

Edited by MrBlack, 21 October 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#21 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

Where does the .gex file have to be to make it work, and what must its filename be?

Currently I have it in the same directory as the .gmk under the filename Message System 1.2, but that's a completely different location to Game Maker if that means anything.

I would love to test it and give you feedback; if it does everything it says it does then it's exactly what I want, so I'm looking forward to it :)

Having it in the same location as the GMK only works for DLL files.
To install an extension, open Game Maker and click on Resources -> Select Extension Packages. From the Extension Packages window, click the "Install" button, then "Install" again on the next window. Navigate to where you saved the GEX, double-click the file (or click it once and click on "Open"), and then it will be installed.
You'll be taken back to the Install Extension Packages window. Scroll through the list to make sure the GEX is in there, and if it is click "OK". Click "OK" again on the next window, too.
Than, when you want to use the extension in your game, open the Extension Packages window again (Resources -> Select Extension Packages), click on the extension you want listed under Available Packages, and than click the blue arrow that appears to add said extension into your game.

And that's how you install an extension.

As for LIBs, they simply go into the LIB folder of your Game Maker install location.

Edited by Blue Leader, 21 October 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#22 GMLismybeach

GMLismybeach

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Can anyone make this work with views? Cause i can't seem to!

#23 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:16 AM

Can anyone make this work with views? Cause i can't seem to!

Make sure you change the settings so they suit the size of the view because it has an invisible bounding box to keep it on the screen. If the margin settings aren't set properly, it will look very VERY weird... ^_^

EDIT: Minor Bug Fix
The function 'js_msg_room()' displayed in the GM window 'js_msg_room(marg,pad...)' was executed as 'js_msg_room(pad,marg...)' and has now been fixed. Instead of changing the 'marg' with 'pad', I changed the code because I think it makes more sense with the margin first as opposed to the padding, so if you rely on padding and margin settings, download the fix or change the arguments in your code.
Thanks for pointing that out GMLismybeach

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 25 October 2009 - 12:08 PM.

#24 Diet Chugg

Diet Chugg

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

For some reason the downloaded example .gmk won't run correctly... It gives me a long error code.
Is this supposed to happen?

#25 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

For some reason the downloaded example .gmk won't run correctly... It gives me a long error code.

Noooo... that isn't supposed to happen... I'll check that now!

EDIT: It's fine for me. Is anyone else getting the same result?

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 29 October 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#26 Krisando

Krisando

GMC Member

• 1351 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:44 AM

Noooo... that isn't supposed to happen... I'll check that now!

EDIT: It's fine for me. Is anyone else getting the same result?

Yup.

{	// If the Message Buffer is empty, ignore and quit	if (js_msg_buf_size(1)) exit;	var _msg,_bufVal;	_msg="";	_bufVal=js_msg_buf_value(argument0);	// This script will determin if it is a Textbox, Question or a Message ------------------	// Locate the string '^BUT^' and, if found, it is either a textbox a question	if (string_count("^BUT^",_bufVal)>0) {		var list;		 // This is for drawing buttons		if (argument1) return 1;		_msQDefault=false;		if (_msQDefaultVal!=-1) _msQDefault=true;		/* ---------------		Determine if we are using a textbox or just a question		--------------- */		// Set the variable		var bufToString,extra;		bufToString=_bufVal;		extra="";		// Find the 'TBOX' tag		if( string_count("^TBOX^",_bufVal)==1) {			list=PARSE_the_STRING(_bufVal,"^TBOX^",false);			bufToString=ds_list_find_value(list,1);			_tbTyping=true;			keyboard_string="";			extra="###";		}		// Create a list with the Question and Button Texts		list=PARSE_the_STRING(bufToString,"^BUT^",false);		for (l=1; l<ds_list_size(list); l+=1) {			if (string_count("$DCODE",ds_list_find_value(list,l))==0) but[l-1]=PARSE_the_STRING(ds_list_find_value(list,l),"$CODE$",false);			else {				_msQDefault=true;				but[l-1]=PARSE_the_STRING(ds_list_find_value(list,l),"$DCODE$",false);			}		}		// Create the message to display on screen		var msg2Do;		msg2Do=ds_list_find_value(list,0);		if (string_count("^TBOX^",msg2Do)==0) {			msg2Do=string_replace(msg2Do,"^TBOX^","");		}		if (_msWrdWrp!=-1) msg2Do=WRAP_the_STRING(msg2Do,_msWrdWrp,"#",_msWrdFrc);		_msg=msg2Do+"#_____________#"+extra;		var size;		if (string_count("$DCODE$",bufToString)!=1) size=ds_list_size(list);		else size=ds_list_size(list)-1;		for (i=1; i<size; i+=1) _msg+="#"+ds_list_find_value(but[i-1],0)+"#";		for (i=1; i<ds_list_size(list); i+=1) js_msg_cbuf(ds_list_find_value(but[i-1],1));	} else {		if (argument1) return 0;		// Create the message to display on screen		var msg2Do;		msg2Do=_bufVal;		if (_msWrdWrp!=-1) msg2Do=WRAP_the_STRING(msg2Do,_msWrdWrp,"#",_msWrdFrc);		if (_msDsp==-1) _msg=msg2Do+_msConTxt;		else _msg=msg2Do;	}	return _msg;}

at position 2452: Symbol } expected.

#27 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

Ok, well, no, that is NOT supposed to happen, but it is so weird how it is working fine for me. I'll see if I can sort this out.
Thanks for confirming... I think...? :D

#28 Drandula

Drandula

Mister Pixel

• GMC Member
  • 269 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

Try fix fast and then put link again.
I wanna test this TT__TT But screens
look great :D

~Drandula~

#29 Jazza4Lyf

Jazza4Lyf

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 247 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

I wanna test this TT__TT

Fear not! It was really weird... the problem were the comments!
But it compiled fine in the previous versions, so I didn't even consider them.

It is NOT fun finding all your comments and turning them into blocks!

Anyway, I have fixed that but now something else has come up... working on that too!

[ WATCH THIS SPACE! ]

OMG! I cannot believe I just noticed that...
The second problem - IT WASN'T INITIALIZED! :D

OK, I shall re-upload now! New links inserted! Have fun with version 2.2!

Also, please note, while I was fixing this error, I noticed I nearly compiled it with a depreciated function!
'js_msg_colour()' is no more, instead, it has been broken up into 4 smaller scripts so you don't have to type 9 '-1's when you want to change 1 thing!

Edited by Jazza4Lyf, 04 November 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#30 Blue Leader

Blue Leader

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

I've got a question... Do you happen to have an example file that's a GMK instead of an executable? It would really help to understand the engine to have a working example where I could see the code in action...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users