• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 A.I.

A.I.

GMC Member

• 504 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:46 AM

PROJECT ON HOLD

Intro: I haven't made a whole lot of games lately, but I've been playing a lot of them, and there are a lot of elements in these games that I wanted to see together in one... Now I'm not the greatest spriter, or voice actor, or composer, so I chose to keep everything simple. I'm pretty serious about getting this done, so your support is greatly appreciated.

Game Style: This is a blend of Mount&Blade, Zelda, and Rage of Mages, with emphasis on a good story line, big battles, and player immersion.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Story outline:Story isn't implemented yet, I have a ways to go but here's the beginning. You start off in your town, talk to the people, rescue some guys cow, and eventually you go talk to your father (the head honcho in the village). When you get to him, he's meeting with a shady sort of figure. It turns out that the guy is an emissary from a resistance army known as the Jarim. He wants your village to support their cause, but your father is reluctant to take sides. Suddenly, in bursts a messenger from your village's lookout tower. Apparently a small party of the empire's elite guard are marching in full combat gear towards your village center. Your father dismisses you both and goes outside... Etc Etc what happens next?

CONTROLS:Arrows: move your butt around the screen Z: Hold to charge, release to attack X: Hold to block C: Press to interact

Technical Specifications: Not large, for now... 2.8 megs, doesn't change your resolution, full screen is available via f4. I get about 162 frames per second in debug mode, so you should be able to run it. Also, a question for you guys, would you rather have full screen maintain the aspect ratio, or have it stretch a little?

Game File: (version3.0)
Fall of the Empire (.exe : 2.78mb)

Jarim motto: "Nos es totidem" or, "We are just as many" in reference to the Empire's armies.

Edited by A.I., 02 August 2009 - 11:56 AM.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| βeta 33%
Check out my newest work in progress! Leave feedback. Offer assistance. What ever!

#2 A.I.

A.I.

GMC Member

• 504 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

The WIP has been updated. AGAIN
Alpha v3.0
Changelog:
  • A.I. alignment issue resolved
  • Room to room status preservation implemented (who knew you could set a room to persistant?!)
  • Dialog engine redone, now scripted sequences can be embedded in dialog. (see opening sequence)
  • New grass texture
  • New areas in the starting village
  • New characters (courtesy of hanbaal).
  • Room transition bugs resolved
  • Characters not facing you when you speak to them resolved.
  • Character speech logs are constant through the entire game
  • minor bug fixes and code optimizations
Coming Later:
  • More characters (courtesy of Hanbaal and TheDavinator)
  • Women (thanks Hanbaal)
  • Archers (thanks TheDavinator)
  • experience points
  • inventory in progress (July 24)
  • quest log
  • Friendly combat interactions (ie, giving orders to friendly NPCs)
  • improved NPC pathfinding in progress (July 24)
  • Sprinting/stamina bar
  • CREDITS! Whoops, sorry Hanbaal/TheDavinator
  • And of course, more story.

Edited by A.I., 25 July 2009 - 02:34 AM.

Check out my newest work in progress! Leave feedback. Offer assistance. What ever!

#3 Alec Ridgeway

Alec Ridgeway

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:01 AM

It looks fun. The graphics remind me of the old Sega Genesis game Power Monger.

#4 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:20 AM

This is a great start for a game! :P

Pros:
  • Unique graphics
  • Cool sound effects
  • I like the fighting system
  • The storyline sounds pretty interesting so far
Some suggestions:
  • One problem with the fighting system is that you can only really hit the enemy's feet. I assume that this is because you're using a mask for the isometric viewpoint, but a way around this (if you want to change it; this is just my opinion) is to have another object act as a mask of the entire figure so that you can eg. hit enemies in the torso. There are probably better ways to program this as well.
  • There was a glitch with the view on the far left side of the room; it kept on shaking uncontrollably
  • You should be able to run; the guy moves too slow
All-in-all a great start! Keep it up! :P

#5 A.I.

A.I.

GMC Member

• 504 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

Hey Alec Ridgeway, thanks for taking a look! I'm really hoping that I can accomplish a depth and range of game play comparable to Power Monger-- but hopefully with less money than Bullfrog had to expend. :)

Turgon! Thanks for reviewing the work in progress! And also thanks for reminding me about that camera shake bug. I noticed it a little while ago and forgot about it, so I'm going to see what I can do about fixing that for next time. I'm not presently sure what causes it, but the code for camera control is relatively local, so it should be easy to fix.
Haha, I'm also glad you like the sounds! I worked sort of hard on getting them right, and it would be awful to have them detract from the game, so thank you for the complement! What did you think about the midi sountrack? Should I move to MP3s or does midi fit the style better?

As far as the fighting system, I'm sorry you're having issues! Here'a little diagram that describes my way of thinking about the way players interact in combat:
Posted Image
I expect players to be able to attack from the top, bottom, left, and right, and the hit boxes are at the player's feet (approximated around the knight in light green). But to avoid irregular collisions, ATTACKS also come from the feet, and while that sounds a little ridiculous in theory, it works very well in practice. If the sword is lined up with the enemy, it will hit! This means you can pretty much only attack the enemy's torso, although it may look like you're hitting their feet or head when attacking from the top or bottom. Maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying though, maybe a little picture might help me understand what you mean! Thanks for the feedback regardless.

Running is a good idea. I'll find some way to either speed up the player's normal walking speed, or add a run key. If I have running though, I might also add stamina, and maybe I'll even add a running charge attack bonus! Thanks for that idea.

Thank you both for your support. Work resumes... NOW!

#6 turgon

turgon

VP Studios

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Okay, I see how your fighting system works now. It was just a little frustrating in-game when I'd try to hit them, and my sword did *seem* to pass through them, but I kept on *just barely* missing the mask. Whatever works, though. :)

I like the idea of a running attack bonus; that would be pretty neat.

I think that you should stick with midi music; it fits the graphical style better in my opinion. Keep the good work up! :o

#7 A.I.

A.I.

GMC Member

• 504 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

Ah, well.. Gee oh man. Well it turns out...

Okay well what I have in my engine is the guy moves 1 px per frame, which is great, but if I put it to 2 it's far too fast. So you'd think, maybe try 1.5, and I have, but that causes a lot of camera shaking because you can only move the camera by 1 pixel increments. :P(

So the higher movement speed has temporarily been induced via raising the room speed to 37, and charging has yet to be implemented ;)
Also I've decided that inventory and experience points would make the game way better, so I'm going to start working on implementing those soon.

Right now I'm taking a 3 day hiatus to go camping with some friends, but I'll be back at work on this as soon as I return. In the meantime, I would love some suggestions for plot events, quests, weapons, armor, as well as reports of bugs and other gameplay issues!

The changelog for alpha v2.5 has been edited in on the second post, and a new version has been uploaded.

EDIT: oh yeah, I changed the name like a thousand times. I decided I liked "Acronis". It comes from the latin 'acro' which means at the tip, extremity, or peak, and this is significant because as the main character you are at the spearhead of the Jarim rebellion.

Edited by A.I., 17 July 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#8 Liteuser

Liteuser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 542 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:18 PM

Its fun but it was very confusing, I had no idea what to do and no matter what direction i went in i found 20 imperial soldiers or whatever

#9 Dizzi D

Dizzi D

GMC Member

• 316 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:14 AM

How do you get the sword?

#10 stumlehb

stumlehb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

interesting game .. I like the controls and the colors. a lot of nice little details too.. can you control more than one person at a time? I wish I had a game engine like this to plug my graphics into..

#11 A.I.

A.I.

GMC Member

• 504 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

interesting game .. I like the controls and the colors. a lot of nice little details too.. can you control more than one person at a time? I wish I had a game engine like this to plug my graphics into..

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it. Development has been a little slow lately because real life has taken its toll, but I'm getting geared up to add a lot of new features after my physics exam.
Right now, you know how you can talk to the NPCs? Well later, when you talk to combat NPCs (like militia and stuff) you can ask them to follow you, wait somewhere, charge the enemy, and possibly more; so in a sense I'm planning on allowing the player to control more than one character-- which is going to be awesome.
And, while I can't give you the engine for this right now (the engine isn't done, and this is still a WIP, once I complete the project, it will be open source), if you have any related graphics, maybe you'd be interested in contributing to the game? I'm always looking for graphics that fit the time period and sprite style.

How do you get the sword?

In some versions the main character has a sword, in other versions he does not. Right now there is no inventory system, so acquiring a sword in game is impossible unless I've set the player variable 'canattack' to 1.

Its fun but it was very confusing, I had no idea what to do and no matter what direction i went in i found 20 imperial soldiers or whatever

Ah yes, because this is an incomplete project, the game has little... continuity... but as the engine folds out, and as I add new (and important) features, the plot will thicken, the quests will unfold, the imperial soldiers will leave.

#12 Kyon

Kyon

Creator of Dirkels

• GMC Member
  • 4247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hey,
this is a very nice game!
Nice job,
I love the style, it is all retro and stuff.
(ps: how is it going with the voice acting?)

My name is Kyon Edelenbosch, I Design, Program and Animate.

Learn more about Dirkels at http://kecreations.forumotion.com/

#13 death-droid

death-droid

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2600 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

Looks like quite a fun game.
Love the retro styled graphics.

Posted Image

#14 stumlehb

stumlehb

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

Awesome! I'm glad you liked it. Development has been a little slow lately because real life has taken its toll, but I'm getting geared up to add a lot of new features after my physics exam.
Right now, you know how you can talk to the NPCs? Well later, when you talk to combat NPCs (like militia and stuff) you can ask them to follow you, wait somewhere, charge the enemy, and possibly more; so in a sense I'm planning on allowing the player to control more than one character-- which is going to be awesome.
And, while I can't give you the engine for this right now (the engine isn't done, and this is still a WIP, once I complete the project, it will be open source), if you have any related graphics, maybe you'd be interested in contributing to the game? I'm always looking for graphics that fit the time period and sprite style.

I don't think I have any graphics of that scale.. I generally make larger stuff like the example in my sig.. not sure if shrinking my stuff would work to well..

In controlling more than one, would you be controlling only one and having them issue orders to the others, or would you be switching control from one to the other?

#15 Fragment

Fragment

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

At first i wasnt to keen on the grafix but after a while it starts to grow on you. Good progress so far and i look forward to seeing this game at a later stage of development.

bannergmmentors5.png

#16 A.I.

A.I.

GMC Member

• 504 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

In controlling more than one, would you be controlling only one and having them issue orders to the others, or would you be switching control from one to the other?

What I'm planning on is something like this: You go into a battle, press 'interact' on a friendly NPC and give him a tactical order like "follow me" "charge the enemy" or "stay here". So you'll be able to order troops around in that sense, but DIRECT control won't be implemented, because I want the player to develop a better connection with the main character.

I don't think I have any graphics of that scale.. I generally make larger stuff like the example in my sig.. not sure if shrinking my stuff would work to well...

UNDERSTOOD! I took a look at your game, and the graphics are fantastic! I hope you can find someone really good at programming to get it off the ground. (they're at the wrong angle anyway, too realistic!)

At first i wasnt to keen on the grafix but after a while it starts to grow on you. Good progress so far and i look forward to seeing this game at a later stage of development.

Cool! I knew the graphical style wouldn't rub everyone the right way, but I'm hoping I'll be able to pull a great game through anyhow. I keep remembering all the old games like Rage of mages, Hexen, and Doom that were really fun despite their low quality sprites. I'm not a great spriter other than basic pixel art so I figured I'd stay with my strengths!
Glad to hear it came through for you :)
New version out NOW by the way.

Edited by A.I., 22 July 2009 - 03:52 PM.

#17 commander of games

commander of games

Kaos Kreator

• GMC Member
  • 2883 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

Sounds cool. I think it would be cool if you made it an MMORPG! :) But that might be a little bit beyond your level. It's beyond mine anyway... Anyway, cool game!

P.S.: A.I., thanks for making me sprites in that other thread!

Edited by commander of games, 26 July 2009 - 12:51 AM.

InvaderX.gif