257 replies to this topic

#251 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

Judging by the dozens of emails I received over the last week, changing web hosts right before holidays was a bad idea  :whistling:.

Anyway, the link is back up now.

Dev: MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" w/ Win7 (Parallels) running GM Studio: Master and GM8 (GMS: ANDROID JAVA EXTENSIONS ARE HERE!)
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II / Samsung Galaxy S III / iPhone 4S / iPad 2 / iPod Touch 5th gen

Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.

-Gore Vidal

#252 ThePC007

ThePC007

Chickenator

• GMC Member
  • 1062 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

The download link is broken. Would you mind fixing it (again)?

#253 chreechokash007

chreechokash007

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Will this work with android?

#254 GrixM

GrixM

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

What does this do, does it delete data that is used such as ds_ structures, buffers, surfaces, loaded files etc? Or is it completely safe in that it only frees RAM that is not used by anything?

EDIT: Doesn't seem like this works very well. It seems to "hide" the RAM rather than actually free it. When running the script my program shrinks to under 10MB RAM even though that's impossible, it contains dozens of megabytes stored in datastructures. And sure enough, when pushing it far enough the program crashes due to memory overload, even though task manager says this program uses only a few dozen megabytes of RAM because of this DLL, while in reality it must have used nearly 2GB at the point of crashing.

Edited by GrixM, 17 July 2015 - 11:58 AM.

#255 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:00 PM

Yeah you really don't need this, especially not in the era of Studio. I was always told that this DLL is more of an illusion than anything.

:duck:

#256 GrixM

GrixM

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Yeah you really don't need this, especially not in the era of Studio. I was always told that this DLL is more of an illusion than anything.

One useful function is the one that tells you how much RAM the program is using though. One of my programs can use a LOT of memory when loading large files, maybe I will use this DLL to display a warning once a memory usage threshold is reached so that the user won't be surprised by a crash and lose all unsaved work.. Or just make the program more memory efficient but that's easier said than done :)

Edited by GrixM, 17 July 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#257 Loaf

Loaf

Just loafing around

• GMC:Member
  • 2164 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

You should only use DLLs if you really need to though, cross-compatibility is an awful sacrifice for a pointless check.

:duck:

#258 ian12

ian12

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:00 AM

Very very helpful.. Thanks :3