Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

CleanMemV3.0
By Halo Shg

Information:
CleanMem frees your application's excess memory which may improve performance, especially on older computers.

Compatibility: Windows XP and above (including 8 as far as I know)

HUGE Thanks to score_under for rewriting and optimizing this DLL in ASM. If you're giving credit, I'd suggest crediting him.

Functions:
  • cleanmem_init
  • cleanmem
  • cleanmem_get_mem
Special Notes:
You should probably call this on room change and game end. More won't do any harm, but it wouldn't really be necessary.
This DLL is only 1kb in size.
On Game Maker 8.1+ and Studio you need to call cleanmem_init(0); instead of cleanmem_init(); at the start of the game. This is because GM no longer interprets missing parameters as 0, but rather as an error!

Legal Information And Licensing
Ok, so a lot of people have been asking me about this (both here and in PM's). I figured I'd better put up some info.

Use it for whatever you want, no restrictions. No credit needed.

I am, however, curious as to who uses this DLL, so if you want to PM/email ([my username without spaces] [at] gmail [dot] com) me when you release a game with it, I would be delighted

Source:
Use the download link provided with the correct extension (source was written in C by myself and ASM by score_under)

Download:
Direct download

Update 2014/01/07 - Fixed download link and removed Comic Sans (*why* would I choose CS in the first place? I have no idea.)

Edited by halo shg, 08 January 2014 - 05:14 PM.

Dev: MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" w/ Win7 (Parallels) running GM Studio: Master and GM8 (GMS: ANDROID JAVA EXTENSIONS ARE HERE!)
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II / Samsung Galaxy S III / iPhone 4S / iPad 2 / iPod Touch 5th gen

Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.

-Gore Vidal

#2 Sindarin

Sindarin

Indie Game Developer

• 1644 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Nice work!
As I have already made something similar for my games I'd say it would be safe to free the memory every 50 steps (don't use it in a Step event, leave some interval between).
Just DON'T free the memory when you're e.g. creating, replacing a sprite, background, sound or freeing them. (Should make sense)
I wonder why Game Maker doesn't have an inbuilt function for this?

Edited by Sindarin, 30 June 2009 - 08:01 PM.

GM 8.1 / GM:HTML5 User

#3 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:24 PM

Well, I did give it a try, and watched the memory usage in Process Explorer. It didn't work. :) The memory usage just stopped increasing (didn't make any more images). Now I have a huge memory leak and need to restart. :D

Maybe it's the example?

Windows XP SP3, Intel P4 1.7GHz (32 bit)

#4 WadeMcGillis

WadeMcGillis

wademcgillis.com

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:38 PM

Now I have a huge memory leak and need to restart. :)

Wait, the memory doesn't automatically free when a program closes?

#5 score_under

score_under

Least kawaii

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

BUG: You don't close your process handle after you open it.

Anti-Decompiler for GM6.1 to GM8.1.91! :GM8_new: [Main skin by Sindarin]
Discontinued.

decimal2.png
^ Signature image because it's been sorta empty since the old host died

If you need to contact me, I still get notification emails from PMs.

#6 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

That's strange. I had no problems testing it on multiple computers running multiple operating systems.

EDIT:

BUG: You don't close your process handle after you open it.

Fixed. Redownload.

Edited by halo shg, 01 July 2009 - 03:35 PM.

Dev: MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" w/ Win7 (Parallels) running GM Studio: Master and GM8 (GMS: ANDROID JAVA EXTENSIONS ARE HERE!)
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II / Samsung Galaxy S III / iPhone 4S / iPad 2 / iPod Touch 5th gen

Politics' is made up of two words, 'poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are blood-sucking insects.

-Gore Vidal

#7 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:25 PM

Debug version returned zero, and still didn't clear any memory.
CM.exe is complete rubbish, it seems to be corrupt, and I can't delete it...thanks for the Trojan, removed.

Edited by GMREC1111, 30 June 2009 - 09:26 PM.

#8 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

EDIT:
Post removed.

You can still get PcWinTech's memory cleaning tool from PcWinTech.com

Edited by halo shg, 10 November 2009 - 09:42 PM.

-Gore Vidal

#9 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

It is still failing, no changes are detected in Process Explorer (excluding the stopping of allocating memory). Basically it doesn't show a decline, but it did in fact update.

#10 HaRRiKiRi

HaRRiKiRi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1364 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

It works perfectly for me (win xp 32bit sp3). It increases the load when run and when I press space the mem usage drops down to about 2,000K (from 35,000 or even 50,000). So it works nicely. :huh:

#11 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

I haven't yet tried it but is very interesting. This would be a tool for anyone with a game that drains tons of memory.

Downloading now!

#12 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

@Sindarin - I too wonder why it isn't built in. It was only like 5 lines of code. :)

@GMREC1111 - I think I may have found the problem. You said you were using Process Explorer, so I assume you were looking at Virtual Size,
instead of Working Set. Basically, your looking at the amount allocated memory, not memory usage.

You can toggle that column, or use Windows XP's task manager by typing taskmgr.exe into the run dialog

@HaRRiKiRi - Thank you for confirming that it works on SP3. Thanks for testing it aswell.

@smart_monkey - I'd be happy to hear your response :huh:

~ Halo Shg

-Gore Vidal

#13 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

@GMREC1111 - I think I may have found the problem. You said you were using Process Explorer, so I assume you were looking at Virtual Size,
instead of Working Set. Basically, your looking at the amount allocated memory, not memory usage.

Okay, I guess it works. But it's not freeing allocated memory. If I read correctly. :huh:

#14 prog

prog

GMC Member

• 1121 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

This really helps with my 3D game. (With this, it actually goes above 10 fps on my crappy computer)!
Progames

NEW WEBSITE!
I have a large collection of music on my website. If you need some, take a look.
If you need a script, PM me. I'll make you one for free.

#15 Meiun

Meiun

GMC Member

• 248 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Just tried it on Vista 64 bit, and seems to work fine. As useful as this does seem, would you mind adding a description of how exactly this works and what it is that it is doing to free the memory?

#16 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

Actually it may be the second such dll :huh:. However, nice you got it published...unlike someone else. Quite stable too...

#17 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:04 PM

Very nice. At first I thought it would mess with loaded resources or some such nonsense, but I underestimated you. A quick test (saving the created sprites to a ds_list and drawing them all every step) shows the resources are fine and the memory still drops incredibly!

Very nice. I need to go check out how much memory Blastix is using (never did, ironically), and if it's a large amount, I'll definitely use this DLL.

-IMP :) :huh:

*EDIT* Well, the test was a success. Blastix was hogging almost 100,000 KB of RAM, then I used your DLL and called it every time the room changes, and it knocked down to only 7KB. Amazing. I'll be using this.

Edited by IceMetalPunk, 01 July 2009 - 10:11 PM.

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#18 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

@GMREC1111 - I'm not sure if this is possible. Even all the commercial memory cleaners I've tried fail to do this. Makes me think it isn't possible.

@prog - Glad you liked it. :)

@Meiun - Of course. Using an API call, I am able to remove pages from the working set (Google it). First, however, I must register this DLL as a "debugger" to avoid denial of access. If you want the (C++) source, PM me. I would be happy to give it to you. I'm not sure if I'd like to release it to public yet though.

@uuf6429 - Well, OK. Mines publicly available :P

@IceMetalPunk - :skull: Windows doesn't fail that badly. Also, I sure hope you meant 7,000KB. Otherwise I might assume performance-enhancing drugs were involved :P

On a final note, happy Canada Day to all! And in case I forget, happy early Independence Day!

~ Halo Shg

-Gore Vidal

#19 Krisando

Krisando

GMC Member

• 1351 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:39 AM

Wow worked great.

Posted Image

#20 prog

prog

GMC Member

• 1121 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:43 AM

What exactly does this do?
Progames

NEW WEBSITE!
I have a large collection of music on my website. If you need some, take a look.

#21 TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 5247 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:00 AM

There's a nice animated picture in the first post, it really describes this much better then we can in words. :skull:

#22 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

There's a nice animated picture in the first post, it really describes this much better then we can in words. :unsure:

Putting it easy, it cleans the mess that GM causes in the memory :whistle:.

#23 brett14

brett14

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1151 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:43 AM

Very nice dll, speeds up my game and doesn't seem to leave any memory leaks. I ran 6 copies in a row @1gb memory each., then exited it. My pc still ran just as fast!

P3DC V6.00 | Editor14 | Large 3D Terrain

GML programmer since 2005, C/C++ programmer since 2009, Java programmer since 2012

#24 IceMetalPunk

IceMetalPunk

InfiniteIMPerfection

• GMC Elder
  • 9603 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:40 AM

@IceMetalPunk - :whistle: Windows doesn't fail that badly. Also, I sure hope you meant 7,000KB. Otherwise I might assume performance-enhancing drugs were involved :skull:

Ah, yes, I meant 7,000 KB. Or maybe 7KKB? Anyway, it's still a very impressive drop.

-IMP :D :unsure:

:GM123: Are you an artist who likes creating original creature designs? Maybe you can help out with Elementa here! Give it a look; you might like the idea :)

:bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny: :excl: :bunny:

#25 uuf6429

uuf6429

Covac Software

• 2522 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

Very nice dll, speeds up my game and doesn't seem to leave any memory leaks. I ran 6 copies in a row @1gb memory each., then exited it. My pc still ran just as fast!

The performance gained is during the running of the program, when any program exits, all its used memory is cleaned up, even memory leaks.
The point of memory leaks is using too much memory for no reason.

#26 OpticalLiam

OpticalLiam

GMC Member

• 782 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

If this works how I think it does, then it is a false economy.

#27 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

If this works how I think it does, then it is a false economy.

It does not work the way you think, then. It does not force pages into the pagefile, it actually removes them.
Check out PcWinTech Memory Cleaner
Scroll down to the bottom, the personal note. This DLL uses the same technique.

-Gore Vidal

#28 GearGOD

GearGOD

Deus Verus

• GMC Member
  • 2153 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

Its a double edged sword. There's a good possibility that at a later point something deallocated by this procedure will need to be loaded again, at which point the process will have to stop and do said loading.
If anything, call it once when the game starts to free the leftovers from the game loading process.
Engineers are not programmers. Stop thinking that you can save a few bucks by writing code yourself instead of hiring a programmer. Your code sucks.

#29 XD005

XD005

Daxter (For PSP) Fan

• GMC Member
  • 1285 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

Sweet! I'll add it in Dancing Inferno 2. And Execute it right after loading the band animations and right after a session of gameplay.

#30 score_under

score_under

Least kawaii

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Ah, yes, I meant 7,000 KB. Or maybe 7KKB? Anyway, it's still a very impressive drop.

Or even 7 MB. ;)

Discontinued.

decimal2.png

#31 prog

prog

GMC Member

• 1121 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

There's a nice animated picture in the first post, it really describes this much better then we can in words. ::lmao::

I meant what does it do to get from the before part of the picture to the after part.
Progames

NEW WEBSITE!

#32 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:45 AM

There's a nice animated picture in the first post, it really describes this much better then we can in words. ::lmao::

I meant what does it do to get from the before part of the picture to the after part.

Explanation

-Gore Vidal

#33 IamCalle

IamCalle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

This is truly great and interesting, though, as GearGod explained earlier, it has to be used correctly as it might actually result slow speeds, glitches, etc, if deallocated memory has to be re-loaded.

I will definitely implement it in my engine if I can be somewhat assured this works for the general user, thanks.

Edited by IamCalle, 12 July 2009 - 12:45 AM.

#34 krele

krele

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

This, my friend, is epic. The game I'm making uses enormous amount of memory, but by calling this dll every 20-30 seconds it decreases dramatically! No errors at all!

Now, this board needs a karma system =/

If I helped you, you can help me back :3

Brocoola

#35 infinitygames

infinitygames

GMC Member

• 254 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Great! thanks il be useing this from now on works pefect I went from 12,000k to 5,000k :P

Edited by infinitygames, 25 July 2009 - 11:33 AM.

I'm often bored, if you need any help I can always see what I can do!
"lemmon1994@hotmail.com"

#36 KXMoon

KXMoon

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

I LOVE this dll!

You my friend are a god!

#37 smart_monkey

smart_monkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

Any large game needs something like this.

I personally wouldn't call it in a time interval but rather between loading sequences ie. End of Level (Before Loading new Level), Go to Main Menu etc.

#38 e_barroga

e_barroga

ES Studios Leader

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:19 AM

Because Mark Overmars isn't good at programming.

rsa_gmc_sig.png

logoGIF1.gif EXTENSION. PM TO PURCHASE LICENSE.

#39 MrJackSparrow2

MrJackSparrow2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

Because Mark Overmars isn't good at programming.

I hope you are joking. If not you are an absolute idiot.

Regardless, awesome DLL.

#40 Mr Weird Guy

Mr Weird Guy

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

Would I be able to use this for a game I plan to sell?

#41 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:38 PM

Would I be able to use this for a game I plan to sell?

Most definitely. If you have any special requests, PM me.

And thanks to all those who have replied. I appreciate it.

- Halo Shg

-Gore Vidal

#42 Mr Weird Guy

Mr Weird Guy

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:35 AM

You are so awesome for making this. Even if you did charge money for use in retail games, you'd still be awesome, just to a lesser degree. I just did a quick test and it brought me from 70k to 15k. Now that's a difference that anyone can appreciate!

#43 gamer dee

gamer dee

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:42 AM

Nice. :GM060:
This brought my game from around 1,000,000K to about 8,000K - 13,000K.

#44 Southman

Southman

I simply am not here

• GMC Member
  • 1662 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

Nice. :GM060:
This brought my game from around 1,000,000K to about 8,000K - 13,000K.

thats a gigabyte almost

#45 gamer dee

gamer dee

GMC Member

• 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:13 PM

thats a gigabyte almost

I think it was at least around that amount. Somewhere between 300,000k and 1,000,000k. At can't remember exactly and can't test it right now because of windows update.

Edited by gamer dee, 14 August 2009 - 02:14 PM.

#46 brett14

brett14

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1151 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

I'm using this is another 3D engine I'm making. I made my last one when this didn't exist, and It used about 800mb of memory (for a regioned terrain), but with this it's down to around 30-40 mb! Also increases speed, because GM performs slower with large amounts of memory used.

P3DC V6.00 | Editor14 | Large 3D Terrain

GML programmer since 2005, C/C++ programmer since 2009, Java programmer since 2012

#47 JCizKool

JCizKool

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

This seems very nice, But can you explain how it works?

#48 score_under

score_under

Least kawaii

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

JCizKool:
Removed on request, PM Halo SHG if you need it

Edited by score_under, 16 August 2009 - 07:55 PM.

Discontinued.

decimal2.png

#49 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

This seems very nice, But can you explain how it works?

If you read the rest of the thread, you will find I have explained it to several people. Just look.

JCizKool:

[SNIP]

Similar, however, you are missing some key parts of the code (ie. if you compile it, yours wouldn't work).

And for future reference, no one likes when you post a source that's trying to emulate the original program, especially since you used the same function name, however simple the code may be. This wasn't helping JCizKool at all; he was asking how it worked. Make sure you respect other people. If they would like the code released to public (read my note at the bottom) they can do so themselves. I am perfectly capable of releasing 100% of the source myself, and do not need any help on that.

It would have been wiser to link him to this MSDN article and this post. That respects everyone and actually helps someone.

Please remember that.

If users would like the source code, they can PM me.

-Gore Vidal

#50 score_under

score_under

Least kawaii

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:04 PM

Similar, however, you are missing some key parts of the code (ie. if you compile it, yours wouldn't work).

I was fairly sure it did work, but I could be wrong... anyway, removed.

Discontinued.

decimal2.png