Make 'em Sweat

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

This is a sort of rhythm game I've been working on for a week or two. I finally sat down with GM and decided to learn it, so it's pretty basic... I'm learning as I go, so progress is pretty slow. This isn't a 'beta' but more of a test of the different screens and ideas. But it's playable, in that you can make a drum beat and some tones.

I updated this a little bit but I haven't worked on it in about a month and a half. you know how it is. anyway, theres some simple music loops that illustrate the kind of music i was going for, but still no real gameplay yet. probably some bugs in there somewhere too. anyway, take it for a spin. and sorry the file is kind of large, but i don't know how to add music with out blowing the filesize up. any ideas?

Screens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Link: (~ 7.5 mb)

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmjlzzmtkz3

Edited by farik, 09 August 2009 - 05:16 PM.

#2 Soillbegone

Soillbegone

GMC Member

• 1031 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:53 PM

Though right now it doesn't serve much purpose, it looks like it could be pretty cool.
I like using the K and L to keep a beat, but maybe change it up. I'd rather use the Left and Right arrows or something. Maybe allow for control configuration.
My Group Site

Game I Support

My Projects
Blue Radio Tuner | OCTray | Ninja Dodge
Threads I support and My Threads
Loxt Trei Spriting Thread(Inactive) | RPO Weapon Thread

#3 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:49 PM

thanks for checking it out. like i said, it looks cool right now, but you cant do a whole lot yet.

#4 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Graphics looked really good, but nothing to actually do.
It was hard to understand how to open the game, I pressed enter, saw a giant man and didn't understand how to go into the game.
Although you wrote instructions in the first post, it shouldn't be there if it doesn't work at all... T_T
The game looks neat, and it seems good.

Tamper :)

#5 Thaimal

Thaimal

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

It might be a good idea to make your character a little bit less "blackface" style. >.> I could see some people getting angry about it.

#6 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

Graphics looked really good, but nothing to actually do.
It was hard to understand how to open the game, I pressed enter, saw a giant man and didn't understand how to go into the game.
Although you wrote instructions in the first post, it shouldn't be there if it doesn't work at all... T_T
The game looks neat, and it seems good.

I know there's no instructions in the game yet, that's why I described them in the first post. So, I'm not sure what you mean by 'it doesn't work it all' ... what doesn't work?

It might be a good idea to make your character a little bit less "blackface" style. >.> I could see some people getting angry about it.

I was wondering if someone was going to take it there. That's obviously not what's intended, but I can easily see the similarity. I'll figure out a way to change it.

Thanks for the comments!

#7 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:25 PM

I know there's no instructions in the game yet, that's why I described them in the first post. So, I'm not sure what you mean by 'it doesn't work it all' ... what doesn't work?

What I meant is, that if the menu things aren't working, don't put them there and give an excuse to why it's not working.

#8 Soillbegone

Soillbegone

GMC Member

• 1031 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 12:48 AM

What I meant is, that if the menu things aren't working, don't put them there and give an excuse to why it's not working.

Tamper :skull:

It works all the way to the feet stomping and singing thing, the part that doesn't really do anything is the feet stomping.
My Group Site

Game I Support

My Projects

#9 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:26 AM

i'm not trying to make an excuse for why it doesn't 'work'. i said in the 1st post that it doesn't do anything. the scroll menu thing is there so that people can mess around and try to follow a beat, as an example... that doesn't do anything. so i know it seems there isn't a lot of progress or maybe a lot of work done yet, but like i said, it's my first try making a game, so you jut gotta roll with me here :skull: . it took me awhile to get it even to this point! i thought it was far enough along to post what i had.

thanks for the comments!

Edited by farik, 26 June 2009 - 03:27 AM.

#10 tamper2

tamper2

GMC Member

• 369 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

I am sorry then.
Well done :skull:
Hope to see new updates soon :)

Tamper

#11 WMCD

WMCD

Spritist

• GMC Member
  • 1422 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

I can figure this post out. Am I missing some obvious potentially-offensive element here?

As for the game, I am unable to download right now, but, based of the screenshots, the graphical style is absolutely wonderful! Definitely unique.(Just what we need around "Realism Town" a.k.a. this forum :skull:)

Edited by Old School Gaming, 26 June 2009 - 08:52 AM.

#12 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:49 PM

I can figure this post out. Am I missing some obvious potentially-offensive element here?

only if you're trying to start something from nothing. i kid, but seriously... this aint the 1920's. its not supposed to be a 'blackface' character, and i probably wont change it. if someone actually complains that it offends them, we'll see, but for the record - again - the character is not meant to be inflammatory.

oh, and i'm glad you like the graphics. thanks!

Edited by farik, 27 June 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#13 Jo-Remi

Jo-Remi

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 90 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Really cool pixelated graphics on this one:D Could be really awesome if you make some nice beats;-)

#14 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

i'm glad people are interested! i've started whipping up some tunes with fl and i'll post an updated version soon (i'm gonna get slammed at work the next few days... july 4th weeked, ay carumba)

#15 Soillbegone

Soillbegone

GMC Member

• 1031 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

I understand, i'm looking forward to it.

Work will be killer, so much stuff to do, so little time.
My Group Site

Game I Support

My Projects

#16 zachTaylor

zachTaylor

GMC Member

• 329 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

That was pretty good. I liked the pixel-ly style. The game play was simple and fun. The ASD ZXC sounds were kind of annoying but the feet noises were good. I know this is pretty obvious but maybe you can make some kind of miss message if you don't hit the key on time?

I hope you continue to work on this.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 farik

farik

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

posted a slightly updated (and larger) version. still can't do a whole lot, but theres music and some other little changes.

Edited by farik, 09 August 2009 - 05:10 PM.