• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AquariusUSA

AquariusUSA

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:24 AM

Medium 1.1

Medium is a game I made that spawned from a simple experiment. The concept is simple: Stay alive. Which is hard, in a world full of merciless entities that chase you around for no apparent reason while firing thousands upon thousands of bullets within seconds. You control the player with the mouse, while navigating through randomized bullet hells. There is no end. It just goes on. But it's addicting. Or so I've heard. So anyway, without further totally unintentional paragraph maximizing to make this page look bigger, let's jump in to some details and screenshots.
---
GAME INFO:

New in v1.1:
-Story
-Interactive tutorial
-Original music
-Different AI for each entity
-Point and click menu

The sole concept is to stay alive. Enemies spawn everywhere and fire literally hundreds of bullets every second, and you are unarmed. All you can do is dodge.

It sounds like it gets boring after a while, doesn't it? Well, you're probably right. However, I added a few things to make it a bit more interesting. There are 3 difficulty modes: Intermediate, Hard, and Lunatic (totally not a touhou refference). The easier the mode, the slower pace it is. But wait, there's more! Some of the sprites are external, meaning that you can edit them and change them to whatever you want. There are also some achievements you can get.
---
Here's some additional info.
Size: 5.89 MB
Fullscreen: Yes
Vista compatible.
Runs only on Windows XP or above.
Lag may occur on crappy computers.
---
DOWNLOAD:
Mirror 1
---
VIDEOS AND SCREENSHOTS
Well, here are a few screenshots and gameplay videos for you.
Screenie 1
Screenie 2
Screenie 3
Screenie 4
Screenie 5
Video 1 (v0.5)
Video 2 (v0.5)

Edited by AquariusUSA, 09 September 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#2 reigalius

reigalius

Generally Awesome

• 1170 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:46 PM

Why has nobody commented on this? I hereby bump this topic out of appreciation for how awesome this game is.
9/10 because its a little repetitive, but loads of fun.

Also, it may or may not be better with the lines connecting you to enemies. I was thinking not showing the line and then they are attracted more quickly the closer they are. Just to add a little strategy.

#3 AquariusUSA

AquariusUSA

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:48 AM

Wow, thanks for the bump.

Anyway, I made one final version of the game with original music, different entity patterns, a weak backstory, among other things c:

According to Mediafire and WHFF, Medium got over a hundred downloads, yet I got little feedback. I guess that's just how indie games work :x

Also, I can already think of a few things the game can do with and without, so if I get enough feedback and suggestions I'll probably make yet ANOTHER final version :P

Edited by AquariusUSA, 06 September 2009 - 12:50 AM.

#4 walkingbush

walkingbush

GMC Member

• 447 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Wow! This game IS fun! I wonder why no one will try it? Any way, ut was really odd, because the bullets were still there but didnt hurt me anymore. They were faded out, so I guess thats that. intense though. i felt like I was crossing an 8 lane highway on a friday night during rush hour. Being chased by acid spitting lizards.

Posted Image

Yay! Even though thats a lame achievement, I did it!
I don't always use signatures, but when I do, they are useful.

#5 AquariusUSA

AquariusUSA

GMC Member

• 221 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

Haha, thanks. Actually, the reason why the bullets didn't affect you is probably because they didn't hit your collision box (the small cyan box in the middle of you). It doesn't hurt you if they hit any part of you except for the collision box. The fading out thing is nothing more of a visual effect.

#6 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

awesome! Two bugs, though.

A) camping on a destroyer to kill those straight line buggers on intermediate will cause the room to act reaaaally weirdly on occasion

B)the sig copy paste for 40 seconds on lunatic actually gives the 10 kills on hard. Which is pretty much impossible, so I don't mind haha!
GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler