According to that Lead and Gold screenshot, I died when it was taken. :P

#92 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:54 AM

Spelunky is one of the most popular, if not THE most popular, GM game ever made.
Check this out for more info: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=466106

Spelunky is all over U-tube you should see it :P

#93 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

I've seen strategy space games go to commercial.
Spelunky is going to be on Xbox Live.

#94 Staggasaurarts

Staggasaurarts

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

caveman craig is a VERY popular game, and its got a commercial version too

#95 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1562 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Battleships Forever is pretty popular. I've seen it on quite a few
freeware game websites already. Same with An Untitled Story. And of
course,Spelunky.

Edited by XtraButter, 08 July 2010 - 05:18 PM.

#96 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

Until reading this topic I never knew An Untitled Story was made in GM. So that's major: I mean, knowing of a GM game outside of the GM world.

#97 Mystaia

Mystaia

GMC Member

• 28 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I know Cute Knight was mentioned before, but I just wanted to say I bought it and I bought Cute Knight 2 as well. (Whether those two sales count as "success" I dunno, but it's a success in my book! I'm quite picky!) Both really fun games to play, and I imagine they probably sold quite well with the audience they were intended for. Cute Knight 2 I enjoyed especially, as it addressed all the flaws of Cute Knight, and added some nice new features as well! <3

I only suspected it was a GM game cause of the loading screen. ^_^

No idea how successful it was financially speaking though...

~*Mystaia

Edited by Mystaia, 16 August 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#98 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

Is there a way to get this free?
If not is there a demo?

#99 GameGeisha

GameGeisha

GameGeisha

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

Is there a way to get this free?

What made you think that this game comes free? hpapillon has to eat and make her living, you know.

If not is there a demo?

Yes, there is. LINK

GameGeisha

#100 flyslasher

flyslasher

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1064 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

I read through the first couple of pages and ignoring the rest( sorry ) i have to say it doesn't really take time and experience to make a good game. You just have to make a game that people want to play, and it can be the most simplistic idea ever for a game yet become instantly popular.

#101 Gupocca

Gupocca

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 644 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

I read through the first couple of pages and ignoring the rest( sorry ) i have to say it doesn't really take time and experience to make a good game. You just have to make a game that people want to play, and it can be the most simplistic idea ever for a game yet become instantly popular.

Simple ideas are great. However, many of these ideas are easier to come by if you have experience in thinking up such ideas. Still, it often takes some time weeding out bad ideas until you find something which will be fun, playable... etc.

Once you've got an interesting idea, it will still take some effort for it to be successful, while your post seemed to imply that not even the slightest effort is necessary. If that were the case, YoYo Games would be flooded with only good games.

Edited by Gupocca, 27 August 2010 - 03:50 PM.

#102 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

Well that's true enough as long as it doesn't look ugly.

#103 matty_richo

matty_richo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

Surprised this wasn't mentioned.
I believe Meiun has made in excess of a thousand dollars in donations. Most of which went to paying for the server. But that was very successful and I believe in was in magazines, and on TV, it was also a popular game on onrpg for a while.
Stick Online

#104 Smilodon

Smilodon

GMC Member

• 25 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:05 AM

After all the game maker games that attempt to become popular, does anyone know of one that has actually succeeded?

I dont say this out of criticism, but I have always wondered because I have seen so many failed that i think it would be an inspiration and just plain cool to see one that has actually made it out of the "hobbiest" section with a non professional game making tool ( no offense at all to game maker, I personally love it).

If anyone knows a game like this could you please share! And moderators, I was not sure if this would be okay for this section, so feel free to move it or delete/close the topic.

In my school Death Worm is a massivley popular game piles of people play it during class

#105 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

In my school Death Worm is a massivley popular game piles of people play it during class

Mine too! Coincidence?

#106 Un_t0uch

Un_t0uch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:13 AM

Spelunky.

#107 Rexhunter99

Rexhunter99

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:18 AM

I've heard about 65 million and one BC outside of the GMC, a number of people who mentioned it to me had known it was made with GameMaker and had purchased it... though that doesn't technically answer the OPs question.

#108 FortyEightKay

FortyEightKay

Commercial Developer

• GMC Member
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

I made a c**p midi karaoke player and have had 20,000 downloads in the last year.
On running the program it takes the user to my website where I sell music. I generate about $25 a day, which is nice.

#109 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:07 AM

I know someone has already said this but Gang Garrison 2, although being freeware, is a very popular game with a lot of fans. In fact, it even has its own website and forum! People make tons of servers on it and there's always at least SOMEONE playing it, even when it's late. I consider it very successful, but it is not a financial success because it's freeware.

So far, it is the best game I has ever seen made with Game Maker, and even beats Iji in my opinion. However, both are very good games made with GM. :D

#110 Hockeyflyers

Hockeyflyers

Hockeyplayer Games

• 1108 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:15 AM

Mine too! Coincidence?

Mine too. I was surprised to see someone playing it (on their phone) because I remembered playing for a while and it was a game maker game. The one he was playing on his phone was definitely slightly different with different graphics. It was also a popular remade in flash...

#111 Dark Matter

Dark Matter

RPG Expert

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:37 AM

Since this topic has just been bumped anyway, I may as well post this. 2DCube's done quite well off GM, it seems.

#112 Unsung Hero

Unsung Hero

GMC Member

• 286 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:41 AM

Ummm...for GM games you could try the GM creations? Have you tried that? Or check out my signature for Gang Garrison 2, which is a side-scrolling multiplayer online shooter also made in GM.

#113 nxs

nxs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

Spelunky by Derek Yu is very successful and is made in Game Maker.

#114 JamesA

JamesA

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:31 PM

Mine too! Coincidence?

Mine too xD that game is addictive

#115 JamesA

JamesA

GMC Member

• 61 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

Spelunky by Derek Yu is very successful and is made in Game Maker.

That game is also going to be on Xbox Live Arcade soon, check out the website

#116 Super Guy

Super Guy

The Real Superman!

• GMC Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:24 AM

Besides the Ipod/iphone apps, I never saw a GM game get all that far.

Besides Splunky, lol.

Edited by Super Guy, 22 June 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#117 Mr. Aidan R.

Mr. Aidan R.

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

Personally, I think that the real challenge lies not in making it out of the website, but to just develop a solid "game".
If your concept and execution is good and well-received, and with a bit of logical marketing, you'll have a big chance of spreading your game to a bigger audience.

So my humble advise would be, don't worrie about publicity and so on, just make sure your game is good.

The best of luck!

#118 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Nobody should really worry about publicity until their game is as good as
the cleaner or spelunky I should think.

#119 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Besides the Ipod/iphone apps, I never saw a GM game get all that far.

Besides Splunky, lol.

I seem to recall Cute Knight&Bumps made it to retail stores, if that's your definition of 'far'. I got the impression from hpapillon that it was more trouble than it was worth. All of her games have done well, and rinkuhero's game Immortal Defense has always received positive reviews, and sold a modest amount itself, as he generously disclosed.

And then there is Mr. Smoozles goes nutso, which had some nice reviews on game sites, and then there is good ol' Mr. Chubigans games, Oil Blue seems to have done alright.

These are great games, I wouldn't say that a game got 'further' simply because it became an iphone/pod app.

#120 hpapillon

hpapillon

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 3019 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

Getting to retail is a lot easier than you might think.

Getting paid for it is a lot harder than you might think.

I'm an old-fashioned girl, I'm more interested in getting paid for my work than in trying to fluff up my business profile. I know someone in a niche near to my own who's been running a 'business' for years and shelling out to go to tradeshows and conventions, more than I do, and bringing much bigger fancier booths than I do... and has no products on sale. At all. Ever. We can only imagine that they are attempting to LOOK like a successful business in the hopes that an ACTUAL successful business will buy them out, and then they can run away laughing. Or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users