• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rabidmedia

rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

Inspiration: I was watching some Tim Burton movies from the 80's (vincent, etc...) and I thought it would make an interesting RPG. Before judging, read on...

I'm in the process of reading some Poe poems and short stories and getting a general Idea for an RPG. The game won't be a "remake" in any way, shape or form. just some similarities in style of story telling and illistration. for this I have a few questions...

-color or black and white... grayscale, maybe?
-Should the main character be boy or girl? young or old? Good (hero?) or Evil (deranged?)
-violence? lots of blood? or a more subtle type of insanity?
-should there be fighting? shooting? Surviving? turn based or realtime? (realtime most likely...)
- general gameplay style? platforming rpg? isometric? top-down?
-what should this game be called? segestions?

other than that, I have a general Idea of what the game will be like...

(ahem...) I'm the game should take place in a haunted village the main character should already be suffering from some sort of agony. (dead wife, lost job, uh.....bully problems?)...something? And is walking from his familiar setting, (house, town, apartment?) and has been for days. he finds a town with no one in it. the moon is full, and the sky is dark and cloudy. he (she?) wanders deeper into this town and walks into one of the houses. finds a chair that looks like a throne or something evil like that and sits. (by the way, would it be cool if all the text and stuff rhymed, you know, with a reasonable limit like to narration?)anyways... he falls asleep.

this is where the gameplay starts...

he wakes up and the room is still dark, the wallpaper on the walls are different and the smell of death is in the air. the only door is locked and requires a key. (now that I think about it, I think this will be like a resident evil type thing... like the older ones...)

anyways... what do youall think? good, bad? segestions? thank you for reading and considering this. if you wish to help out in any way (sprites...3d models? music? Story?), just PM me and I will greatly appericate it! ThanX :(

#2 McBink

McBink

GMC Member

• 90 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

If this is supposed to be based on Edgar Allen Poe's scary stories then I suggest you do not make it gory. I've read quite a few of his writings and they were more psycological (sp?) than violent. So, yes a "more subtle type of insanity" is my suggestion.

I don't honestly know what to say about everything else at the moment... I'd need some time to think about it...

#3 mekon

mekon

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

the beginning is kinda hackneyed, heh ^^

i think a scary game doesn't need lots of gore effects

exploring a disturbingly empty area with moments of frantic action does it for me

I've read all of poe's short stories ^^ (i prefer his satires and bizarries realy though, heh)

the one where he goes through the mirror into a weird alternate plane (i forget the name =\) would be a pretty cool setting

Or what about a story similar to the events in HP lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth (i've long thought this would make for a cool-ass exploring-type game)
It's basically your usual fair of betentacled ghoulies coming out the ocean
You could explore the abandaned town, fending off monsters, following the mystery until it led you to the cult temple which started the whole thing

A game inspired by poe is gonna have to have a crazy ass twist to the story =P

#4 rabidmedia

rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

the beginning is kinda hackneyed, heh ^^

i think a scary game doesn't need lots of gore effects

exploring a disturbingly empty area with moments of frantic action does it for me

I've read all of poe's short stories ^^ (i prefer his satires and bizarries realy though, heh)

the one where he goes through the mirror into a weird alternate plane (i forget the name =\) would be a pretty cool setting

Or what about a story similar to the events in HP lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth (i've long thought this would make for a cool-ass exploring-type game)
It's basically your usual fair of betentacled ghoulies coming out the ocean
You could explore the abandaned town, fending off monsters, following the mystery until it led you to the cult temple which started the whole thing

A game inspired by poe is gonna have to have a crazy ass twist to the story =P

very awsome...thanx!

#5 ador862

ador862

Spyre Games

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:26 PM

A 3/4 topdown exploration game with RPG elements OR no RPG elements in favour of Zelda combat (more likely).
This allows for more world depth, and sprites should be simple, but textured.
By this I mean Earthbound style black borders with fair colour detail with each object having a maximum of two different types of colours and two shades each OR one colour with four shades.
This provides more depth and artistic appeal while maintaining some sort of simplistic monotony.

I'd like an exploration game, but a mansion is kinda meh. You can't have psychological thrillers like that.
As for the mirror thing. How about this:
+ An ancestor on a distant branch of the family tree leaves you an estate and an heirloom - a weapon of sorts which you don't know how to use until near the end of the game.
+ There's a lot to explore, but the house itself is large and lonely with odd mournful servants roaming about and who never want to leave the house or enter the grounds.
+ You can explore and find peculiar sites, sheds, and mini caves where fragments of a letter appear as to <some> sinister nature of the estate (that's for you to decide)
+ One violently stormy night, you gather all pieces of the letter, you find out the evil secret or whatever, and then it instructs you on finding a key.
+ At this point you can't leave the house. The servants try to stop you, and act as bosses in the mansion attempting to kill you, and with all the weapons in strange places you find over the past week, you use them for battle.
+ You then go underground from the basement of your mansion. And then there is one LARGE final dungeon to explore where you rid the place of evil.

Try and make the story and feel house of Ushers style.

The Evil in this case could be some bleargh thing like,
+ rats in the wall-style family-run city of cannibals,
+ crypt on which a curse prevents the previous owners from going to heaven/hell,
+ or some underground system connecting houses of people in a demonic cult except they do not summon some demon. You have to kill the cult :-/ Btw I don't condone violence of any sort even if it is to a cult XD Personally I find their ways disturbing and not to be meddled with. :P
+ Or where the last owner sealed a man he hated most behind a wall (like that story by Poe involving a carnival at the beginning) and like the tell-tale heart, the ancestor/uncle whatever you had could not rest in peace while alive and dead and you have to find a way to kill this man buried behind the wall. Except he's turned into a demon XD And weird plagued creatures and masked balldancers (imitating Death & the plague) attack you in the dungeon.
+ In the end by the time your task is complete you faint, and then wake up in an insanity ward where you've been charged with murdering all the servants and being an arsonist for burning your house down.

Come to think of it, it's very LoZ-like. IMO I found legend of zelda quite disturbing too :-/
It's just those dungeons and creepy enemies. Oh and also after Ganondorf corrupted the sacred realm in OoT the plaza in front of the castle with the zombies was freaky o.o Okay this is getting off-topic, but that should give you some neat ideas on storyline.

Edited by ador862, 13 June 2009 - 12:27 PM.

#6 rabidmedia

rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

A 3/4 topdown exploration game with RPG elements OR no RPG elements in favour of Zelda combat (more likely).
This allows for more world depth, and sprites should be simple, but textured.
By this I mean Earthbound style black borders with fair colour detail with each object having a maximum of two different types of colours and two shades each OR one colour with four shades.
This provides more depth and artistic appeal while maintaining some sort of simplistic monotony.

I'd like an exploration game, but a mansion is kinda meh. You can't have psychological thrillers like that.
As for the mirror thing. How about this:
+ An ancestor on a distant branch of the family tree leaves you an estate and an heirloom - a weapon of sorts which you don't know how to use until near the end of the game.
+ There's a lot to explore, but the house itself is large and lonely with odd mournful servants roaming about and who never want to leave the house or enter the grounds.
+ You can explore and find peculiar sites, sheds, and mini caves where fragments of a letter appear as to <some> sinister nature of the estate (that's for you to decide)
+ One violently stormy night, you gather all pieces of the letter, you find out the evil secret or whatever, and then it instructs you on finding a key.
+ At this point you can't leave the house. The servants try to stop you, and act as bosses in the mansion attempting to kill you, and with all the weapons in strange places you find over the past week, you use them for battle.
+ You then go underground from the basement of your mansion. And then there is one LARGE final dungeon to explore where you rid the place of evil.

Try and make the story and feel house of Ushers style.

The Evil in this case could be some bleargh thing like,
+ rats in the wall-style family-run city of cannibals,
+ crypt on which a curse prevents the previous owners from going to heaven/hell,
+ or some underground system connecting houses of people in a demonic cult except they do not summon some demon. You have to kill the cult :-/ Btw I don't condone violence of any sort even if it is to a cult XD Personally I find their ways disturbing and not to be meddled with. :P
+ Or where the last owner sealed a man he hated most behind a wall (like that story by Poe involving a carnival at the beginning) and like the tell-tale heart, the ancestor/uncle whatever you had could not rest in peace while alive and dead and you have to find a way to kill this man buried behind the wall. Except he's turned into a demon XD And weird plagued creatures and masked balldancers (imitating Death & the plague) attack you in the dungeon.
+ In the end by the time your task is complete you faint, and then wake up in an insanity ward where you've been charged with murdering all the servants and being an arsonist for burning your house down.

Come to think of it, it's very LoZ-like. IMO I found legend of zelda quite disturbing too :-/
It's just those dungeons and creepy enemies. Oh and also after Ganondorf corrupted the sacred realm in OoT the plaza in front of the castle with the zombies was freaky o.o Okay this is getting off-topic, but that should give you some neat ideas on storyline.

heheheh......nice, you've been great help! Thank you. I will copy and paste this into a notepad doc for future reference! HEHEHeheheh! Nice!

#7 ador862

ador862

Spyre Games

• GMC Member
  • 340 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

LoL :P
Spark of innovation XD I particularly enjoyed Red Death and that ball thing from poe and the other stories, and after reading up on HP Lovecraft stuff, I realised how freaky and scary one could make an adventure game. In fact there was this lovecraftian commercial game made for the gamecube, where they had this insanity meter. Whenever something disturbing or a situation was experienced by the player, his meter goes down and effects occur, like babies crying and whispering scratching in the walls, weird illusions, and momentary loss of control of camera which sounds so psychedelic. You *could* add that, but since the status effects are so extreme, it may be hard to implement without ruining the subtlety for the game. Hope this gives you food for thought :)

If you do end up using that exact same story, hopefully a credit :P

#8 Mince

Mince

GMC Member

• 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:41 AM

if you P.Med me the narration (entire thing, or start with a quater) i could probably work out some kind of poem thingy.

it would take up to 2 months, dempending on the size of the poem and how easily stuff comes to me.

heres an extract from some of my stuff.

"the cops hurtle after this shell coated killer
but slip on the soap and slide hither and thither.
most of them slide into piles of sandals,
a few get up and shout at the vandal,

who by now is out of the marketplace gate
he must get away, he cannot wait!
he hijack's a car, satnav and all
but as he drives past the church the car starts to stall.

humptey jumps out of the wretched contraption,
and pulls out a pistol, ready for action.
the police arrive quickly, still covered in bubbles,
they know humptey's certainly looking for trouble.

humptey fires, one, two, three, four
half the cops suddenly drop to the floor.
humptey lines up another one in his sights
"it's time to choose boys, is it fight or flight?"

faced with the danger of this situation
the cops soon decided on self preservation..."

blah blah blah.

its from a warped version of humptey dumptey i did.
i could do it only rhyming every two lines, like

"the palm trees sway,
the beach is cold.
the darkness smothers
young and old.

the sand is black,
the moon is full
death will come
and blood will pool."

or something.
( i made that up on the spot.)

#9 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

See, I remember that Poe's genius was in his writing style. Tell-Tale Heart's narration was frantic, and the narrator also insane. The challenge would be to convey that frenzy into a game. You'd have to imitate the narration style in dialog and other such things.

A creative idea I can think of is having nifty little dark poems (Quatrain? A couplet maybe?) on the main menu, depending on what item is selected. For instance, if your cursor is above "Exit Game" you could have a little poem:

I see dear sir, you quit while ahead,
Won't see you tomorrow, for you'll be dead.

Or something like that.

#10 rabidmedia

rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

See, I remember that Poe's genius was in his writing style. Tell-Tale Heart's narration was frantic, and the narrator also insane. The challenge would be to convey that frenzy into a game. You'd have to imitate the narration style in dialog and other such things.

A creative idea I can think of is having nifty little dark poems (Quatrain? A couplet maybe?) on the main menu, depending on what item is selected. For instance, if your cursor is above "Exit Game" you could have a little poem:

I see dear sir, you quit while ahead,
Won't see you tomorrow, for you'll be dead.

Or something like that.

good Idea!

#11 WMCD

WMCD

Spritist

• GMC Member
  • 1418 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

If this is supposed to be based on Edgar Allen Poe's scary stories then I suggest you do not make it gory. I've read quite a few of his writings and they were more psycological (sp?) than violent.

Agreed. The typical Poe short story is fronted with psychological horror and mental anxiety, which then manifests into violent actions and events.

"Cause and Effect", if you will.

Edited by Old School Gaming, 16 June 2009 - 09:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users