16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:00 AM

Lately, I've been thinking of taking out the 2 player mode in my upcoming epic RPG for three reasons:

• The HUD would be hard to make. I would need to list Weapon, Armor, Inventory, Health, Magick, Stats, Name, etc. etc.
  • Two people playing on the same keyboard is a bit hard
  • I may try to find a Online programmer or learn it myself

My question is would anyone get any enjoyment of playing two player on the same keyboard and if so how would I go about making a HUD displaying general things like stats, magick, health, a questlog, etc.

also, would it be better to make the game online then to make it two player?

#2 Kunihiko

Kunihiko

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:47 AM

I think online is always a better option than 2 player (If you can make it work) for a few reasons.

Many people don't have anyone with in their vicinity that they can play, even if they have two player.
How often do you play two player when you have online mode?

I personally would not buy extra stuff to play two player, unless it was EXTREMELY fun.

#3 mekon

mekon

GMC Member

• 94 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

2 players on the same keyboard can work with fast-paced games like liero or something
but im not too sure about an RPG =\
as has been said, over the internet would be better, if you want to have multiplayer at all

#4 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

Well, how would classes such as Cleric and Bard work? They don't have the survivability to solo alone.

(By the way, this is more of a RPG like Zelda and Dark Cloud.)

#5 DarkSentinel

DarkSentinel

GMC Member

• 1965 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

You can't really have two players on one keyboard as most keyboard have trouble handling even 3 keys being pressed at the same time.

#6 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:00 AM

How do commercial games do it then? For multiplayer on PC games?

#7 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:12 AM

The HUD would be hard to make. I would need to list Weapon, Armor, Inventory, Health, Magick, Stats, Name, etc. etc.

Eh? You would have to do that for 1 player anyway, wouldn't ya?

Two people playing on the same keyboard is a bit hard

Depends on how many different controls there are, but I have always found shared keyboard games incredibly fun! :)

My question is would anyone get any enjoyment of playing two player on the same keyboard and if so how would I go about making a HUD displaying general things like stats, magick, health, a questlog, etc.

Of course people will enjoy playing a game together, (although a game pad support would be appreciated), and as for HUD, use your imagination, scope out a few other games, to see what they have done. ;)

~DD

Edit:

You can't really have two players on one keyboard as most keyboard have trouble handling even 3 keys being pressed at the same time.

Bah, humbug. There are key combinations that work fine on keyboards, just add an option for redefining the controls.

Edited by Desert Dog, 07 June 2009 - 02:14 AM.

#8 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:44 AM

before i used gamemaker i had a much simpler program, and my friends and i would always make two player hotseat (that's the term for 2 people per keyboard) games. It works fine, the controls just had to be a bit strange. We alsways used IJKL instead fo WASD respectively (sometimes we'd use PL:", but that got a bit confusing) for movement, and WASD for attack options. that's second player. First player would use Arrow keys and numpad.

How ever now when a lot of people have gamepads, hotseat is no problem. (Also whats with everyone talking about "make sure you have gamepad support"? Any game can be played via gamepad, if it doesnt have support built in, download Xpadder, -translates gamepad buttons to keyboard buttons, thats how i do it anyway, even if the game says it supports gamepads-)

#9 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

What's a gamepad? you mean joystick support?

#10 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:17 PM

No I belive a Joystick is a Joystick. A gaming pad/controller would be so much better for this in my opinion. Its like a video game controller hooked up to your PC.

#11 Bear1991

Bear1991

GMC Member

• 184 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

Whenever my brother and I play multi-player games on my laptop, I hook up a USB keyboard so that we have our own space. It's fine for us.

#12 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2437 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

I have two USB logitech game controllers, they look identical to PS2 controllers, and it makes some games on the keyboard a hole bunch funner, however I would not rely on the idea to expect the player to own a controller.

A really fun 2-player game me and Kunihiko play everyday, called Acceleration of Suguri, has it set to where you can only play 2 player with game pads or on net play, but if your just for the 1 player mode, you can use the keys. Great game by the way.

#13 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

So I should have 2 player?

Edited by Mr. RPG, 07 June 2009 - 07:14 PM.

#14 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2437 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:10 PM

2 Player net play, and 2 player Game Pad (usb game controller) support. But not 2 players behind 1 keybaord.

What I would do to solve the HUD thing, is just not draw anything for player 2 except health and magic.

#15 voltain

voltain

V.C.G

• GMC Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:52 PM

I don't think that 2 players on the same keyboard is very rpg-like especially with the whole HUD thing you have going on, so if it was me I would make it online. I find that 2 player splitscreen and drawing two HUDs makes games slower and degrades graphics. But thats just me. You should do what you think its best.

#16 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3060 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

It wouldn't be splitscreen.

Here's my current HUD
Posted Image

Now to see your ATK, DEF, SPD, and weapon and armor you would press and hold a button which will extend the HUD.

But where would the inventory for both players go?

here's everything that's in the game that needs to be in a HUD:

Player Name
Level
MP
HP
Strength
Armor
Intellect
Spirit
Luck
Speed
Weapon
Armor
Inventory
Game Name

#17 zachTaylor

zachTaylor

GMC Member

• 329 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:32 AM

I haven't read the topic.

But I love co-op and vs games like SSB where two people can play at the same time. My brother is my built in enemy/teammate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users