Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

velogo.pngVEditor 1.4

Introduction :
VEditor is an advanced, yet easy to use, Room Editor for Game Maker, it has more features than the default GM editor has, it's more responsive, flexible and will allow you to manage and create rooms/levels with simplicity.

Starting with version 1.0 it is possible to bundle VEditor alongside your game or project as a level/map editor, please read the help file for more information.

What it does :
Simple, it just builds a text file with lines of instance_create() and tile_add().
See for yourself, just open a *.map file (created with this app) in a text editor (eg. Notepad).

Fix for GM Studio :

Since GameMaker Studio has no execute_file() command, you can't read directly from the exported .map file, so instead copy the contents of the file to the clipboard, then paste it in an event like Create or Room Start. Do not worry, it won't slow down your game at all, since it's pure GML, it's actually tons faster than execute_file().

Use the Copy to Clipboard button in File>>Export.

20qzy2o.jpg

Bug Reporting :
If you find a bug or glitch make sure it's not user error, check to see that it's not already in the Bugs List below, then please report it afterwards, including, if possible the error log. This will help make VEditor better and more stable.
Precise description is highly appreciated.

- Please note that Windows 95/98 and ME are not supported by VEditor.
- If you would like to suggest a feature or improvement, you can do so with a comment bellow.

A Note on Layers :
Many users still request layers and layer handling for objects, but VEditor already has this feature ... it's called "Category". Other than the obvious use for a Category, grouping objects (eg: Houses, NPC, Actors, Trees etc.) it can also be used as Layers, just name accordingly or by preference (eg: Layer1, Layer2, Layer3 etc.).

Bugs List

Spoiler

v1.4 Changelog
Spoiler

Download v1.4 Executable
Google Drive (.7z)
Host-A (.zip)

Source Code

I have decided to release the source .gm81 to the community, but please note that you will need an advanced understanding of GML to use. Also, some extensions will be needed, but i have included them in the .zip for your convenience. I won't make any guarantees that the code is understandable, because frankly, although optimized, it's quite messy, nor will i be held responsible for any premature aging, loss of hair, or any divorce following the use or misuse of this code.

If you have any questions regarding any portion of the code or the project feel free to ask them in this Thread.

Hope you will find some tricks and techniques in this source, that you may be able to use in your own projects

Enjoy.

Used Extensions (Included in the zip)

Database System

kbzip

LPWin API

- MaxWinAPI 2

- GM Windows Dialogs (Included with GameMaker)

Download Source

v1.4 Source Code

Edited by Bleed, 14 December 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#2 RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan

GMC Member

• 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

Not bad but how do you import from the built-in editor? And how do you change the room size?

#3 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Not bad but how do you import from the built-in editor? And how do you change the room size?

You can change the room size via Room>>Edit Room.

Edited by Bleed, 30 July 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#4 Raidation

Raidation

Java Programmer

• 341 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

Looks good.

Downloading now.

#5 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:40 AM

I was actually looking for something exactly like this! When do you think the new version would be out?

#6 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

I was actually looking for something exactly like this! When do you think the new version would be out?

Soon, i'm working to fix a bug and tie some loose ends, but should be done by the end of this month.

#7 Lapps

Lapps

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 790 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hey, surly when GM8 comes out, with its resource saving, you would be able to import?

Also, rapidshare does not let me download, try mediafire

#8 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey, surly when GM8 comes out, with its resource saving, you would be able to import?

Possibly, just need to wait and see what the final version holds, so far all betas exports and imports are encrypted.

Also, rapidshare does not let me download, try mediafire

Sorry, can't please everyone. The reason i've uploaded to rapidShare is because i have a premium account there.

#9 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 19929 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:50 PM

Very nice... I would have found this SOOOOO useful when developing Gauntlet!! Itīs very easy to use, very well setup and has exactly the options necessary for creating maps quickly... My only complaint is that you canīt select a tile directly by clicking on it, which makes the thing a bit fiddly if you have loads of tiles to scroll through to get to the one you want.

Good job, and please re-do this for GM8, as I would definetly apreciate it...

#10 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

Very nice... I would have found this SOOOOO useful when developing Gauntlet!! Itīs very easy to use, very well setup and has exactly the options necessary for creating maps quickly... My only complaint is that you canīt select a tile directly by clicking on it, which makes the thing a bit fiddly if you have loads of tiles to scroll through to get to the one you want.

Good job, and please re-do this for GM8, as I would definetly apreciate it...

Yeah, that's a bug many users reported, it's been fixed, but i'm waiting for gm8 to release the next version
originally when the Tile tab was selected in "Picker" users could select tiles by clicking on them, but it's been reported that you can't select or delete tiles that are not depth exactly "1000000"

#11 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

Does someone happen to have a copy of this?

Btw, Host-A is a much better alternative. http://host-a.net/ I've been waiting all day to get this but rapidshare is giving me BS about its servers being full. There's no way the servers have been full all day, and it looks like I'm not the only one having this problem with this link. I hate to say it but, if you paid for rs, you've been ripped off. :/

Sorry, but could you please upload it somewhere else? I'd really like to try this. :D

#12 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

There ya go, wasn't aware of host-a-hosting, but if you say it better than rapidshare, then it must be.
Hope to hear your comments on the program

Edited by Bleed, 23 January 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#13 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

New Version 0.8 out now.

#14 Ace

Ace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

I guess you didn't get my PM. :)

It looks very functional for an RPG, especially the isometric grid (which is very nice). However, I really wish it could resize tiles on the fly. The image it displays should show you where you are in a tileset also.

I have a huge tileset and huge structures mixed with tiny 16x16 or even 8x64 structures and actually NEED to resize tiles on the fly. Since I can't actually click on a tile to select it like in GM's room editor, I at least need to know where the tile is since I have to use the buttons to move around on the huge tileset. Too bad they can't move down on the tileset too. ^_^

Sorry for not being able to give you many good comments. Since I'm not making an RPG game, and instead an action game with various differently sized props, I need more flexible features. I just kinda wish the tileset image was useful.

Edited by Ace, 23 January 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#15 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

I guess you didn't get my PM. :)

It looks very functional for an RPG. However, I really wish it could resize tiles on the fly. The image it displays should show you where you are in a tileset also.

I have a huge tileset and huge structures mixed with tiny 16x16 or even 8x64 structures and actually NEED to resize tiles on the fly. Since I can't actually click on a tile to select it like in GM's room editor, I at least need to know where the tile is since I have to use the buttons to move around on the huge tileset. Too bad they can't move down on the tileset too. ^_^

Sorry for not being able to give you many good comments. Since I'm not making an RPG game, and instead an action game with various differently sized props, I need more flexible features. I just kinda wish the tileset image was useful.

I did get your PM, but i have no idea what you mean with "resize tiles on the fly". You can use VEditor for any type of game, not only rpg's.
In my experience with graphics, its better to have lots of small tilesets, than a huge one, uses less memory this way and can manage it easier.

EDIT: Now i understand what you mean with "resize tiles on the fly", maybe you can split that huge tileset into smaller, more manageable parts?

Not a bad suggestion though, ill get right to programming that feature, in the meantime hold down the scroll button and will scroll faster, 1x,10x,100x, etc...

Edited by Bleed, 23 January 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#16 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

anyone got any comments?

#17 greenfalcon44

greenfalcon44

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

I am going to use this for my game as it will save me much time. Thank you very much.

Here are my suggestions:
I would like to see the x, and y coordinates when I'm placing an object.
I would also like the option of setting the x, and y axis 0,0 to the center of the room instead of the top left corner. This would be helpful in my infinite spacegame.
I would like to move the screen around with the mouse, at a much faster speed than the arrow keys do.
I would like an option to make the screen full screen or at least get my display width, and change the window to fit it?

Thank you very much!

Edited by greenfalcon44, 04 May 2010 - 10:42 PM.

#18 arikispencer

arikispencer

GMC Member

• 931 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:23 PM

ok i got it, i will have a good work at it later :)
if this is good i will be ever so happy

#19 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1884 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

This project appears to be perfect for what I need. I didn't want to code my own script to export tile settings from GM's IDE. I may or may not use it for objects, but for tiles it is perfect. The issue I was having is that I externally load my resources from archives using my kbzip extension, and I wanted to have an editor of sorts for tiles, but you can't easily do both using GM's editor. This VEditor thing allows me to load a background for testing purposes, and then I can put whatever string I want to call that resource, meaning it could be a global variable, or a variable of an object "obj.background1" or it could even be a simple internal background. That is what makes me be able to use this program. And it has zooming too, which is finally supposed to appear in GM in version 8.1, so you are ahead of the game there.

Thanks a lot!!! Too bad it doesn't have the high popularity it needs. I saw it suggested on a few posts when I looked for it by name, but it isn't near what it should be. Well, Thanks and Good luck.

#20 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

Selecting tiles from a tileset is weird. The windows keep jazzing out on me (hard to explain, but the main window will stand in the background when I select sub-menus). Interface is a bit clumsy.

I see good potential for it, though. Polish it up, think of the user, could see something good from this.

#21 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

I'm not sure i understand what you're trying to explain there, are you referring to the window depth? To select tiles all you have to do is press the arrows left or right to scroll through individual tiles in the tileset.
Maybe a screenshot will help you demonstrate better?

Selecting tiles from a tileset is weird. The windows keep jazzing out on me (hard to explain, but the main window will stand in the background when I select sub-menus). Interface is a bit clumsy.

I see good potential for it, though. Polish it up, think of the user, could see something good from this.

Edited by Bleed, 19 April 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#22 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

I'm not sure i understand what you're trying to explain there, are you referring to the window depth? To select tiles all you have to do is press the arrows left or right to scroll through individual tiles in the tileset.

Yep, if I have a tile set, I'd like to be able to just click-select, like in GM. The larger the tile-set, the more awkward it becomes to find the tile I'm looking for.

#23 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:40 PM

Already working on that issue as it was requested by many other users, so it will probably be included in the next release.
Thank you very much guys for the feedback.

Yep, if I have a tile set, I'd like to be able to just click-select, like in GM. The larger the tile-set, the more awkward it becomes to find the tile I'm looking for.

Edited by Bleed, 19 April 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#24 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

You should update for GM8.1

#25 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

Not gonna happen anytime soon, gm 8.1 added more issues and bugs than it fixed. Version 8.0 does the job very well, so ill be sticking with that.

You should update for GM8.1

Edited by Bleed, 21 April 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#26 slam drago

slam drago

The slam drag

• 422 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

You should add file encryption, so that hacker's can't hack games that use this type of file.
So instead of instance_create(xyz, x,y); it would be like 110011 (ascii representation of name) 1100 111000
Or something along those lines.
This would be a big pain to program but it would really help.
You would also have to write a GM extension so that people would have access to encrypt/decrypt functions.

#27 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 6409 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:05 PM

Just put it in the create event of a room.

#28 ChaosMaker

ChaosMaker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 289 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

its map editor has support for collision?
I'm not speaking of a collision with sprites, but only by collision vector points.
I personally think vector collision much faster than precise collision between sprites.

#29 Bleed

Bleed

Chevalier

• GMC Member
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:37 AM

Collision in a map editor... I'm sorry, but i fail to see what the point is.

its map editor has support for collision?
I'm not speaking of a collision with sprites, but only by collision vector points.
I personally think vector collision much faster than precise collision between sprites.

#30 solano

solano

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Ok not really going to use it but downloaded it to see what it is.
Like the interface but was too lazy to read the help so my first question how do you change sprite origin.

Anyways looks good and simple to use.

By the way I placed a few objects and clicked on content information and it gave me this error
Spoiler

But I ignored it and the window popped up. I then refreshed and it was ok.

Keep up the good work. I've been trying to come up with suggestions but none so far. I will edit/post if I come up with something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users