• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Time

Time

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

Posted Image

I just finished working on a tower defense that I've been spending some time on after managing to get Game Maker to work on the extremely old computers in my programming class. It's a fairly generic tower defense, containing 6 different towers, each with slightly different ways of attacking, and each with a maximum 5 upgrades. The towers are listed below:
  • Basic Tower: Starts with a mid-level attack range with an AOE shot and upgrades to higher range, shooting speed, damage, and AOE.
  • Ice Tower: Stops enemies that it shoots who come within its very small range. Upgrades to longer lengths of freeze.
  • Poison Tower: A tower that shoots poison darts that will poison enemies into being hurt for a period of time. Upgrades to longer poison time and a higher shooting speed.
  • Flame Tower: Blasts flames in a radius that will damage any enemy nearby. Good early on, but can be near useless later on. Upgrades to shorter times between explosions and more damage.
  • Epic Tower: An expensive tower that shoots quickly and with very damaging bullets. Does not upgrade.
  • *NEW* Darkness Tower: This tower spits out small enemy-seeking missiles that will continue to hunt down enemies for a period of time that can be increased through upgrades.

Posted Image

The enemies change color from green to red showing their health, and will wear different helmets and have different auras depending on their resistance (if they have any). the types of resistance include:
  • Freeze Resistance: Can not be targeted nor frozen by the ice tower.
  • Poison Resistance: Can not be poisoned.
  • Flame Resistance: Can not be hurt by flame tower.
  • Darkness Resistance: Can not be hurt by darkness towers.

Posted Image

Also, waves will occasionally come with enemies that have more health, but move much slower.

Screenshots [1][2][3]

Yoyogames Instant Play!
WillHostForFood (v1.0)
WillHostForFood (v1.1)
WillHostForFood (v1.2)

EDIT: I wasn't going to work on this game anymore, but I couldn't help it! Now with four different maps to play on. Select one on the menu, then hit play :)

Edited by Time, 02 June 2009 - 11:19 PM.

Nomsters (click one to visit my website, Time Game Maker Blog)

#2 Schyler

Schyler

Noskcirderf Derf

• GMC Member
  • 2680 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

Pretty good. Somewhat fun. = )

#3 coolist

coolist

The Coolist

• 913 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:34 PM

Looks nice, playing ATM.

#4 Time

Time

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

@Schyler: Glad you like it :D

@Coolist: Hope you enjoyed it :)

I just updated to version 1.2 (man, I didn't want to work on this anymore, but I just had to!) there are now four different maps to choose from on the main menu. Just click on one, then hit play to start it up!

#5 RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan

GMC Member

• 42 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:10 PM

Good Job.

One suggestion don't let the player select the tower if they don't have enough money. Currently you can select a tower no matter how much money you have but you cannot place it until you have enough money.

9.5/10

RedSoxFan
Vista x64 | Game Maker 7 & 8 Pro | Firefox ~ Chrome
Date & Time Utility - Link

#6 Time

Time

GMC Member

• 149 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:16 AM

@RedSoxFan: That's a good idea. Maybe I could make it so the symbol of the tower base on the screen is dimmed if they don't have the money (i.e. half transparent)? This would make it clear you don't have the money, but you could still position the mouse for when you do have the money.

#7 RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan

GMC Member

• 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Ok it's just confusing if you have the tower selected and you can't place it. It would make more sense to show the viewer they don't have enough money
Vista x64 | Game Maker 7 & 8 Pro | Firefox ~ Chrome
Date & Time Utility - Link