CoilFighter

This topic is to announce my new game, 'CoilFighter'

Yoyo instant play link: CoilFighter

Genre:
arcade-style vertical shooter
Made with: GM7
Resolution: 700x700
Fullscreen: optional, default is windowed
Filesize: 16.4 MB (most of which is music)
Overview: CoilFighter is a challenging abstract shooter in the tradition of games such as Raiden, Ikaruge, Xevious etc.
It focusses solely on boss battles, engaging the player in a series of large-scale fights against massive enemies.
Players must dodge their way through bullet hells, and adapt to the characteristics of each unique boss.
Features eleven massive boss fights, a choice of three player ships to alter the difficulty and
slick, polished visuals.

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All comments and constructive criticisms welcomed. Enjoy!

#2 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Very nice game. Lost twice to the third boss, Morningstar I think? Very fun, difficulty is just right to keep you hooked. The only problem I saw so far was sometimes when you die the music would carry into the menu instead of switching back to the menu music. I don't know if that's what you intended, but either way it's not really a big deal. Also, the music for the second level seemed to just stop at one point, but I couldn't tell if it was just silent at that part of the song or not because I beat the boss a few seconds later. Again, nice game.

Wraxul Gaming Site
If I've given you feedback on your game, please give one of mine a try and return the favor! Thanks in advance!

#3 scoz

scoz

GMC Member

• 464 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:44 AM

Very nice indeed. I was itching for a good Bullet Hell shmup to sink my teeth into, this came at precicely the right time. I'm bogged down with homework atm, so I can't fully go over my opinions, but a question, how many levels are there? I got up to crab fortress.
EGE: Yoyo | GMC | Roket | Game Jolt

#4 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

Well, after crab fortress there's the serpent and the beam guy, so it makes sense that there's at least one more than that.

Anyways awesome game :) Music switches volume too much, tho, and the "tank" go should probably be even slower. As it is, the speed loss is HELPFUL until you get to Beam trap, as it's harder to run into bullets. That, or have shift = slowdown for the faster ones, like in touhou games.

Edit: Nvm, here's your answer scoz. "Dodge bullet hells and wreak havoc on eleven unique bosses in this intense abstract SHMUP."

Edit: Whoo! got to cyclone! That boss is so fun!

Edited by greep, 23 May 2009 - 06:02 AM.

GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#5 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for playing and thankyou for your comments.

RCCarThief: thanks for your comments, I've not noticed the thing with the music carrying over, but i'll look into it for sure. Its not really a big deal, as you say, but i think it will make the whole thing seem a bit smoother if i can fix that.
You're right about the second level's music - i hadn't noticed, but it just completely cuts off, then restarts again after a gap of about 30 seconds or so. I'll also look into fixing that.

Scoz: I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'd be interested to hear what you have to say, so feel free to comment more fully when you have time.
And, as Greep pointed out, there are indeed eleven levels.

Greep: Nice point about the music volumes, it had escaped my attention. I was so relieved to find music i liked for the game that it didn't cross my mind! I will also fix this soon.
I know what you're saying about the speed of the 'tank' ship. the problem with making it slower is that it would cause difficulties in the later bosses, as the bullets come much more thick and fast. I'd be interested to hear, if you complete the game with that ship, whether you still think it would be a benefit for it to move more slowly. At the moment, there's a bit of a question mark over this.
Cyclone is a pretty cool enemy, which took me ages to put together! So i'm glad you liked it.

One other bug i've notice myself is that if you go into the Credits from the menu, and then back to the menu again, the main CoilFighter title doesn't come back, so this is another fix for the next version.

Thanks, its good to hear from people. i hope you keep playing and enjoying the game!

#6 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Well I don't think I'm ever going to beat it, but I can say so far it is still easier with tank :/

Beat cyclone, raynet (seems a bit too easy actually, died once on first try), but the next one just seems too difficult to even try :/

Edit: btw, I figured out how to make the faster guys better. Make their ships smaller. It makes sense even with their smaller firepower. When I can get to level 9 on tank, but can barely beat 4 on regular, tank is obviously the current noob ship.

Edited by greep, 24 May 2009 - 01:25 PM.

Spoiler

#7 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hello everyone, thanks again for your helpful comments.

I've uploaded a newer version of the game with several bug fixes/changes:

- credits menu bug fixed
- fixed the problem with music carrying over to the menu when you die or quit (thanks RCCarThief)
- fixed the background music 'oroboros' (first plays on level two), so that it doesn't cut off and there is no gap of silence before it re-starts (thanks again RCCarThief)
- changed the volume levels of background music so that they are all at a more similar level (thankyou Greep)
- changed the size of each ship to further affect the level of difficulty/difference in playing styles. It was pointed out the 'tank option (FateCoil) was by far the easiest of the three. Fatecoil is now larger, and to balance this FearCoil is a much smaller ship. (Thanks to Greep again)

Keep the comments coming!

#8 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Very nice SHMUP! It definitely reminded me of the classics, like Warning Forever (especially with the bullet patterns for when the boss is almost dead). The coil-themed graphics were a nice touch, although the first two bosses seemed very static. I liked how the morningstar spinned and such, but the first two bosses just seem to move around. Perhaps they could rotate slightly when moving, in order to give a more realistic, organic appearance?

I also like the different ships that suit different playing styles. However, their weapons were, essentially, the same, though they had different powers and volume of shots. Maybe there could be another ship, that focuses on precision, and that fires a low amount of high-powered, missile-like weapons.

Nice game!

~ Theta Games

#9 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

I enjoyed it, i got halfway through the 5th boss on my second try, then got to the 4th boss on my third try without dying, then lost all of my lives and got annoyed so i quit. I personaly think the player ship is too big. especialy since in most SHMUPS, the players hit box is actually a tiny dotin the center of the ship, as opposed to a big clunky ball. There are times when you get locked in and cant escape becasu your ship is too big, the 4th boss being a big example of this. Also on the 4th boss again, there wasnt enough time for me to respawn in a safe location and so i had lost 2 lives per one attack.

to be fair i was playing the slow but powerful ship. but i didnt fare much better with the regular ship.

Anyway, you had nice effects and i liked the gameplay alot, i can tell some realy effort was put into it.

Graphics 8.5/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Music 8/10
Replayability 6/10
Overall 8/10
There is nothing wrong with being arrogant as long as it's true.

hello i make tyops becasue im lazy and i hate you anyways.

#10 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:45 AM

Blah, looks like the autoupdater still isn't working >.<

Edited by greep, 01 June 2009 - 02:46 AM.

Spoiler

#11 Troy Martin

Troy Martin

Surreal Earth Studios

• 91 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

:whistle: Doesn't work on my Vista box... "Coilfighter has stopped working." when I launch it.
Project Mindcrime Development milliBlog

Now I know you won't refuse
Because we've got so much to do
And you've got nothing more to lose
So take this number
And welcome
To Operation: Mindcrime

#12 Chickenfeed

Chickenfeed

GMC Member

• 154 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for your comments.

Thetagames: Warning Forever was a definite influence, though of course this is nowhere near at the same level of quality! I liked your point about that 'static'-ness of the bosses. I've played about a bit with rotation using the sprites, the problem being that because the lines are all one pixel wide, rotating the sprites makes them 'fuzzy' and indistinct, which isnt a problem on some of the bosses as they move too fast or it just doesn't notice. However, rotating the entire boss sprite looks, at the moment, very shoddy. I like this idea, but i need to find a way to make it work.

Also, its a very valid point about the player's weapons. I think it would improve things if they were more different, and i want each weapon to have a different 'strength' rather than simply changing the volume of shots. This is a fairly major change to the game, however, so i haven't done it yet.

Syth184: I appreciate what you're saying about the collisions, and i know it is a fairly unusual approach. However, the design of the game is geared towards the collisions working this way - if it were to change to a much smaller mask now, i feel the game would become an awful lot easier. It was designed to, hopefully, be very challenging and also be experiential. The getting trapped does happen i know, especially with the heavy ship, most often when in corners or near the edge of the screen. It was my intention that this would be sort of part of the game play - in as much as it requires fast reactions and forward-planning from the player.
I am bearing this in mind, for sure, but will leave it as is for the time being.

Greep: not sure what you're saying there? I think this was just after i re-uploaded to the site. Was it because it hadn't yet become available as instant play?

Troy Martin: I don't have Vista myself, but i was under the impression GM7 files were Vista compatible. If not, does anyone out there know if i can do anything to make this compatible for Vista? Or has anyone else had this problem?

One other thing which has been highlighted to me is someone had a problem where the game would crash after getting game over. I've played and replayed the game, but haven't experienced this. So if anyon does have this happen, it'd be cool if you'd let me know exactly what went wrong because im struggling to find this problem.

Thanks again for your comments, and happy gaming.

#13 reigalius

reigalius

Generally Awesome

• 1170 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

I like it. A little too easy, even on Fear Coil. I died a few times though because I'm so used to graze points lol and you don't have them. Been playing too much Touhou I guess...

EDIT: And it's a little annoying to have to follow the enemy all over the screen left and right to even be able to hit him. Better to just concentrate on avoiding fire. Again, I guess I'm just too used to a certain type of bullet hell. Whatever... And I noticed collisions are a little off. On boss 2's double shot yellow bullets, I get blown up even though I'm not hit. You are using image_angle which doesn't move the collision box.

EDIT2: I completely agree with syth on the collisions. It's fairly important.

Edited by reigalius, 10 June 2009 - 09:41 PM.