#101 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:29 PM

IT'S UPDATE TIME, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

This is my 1000th post on the GMC and the 100th reply to this topic!

With it, I bring you an excellent update for Dubloon. There are too many new features to list, but rest assured that there is plenty of new stuff and more playtime to enjoy. This is the FINAL demo: the next time I release an update, it will be the finished game. So play, enjoy, and please tell me your thoughts!

Your old save files will still work, so if you played before and still have one you can pick up where you left off. They're named "Dubloon_Save1.sav," "Dubloon_sav2.sav," etc

Edited by banov, 26 February 2010 - 11:49 PM.

#102 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:10 AM

IT'S UPDATE TIME, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

This is my 1000th post on the GMC and the 100th reply to this topic!

With it, I bring you an excellent update for Dubloon. There are too many new features to list, but rest assured that there is plenty of new stuff and more playtime to enjoy. This is the FINAL demo: the next time I release an update, it will be the finished game. So play, enjoy, and please tell me your thoughts!

Your old save files will still work, so if you played before and still have one you can pick up where you left off. They're named "Dubloon_Save1.sav," "Dubloon_sav2.sav," etc

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

DLing right now. I'm excited. :]

#103 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:09 AM

It's incredible. I just did a speed run to try to get through everything as fast as I can, and it was still 3 hours of fun and engaging fun (No, that was NOT a typo). Incredibly good job man.

Also, I gotta love all the secret content I've been finding, it's really fun doing and finding them ^_^

Edited by brod, 27 February 2010 - 01:12 AM.

#104 broken shadow

broken shadow

GMC Member

• 205 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

I just got into the Cave beyond the first town, and I'm having a ridiculous amount of fun with this.

GLITCH FOUND: If you try to talk to the Bald Pirate in the room where you learn how to use Shake Bombs, you get an error. Apparently you accidentally wrote imae_index instead of image_index, or something like that.

Amazing so far, though.

#105 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:46 AM

omg omg everything banov touches is awesome

#106 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

omg omg everything banov touches is awesome

Everything banov touches turns to gold!
Playing now!
Posted ImageLinx~

#107 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

Heh. :( Glad to see you guys are enjoying it so far. I've just uploaded some bigfixes, including the one mentioned above. There was also another bug that made the game crash in a certain area of the cave, making the game unbeatable~! Luckily it's gone now. Thanks for the comments, please keep playing, enjoying and commenting!

#108 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:42 AM

Every single time i try to go into here, the screen goes black (Except for the UI) and the game freezes up. I seem to be able to go anywhere else, but i need to go into there to progress :S.
Posted Image
Posted ImageLinx~

#109 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

See the above post, linx. I've uploaded a fix for that :} Please redownload!

Edited by banov, 28 February 2010 - 02:42 AM.

#110 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:47 AM

See the above post, linx. I've uploaded a fix for that :} Please redownload!

Whoops, sorry for not paying attention. Redownloading now :(!
Posted ImageLinx~

#111 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:26 AM

Glad to see the game is almost finished, I followed since the beginning and the game has made a TON of progress! After you finish this and Cowboykilla are you planning on making another full-scale game?

#112 nodata10101

nodata10101

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:31 AM

Easily one of the most enjoyable RPG games I've played in a long time, and that's saying something. The feeling it gives me brings me back to the old Super Nintendo days. Simple, yet genius game mechanics, vibrant graphics, nice music and SFX, this has it all! :(

#113 mcgames000

mcgames000

GMC Member

• 79 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:42 AM

Hey banov not sure if you saw my last post just cause I had posted far after the last demo came out but I mentioned a glitch. This glitch applies to while on the overworld. By pressing escape to go to the pause menu and then pressing it again you can freeze enemies in their tracks. Enemies will completely stop moving but continue their animation. This glitch doesn't always work on all enemies. Some times some will freeze while others don't. Repeating this multiple times can unfreeze enemies. - M.C.games

EDIT: Enemy image indexs also can change when preforming this glitch and I'vew decided to call it 'Flash Freezing' just cause I double tap escape when I do it. Note: speed of tapping escape doesn't yield different effects.

Edited by mcgames000, 28 February 2010 - 04:52 AM.

#114 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Another nice update! Really enjoyed it.

For the special items, wouldn't it be better if, instead of clicking and dragging, you clicked once to select the item and then clicked another time to use the item?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#115 White Mist Games

White Mist Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:03 PM

Words cannot describe how good this game is. It is one of the best RPG games I've seen in a very long time. I played Final Fantasy IV Advance afterwards for comparison, and I actually found Dubloon more interesting. They are definately two different styles of RPG, but your game is a bit more enjoyable.

I haven't commented on this game in a while, but rest assured I've been playing it (or at least watching mcgames00 play it, which is almost as good). The RPG system is very well made, and the stats all work as intended. The leveling and experience systems don't require too much attention, and the equipment system is satisfactory and well-balanced - I like how you can only equip one item to a character, as it requires more strategy than simply choosing the "Best Equipment" option on a menu. The items also work as intended, and I believe you fixed the bug where the AP Capsule didn't work, probably something to do with changing the name.

The enemies are decidedly bizzare, though nicely designed. Fighting palm trees and bushes gets kind of weird (are pirates just that infamous that even Mother Nature wants them dead?), but the bosses are great and offer a considerable challenge. At one point, the difficulty really ramps up, almost too fast, after your previous demo ended and you went to the Mysterious X. The bosses after that point seemed just a tinge too difficult. I can understand it for the 4-On-One Quartet battle, which looks nearly impossible. Perhaps I'm just whining. I'm glad this game offers a challenge.

On the presentation side, I found the graphics particularly pleasing. The sailing levels offer that nice day and night system, and the enemy designs are spectacular, particularly in their animations. They are just complex enough to convey a good amount of detail, and just simple enough to get their point across in a short glance. The fog effects on the Graveyard level were a great touch. I also love Prophecy's new music for this update, especially the ones for the Treasure Tower and for the Pirate Graveyard. Amazing. The sounds still fit, too.

Overall, I can't wait to see this finished. Don't give up on this final push to the end of the project - though, of course, you have CowboyKilla, so I guess that comes first. Still, though, I love this game much like your other games, and am wishing you the best of luck.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention a few different bugs. One of them was in the Treasure Tower, where the Golden Key was still there above the hole, even after it had been picked up. Captain FC's treasure chest was open before the boss himself was beaten, so the FC Skate Boots were impossible to get. Nice job on the puzzles in the Treasure Tower, too - the Spyglass was nicely done and the puzzles themselves were a nice break from the Altan Shrine ones, which felt overly simplistic.

Edited by White Mist Games, 02 March 2010 - 04:15 PM.

Dash, a Unique Linear/Exploration Hybrid Platformer
Links to Dash: Yoyogames GMC

Made for the Indie Game Challenge

Last Update: v1.0 October 28, 2009

#116 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

At one point, the difficulty really ramps up, almost too fast, after your previous demo ended and you went to the Mysterious X. The bosses after that point seemed just a tinge too difficult. I can understand it for the 4-On-One Quartet battle, which looks nearly impossible. Perhaps I'm just whining. I'm glad this game offers a challenge.

I thought this was the case at first. I lost once against Bradley at the X. Then I went and leveled up, came back, and beat him. The other bosses didn't seem too hard, either, although I think I found myself getting by by a hair on my first try on multiple occasions. In short, I think this game is a bit too easy; the only times I remember getting a game over are in the battles against Bradley and against the Vikings. I'd rather have the game be a little too easy than way too hard, though - personally, having to grind for a long time to train your characters takes a lot of fun out of an RPG.

One question; after a certain point my characters stopped gaining experience. Is this a bug, or did you set an upper limit on experience? If it is a limit, will it be removed later? Because of this problem I went and beat the fourth quartet guy but didn't save, just in case it turns out that I will be able to gain experience from him.

Edited by lasttea999, 01 March 2010 - 10:56 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#117 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

I don't normally like to reply to my topics unless they're on the second page, but you guys have been sending me a lot of questions...

After you finish this and Cowboykilla are you planning on making another full-scale game?

Dubloon might be my last big project for a long time, actually. We'll see--no promises!

Hey banov not sure if you saw my last post just cause I had posted far after the last demo came out but I mentioned a glitch. This glitch applies to while on the overworld. By pressing escape to go to the pause menu and then pressing it again you can freeze enemies in their tracks.

My apologies! I have now corrected that error on my home version. I may or may not update the game with this fix before I finish it, as it's relatively minor.

For the special items, wouldn't it be better if, instead of clicking and dragging, you clicked once to select the item and then clicked another time to use the item?

I really like the dragging and dropping... it feels very natural/tactile, to me at least. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Fighting palm trees and bushes gets kind of weird (are pirates just that infamous that even Mother Nature wants them dead?)

I think of them more as monsters that look a lot like palm trees and bushes, as a natural camouflage or something. Really they're just silly baddies that I thought would be fun to include. I drew heavy inspiration from the Mother series when I came up with those.

Is this a bug, or did you set an upper limit on experience? If it is a limit, will it be removed later?

YES, there is a max experience level. I set this because I didn't want players to spend a lot of time leveling up before they played the final dungeon. Nobody can go above level 38--at level 40, they'll all learn their final spells. In the final release the max level will be 100. Good luck getting that high ;p

---

Thanks for all the comments, I'm really loving them! You guys are the best... I really look forward to the day when I can give you a finished RPG.

#118 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

I don't normally like to reply to my topics unless they're on the second page, but you guys have been sending me a lot of questions...

Thanks for replying, then! I guess I'll try not to form questions out of my comments...?

YES, there is a max experience level. I set this because I didn't want players to spend a lot of time leveling up before they played the final dungeon. Nobody can go above level 38--at level 40, they'll all learn their final spells. In the final release the max level will be 100. Good luck getting that high ;p

Very nice, but I hope extra experience is stored in some hidden variable, because if by chance you beat enemies after you max out, and then save... BOOM! experience gone. Although, I think this problem might sorta get phased out as you level up anyway.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#119 nodata10101

nodata10101

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

I really like the dragging and dropping... it feels very natural/tactile, to me at least. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Actually, I have mixed feelings about this. The dragging and dropping is a nice system and lends well to the tactical feeling. At the same time however, it can get a little tiring after a while. I think the best solution would be to add an option to toggle between drag-and-drop and the alternative method.

#120 runbeanyrun

runbeanyrun

GMC Member

• 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:01 AM

First of all, I love the game so far. Can't wait to see the final release.

However, I noticed something with the game speed. I know that rooms can go a little slow when there's lots of stuff going on, but when I move my character under the HUD and the HUD dissappears, the FPS goes back to the way its supposed to be: fast. Maybe you could make a fix to the drawing of your HUD, or whatever your doing to put it on the screen, to make the FPS not go down.

Also, for me, I used the mouse for all my movement. At some points in the game, you cant move any farther unless you use the arrow keys, It's not a big deal, but it makes the game feel more complete.

Besides this, I cant wait for the final release. Loved your inspiration from Mother. Also thought it was cool that you reused your wolf sprites from Wolf. And the little Zelda Shield caught my attention after a while.

#121 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:18 AM

This is an awsome game personally i dont like rpgs but this is an exception
i like crono trigger up until i decided to fight magus and saved it after beating him
when i realized what id done i never played since but even though
that games graphics were better i enjoyed this more

but if you use the fetch parrot to much it messes up the game
story 7/10
gameplay 9/10
graphics 6/10
music 7/10

this changes my opinion of what an rpg can be
the best thing that makes this game different

is the short battles i hate battles taking forever
but this game amends that

Making games is hard, but satisfying.

#122 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

The game is purely awesome and perfect.
Keeps you interested forever.

I haven't beaten the game yet.
That mermaid lady is really tough. :D
Any tips for beating her?

Usually I start out by giving her a cannon blast (about 10 bombs). And I try to give the pirates a bunch of chicken bones to heal most of their health when the mermaid has hurt them. But no luck so far :(

Spoilers!!! TURN BACK NOW!!!

I beat the mermaid lady!
That ghost of 'lil vypa, told me something about finding truth in a cell. So I went to the island where I had defeated him, then I went down to the bottom of the map where the jail cells are, but I couldn't figure out how to get in the cells or anything. (I could see some writings on the walls of the cells)
Any tips?

Edit: Also, is peanut (the monkey on the crew) the guy that had massive magical powers and was turned into an animal?

Edited by orange08, 02 May 2010 - 12:52 AM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#123 Fragment

Fragment

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 326 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

This game was awesome, played it from end to finish without stopping. I love the battle system and the way you develop your characters is really cool. I especially liked the shake bombs and the boss fights :D. One bug i noticed was when you leveled up it said +4 mp instead of +4 ap... but overall a really good game worth trying.

bannergmmentors5.png

#124 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Hey guys!

Dubloon is super close to completion, and now I'm seeking some beta testers! I'm rushing to get the game to beta by June 4, at which point I leave on vacation for about 10 days. While I'm gone, I plan to release the game to a small crowd of people for beta testing. What I'm looking for now are people who'd be interested. You'll get to be among the first to see how the game ends, etc--but you also have the responsibility of reporting all bugs to me. Once I get back, I'll fix up everything and aim for an official release on June 15.

So--any takers? You can leave a reply here or send me a PM.

Takers:
yalmic, linx137520
(This list is basically just for me, to keep track of the GMC testers.)

Edited by banov, 02 June 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#125 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

:blink: :) :)
Oh Pick Me!!!
Pick Me!!!

#126 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

yeh i liked this weeks ago and plan to like it again some more..
good job.

#127 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys!

Dubloon is super close to completion, and now I'm seeking some beta testers! I'm rushing to get the game to beta by June 4, at which point I leave on vacation for about 10 days. While I'm gone, I plan to release the game to a small crowd of people for beta testing. What I'm looking for now are people who'd be interested. You'll get to be among the first to see how the game ends, etc--but you also have the responsibility of reporting all bugs to me. Once I get back, I'll fix up everything and aim for an official release on June 15.

Takers:
yalmic, linx137520

I'll beta test. ^^; Do we send bug reports by PMs?

#128 yalmic

yalmic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey guys!

Takers:
yalmic, linx137520

I'll beta test. ^^; Do we send bug reports by PMs?

Oh if were suppost to send bug reports I didn't know.
I though we were suppost to list the bugs with error messages and find glitches.
Are we supposed to pm you every time we find something?

#129 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

:lol: :P ^_^
Oh Pick Me!!!
Pick Me!!!

lol same here