129 replies to this topic

#51 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

this was way too much fun. My kitchen ended up getting set on fire and I accidentally left the faucet on, flooding my basement. Oh well, INSANE update, finding all the side quests was so cool (I'm pretty sure I got them all, but don't wanna spoil the fun. Can I PM you?)

Keep it up, this is becoming a masterpiece.

#52 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:28 AM

Yep, that was pretty awesome i didnt go looking for side quests :D! I liked the little mini game, and some the battle items were great :). Only thing i dont like is only being able to equip 1 thing. For example, you cant have a sword and armor at the same time.
Posted ImageLinx~

#53 mcgames000

mcgames000

GMC Member

• 79 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:33 AM

Great work Banov I can't wait until the game is finished. The town and cave did run a bit slower then the other maps but it's probably because my computer isn't that good. BTW it may be possible to skip the Cave Boss though I didn't test it out but I was able to dig up the herb and pick it up before triggering the boss so I'm assuming that it's possible to skip the boss. I'll post again when I check to see if this is true. Speed run time!

EDIT: Well I just speed ran it and I couldn't make it back to the Boss because the key you have to dig up didn't appear. (Not the first one the second one)

Edited by mcgames000, 10 July 2009 - 04:02 AM.

#54 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3196 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:50 AM

Not bad at all I lked it...got stuck(not literaly) trying to find "two barrels" tho,lol but to be honest i didnt try too hard but good game so far keep up the good work.
you dont see many rpg's getting finished on the gmc, well i havent but i hope this one makes it to its final version.

Good Luck!

Edited by Jakyl11, 10 July 2009 - 04:51 AM.

#55 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

I really need to post something here, this game is going great!
I usually find these RPG's kind of boring, but the way you added action controls to the battles (like the mouse actions to stop attacks, or the shake bomb) really made a twist with fun there. The game is so great I played untill the end.

Sounds are amazing and fit the atmosphere, gameplay is nice and not annoying ( you managed to do the speed thing not really that boring) and the graphics are kind of ok. The graphics have your natural talent, but I think they could be worked on, specially on sprites and the cave and grass background (the cave looks like pokemon, and grass has pillow shading...) If you want help with that you can talk with me.

I found a bug with the save sistem, when I wanted to load, appeared an error reading real. There was a bug too, when a hookhead got stuck on a wall.
What are the side quests people are talking about? I think I only found one.
One more thing, I found the controls of the last minigame a bit annoying and hard to manage.
Besides that, congratulations, this my favorite game of yours! Please finish this.

#56 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@linx:
I don't actually "get" the need for lots of items equipped at the same time. The way I see it, equipped items are a way to personalize your character's stats-- maybe you want one to be particularly good at attack, or defense, so you'll give them the corresponding item. But when you have a lot of items, it just becomes about replacing old items with new ones as you find better ones, and the stat boosts don't feel very focused; the goal becomes just to increase all stats as much as possible. The enemies are designed so that you'd only need light equipment, and it also lets you conserve space in your inventory for more important/useful items, so I honestly don't see the need for it.

@brod:
Um, I'm kind of worried about you! Will you be okay? Ask your doctor if Dubloon is right for you. Heavy dosages could lead to dire effects.
...But feel free to PM about sidequests. I might have to put together a walkthrough/checklist at some point.

@mcgames000:
I think the tiles may have something to do with lag, but I'm unsure if there's a method to deactivate them like you can do with instances. If anyone knows a method for this, that would be most excellent.
I'm surprised-- your boss skipping method works! I'll have to find a way to prevent it later, nice catch there. The glitch with the key doesn't make much sense to me. Are you SURE it wasn't there? I've played through the dungeon tons of times and it never happened, and I don't know how it would.

@Jakyll:
Thanks for the positive comment, good luck with the 2 barrels. They're probably closer than you think.

@Zccc:
@bugs: The hookhead probably has to do with instance deactivation, I can try and look into that and make it work better. The loading glitch probably has to do with regional stuff, are you using a European computer? I forgot to add in a fix for those, as I know in Europe they use the comma in the place of a decimal point for storing numbers.
@art: I know my art isn't the best ever, but it's about as good as I can do. If you're interested in helping out, PM me some samples and maybe we can work something out?
Sorry you didn't like the ship controls, maybe they'll grow on you. It's the best I could come up with for a totally mouse-based scheme, and I'm actually really happy with it. The "sidequests" include an extra boss, buried treasure, and item search, among other miscellaneous hidden items. Talk to the townspeople and explore extra areas.

#57 Koron XYZ

Koron XYZ

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1470 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

I played through the whole demo. Nice job, and I wish there was more to it. The options you have in the game all boil down to a couple of choices which I was fairly disappointed about, yet the effective graphics and game play made up for the tiny flaws within. The thing that bothered me most was your partner following you around. She sort of lags behind. I don't know if you can fix that, though. Not a biggie. Anyway, nice job, and keep up the good work.

#58 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:27 PM

Well, I had a tought and worry about the art. Besides some flaws, it's your natural and only that could fit with this game. Keep working so good!

And for the sidequest, I got them when I first played, but now I know they were "sidequests".

Does the minigame appears every time you ship travel from a place to another? Or just the first time? And what's the new hero going to be like? A girl?

Edited by Zccc, 11 July 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#59 Liveandlearn

Liveandlearn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

Excellent! I still haven't beaten the mole because he's pretty difficult to me, but I WILL BEAT HIM! Do you think you could make Prophecy do another boss battle theme? The current one couldn't really fit with any battle, other than an "unwinnable" battle. I love the other themes!

Edited by Liveandlearn, 13 July 2009 - 07:17 PM.

If you've played any of my games, send me a link to one of yours and I'll try your games out, too!

#60 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:54 AM

@Koron XYZ:
What do you mean by, "boils down to a couple options"? It's not clear what you're referring to there. As a rule of thumb, though, you could "boil down" any game to a limited set of "options" if you were so inclined. I'm not sure how to take that criticism. And I'm also not clear on what you mean by the second character "lagging behind," was she very far away from the main PC? Other than that, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

@Zccc:
Yeah, the ship minigame appears each time you travel from island to island, but if you're going to a place you've already visited you'll have the option of skipping the journey. As for the next character, well... I put a sneak peek at the end of this post.

@Liveandlearn:
Awesome! Prophecy isn't very reliable for giving me new music these days, so that probably wouldn't happen, but I didn't think that was even necessary--I really like the boss battle music! Maybe it'll grow on you?

----

So, my plan for now is to take a little break on this game and focus on learning the iPhone SDK, because I'd like to try developing for the iPhone but haven't been spending much time learning how. In the meantime, though, I wouldn't mind sharing a little peek at what's in store. The next section in Dubloon features a new protagonist...
Posted Image
Default names: Riley, Brendan, Jerry, Jim, Charlie, LeChuck, Jeff

And he's joined by a rather unique partner...
Posted Image
Default names: Ricky, Nick, Peanut, Simon, Andrew, Kaiser, Poo

Edited by banov, 15 July 2009 - 09:11 PM.

#61 scattle

scattle

GMC Member

• 32 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

I really like the look of the first one, Riley

I hope you make something rad with the iPhone SDK!

Edited by scattle, 15 July 2009 - 09:14 PM.

#62 Liveandlearn

Liveandlearn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Well it's a pretty good boss battle theme when the drums come in, but the fact that it keeps stopping, then fading in again, and then stopping, then fading in again... It's more of an event theme, you know?

If you've played any of my games, send me a link to one of yours and I'll try your games out, too!

#63 Mack151

Mack151

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Played it through to the end, and I love what I've seen so far! Great work, as always!

May I make a minor suggestion? The crack in the wall near the cave entrance looked a bit too obvious to me. Maybe you could make it blend in a bit more?

You opened the mailbox.
Nothing was in it.
Nothing after nothing came bursting out of the mailbox.

#64 numbers

numbers

GMC Member

• 460 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

As always, great game banov. Looks extremely promising. The graphics were simplistic in a nice way, and fit together well. Battling was flawless (seeing as animations are next to impossible there if I understand correctly), and the originality of each boss was a welcome surprise. The main characters were very fleshed out, and their personalities shone even in the relatively little dialogue that took place. Each seemed clear and distinct (all two of them!) which I liked. If there was one thing I had to point out, it was that the ship sailing game at the end was rather tedious. It was entertaining at first, but extremely slow paced considering the amount of time you have to shoot those things. Maybe a mouse oriented system and monsters that move/pop in and out of the water around you would be more appropriate. Just my two cents.

I can't wait to see what this project develops into. My only complaint is that there isn't more to play!

#65 Igloo

Igloo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Excellent work. This is the best GM game I've played in a while. 10/10.

#66 sub

sub

EVIL GENIUS

• GMC Member
  • 1905 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

great game. :lol: well worth the wait downloading (i'm on dialup)

* good world coming along

* general menu clicking issues (eg: clicking the item menu a 2nd time ought to de-select it, etc)

* good enemy attacks etc

depending on how much you wantto throw in..could do just about anything with this game.. i liked how the ship travelling wasdone.. but the movement method should be rewritten.. a large free-roaming ocean map would be great..

well.. if it's a pirate game.. i'd love to see the ability to plunder cargo/navy ships and even incorporate cargo/trading into the game.. it'd also be great ifyou could hire NPC crewmen for a ship, and have battles against navy ships when u attempt to board them.

deserted island maps and other island maps would be nice.. you could easily make a minigame RTS from an island of tribespeople vs either navy/enemy tribe/monsters?

the equipment is decent. (only having 1 item per character) ..reminds me of the final fantasy games..

great work!
how free-roaming do u want to make it?
the lack of items/equipment hinders on that, because it limits how the player can develop the character, leaving only 'storyline' to pursue - but you could easily sway that by having lots of interactive mingame type features (such as the ship sailing to simulate ocean travel)

attacking merchant vessels, navy ships and ghost ships would be a fun thing to do inbetween quests, etc.. :)

#67 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for the supportive comments, everybody! I've been watching closely and reading these last couple months, and I come to you today with a new update. The game's even bigger and better! Your old save file will still work, so you can pick up right where you left off if you've played before. If you can't find it, the filenames are "Dubloon_Save1", "Dubloon_Save2" or "Dubloon_Save3" (do a file search?)

I'm looking forward to new feedback on the game... I've hit ruts designing it several times, and I'm hoping some fresh comments will help rekindle my fire for the game.

#68 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

This... game... is... AWESOME!!!

Best Game Maker-made RPG I've seen... Not that I've seen too many. Also, I haven't gotten to the end of the demo yet, but still. Assassin Blue was pretty good, but this one kicks even more butt!

By the way, I found a way to hike up a character's speed (temporarily) to ridiculous levels... Is the player supposed to be able to do that? Also, is there a maximum for each stat?

As for design ruts, there's so much you could do with this game! Keep up the good work!

Edited by lasttea999, 15 September 2009 - 06:11 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#69 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:43 AM

Nice, I've been waiting for this! Will edit when I finish the demo.

Edit: I found some bugs, like appearing in the middle of the town when I entered from the left side, some navy guys walked into the walls, (I dont remeber them all) but the game is still rocking! I loved the new character. The only problem is that the name I give the previous character didn't show up, and now they are named John and Anne...

And I cant still load the game properly.

Edited by Zccc, 15 September 2009 - 10:31 AM.

#70 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

awesome update, this was soo much fun. My play time ended up being 1:29:03, and I loved every second of it! Everything was great, the story of Riley was really sad, but at least I got a chance to smack around Bradley a little more :)

That viking side boss was actually pretty tough. I was pretty damn close to dieing, he ended up getting 54+ strength bonuses, pretty scary stuff! I did own him though, I love the "Axe" hahaha.

Don't lose hope, this game is incredible.

#71 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I clicked on Item and it shows me the two you start with.
I click on spec, and back to item, and they're both 0 0x. I click on either one, it errors, and closes the game.

I'll edit later once I finish the demo.

poof_sig.png

#72 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the positive comments, everyone! I've just gone and uploaded a new update fixing _every_ glitch you guys picked up. Sorry for that, the bugtesting for this release was a little more rushed than I normally like to do. It should be 100% clear now, however.

I also added one new feature, which I'm really happy with... there's now day/night rotation while you're sailing on the open seas!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Day | Sunset | Night

Edited by banov, 16 September 2009 - 10:38 PM.

#73 Mack151

Mack151

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:18 AM

Excellent update! However, there are a few things that bugged me:
  • You might want to adress the characters' movement in cutscenes. The have the tendency to spontaneously change sprites in the middle of walking.
  • Dragging the ship around with the mouse is a very interesting idea, but it moves is too slow. Maybe you could speed it up a bit?
  • When Riley and the monkey joined the first two characters, they were severely underleveled! Is there some sort of way to help them catch up in the game?
  • As someone stated before, the navy guys magically walk into the walls if you re-enter the base after Riley's joined your crew.
  • Ending a battle with an elemental attack causes the screen to change color until you return to the overworld.
Other than those things, though, the game's great! The night/day effect is awesome!

You opened the mailbox.
Nothing was in it.
Nothing after nothing came bursting out of the mailbox.

#74 Rouge

Rouge

Mr Enigami

• 279 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

I thought this deserves a bump, since it is such a cool game (from what I remember).

I haven't played this in quite some time... it looks like you've gotten LOADS done since I last downloaded something from this thread. I wish I had gotten as much work on my own RPG in the same amount of time... :) :)

I've downloaded it again, and I will edit later with my thoughts and feelings.

Wait... I don't remember being told how to use special items. That, my friend, is a VERY cool idea. :P

EDIT 1-
Well, I just wanted to say that the boat sound is brilliant! I love it! :D That's just such a cool effect, and now I feel like I'm on a boat. Was my kitchen always moving?

EDIT 2-
After finishing some problems I was having with my own RPG, I decided to go back to Dubloon. Well after reaching that town, I decided to go an look for "Vypa's Treasure". And I need to stop again. *sigh* and I was having so much fun...

Edited by wis3on3, 25 October 2009 - 08:55 PM.

Click to be taken to my (OLD) website. - Posted Image
Click to go to the GMC thread. - Posted Image
My Blog | My (WIP) Website | My Forum

Previously "wis3on3"

#75 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:18 AM

How's the game coming along banov? (:

#76 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:51 AM

I'm sorry I've been slow to post! The game is going incredibly well--I'm going to post an update soon. I've had some problems that slowed me down, and I didn't want to bump this topic without a new update, but I don't want anyone to think this is abandoned. As I type this, someone's testing the new parts of the game for me.

My self-imposed deadline is to update by Thanksgiving, if not this weekend. Stay tuned.

#77 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:06 AM

If you need a beta tester for the full game release, I'm up for it.

This game is just amazing in every way in my opinion. If you ever thought of making it commercial, I would buy it ^^;

#78 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:50 AM

- U P D A T E -

This is by far the largest update I've ever posted for Dubloon. The playtime to get to the end has nearly doubled; lots of new islands, items and enemies to explore, collect and battle. Engine updates, graphical updates, and bugfixes galore. If you've played Dubloon before, this is the update you've been waiting for.

A special thanks to Brod, who helped with me with the uploading process due to a shaky computer situation at this moment.

Please play, enjoy and then give me back your comments! Thank you!

#79 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:35 AM

Alright, so far through the new demo i've got some suggestions/questions, nowhere close to the end of the demo yet. I might edit this post some soon :P

-Why can you go back into the ship once you've hid inside the bushes-
-The song chest shouldn't be so easy to use, maybe make them break after the first use-
-After you go past the battle items tutorial, you have a clone of each of the characters (though the clones dont move :D)
Posted Image
Edit: Hm, the song chest is more useful in some places than others. Maybe make some places have an "old" song chest so it breaks after one use.

Edited by linx137520, 22 November 2009 - 03:47 AM.

Posted ImageLinx~

#80 NoPlay

NoPlay

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:02 AM

lol this game is SWEETER then a sugur coated lollipop....hmmm lollipop....anyways

its sweet, it has a Final fantasy feel to it witch i L O V E

SO KEEP IT UP DUDE-A ROO AND THIS GAME WILL BE SWEETER THEN A HONEY COATED SUGUR COATED LOLLIPOP

OH MANNN THATS SOOOO SWEET MHMMMM

TOOODLES

Moogles: Working on Story
( Im not sure if this is under the reqiurements if not just tell me)
{The Moogles Team}
{Noplay: Story writer/Leader of project}
{Crozier: Spriter}
{Spooder_weld: Programmer}

#81 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Nice, I'll edit when I finish the demo. I used the older version save file, and when I went into the house of the new guy, I got two pairs of the same characters, the blue guy and the yellow girl... Looks like I have to play from the start.

#82 david9537

david9537

GMC Member

• 182 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:10 AM

yay
finally
i've been waiting for one of these games to come out
is this going to be FF style?

#83 NoPlay

NoPlay

GMC Member

• 177 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

YES lol thats one of the reasons why i love this game...

Moogles: Working on Story
( Im not sure if this is under the reqiurements if not just tell me)
{The Moogles Team}
{Noplay: Story writer/Leader of project}
{Crozier: Spriter}
{Spooder_weld: Programmer}

#84 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

I tested the game and I found no problems with it except for one. On of the stat increase capsules doesn't work. I can't remember which. Excluding that, 10/10. Gratz.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#85 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

@linx:
-Why can you go back into the ship once you've hid inside the bushes?
It's not a ship, it's a jail building! And since Bradley and the navy aren't stalking around in there anymore, there's no harm in going back there.

-The song chest shouldn't be so easy to use, maybe make them break after the first use?
Por que? What makes it so easy? They're not all so close together that they break the game, or anything...

-After you go past the battle items tutorial, you have a clone of each of the characters (though the clones dont move smile.gif)
Fixed, thanks for pointing that out!

@NoPlay:
...Okay then! Thank you!

@Zccc:
That's a shame, my apologies! I hope you're able to play through far, I don't expect there to be any more incompatibilities past this demo.

@david:
Play and find out! :)

@KingTetiro:
I find that doubtful! Stat capsules' effects aren't readily apparent; they don't add to the stat, they increase the base stat, so that as you level up it will strengthen better. Thanks for playing, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
----------

I touched on this a little, but there's been a small update loaded, fixing some of the tiny bugs players pointed out to make it as tight as possible. I also put up a high-res version (though it doesn't always work...) and a YouTube trailer, for your entertainment. Thanks again for the helpful replies!

Edited by banov, 24 November 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#86 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

What I mean banov is that one of the stat increase items doesn't work at all. I try to use it and nothing happens. The item doesn't dissappear either.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#87 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:47 PM

Ah, i didn't realize it was a jail building. Hm, if it is then since you already blew a hole in it shouldn't the hole stay there? About the song chests, it seems as the the levels and dungeons arent as difficult since you can just go back and heal so easily. I'm going to use(for a reference) pokemon. They have pokemon centers, but it is tedious to go back all the time and heal which is why you have items. With the song chests they just seem so easy to get to. But still i loved the demo and i cant wait to see the next update :)
Posted ImageLinx~

#88 Zccc

Zccc

GMC Member

• 392 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

I played it untill the end, and I loved it! The golden key dungeon boss surprised me. The new bosses and islands are cool. I finally beated the viking boss, it was hard in the old version, because you had to evolve, and without new areas, it was slow. I like the new battle items, and how you can use the other spec itens in battle.

Some cons and buggs:
- Some enemyes get stuck in walls.
-Why do the bosses are related to music? I was expecting other magical power from the ice guy.

#89 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

The girl pirate somehow got her 'powers' mixed up with the player.. now she does ice palm, and ice stream (or whatever it's called) same as the main character. This stinks, because I liked her 'firey' powers. :)

Also, I downloaded the 'hi-quiality' version.. it went full-screen, and my computer somehow managed to distort the image... long shot is, I can't see the 'edge' or 'top/bottoms of the screen.
This made it awkward for when I wanted to quit, and found no easy way of doing so. (if it said how to, it must have been up the top/or bottom) so I ctrl+alt+del out.. only to find to my horror I was stuck in that tiny resolution... which isn't even big enough to accomidate the 'change resolution' screen. I managed to figure out a way to change the resolution back.. but needless to say that was a nasty shock.

Gripes aside, fantastic game, love the battle system, the way you can 'help' by clicking on the enemies attacks/whatever, I've only just arrived at Jolly Roger Island, and look forward to trying more. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to find a version which doesn't change my resolution :)

Really, really nice game, sets a nice atmosphere, makes me feel like a pirate. Love the way you can set your stats at the beginning of the game, how you can pick the names... it's just great.

Thanks for making, it's been a pleasure playing so far, and I can't wait for it to be fully finished.
Yo, ho, ho!
~DD

Edited by Desert Dog, 26 November 2009 - 11:50 AM.

HTML5 games for mobile:
HexDogs Bugz Burn! Captain George Golfing Block Memory

Games for Androids
*NEW* Word Dog - Published by Dangerous_Dave

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.
Use the quicksort to sort ds_lists 10-18 times faster than ds_list_sort()!

#90 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:14 AM

@Tetiro:
I see! Luckily, the problem was easy to correct, and next time I upload an update that'll be gone. Thanks for catching that!

@linx:
Ah, I see what you're getting at. Still, if you can/have to go back to heal, that's fine by me. What's important is that the player can travel from one song chest to the next one without dying. Because of the way I've set up exp, the ability to fight enemies and heal yourself infinitely doesn't "break" the game. I guess I'd call that something that makes Dubloon unique :whistle: If the chests are appearing too frequently, however, I could spread them out a bit better...

@Zccc:
Enemies getting stuck in walls... augh, I swear that will haunt me until my death. No matter what I do, the occasional enemy still seems to get stuck. I'll keep tinkering with that. As for music, there's only one (1) main boss battle theme, a second "special" boss theme that you hear when you fight Bradley the second time, and then down the road, a final boss theme as well. So, among bosses, there isn't much variety in theme. Otherwise, glad you enjoyed the new islands and stuff, and great job beating the secret pirate captains!

@Desert Dog:
I have really mixed feelings about your post! On one hand, that attack glitch really freaks me out, as I've never seen anything like it, haven't been able to reproduce it, and even with our PM correspondence and getting ahold of your save file haven't the faintest idea what originally caused it. The resolution bug is just plain stupid, and that along with others' complaints have lead to me just taking down the high res version entirely. It just hasn't been worth it.
But on the other hand, your positive feedback's very inspirational! I'm glad you enjoyed the game and took so well to its spirit and feel. Please let me know what your thoughts are once/if you reach this demo's end!

#91 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:33 AM

I still suggest the transition from freeware to commercial if you have never tried it yet banov. This game has high quality that rivals even big companies like SCE and Nintendo.

Edited by Mr. RPG, 28 November 2009 - 05:34 AM.

#92 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

The resolution bug is just plain stupid, and that along with others' complaints have lead to me just taking down the high res version entirely. It just hasn't been worth it.

Ahoy, Captain Banov!

I should have mentioned, me hearty, that I also have this similar problem with other games, when they are in full-screen. I can't name a big list, but from memory Ahriham's Prophecy, (made with RPG-maker whatever) also screwed up in a likewise manner. So it is most certainly me computers poor onboard graphics.

Well, I be playing through it again, from the start (as I promised, matey), and have fought many a scurvy son of a biscuit in me journey so far. I have written down some little notes, just as I'm playing.

-The game saves stats like fullscreen, etc, and restores them when the game is started again.
just so I don't have to constantly switch to a higher resolution in the game settings,
everytime I play. Minor thing

-When I switched to Jim and Gibb(boy and monkey), I still kept all the items I collected
when I was Dog and Rebel (hero, and Lady Pirate). Should I really keep those?

My journey be still long, and fraught with danger, Captain, I will send you regular reports of my journey. I leave now, to join my fellow Gentleman 'o fortune, to continue in this quest
Wish me luck,
~Captain Dog

P.s. Yes, me hearty, me pirate lingo sucks. Thank Davy-Jones for the internet! Yo-ho-ho!
HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

Code: General Array Functions - GM-S friendly. sorting, shuffling. Includes a quicksort.

#93 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

Do you plan on adding some kind of userbar support thinga-ma-jig? Because I'd love to spread the word of your amazing RPG.

Until then, I'll make a link in my signature. :D

#94 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Finished the demo! Good work.. I had planned to keep an eye out for things so I could give you ideas on how to improve, but it was pretty good all round! Really, really, like your battle system.

There were a 'few' things I managed to get for you.. it isn't much because there isn't much wrong with the game :D

-in the island where Gibb(the monkey) has to sneak on alone, there is a typo (I think)
in one of the marines text boxes. He said:"Navy Guy: "The navy found some important ancient
ruins on this island, though I'm not sure what exactly msde them important"

msde? Did I read that right?

-Graphical glitch, a 'skeleton' got stuck in a wall, and looked ugly. Screenshot!
http://img227.images...creenshotpp.png
I sat there for a bit, watching him wiggling his legs in vain, before taking the screenshot.
Being a cruel pirate, I left him to suffer :lol:
Edit: Oh, already been pointed out. :D

That's all I could pick up on. Oh, one last one, but this is a minor spoiler, so don't read if you don't want to be... well.. spoilt!

I thought it was hilarious how you have that big build up to the golden knight, and then I just defeated him with one blow!

Edited by Desert Dog, 02 December 2009 - 09:48 PM.

HTML5 games for mobile:

Games for Androids

#95 desertdweller

desertdweller

Love Truth

• 1255 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:00 AM

@Tetiro:
I see! Luckily, the problem was easy to correct, and next time I upload an update that'll be gone. Thanks for catching that!

I assume King Tetiro and I found the same one, was it the AP capsule?

Just making sure... :P

By the way I love this game. Been playing it for...four hours straight now. A couple more and I will soon come to hate this game..

Also, to be honest the final battle was way too easy. I just made the monkey shoot an Energy Beam, and it dealt him 175 damage...and that was it. :( Quite the anticlimax.

One more thing, what am I supposed to for with the lady with the lost necklace? I couldn't find it anywhere. :unsure:

Edited by desertdweller, 04 December 2009 - 04:35 PM.

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . .
our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Working on music off and on. School gets in the way. My site's a mess of non-updatedness.

#96 ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

ChIkEn AtE mY dOnUtS

Pwner of barcodes

• GMC Member
  • 2410 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

Wow, this is really impressive. My only things are, If you could make a slightly better movement engine, spice up the graphics and make the battles more.. intense? I think it'd be massively better.

Please finish this..
I've moved away from GM. If you want to contact me, feel free to email ryanwebdev@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ryan.

#97 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

I played it.
Everything was great, the movement, the secrets.
I especially liked getting new attacks =D
Only 1 problem. When you switch the order of your team it shows the lady twice.. So when you switch it around the captain man is gone and there are two of the lady.

Keep working! SLAVE!

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#98 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

you have proven yourself once again.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#99 david9537

david9537

GMC Member

• 182 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

i finished the demo and found every single secret chests and bosses and weapons and it took me 2 and half hours to complete
it's pretty fun
except i didnt like the fact that the party leader gets the least amount of exps
and i think the battle animation should be changed

#100 mcgames000

mcgames000

GMC Member

• 79 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:21 AM

I've only just downloaded this and have found some bugs.
-AP Capsul doesn't work. Won't let me add.
-Pausing with escape occasionally freezes enemies until paused again
By the way I see you fixed the boss skipping glitch Good Job.