Photo

Crazy Over Goo - Flash Port Now Released!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hey you! There's a new and improved Flash version of this game out now! Check it out HERE!
Look how much better it looks, too!

Posted Image

-----------We now return you to you regularly scheduled PC game-----------

Posted Image

A fun, simple mouse-controlled platformer with 50 short, gimmicky levels. Also featuring a level editor and tons of unlockables to keep you playing.
This game is a Cage Match Hall of Famer, incidentally.

:)Information
Title: Crazy Over Goo
File Size: 3.8 MB
GM Version: GM7
Changes Screen Resolution: No

:DDownload Links:

Mirror 1:
GameJolt
http://gamejolt.com/...y-over-goo/171/

Mirror 2:
YoYoGames
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/80900

Mirror 3:
Host-A
http://host-a.net/ba...razyOverGoo.zip

HIGH QUALITY SOUNDTRACK:
(Save in the same directory as the game exe)
http://host-a.net/ba..._Soundtrack.zip

:DScreenshots: (Click to enlarge)
Posted Image
Posted Image

:GM080:Credits:
-Banov, as in, me, for ALL sprites, animations, programming, etc
-Prophecy for composing the soundtrack

Click Here to See Online High Scores

Edited by banov, 21 April 2011 - 01:57 AM.

#2 Poris

Poris

GMC Member

• 533 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:39 AM

What happened to the old name, Yellow Goo Love?

Anyway, I played both, great game!

Edited by Poris, 08 May 2009 - 12:40 AM.

Posted Image
Play Scratch!
Home Page

Ever felt like programming a game in Java but couldn't do it? Perhaps my Game-Maker interface will help you! It surely helped me.
Coffee Maker - Perhaps the world's only Game Maker - Java connection.
Posted Image

#3 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:48 AM

That was very fun, i got to level 22 and then quit :D.

I liked the simple graphics, and i hope you continue to make more games :D
Posted ImageLinx~

#4 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Great! It's awesome to see it's finished! The final levels were really great and well designed, just like I had expected. :D

Though when I first saw the topic name, I thought someone tried to steal your idea.. (I brought my torch too...)

Anyway, grats on finishing!!

Beat game with 356 clicks :D

Edited by brod, 08 May 2009 - 09:05 PM.

#5 Drewdelz

Drewdelz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1056 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:32 AM

Great game! Turned out even better than I'd thought. :D

#6 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Im gonna download this right now!

Ill edit once ive played.

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#7 Spydog

Spydog

I Am Me.

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

AWESOME! I'm downloading now...

EDIT:
Alright, then. I've beaten the game and unlocked everything so here we go...

I personally thought that the game was okay. Not great, but okay. The main game was pretty good but the concept was pretty much worn out by the last few levels. The visuals were alright - not much had been changed since the beta. The only new music track that I really liked was number 7 but occasionally it would just stop after a death (like it was supposed to) and never start back. This happened on several occasions. One more bug I found: the record number of clicks isn't displayed in rooms with a view. This may have been intentional, but still...

As for the Level Maker...well, I was expecting more. I liked the unlockable parts and the overall system but I thought the editor was glitched the first two times I tried to use it. You see, apparently increasing the "window" size will make it so that only 49 items (7,7 was the max position) can be placed as opposed to whatever size you had selected. It probably has to do with the mouse coordinates. Also, I would suggest the possibility to make the entire level a blue "fly zone". Those were my favorite levels, and having to place the tiles got tedious and didn't leave much room for other objects.

I'd give it a 7/10. There were some noticeable flaws and bugs, but overall it was pretty fun. Good job.

Edited by Spydog, 08 May 2009 - 09:45 PM.

College-aged game developer.

Guess what? I'm on Twitter! You can follow me! @TheSpydog
And I might even follow you too!

#8 eddie7k

eddie7k

GMC Member

• 467 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

Damn, I was thinking about that type of game as side-project.But yeah, it's really good idea.

#9 lasttea999

lasttea999

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:08 AM

That... was... AWESOME!!! Definitely Hall-of-Fame material. I didn't feel up for getting the final unlockable, though...

Edited by lasttea999, 09 May 2009 - 07:27 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 TheCommonFlame

TheCommonFlame

GMC Member

• 570 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:30 AM

Just played it.
Very fun!
QUOTE (Jess)
QUOTE (TCF)
You can fall off a building, you can fall out a tree, but baby, the best way to fall is in love with me.

Awww <3

#11 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:47 AM

Wow. Impressive, and fun. I love how the music just pauses when you die.
EDIT: Okay, I just got to level eight, and I must say: that gravity is AMAZING. To me, at least. I absolutely love it.

Edited by BENJAMUS, 09 May 2009 - 04:57 AM.

#12 Vizorslash

Vizorslash

GMC Member

• 85 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

I must confess I didn't really enjoy it as much as other people. I thought it pretty good but there were some flaws. I found it glitchy in the mouse aiming and it was hard to aim. I either didn't go far enough or too far. I only played to about level 12, it's really all the same, the levels aren't that much different then the others however some levels are better than others. It's an interesting game but it wasn't very satisfying for me. The music tracks were nice though. When doing some levels I found it hard to control the character thingy and I kept clicking outside the game and onto other windows. I know you can change the screen size but it looks really horrible. This is, however my opinion and other people seem to find this game much more enjoyable than I did.

EDIT: Done. I finished the game and all the unlockables have been unlocked. After I got used to the aiming, I did better and managed to keep my clicks down. It got easier to aim the more I played. Some of the later levels were better than other but a few of them seemed like fillers. I also think there should have been more variety in objects, and levels. I feel like the unlockables should have been included in the game but maybe extra things not in the main game should have been unlockables, like extra levels if you only use 500 clicks or less for example. Or maybe a set of extra difficult levels which unlocks extra stuff upon completion. It was a pretty good minigame/(platformer?) game but it could be better.

I also think there should have been more variety in objects, and levels.

Graphics: They were okay, not bad but they fit the style. 7/10
Gameplay: Glitchy aiming but otherwise enjoyable. 6/10
Music: I really liked some of the tracks in this. 8/10
Story: I can't really rate this becaue there wasn't any need for a story nor was story a priority in the game. 0/0

7/10

Edited by Vizorslash, 09 May 2009 - 10:28 AM.

#13 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:48 PM

Pretty Awsome! I have 4 levels left to do so I'm gunna do that now. I would suggest that in the level maker it allows you to place items in the water/fly zone.

#14 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Pretty Awsome! I have 4 levels left to do so I'm gunna do that now. I would suggest that in the level maker it allows you to place items in the water/fly zone.

I've been thinking the same thing, by the way.

#15 Ryath

Ryath

GMC Member

• 69 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

I played and finished the game. Amazing job, Banov! I think you could have explained a bit more in the beginning about the fact that there was this girl as the goal, though. I didn't get that until the end. Maybe I just missed something.

I really don't have the patience to go back and play again to get under 650, but still, amazing game.

#16 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

I went back and lowered my clicks to 622. I had 22 clicks in level 22 and in level 12. That fixed it lol

#17 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

Great game, I voted for it in Cage Match and am currently trying to reduce my clicks.

Edit: Yay just got it under 650. I had like 50 click on all of the blue ones because I would hover instead of doing it strategically.

Edited by wiiowner, 10 May 2009 - 06:22 PM.

Completed Projects: Eco-Chrome || Conway's Game of Life - Update that triples framerate!
Scripts: Grid Based Lighting (With Dynamic Soft Shadows) || Mud Physics

#18 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Woot! I just reduced my click count to 337. What's the lowest?

#19 Liveandlearn

Liveandlearn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

It was good, but I'd rather have an action epic. Could you do an RPG next, like Someplace Else but with your new graphics and a different battle system?

8/10 for this, it didn't get boring but it wasn't the biggest explosion of "wow I love this", unlike Assassin Blue was.

If you've played any of my games, send me a link to one of yours and I'll try your games out, too!

#20 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback and constructive criticisms, everyone! I've been reading your replies and loving it. I'll address some comments specifically...

What happened to the old name, Yellow Goo Love?

I changed it... Crazy Over Goo sounds a bit more fun than Yellow Goo Love, I thought. It was a decision I made after a lot of thought and checking with others.

Beat game with 356 clicks

Woot! I just reduced my click count to 337. What's the lowest?

My personal record is 379, so I'd have to say that both of you are amazing. :D

It was good, but I'd rather have an action epic. Could you do an RPG next, like Someplace Else but with your new graphics and a different battle system?

That is exactly what I'm working on now o.o

And to those of you who felt the game doesn't live up to the hype, thanks for criticisms and honest opinions. From what I could tell most of what you said was valid. I've been looking into some of the (minor) glitches mentioned but for the most part I haven't been able to recreate any of them, let alone fix them.

Edited by banov, 10 May 2009 - 10:33 PM.

#21 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

It like deleted my old game file. Any idea what caused that? Worked so hard (3 Hours) To Get all the unlockables and the lowest score I could

Edited by Scale18, 10 May 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#22 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

That stinks, but I have no idea why or how. There's not a single piece of code in the game that deletes external files of any kind.

#23 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

Guess I will just restart. The last level on the part when your trying to get the key is kinda hard, Its just like rapid clicking. Awsome game! Voted for it in the cagematch.

#24 syth184

syth184

GMC Member

• 1313 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:36 AM

Very nice, jsut the right difficulty scratch a few frustrating parts. nice one time playthrough, 50 levels was jsut the right amount. i liked it alot. convinced me to get back to work on my game. heh. 9/10 -nothing mind blowing, but very nice
There is nothing wrong with being arrogant as long as it's true.

hello i make tyops becasue im lazy and i hate you anyways.

#25 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

You see, apparently increasing the "window" size will make it so that only 49 items (7,7 was the max position) can be placed as opposed to whatever size you had selected. It probably has to do with the mouse coordinates.

Really? I use the level editor in fullscreen just fine. Press control to move the view around, if you didn't read the help.

Also, I would suggest the possibility to make the entire level a blue "fly zone". Those were my favorite levels, and having to place the tiles got tedious and didn't leave much room for other objects.

I concur.

#26 Liveandlearn

Liveandlearn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 312 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

That is exactly what I'm working on now o.o

Back of the net! (that's a good thing) I hope you finish it, don't try to do things that might be too hard, or else it might end up like Someplace Else and have to be stopped because it had a bad system.

If you've played any of my games, send me a link to one of yours and I'll try your games out, too!

#27 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

It like deleted my old game file. Any idea what caused that? Worked so hard (3 Hours) To Get all the unlockables and the lowest score I could

The only thing I can think of is that you accidentally deleted it or moved it out of the folder.

#28 Spydog

Spydog

I Am Me.

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:29 AM

After lots of strategic playing, my current total click count is 298. That can probably still be lowered, though.

#29 brod

brod

Brian RODriguez

• GMC Member
  • 2050 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:33 AM

After lots of strategic playing, my current total click count is 298. That can probably still be lowered, though.

Damn.. that beats mine by a lot. I'll have to crack down and destroy that count.

#30 Obilink

Obilink

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 01:42 AM

It didn't live up to my expectations, but still, very good Banov. The levels are indeed well made, however the game doesn't seem to make the player want keep playing. But, Banov, you did an excellent job with the level editor. It is easy to use, fun, and just makes the game great. I can't wait for your next work.

~ Obilink

#31 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:40 PM

Awesome game, Banov. I beat it with 454 clicks.
Its not nearly as good as I expected it to be. (Its better!)
However, this game is not nearly as good as your other games. Its still pretty good, and I hope to see more from you.
5/6

:blink:

-orange08

Edit: BTW, I love the sound the Goo makes when it says that Love heart thing.

Edited by orange08, 12 May 2009 - 04:44 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#32 Scale18

Scale18

Lover of Tacos

• 1054 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you accidentally deleted it or moved it out of the folder.

Clearing temporary internet files would delete it huh? I'm so stupid...

#33 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:59 PM

Damn.. that beats mine by a lot. I'll have to crack down and destroy that count.

That can be lowered a lot. I'm at 268, and even that can be lowered a lot. I have some levels in the 50's, and they can definitely be down at 20 or so.
EDIT: Speaking of which, why do some levels not have a click count?

Edited by BENJAMUS, 12 May 2009 - 11:01 PM.

#34 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

That can be lowered a lot. I'm at 268, and even that can be lowered a lot. I have some levels in the 50's, and they can definitely be down at 20 or so.

Ah-HA! I figured it out! This tipped me off. I'd been looking for some error in the drawing, but it turns out that glitch happens because the game wasn't even saving the click record for those certain rooms!

I'm in the process of updating with a new version. I think you'll find it much harder to beat my click count of 379 if all the levels actually have a saved record :blink:

#35 Spydog

Spydog

I Am Me.

• GMC Member
  • 434 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:43 PM

The update is impossible - Level 4's sticky blocks (on the left) aren't sticky anymore. This really needs to be changed ASAP.

#36 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Ah-HA! I figured it out! This tipped me off. I'd been looking for some error in the drawing, but it turns out that glitch happens because the game wasn't even saving the click record for those certain rooms!

I'm in the process of updating with a new version. I think you'll find it much harder to beat my click count of 379 if all the levels actually have a saved record :D

O_O
Thats my score!!! But.. of course. On some of the levels there arent any click counts :D

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#37 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

The update is impossible - Level 4's sticky blocks (on the left) aren't sticky anymore. This really needs to be changed ASAP.

Well that's embarrassing.
In the process of uploading another fix!

#38 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:29 AM

yeah, the right and lower side of the blocks aren't sticking. Anyways, with the 3 skips you can still get to level 40 something :D
GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#39 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:20 AM

Why do you sometimes bounce off the wood blocks when you're on fire and others not?

#40 Squirmonkey

Squirmonkey

GMC Member

• 343 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

The stickys are still broken which makes level 4 the hardest one in the game (although they are all still possible, just waaaay harder than i think you intended)

#41 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:37 AM

Even more embarrassing! I updated the exe, but I didn't actually replace the exe in the zip folder with the new one before I re-uploaded. Stupidstupidstupid. My apologies, everyone. This time for sure.

EDIT: I think there's actually an error with YoYo's updater. For now I'd suggest just going off WillHostForfood

Edited by banov, 14 May 2009 - 02:51 AM.

#42 d.man

d.man

GMC Member

• 122 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

pretty cool game.

good job!
Quark, quake2 platform remake -source code
Climbing, multiple weapons, platform ai, dodging, basic physics, menu effects and more.
----

Hero - Work in progress
New gameplay video uploaded! (20.04.2009)

#43 tacopie981

tacopie981

GMC Member

• 131 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

Very great game 10/10! I like how its challenging, and wish I knew how it works. :(
I'm back(I've been gone for a few months sorry)!!!

#44 TheCommonFlame

TheCommonFlame

GMC Member

• 570 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

http://willhostforfo...ad&fileid=66414
I made this level, nothing special.

But yeah, finally clocked the game.
QUOTE (Jess)
QUOTE (TCF)
You can fall off a building, you can fall out a tree, but baby, the best way to fall is in love with me.

Awww <3

#45 Guest_{Giorgio}_*

Guest_{Giorgio}_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

That's a nice mini game. I didn't play it much in the first time but I will later. I like the cheerful atmosphere and the elements of this game, that keep you challenging and the creative level design. The characters behavior adds a humor to the game. The level editor is fun, I can say, personally, it attracted me more. :) Also the "Super Mario Galaxy" levels are unique for a game like this.

One thing that I think would be nice is, when you press the left mouse button and you want to cancel your move, to do that by pressing the right mouse button.

Good job, keep it up.

Also I made a level, maybe you wanna play it: Screenshot | File.

#46 name

name

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1427 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

Nice game.
:)
9/10

#47 Orc Leader

Orc Leader

Confused but Grateful

• 609 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:24 AM

I got under 650 clicks, but messed up and closed the window telling me what I got. So could you possibly tell me what you get?

Thanks
"This is Miller, he's fifteen years old. Miller is uh, probably the most rock and roll member of our crew.
He has seven wives and fiftythree children, and uh, he takes cocaine for breakfast, crack for lunch, and heroin for dinner."

-Chris Martin

#48 chichmonkey

chichmonkey

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

Very, Very good game. I love level editors.
I just got my click count below 400.

Edit: Down to 360!!!!

Congrats on cage match hall of fame!
Edit again: Missing some click tallies, redid those, up to 378.
Level 50's was missing; after I did that in 31 clicks, I was up to 391. I got better numbers on some earlier levels and got it down further. I am no longer missing any levels in the click tally, so 378 is my legit score, 1 less than Banov.

Edit: You might not believe me when I tell you I'm down to 322.

299, on a 16 click finish of level 34. Officially under 300.

278, more than 100 less than Banov's score.

Edited by chichmonkey, 01 July 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#49 cordynasty

cordynasty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

Now this is a unique game. The intro was funny and gave the goal right there in your face.

#50 holomanga

holomanga

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

I could only get to level 14 :whistle:

But I loved the planetoid levels, good job!