A Game About Germs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 metalhead1023

metalhead1023

GMC's only emo kid

• 612 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:01 AM

Well ok, I haven't really been doing much with Game Maker lately, but I had an urge to get back on it. So I wanted to think of an easy game to make. Well I though how about a germ you control with your mouse and kill other germs, easy. Let me first say I know a little about the germ world, but not much so the dynamics of the germs in my game will in no way reflect the ways of real germs, so when giving me ideas let your mind run free. I would like some ideas about the kinds of settings germs would be in, like water or other surfaces, no food or anything because I'm good at spriting so I'm going to make it look good but I don't want to sprite a whole level in a park trash can. So simple levels, that would be easy to sprite, thats what I need ideas for. Also what kind of bosses could my germ take on? I was thinking trying to avoid things like the spray of a cleaning agent while trying to pick up power ups that make the germ resistant. I need help thinking up simpler enemies too, I'm going to include things like projectiles and a kind of 'germ fur' that rotates around enemys that if I touch it I lose health. Lastly please tell me any, any ideas that come to mind when thinking of a video game in a germ world.

By the way, I do have Pro.

Ideas I want
  • Levels
  • Bosses
  • Enemies
  • Other

#2 GeothermalDuck

GeothermalDuck

GMC Member

• 326 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:51 AM

The first thing that popped in my head was a toilet bowl.
How many games take place in a toilet bowl?

More seriously, maybe you can breed and have your grems follow you like homies.
Objectives could be like procreating as much as you can, and then take your offspring and feed them into open wounds of small insects and mamels.

#3 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 3329 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Well, one of the defining features of germs is their massive breeding rate, so why not turn this into a gameplay feature? It would be difficult to implement as a player-mechanic, but when it comes to enemies it could be quite interesting.

Examples of multiplication-based enemies:
  • This germ will seek out the corpses of defeated enemies, and use them to grow stronger. Therefore, defeating these germs early on is essential, otherwise they will expand uncontrollably and eventually become undefeatable.
  • This germ is similar to the one mentioned above, but instead of becoming stronger it creates copies of itself. Therefore, defeating enemies other than this germ is entirely futile; the enemy will quickly be replaced.
  • This germ, when defeated, will instantly spawn up to ten weaker enemies. This can overwhelm an unprepared player; it's generally best to defeat these germs last, or ignore them altogether.
  • This germ will spawn a weak enemy whenever it successfully attacks the player. Therefore, the player has to be very careful; otherwise, a bad situation could rapidly become much worse.

#4 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2532 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

the coolest thing about germs i that they constantly mutate, no two are alike (unless you have only one to begin with). I don't know how this could be helpful with the game, but it's great thing to keep in mind that virtually every germ you can thing of will be actually out there.

#5 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4212 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

the coolest thing about germs i that they constantly mutate, no two are alike (unless you have only one to begin with). I don't know how this could be helpful with the game, but it's great thing to keep in mind that virtually every germ you can thing of will be actually out there.

A random mutation is no more likelier to occur in a bacteria than in an animal. Although I suppose seeing as they reproduce so quickly, a random mutation would be much more likely in a certain timeframe.

#6 weckar

weckar

Helping Hand

• GMC Member
  • 2532 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

o random mutations, but when two bacteria repoduce together (so no self-spliting) they share peices of the DNA< so the new one will be different from poth 'parents', much more so than with animals.

#7 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4212 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

o random mutations, but when two bacteria repoduce together (so no self-spliting) they share peices of the DNA< so the new one will be different from poth 'parents', much more so than with animals.

No, not really. AFAIK, bacteria always reproduce asexually. Even if they didn't, animals share their parents DNA 50-50, 23 chromosones from each.

#8 Frostblade

Frostblade

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 3329 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I don't know how this could be helpful with the game

That should have been a warning, really.
Biology is all very interesting, but it's hardly worth derailing the topic. Feel free to discuss genetics-by-committee through PM.

#9 nicktheslayer

nicktheslayer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:01 PM

Flamethrowers would work well agains germs, considering the can't live very long in the heat. Also, you could hae water balloons full of hand sanitizer! :(

#10 Axle the Beast

Axle the Beast

Chimera

• 145 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:39 PM

Going with Frostblade's multiplication theme, you could also have enemies who multiply indefinitely, meaning you need to take them out fast.

You can also, going more with the concept of single-celled organisms (which I still feel is appropriate,) you could have enemies who chase you down and latch on. Varieties could exist that damage you repeatedly, slow you down, attract stronger enemies, etc. Although you would most definitely need to figure out a way to get them off.

Perhaps for a boss you could have a gigantic blob that attempts to absorb you and drain your health? Perhaps it's weak points (or at least some of them) are actually inside of it, so you have to enter it and take out it's weak points quickly before it kills you.

Just some ideas I thought up. I'll post again later if I think up more.

#11 jcgamesx

jcgamesx

GMC Member

• 295 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

Maybe a level against an immune system to conquer (kill) a person? Maybe a destroy the world through pandemic. Each person is a level, and you need to kill random people, and up until world leaders.

#12 bbb0280

bbb0280

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

Like this?:

http://www.crazymonk...Pandemic-2.html

#13 jcgamesx

jcgamesx

GMC Member

• 295 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Like this?:

http://www.crazymonk...Pandemic-2.html

No Way!
I had nooooo idea that this existed. I guess that is an example of how plaigrism works. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users