#1 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

*This concept has been forgotten and the newest version can be found here:*
http://gmc.yoyogames...1

This is a recreation of the old Digimon virtual pet electronics, except for the pc and in color.

This is Version 2.0 of the Digimon V-Pet. It is incomplete but in progress. Below you can download the demo that displays the new graphics.

-Made with Game Maker 5.3, works on most windows systems
-Almost 100 different Digimon
-From Egg to Mega Level
-Online Battles via IP addresses
-Color

Name: Digimon V-Pet V2.0
Category: Virtual Pet
Size: 2.0MB
Version: Game Maker 5.3
Vista Compatible: Yes
Resolution: 512x512
Changes Resolution: Yes (In multiples of 128)
Mulitplayer: Yes

Seperate Files Download Links:
2.0MB DigimonV-PetV2.0: http://www.box.net/shared/ry6fzrgpm4
42.0KB 39dll.dll (used for multiplayer battling): http://www.box.net/shared/v9ycke17j4
9.5KB GMalwaysontop.dll (used to stay on top of all windows): http://www.box.net/shared/ufi9r14pr6

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Version 1.2 can be found here:
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=405127

Edited by TwilightHero, 04 October 2010 - 11:54 PM.

#2 Fury

Fury

GMC Member

• 415 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

Why are you still using GM5.3? Gm6 was an improvement over 5, and 7 is even better.

The only reason I can think of is illegal rego keys. GM7 doesn't allow em like 5 and 6 did. That put me off Gm7 for awhile, but in reality $32AUD isn't that bad really.

I encourage you to buy GM7, or if you have already, to use it over 5.

#3 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

Why are you still using GM5.3? Gm6 was an improvement over 5, and 7 is even better.

The only reason I can think of is illegal rego keys. GM7 doesn't allow em like 5 and 6 did. That put me off Gm7 for awhile, but in reality $32AUD isn't that bad really.

Actually I have bought the registration keys, twice. And I have Game Maker 7, but Game Maker 5.3 runs better, and on almost all windows systems, and there are a quite a few programs that only work with Game Maker 5.3. GM7 only works on the newest systems, which leaves people with older systems completely out of the games and certain things just don't work with it.
Also, any GM5.3 game I make can easily be turned into GM7, but it can't go the other way around. So I consider 5.3 to be the best version and use it for all my games. Thanks for assuming, :)

#4 Zeitschleife

Zeitschleife

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

It would be amazingly awesome if this would include all Digimon from the Original V-Pet up to the first Pendulum series.

As far as I can tell, version 1.2 features only 6 of the pets.

Dino Egg would be the V-Pet 1,
Beast Egg would be the V-Pet 2,
Angel Egg would be the V-Pet 3
Insect Egg would be the Pendulum 1
Aqua Egg would be the Pendulum 2
Machine Egg would be the Pendulum 5

This is what I assume because of the starter Digimon that hatch from the respective eggs. Please correct me if I got something wrong.

I'm a little confused though because one time my Angel Egg ended up being a DemiDevimon and my Dino Egg also once turned out as a Sukamon.
But according to the original growth charts ( http://lcd.wtw-x.net/VpetEvo1 ) those are not included in the pets that I'm assuming them to resemble.

So I'm questioning..
Does this already include more Digimon Pets, but just with the growth charts mixed together?
If yes, which are mixed how?
If not, will there be more included in V2.0?

Also how exactly does the win/lose based training of the old games translate to the Offense/Defense/Speed based training method of your program? (I gotta say though, I really prefer the way you did it over the way it was in the original Pets. It's a lot less boring).

Also what I would be wishing for would be Version 2.0 to include all the Pets up to Pendulum.
V-Pet 1-5
Pendulum 1-5.5
(would 10 pets in total since there is a .5 version of every Edition with 3 exclusive Digimon, unless you could mesh those together somehowe to be included in the chart.)

Also please don't me get wrong. This is asking and requesting, not trying to advise or teaching you somehow.
I can imagine you put a lot of time into this and yours is the best Digimon v-pet emulator I've seen up to now! I really appreciate this and would love to see it finished and true to the original Growth Charts!

Also the time seems to be speeded up rapidly in this game, which isn't generally a bad thing. The only problem I have is that I have a hard time cleaning my monsters poop away before the time-out for call comes, resulting in a not so good Digivolution. =/
Optional speeds or something like that would be perfect.

Those are features that I would enjoy and appreciate a lot more than the better graphics you are working on. Although they do look pretty nice :D

Also a general game maker request. Is it possible to optionalize it somehow that I will hear the warning sound even if the window is minimized? At the moment I have to keep it at the top all the time or I won't notice it when my Digimon wants something.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and especially for the work you've already put into this and hopefully are further going to put into it =)

Edited by Zeitschleife, 13 May 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#5 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

So I'm questioning..
Does this already include more Digimon Pets, but just with the growth charts mixed together?
If yes, which are mixed how?
If not, will there be more included in V2.0?

Well, I'm not sure how my game compares to the original pets growth charts. I had a certain selection of sprites and just put them into those 6 egg groups I made, trying to relate them. So there may or may not be more or less Digimon than the originals and it may or may not fit the original charts.
As for V2.0, the sprites are coming from the DS game Digimon World: Championship. Therefore, I'll be limited to the Digimon that appear on that game, but there is a wide selection on that game.

Also how exactly does the win/lose based training of the old games translate to the Offense/Defense/Speed based training method of your program? (I gotta say though, I really prefer the way you did it over the way it was in the original Pets. It's a lot less boring).

I love the Offense/Defense/Speed system that I set up, it is less boring than the original. However, I'll admit that I think the game's digivolution requirements for my game as of now are quite difficult. :( You practically have to use every bit of energy your Digimon gets to train quickly, before the energy maxes out because then you'll be wasting away energy you could be gaining. To digivolve, certain stats must reach certain amounts before the time limit (different stats leading to different digimon). I hope to make this system easier in V2.0, as well as have an info menu that states digivolution requirements and growth charts. :P

Also what I would be wishing for would be Version 2.0 to include all the Pets up to Pendulum.
V-Pet 1-5
Pendulum 1-5.5
(would 10 pets in total since there is a .5 version of every Edition with 3 exclusive Digimon, unless you could mesh those together somehowe to be included in the chart.)

As I just said, I'll be limited to the sprites in Digimon World: Championship, but I will look through the Pendulum's pets and try to include them all, if not more.

Also the time seems to be speeded up rapidly in this game, which isn't generally a bad thing. The only problem I have is that I have a hard time cleaning my monsters poop away before the time-out for call comes, resulting in a not so good Digivolution. =/
Optional speeds or something like that would be perfect.

The game is faster than the original pets, yes, but I did this because it is on the computer compared to being a small portable handheld which you could have with you all day. If it were the same speed as the original, you would have to keep the game on pretty much all day, which may not be a problem for many people, haha. So optional speeds would be nice and I'll look into that, though you wouldn't be able to change speeds mid-game, as I think that is what may have caused many problems versions previous to V1.2.

Also a general game maker request. Is it possible to optionalize it somehow that I will hear the warning sound even if the window is minimized? At the moment I have to keep it at the top all the time or I won't notice it when my Digimon wants something.

I found that annoying too... I'm sorry, :( I'll have to ask around and see if anything is possible, but I may be limited by Game Maker.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and especially for the work you've already put into this and hopefully are further going to put into it =)

Thank you. :P I'm glad you enjoy the game. I hope to begin working on it very soon. I appreciate any ideas anyone has for improving the game, especially new battle system ideas. Thanks. ::lmao::

#6 Zeitschleife

Zeitschleife

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:46 AM

Well, I'm not sure how my game compares to the original pets growth charts. I had a certain selection of sprites and just put them into those 6 egg groups I made, trying to relate them. So there may or may not be more or less Digimon than the originals and it may or may not fit the original charts.
As for V2.0, the sprites are coming from the DS game Digimon World: Championship. Therefore, I'll be limited to the Digimon that appear on that game, but there is a wide selection on that game.

Ah ok. So how about using the old sprites just for those Digimon missing in Digimon World Championship? Would result in some looking a bit less good than the others, but at least they would be included :(
Because I'm not sure what Digimon are included in the game, but from what I've read, the only starter you can get is Botamon >_> Or are there others included in the game later?

I love the Offense/Defense/Speed system that I set up, it is less boring than the original. However, I'll admit that I think the game's digivolution requirements for my game as of now are quite difficult. :( You practically have to use every bit of energy your Digimon gets to train quickly, before the energy maxes out because then you'll be wasting away energy you could be gaining. To digivolve, certain stats must reach certain amounts before the time limit (different stats leading to different digimon). I hope to make this system easier in V2.0, as well as have an info menu that states digivolution requirements and growth charts. :P

An example for a new system might be always just judging the relation of the stats between each other instead of using certain levels. For example you have Koromon. If attack > Defense > Speed it evolves to Agumon, if Speed > Defense > Attack it evolves to Betamon etc.
Then a second counter for morality.. (No idea how one would regulate that, maybe through another mini-game that also increases the happiness when played or can only be played so and so often?), with respective stats for Vaccine/Data/Virus.
Evolving to a higher level would then simply give you a burst on the stats you have already been focussing on, in this example evolving to Agumon might give + 3 attack, +2 defense and +1 speed or something like that, or maybe a multiplicator?
That way you could have up to 36 different evolution options for one digimon (of course not always having to be that much), while still retaining a simple system that everyone is able to handle.
Weak Digimon like Numemon, Sukamon and Garbamon could come out when one stat is below a certain minimum required for a proper digivolution.
I just came up with that idea, but I think something at least somewhat in that direction would be interesting to look into.
Hit me up if you'd be interested.

I like the egg choice at the beginning. An egg for everyone of the official Digimon families would be nice, preferaby with the growth charts entwining into another so for examle one could get V-Dramon both from the Dragon egg and from the Bird egg. That way one could fill up empty spaces in the growth charts without different stat relations resulting in the same Digivolution.

Also, doesn't bad care affect the Digimons evolution at all? And what about the weight and Happiness? I think you can't really overfeed the Digimon in your game since it will stop eating when it is full. Or does it count as overfeeding when the food stays lying around?

As I just said, I'll be limited to the sprites in Digimon World: Championship, but I will look through the Pendulum's pets and try to include them all, if not more.

Thanks, that's great! Don't feel afraid to use some older graphics if there aren't any new ones.

The game is faster than the original pets, yes, but I did this because it is on the computer compared to being a small portable handheld which you could have with you all day. If it were the same speed as the original, you would have to keep the game on pretty much all day, which may not be a problem for many people, haha. So optional speeds would be nice and I'll look into that, though you wouldn't be able to change speeds mid-game, as I think that is what may have caused many problems versions previous to V1.2.

I assume you're right. But if the time I have to respond to a call is longer, if that even affects the Digimons evolution, then the higher game speed wouldn't be that much of a problem, although being able to regulate it would still be nice.

I found that annoying too... I'm sorry, :P I'll have to ask around and see if anything is possible, but I may be limited by Game Maker.

Isn't there perhaps a way I can set that up in my windows? Or an app for game-maker similar to the thing where it always stays the top window?

Thank you. :P I'm glad you enjoy the game. I hope to begin working on it very soon. I appreciate any ideas anyone has for improving the game, especially new battle system ideas. Thanks. ::lmao::

I don't really have many new battle system ideas.. how is battle handled in Digimon World Championship?
But if you want I would be happy to work on the growth charts with you, making them interesting and senseful. I'll send you my msn adress through pm, but I won't be home before this sunday, so then I'll be able to chat with you if you'd like =)

Also I'd be willing in trying to create my own sprites for missing Digimon if you show me what program I'd need.

Also as mentioned by some other people and me before, more variety on mini-games would be cool. One could look into the original Tamagotchis for this since they had multiple mini-games.

Edited by Zeitschleife, 15 May 2009 - 05:53 AM.

#7 edy666

edy666

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

no matter what I do I always end up with numemon or sukamon =/ , but i love this game so much^^

:(

#8 linx137520

linx137520

Graphics Designer

• 1284 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

Wow this is pretty awesome. Maybe there should be a pop-up message on whatever button your Mouse is over. At first i didnt know what some of the buttons did :(. Also i would like it if we could battle just random monsters, not just battling online.

Training-
Edit: Oh nevermind you can move. This is why there should be a tutorial :D, to explain what to do.

Edited by linx137520, 16 May 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#9 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:51 AM

Ah ok. So how about using the old sprites just for those Digimon missing in Digimon World Championship? Would result in some looking a bit less good than the others, but at least they would be included :)
Because I'm not sure what Digimon are included in the game, but from what I've read, the only starter you can get is Botamon >_> Or are there others included in the game later?

Well, that would look really odd... And there are much more fresh Digimon than just Botamon. I was thinking about maybe an option at the begining of the game to choose between old sprites or new ones.

An example for a new system might be always just judging the relation of the stats between each other instead of using certain levels. For example you have Koromon. If attack > Defense > Speed it evolves to Agumon, if Speed > Defense > Attack it evolves to Betamon etc.
Then a second counter for morality.. (No idea how one would regulate that, maybe through another mini-game that also increases the happiness when played or can only be played so and so often?), with respective stats for Vaccine/Data/Virus.
Evolving to a higher level would then simply give you a burst on the stats you have already been focussing on, in this example evolving to Agumon might give + 3 attack, +2 defense and +1 speed or something like that, or maybe a multiplicator?
That way you could have up to 36 different evolution options for one digimon (of course not always having to be that much), while still retaining a simple system that everyone is able to handle.
Weak Digimon like Numemon, Sukamon and Garbamon could come out when one stat is below a certain minimum required for a proper digivolution.
I just came up with that idea, but I think something at least somewhat in that direction would be interesting to look into.
Hit me up if you'd be interested.

That's actually how it is when you're digivolving from In-Training to Rookie, but I changed it when it came to digivolving to higher levels to meet certain stats or else digivolve into numemon/sukamon.

Also, doesn't bad care affect the Digimons evolution at all? And what about the weight and Happiness? I think you can't really overfeed the Digimon in your game since it will stop eating when it is full. Or does it count as overfeeding when the food stays lying around?

Bad care does effect digivolution a bit, but at the moment I don't think it effects it much, but instead lowers happiness. Hight happiness is required for high level Digimon, and it also determines the angel egg digivolutions. As for weight, at the moment weight does nothing. =/

I don't really have many new battle system ideas.. how is battle handled in Digimon World Championship?

In Digimon World Championship, the battles are completely hands-off. You simple sit there and watch your Digimon walk around the screen and occasionally attacking the others.

But if you want I would be happy to work on the growth charts with you, making them interesting and senseful. I'll send you my msn adress through pm, but I won't be home before this sunday, so then I'll be able to chat with you if you'd like =)

Growth chart help would be nice, thank you.

Also as mentioned by some other people and me before, more variety on mini-games would be cool. One could look into the original Tamagotchis for this since they had multiple mini-games.

I'll have to look into that. More mini-games would indeed make the game more fun.

#10 edy666

edy666

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 02:37 PM

when the game will be ready?

#11 WadeMcGillis

WadeMcGillis

wademcgillis.com

• GMC Member
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

Before I got a new computer near Christmas of 2007, I was using 5.3. I had to because my computer was running 98

#12 manola

manola

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

I had to because my computer was running 98
sonnerie portable gratuite

Edited by manola, 25 June 2009 - 09:13 AM.

#13 turtlefan

turtlefan

Hockey Goalie

• 264 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:03 AM

Hey this is great! I remember the old version of this you posted a while ago. This is a big improvement, especially graphics wise. (Although if I remember right, the old graphics were more like the original game.) I also ran into a few of the same bugs that were described in earlier posts. But I think that once you fix these issues the game will look very proffesional. I know I suggested in the last thread that you make it so the game can be snapped to the windows sidebar with vista. I still have no idea if that is even possible, but it would be cool if it is. The only problem I saw with this game is that I found it very hard to raise the pets happiness levels. Maybe make it so that your pet is happier more often and if its happiness levels do drop, you can increase them easier. That is really my only suggestion. Good luck with the rest of the game.

#14 Seth2318

Seth2318

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:12 PM

I downloaded the game, but for someone reason when it digivolves, my Botamon has the same sprite, it shows the new sprite for a few seconds, then it disappears.

#15 icky

icky

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

hey, i know this is only a demo and i'm so happy that SOMEONE decided to do something like this. here's my problems:

1. when i go to get a new egg (any except dino) after the digimon is hatched, like maybe 5 seconds, it's replace with the stats box.

Posted Image

anyway this can be fixed? it's working right for the dino egg just not any of the other eggs.

2. when Botamon evolves into koromon and koromon into Agumon, it still shows up as Botamon.

#16 cspunky

cspunky

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

im new to this game
how to speed up that game/time
and my wanyamon wont digivole >.< its 1 year and full happy :)

#17 Jordan_Danger

Jordan_Danger

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

Firstly, Just wanted to say good work to the guy who made this. Very well done.

I personally prefer 1.2beta too the demo, simply because of digimon imaging problems. I understand it'll be sweet when the beta comes out. Never mind that, 1.2 rocks :)

Just curious to when the new one will be out? If you need any help, let me know for I have a mate who works for good old EA games. He also loves it! Ah, the good old days!

Anywho, have a good one lad,

Regards,

Jordan Danger

#18 Jordan_Danger

Jordan_Danger

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

Okay seriously, Has anyone ever gotten a champion OTHER than the ****ing Virus Digimon????

#19 bobsnewaddress

bobsnewaddress

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hey, TwilightHero -- I had actually been thinking a lot about doing a project like this myself recently (and would if I knew anything at all about coding), and when I found out about your game and played your 1.2 Beta program I was amazed at how awesome it was.

I'd been thinking a lot about ideas for a fighting virtual pet game to recreate the Digimon I used to play with when I was a young kid on the computer & I've got lots of notes and ideas for interesting functions and game modes that weren't in the original, like being able to control up to 3 monsters at a time or being able to breed monsters with a friend.

If you think that I could be of any help to you on this project just email me at bobsnewaddress@hotmail.com. Like I said, I don't know much about coding, but I do think that I have some pretty good ideas if you'd like to hear them.

#20 Vulhar

Vulhar

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

pretty good so far, but i had a lot of issues with the graphics. i.e. when my aqua egg hatched, i had the stats menu button as my digimon's sprite, and when my dino egg moved on to its second form, it stayed as it's first form. I don't know if other people have had similar problems.

#21 xzeros

xzeros

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:04 AM

hi its wonderful i love digimon so much it is onething i want how can i know the ip of other players to play with them i hope you answer me and find solution

#22 _171007

_171007

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

i love it!!..every once in awhile i will search and search to find this website to see if you make any updates ...but other than that i have fun w\ what you have made thus far ! one question could this be put on a phone and or a DS?

#23 Doctor Phileas Fragg

Doctor Phileas Fragg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

I've had the same graphical problems as others.

#24 TwilightHero

TwilightHero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

I have completely restarted the Digimon project and am now working on a new version. It will be called version 2.0, but it won't look like this demo that I made long ago because the main goal of it is to be user friendly. Here is the topic of the new game:

http://gmc.yoyogames...=0#entry3597891

As for it ever being put on the cellphone or DS, game maker only works for the Windows operating system so someone else would have to start all over on some other programming language.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users