• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

I thought I would post this find:
game maker community

edit: old game

-acrog2

That is a bookmark, true nostalgia. ;)

It appears the original download page is still intact too.

#62 Weird Dragon

Weird Dragon

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1940 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

There were like 3 forums before this. They kept swapping the software. I may not have joined up, as the rate of swap was depressing, but I'm not as un-educated as I look.

-Schyler-

There were like 3 forums before this.

Aye, there was only one forum before this. ;)

It was on something called EZBoards or something. Sure, they changed the software (or updated it) and the theme of this board, but it's all the same thing. ;) if you check the rules, it still says the topics were made years ago, not two years ago. (when the change was made)

-Schyler- is right, there were a couple of fora in between EZBoard and this one. I was a member of them all. I joined Summer 2002 when the GMC was on EZBoard. There was a lot of advertisement since it was a free forum. Then at a certain point, when the amount of commercials started to get too much, Mark decided to pay for the EZBoard forum. That was very nice. Later on it was decided to create a new forum so you needed to re-register, well simply create an account. It was launched while the EZBoard forum was still active. After some time the posting possibilities on EZBoard were closed but the topics kept in existence so that people could read them. Later on the new forum had software difficulties and the EZBoard forum was reopened for a while until the new forum was ready again. I don't remember exactly how things went from there, but I far as I remember there were some troubles with the amount of traffic and yet another new forum was opened, but I don't remember the exact story. Then there were some months where I was inactive on GMC. When I came back this forum was established and running very well. So I created an account here and continued enjoying the life of GMC. Some years later I was invited to become a moderator and here I am enjoying Game Maker and the GMC.

Edit: By the way: The current forum was opened September 2003. You can deduct that because member number 1, Mark Overmars, joined 18-September 03.

Edit 2: Some time in the period between the EZBoard forum and the current forum a test forum was opened so that the possibilities could be tested before the forum was opened as a regular forum.

When I joined the EZBoard forum there was no restrictions in the signature size. As a result some members had huge pictures in their sig. That was a bit much when somebody posted a short reply and then a big part of the screen was filled with the signature. It was really nice when the limitations on the signature size was launched. That made it much easier to focus on the actual topic.

Edit 3: Corrected some typos (using "was" instead of "were" and vice versa).

Edited by Weird Dragon, 14 June 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#63 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:04 PM

Hummm...Interesting.

#64 MitchGraham

MitchGraham

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

Acrog, that space invaders game was clearly not even close to the first gm game, as someone replied to it, thanking for finally having a game sway out of the current platforming fad... Also, everyone who is talking about what the first FORUM is, take it to another forum. If you're trying to find out which forum the first gm game might have been posted in, then good thinking, but be more civil about it. Like weird dragon, facts only.

#65 Krisando

Krisando

GMC Member

• 1351 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

G4B Gaming for Boys. xD

Gaming for babies xD
Mark made an easy graphics tool for kids a long time ago, and playing with GM 1 it seems much better as an animation tool xD

I'm not sure you can call GM's first ever game much of a game Dx
I've not heard of a nice D&D made game =]

#66 wa1do_13

wa1do_13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

Im surprised this hasnt been closed yet. Its only a matter of time...

Here's a tip: NEVER say that. Moderators despise it. If you think a topic deserves closure, then REPORT IT. Speculating about moderator action is SPAM.

Anybody with half a brain can see that moderators have posted in this topic. Do you think we'd encourage discussion in a topic doomed to closure?

Oh, youre right. Sorry about that. :P

Haha, I love the subservience that moderators instill in others- if anyone else but a moderator/administrator had implied insult like that, you can bet your ay-ess-ess there'd be at least a little defense.

I think there's about a 99% chance Mark Overman or one of his friends, relatives, or coworkers (who all got to see the earliest builds of GM) created the first game with GM. Outside of those people, it becomes far too obscure, since it'd actually be the 40-something'th, and no one keep track that far in. So, without the power of Bruce Lee, I doubt that this can be answered.

#67 Krisando

Krisando

GMC Member

• 1351 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

I think there's about a 99% chance Mark Overman or one of his friends, relatives, or coworkers (who all got to see the earliest builds of GM) created the first

How about first GM commercial game =] That would be interesting.

#68 bearSoft

bearSoft

GMC Member

• 1002 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

eZboard.. now that brings back some mems.. ;O) and a LOT of popups.. ;/

:)

#69 Hach-Que

Hach-Que

RoketGames Admin

• 1490 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

I think there's about a 99% chance Mark Overman or one of his friends, relatives, or coworkers (who all got to see the earliest builds of GM) created the first

I'd be interested if you could find a source for the first GM commercial game.

I've put up a collection of text files in relation to the history of Game Maker. These are just what I've found tonight surfing the Web Archive and I plan to put up a proper timeline of events for Game Maker. If anyone has any information on Game Maker pre-01, that would be great if you could let me know (the Web Archive doesn't go back further than that).

http://www.gm-resources.com/history/

P.S. I copied Weird Dragon's post to a text file for later reference, hope you don't mind ^_^

#70 wa1do_13

wa1do_13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:32 AM

Yeah, that would be pretty interesting... that'd bring the list down to around 20 probably.

How about first great GM game? There's only around 30 of those today, wonder what the first one would be...

#71 prog

prog

GMC Member

• 1121 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:44 AM

Wow, I forgot I posted this. Anyway, is there a link to that etch a sketch program?

#72 theg721

theg721

G Dawg

• GMC Member
  • 1959 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

Wow, I forgot I posted this. Anyway, is there a link to that etch a sketch program?

If you're talking about the one I found, look on Internet archive. Go as far back in time as possible and you will find somewhere.

#73 benoit.rouleau

benoit.rouleau

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1530 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

If you guys want to see some real old GM games, look at my oldest games, made in 2000:

http://www.freewebz....itr007/lcdv.zip (Le Chef Des Vampires, in French)
http://www.freewebz....r007/gubble.zip (Gubble, also in French but less dialogues)
http://www.freewebz....07/vertrex1.zip (Vertrex, plays with the mouse, this game is so bad it's funny)

#74 gmx0

gmx0

The Messenger

• GMC Member
  • 1202 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

Lets get it straight.
I found this at the library. :D

Mark's ancestor, the Duke Overmars of Netherlands, created a vastly advanced machine way ahead of its time in the early 1600's. This was a slide show projector ala steampunk called Animo Genesis. But he created interactivity inspired by Da Vinci, and it was called a Maker of Games, or GM -1. The Duke then created a realistic spinning jack interaction, and it was shown at the Amsterdam Forum(a place where people meet). Unfortunately, the idea was branded heresy by the Catholic church, so the Duke had to scrap it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users