Conway's Game Of Life

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hello, some of you may know the Game of Life. For those of you who don't, this can get you started: Conway's Game of Life Wikipedia. I made this in about 2 1/2 hours so it didn't take long. The newest version takes the framerate from about 9 to around 22 to 23 (on my computer).
Controls
Left Click to create and delete cells.
Space to play/pause.

You may not find it that fun but on the wikipedia page there are some cool patterns that you can make. For those of you who know this I hope you like it.
Download Conway's Game of Life.exe

Updated Version: Posted Image

Edited by wiiowner, 24 April 2009 - 03:04 AM.

Completed Projects: Eco-Chrome || Conway's Game of Life - Update that triples framerate!
Scripts: Grid Based Lighting (With Dynamic Soft Shadows) || Mud Physics

#2 reigalius

reigalius

Generally Awesome

• 1170 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:44 AM

I love the Game of Life =P
Trying it now; I'll edit afterwards.

EDIT: Good, but glitches up at the sides. My glider changed to a block and my LWSS changed to a glider which changed to a block. Might want to fix that. Other than that it works. I tested all the formations I know of, plus some from wikipedia like the pulsar. I'll give it a 4/5 for doing what its supposed to. The other 1 is for the wall glitch.

EDIT2: Should add some extras like deleting the whole board (room_restart()) and auto-adding formations. Like click on the slider and it makes one for you.

EDIT3: Man I like to edit =P... Anyways I just though of something else - it should count how many generations it has been. I lost count around 60.

Edited by reigalius, 26 April 2009 - 03:57 AM.

#3 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

Thanks you. About those issues my main idea with those updates was to increase to speed to a playable speed. I am working on a huge update that will have the ability to edit how fast it goes, to clear the grid, possibly to make the grid bigger (I don't know what it treats the edges as so I don't know about that glitch), to save and load formations, and to finally edit the rules. All of those may not be in the next update but I hope to add them soon. May I also recommend a formation? You can try it in mine or in another (where the borders aren't so small) and it lasts over 1000 generations. Here it is in 1's and 0's (ones being a filled cell). It kinda hard to see but you'll know when you have it. Thanks for the comment!

[codebox]0000000
0000000[/codebox]
Completed Projects: Eco-Chrome || Conway's Game of Life - Update that triples framerate!

#4 PickleMan

PickleMan

Programmer

• 995 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

Nice, but Mark made an example of this...its on the old website...

#5 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hmm I didn't see that, could you provide a link if you have it?

#6 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Nice, but Mark made an example of this...It's on the old website...

It is also a flash game, and (probably) java game, too. No reason not to share it. :P

#7 PickleMan

PickleMan

Programmer

• 995 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

http://gamemaker.nl/..._edit6/life.zip

^The link^

Life is a very interesting game...(both versions).

I don't mean the board game, either.

#8 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for the link and the comments, I will probably take some tips from it on optimizing it and will release another version soon.

#9 PickleMan

PickleMan

Programmer

• 995 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

I'm glad to help, but don't thank me, thank Mark Overmars.

#10 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:10 AM

Well I checked it out and it's not bad but it seems that he gets better fps. I think it's because he only checks active parts of the grid, whereas mine checks everywhere. If you filled all of mine up there wouldn't really be a framerate dip. I will still optimize it so that it runs a lot better and so I can have a bigger grid.

#11 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

Well I checked it out and it's not bad but it seems that he gets better fps.

It does? But yours runs much faster..(Well, goes through the generations faster) EDIT: Nevermind..I didn't notice it was on room speed 5. 30 is REALLY FAST

Edited by makerofthegames, 27 April 2009 - 03:37 PM.

#12 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

Yeah I will try and optimize it after school today and I'll post if I get any improvements.