#1 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:46 AM

Who We Are

This originally started by the web site GM Interviews by PokemonSilverCrystal. I was put in charge of the magazine development, and along with me, Wombat handle the art and design, not to mention all the support that came from PokemonSilverCrystal. We will strive each month to deliver a new and hopefully improved issue over the previous.

About the Magazine

The magazine focuses on on game development using game maker, and developers from the GMC. This issue we offer 23 pages, and it's packed with...

-Three Interviews with fellow GMC members/developers

-Three tutorials, that have to do with beginner GML, beginner spriting methods, and a game design article that talks about connecting the player to the game through the main character.

This issue also features four in depth articles....

-Featured Development Team
-Featured Composer
-Featured Programmer
-Featured Pixel Artist

And a whole lot more!

Why

We thought this was a good idea at GM Interviews. We realized that we had been interviewing only general game developers, and thought about another way to recognize all developers including composers and artist. One month later, and here we are with GMDI magazine, which stands for Game Maker Developer's Insight.

Download

GMDI Magazine Issue #1

NOTE: Please do not use this topic to request for interviews, articles, reviews, etc... General comments on the magazine only please. This is because we don't want this topic to be littered with request, if you want to be interviewed and want to get involved please check the back of the magazine in the Ending Letter.

KNOWN ERRORS:
There is a problem in between the Interview section, and the Featured section. The problem is there is another featured sign in between the two sections, we have tried to remove it but are attempts have failed. If you find any errors with the magazine, then please report them.

We will may be needing more help with next issue as well, if your interested you can PM me or PokemonSilverCrytal. Please do not use this topic to apply for a position.

EDIT: PickleMan has joined the staff, and we are currently in early development of Issue #2. We plan for Issue #2 to be a lot more satisfying graphics wise with even more content.

-LC

Edited by LarsonCreativity, 23 April 2009 - 01:04 AM.

LarsonCreativity

#2 Alhazad

Alhazad

GMC Member

• 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for featuring us at EkIchi in the magazine. Everyone of the team members are stoked!

We'll possibly be craving another interview in the future with a very much updated version of SpherEternity. We'll be looking for the next issue!

- Alhazad

"Sometimes to advance the future....one must go back."
*Thanks rpgjunkie for the logo.*

#3 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:58 AM

Pretty good issue. Lots of information to read off of. I also like how the games you featured in the article aren't too common, and have some diversity in them.

Two problems: The design. Looks a bit ugly with the text ending so close to the blue image border, but I understand that the design is probably under construction. Second thing is the D&D article; there's a flaw in the code.
{instance_create(50,60,object0)
object0.direction=180
object0.speed=5}
This should be:
{
var i;
i=instance_create(50,60,object0);
i.direction=180;
i.speed=5;
}
Or something along the lines of that. Using object0 just changes the direction and speed variables of the object0 with the lowest instance id (basically the first one created).

Anyways, besides the design and some info problems, it's a nice start.

#4 PSC159

PSC159

GMC Member

• 1207 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

Oh right! Duh! I forgot the var code. Darn... ;(
*The Unknown Ninja* - Graphics
MovieCrystalProductions -> Click it!

#5 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:20 AM

I can fix the code and upload another version of the mag with the updated code tomorrow. Yes I agree the text ended too close to the border, but that was one of the problems when we converted it to a pdf, and we will be sure to watch out for it in the future.
LarsonCreativity

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:17 AM

Nice touch to delay mt interview and to put it into a magazine. I thought PokemonSilver had forgot lol.

Edited by King Tetiro, 21 April 2009 - 05:17 AM.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#7 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

I have updated the code in the Learning GML article, thanks Snail. I also have fixed some other errors as well. Please, continue to comment on the magazine.
LarsonCreativity

#8 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:02 AM

pretty decent design, reminds me of the 1st pgm kinda.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#9 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Thank you for your feedback HCG...
LarsonCreativity

#10 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

Content-wise it's pretty good, I like how you are talking more on the development side of Game Maker, rather then discussing games, and game maker itself. Most of the GM magazines around right now have a bit of that, but it's good to see one that focuses on the development of GM games completely, and the developers behind it.

Graphically-wise, it's pretty weak. It's hard to see headers and titles, it's all one column (uncommon for most magazines) an there is no margin inside the blue gradient box. The title just has the big words "GMDI" and no actual cover graphic, which is a bit disappointing. I would try to find some kind of graphical designer to make the magazine look a bit nicer.

I don't have the time to give it a thorough read right now, but will try to in the future.

Cheers,
Drazzke.

Noel Berry | Portfolio | Twitter | Leap4Blue
Game Maker | PHP/MYSQL | HTML/CSS | Flash/AS3

#11 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

Thank you, we are planning to up the graphics wise a lot in the issues to come. We did not focus on the graphics as much this time around, because we were setting a foundation for content, which is hard to do when starting out. Now that we have the foundation down we can focus more time on the graphics.
LarsonCreativity

#12 PickleMan

PickleMan

Programmer

• 995 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

I just want to let everyone know that I have joined the GMDI team.

#13 toadfrogs

toadfrogs

Filipino Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

Good thing my interview is in there, :)
I'll be making an article(I hope) for the 2nd issue of this magazine.
http://roancontreras.zxq.net
Games and arts portfolio by me.

#14 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

If you want to make an article for issue two, then please don't hesitate to contact me...
LarsonCreativity

#15 Nijg

Nijg

Caleb Cuzner

• GMC Member
  • 1166 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 25 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

I see that you put my interview in there.

Compared to what I've heard about in other magazines (I've never actually read a Game Maker magazine before,) this magazine seems quite original as it isn't just one of those magazines that highlights games that people made and other overly-used topics. This magazine is a very original idea as it focuses not on the productions, but the people creating the productions. This makes the magazine actually seem appealing, unlike most Game Maker magazines I've heard of.

#16 pgg

pgg

GMC Member

• 321 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:04 PM

Compared to what I've heard about in other magazines (I've never actually read a Game Maker magazine before,) this magazine seems quite original as it isn't just one of those magazines that highlights games that people made and other overly-used topics. This magazine is a very original idea as it focuses not on the productions, but the people creating the productions. This makes the magazine actually seem appealing, unlike most Game Maker magazines I've heard of.

How can you compare this publication with ones you haven't read? GameMaker Tech always has features on game development as well as game reviews.

#17 Nijg

Nijg

Caleb Cuzner

• GMC Member
  • 1166 posts
  • Version:GM6

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

How can you compare this publication with ones you haven't read? GameMaker Tech always has features on game development as well as game reviews.

I'm not saying all game maker magazines are unoriginal, I'm just saying I've heard that a lot are.

#18 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8808 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

I'm not saying all game maker magazines are unoriginal, I'm just saying I've heard that a lot are.

If you are going to comment and compare this magazine to others, then read the magazines you are comparing it to.

You are perfectly capable of downloading these other magazines, forming your own opinion and commenting based on your first-hand experience. Commenting, not once but twice, about what you heard is idiotic.

If the Bible truly is inspired by God, you would think that somebody as omnipotent and all-knowing would have known to get his message out using TCP instead of UDP.

#19 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

I have read other magazines, like GM Tech, and I must say that GMDI is different. We focus only on developers, and offer more information in that sense. Where is GM Tech gives a little bit of everything. We do not review games, where GM Tech, and most other GM Magazines do. On that same note, we feature development teams, spriters, composers, programmers, and have more general interviews as well...

GM Tech is a very well put together magazine, but they don't offer the same kind of content that we do, at least not the same volume of content. We focus solely on developers and development, and no other GM magazine does.

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#20 x360users

x360users

GMC Member

• 65 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

Had a quick look. Nice write-up, but the presentation/background was ****.
Wire Games Studio

#21 Gupocca

Gupocca

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

I haven't the time to read the whole thing right now, but at first glance the content looks like it is well written and it appears that you have some interesting subjects you discuss. I'm not going to be learning much from the "Learning..." articles, but it's thoughtful of you to include things like that for people who wish to start using GM.

As stated prior to this post, you do indeed need to work on the presentation of your magazine. You probably should have delayed the release of your first issue until you could get some better graphics, as it is the community's first impression, but it's not as if you can change that at this point. For your next issue, though, try incorporating multiple columns like drazzke suggested and make the cover page bolder. You also should not only consider changing your background, but the new one should also have more contrast with the text above it. If you look at most magazines, if their text is a standard black, they usually will have a pretty light color, or white, for their content background. This does not mean you need to use black text, however, and you should be creative with your color choices.

#22 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

I'm not going to be learning much from the "Learning..." articles, but it's thoughtful of you to include things like that for people who wish to start using GM.

Yes, the learning articles are more geared towards beginners...Though in later issues we might include more advance tutorials, but that is yet to be decided.

As stated prior to this post, you do indeed need to work on the presentation of your magazine. You probably should have delayed the release of your first issue until you could get some better graphics, as it is the community's first impression, but it's not as if you can change that at this point. For your next issue, though, try incorporating multiple columns like drazzke suggested and make the cover page bolder. You also should not only consider changing your background, but the new one should also have more contrast with the text above it. If you look at most magazines, if their text is a standard black, they usually will have a pretty light color, or white, for their content background. This does not mean you need to use black text, however, and you should be creative with your color choices.

I have already chose a new design for the magazine. It looks much more attractive, and there are separate columns, new background, new title page with logo, etc... It will be much more appealing, I assure you.

Thanks for your input...

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#23 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Interesting content, although the background Could use some help.
maybe try to make a page layout that reads side to side (like a read magazine) instead of up and down (like a text document).

#24 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:31 AM

maybe try to make a page layout that reads side to side (like a read magazine) instead of up and down (like a text document).

Do you mean something like...

This And
Is Text
Some Is
Text Cool

Sorry for the kinda marginal example. It is suppose to say "This Is Some Text And Text Is Cool". Sorta like columns?

~LC~

Edited by LarsonCreativity, 01 May 2009 - 01:35 AM.

LarsonCreativity

#25 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:37 AM

Do you mean something like...

This and
Is text
Some is
Text cool

~LC~

Lol, I sort of meant

aaa aaa  |  bbb  ccc
aaa	  |		 
aaa bbb  |  ccc  ddd
aaa bbb  |  ccc  ddd
aaa bbb  |  ccc  ddd

/|\
-|
see how the "article" starts on one page and continues on the next page?

Edited by Caniac, 01 May 2009 - 01:41 AM.

#26 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:09 AM

That would be neat, but I am not sure how I would do it really. I will see what I can do though...

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#27 Caniac

Caniac

The #1 Caniac

• 2622 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

LOL
make the pages scroll up and down vertically in the pdf file, but make it so that if you printed it you could staple it like a magazine.

#28 PickleMan

PickleMan

Programmer

• 995 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:20 AM

There is a way to do that with Adobe Reader

#29 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:00 AM

Either way, it's too late to implement this. For the layout is already decided.
LarsonCreativity

#30 Drewdelz

Drewdelz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1056 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

The blue-grid BG can get a little repetitive, why not switch it up?
Plus the grid makes reading text slightly irritating.

I'd also like more visuals, like screenshots or boarders maybe.

Keep up the good work!

#31 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thank you for your comments.

We do intend to have a drastic makeover for the next issue, and were also looking to add more visuals.

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#32 ThatSnail

ThatSnail

That Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1036 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:59 AM

I just rechecked your code fix, and it's still wrong.
i.direction
Where i is the instance id, and direction is the local variable in the scope of i. Then again, this issue is pretty old now, so there's not much reason to fix it if the new one is coming soon.

We do intend to have a drastic makeover for the next issue, and were also looking to add more visuals.

I've noticed about these GM magazines is that the visuals sometimes clutter out the text. The layout should be very clean so that readability is put in high priority (over graphics). So if you're adding more visuals, try to add a border or something that would act as a transition between the visual and the magazine color scheme. And also keep it a bit away from the text.

Just some suggestions, really; I'm no expert at this, but I really think that that's what makes the presentations of the more well-known GM magazines like GMTech and MarkUp look good.