48 replies to this topic

#1 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

I received a complaint from one of the forum members a few weeks ago about the Graphics Forum. This particular complaint called for the creation of a sub-forum for each of the specific uses for this forum, one for requests, one for people offering their services, etc. And while I feel that we're not yet at the point where we have to split up this forum into smaller pieces, I have observed a few things that bother me, and which I think need to change.

To get straight to the point, there are a fair amount of request topics here that I feel are too general to qualify as legitimate requests. These topics usually go something like these:

I'm making an RPG / MMO, and I need weapons, armor, tiles, and HUD graphics, so make whatever you want and I will use it!

I'm making a Pokemon game and I want all the Pokemon you can make, any size, shape, or color will do!

I don't have any ideas for the characters in my game yet, so you can make whatever you want!

These topics don't usually give specifics on content, sizes, colors, views, etc. They call on people to create and post whatever they want, and turn into a huge mess of people posting random images, discussing game design with people who aren't working on the game, and generally not doing anything productive. There are no criteria for completing the request, so the topic goes on and on and on, bumping very reasonable and legitimate requests downwards.

I know that not everyone can have a popular topic or get all the help they need here, but these topics are bloat, and just make the problem worse. This needs to stop.

So from now on, I'd like to see newly created topics have clearly defined requests. Follow the guidelines posted in the pinned topics. List everything you need, and update the list as necessary. If you haven't decided what your game is going to be about yet, you shouldn't be getting other people involved yet. It's not fair for you to waste their time in creating graphics that you might not want, and it's not fair for the rest of the people on this forum who need help too, and deserve to have their topic seen by others.

For topics that already exist, you should clean up your first post within the next week.

Feel free to post your thoughts about this below. I want the graphics forum to be a fun and interesting place for everyone here, but I also want it to be helpful. If there is enough demand, I may also be willing to attach a poll to this topic to see what everyone thinks. Thanks for reading, and thanks for helping to make the Graphics Forum a better place. ;)

#2 tacopie981

tacopie981

GMC Member

• 131 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

Sorry about the NON descriptive request

Can you re-open it or something so I can fix it?

or

Can I post a new topic?

Edited by tacopie981, 17 April 2009 - 05:48 PM.

I'm back(I've been gone for a few months sorry)!!!

#3 A saurus1

A saurus1

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 1609 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

I second this. The graphics forum is filled with these kind of requests. I'm okay with topics where the user has provided a template or something and asks sprites to give it clothing/armor and stuff (and that's stretching it), but no template and no description of the game or what the sprite should look like is very non-committal and does not make you look helpful or informative in any way shape or form.

#4 yodudez

yodudez

NoD Moderator

• 1220 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Great, this definitely needed to be implemented. Great job FF.
Enormous over-sized signature removed by moderator.

This is the THIRD time you've been warned about following the signature rules.

Your account is disabled until further notice.

#5 onpon4

onpon4

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1175 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

I'm just afraid that this will make absolutely no difference. This statement is powerful, but it doesn't mean that the mods' ability to remove these types of topics is any greater. No human can ever be perfect, and no machine can ever prevent the problem.

#6 yodudez

yodudez

NoD Moderator

• 1220 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

I agree. I suggest more moderators be recruited, or strict laws agains undescriptive topics be impleminted.

#7 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

Well, there is no way to prevent these topics from being created. But I will do my best to ensure that any that are created are either fixed or removed, and the hope there is that eventually people will understand the rule and the forum will self-police itself, in a sense.

#8 fawful

fawful

dear leader

• GMC Member
  • 1321 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Since Fred is planning on enforcing it,i can really see it being a big help to the graphic artists doing these requests here.

So yeah,awesome work,Fred.

FABULOUS

#9 threezeros000

threezeros000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

3 cheers for Fred!

This idea is well...good!

And how about there is a form on some kind of that asks if your topic is about Request, Service, Critique etc.

And if it falls under the Request part, it has to be approved by a moderator before showing?

Im just thinking out loud (umm...out words?) but it could work.

#10 Flipbee9

Flipbee9

The Stinger

• 1533 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

About time someone did this!
GM User Since 07

#11 threezeros000

threezeros000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

Nothing has been done yet its just an idea.

#12 photocopier

photocopier

GMC Member

• 765 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

The only problem I can see is that this is pinned so no-one will read it :)
gah

#13 Opium_RX

Opium_RX

GMC Member

• 734 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

yeah thats sort of a problem, most people ignore the pinned requests, and yes we need to enforce the requests standards....it gets pretty annoying always asking what size, style etc.
Nation Of Design
OpiumRX elite artist/admin

#14 yodudez

yodudez

NoD Moderator

• 1220 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Pinning it is the only way to keep it on top of all the other posts...Well except bumping the topic every hour :D

#15 x-death

x-death

Flash Developer

• GMC Member
  • 3402 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:33 AM

maybe admins should make something were users aren't able to use there accounts until they have read the rules thread once its been read and you leave the thread account becomes usable. it would at least mean people will know were the thread is. whether they choose to read it is up to them, but its just another way of inforcing them i guess.

however this would only work if it was placed on the creation of new threads. for existing users mods would be better of closing any topic that doesn't follow these rules and PM'ing the user telling them they must follow the rules.

just an idea but i think it would work.

Edited by x-death, 20 April 2009 - 03:34 AM.

If your interested in having a flash website programmed for you at a cheap price. you can message me!

Resources: My Pack
My Galleries: Deviant Art, Pixel Joint
Examples: Pausing System, External Loading
Guides: Pixel Art, Creating Games, Reviewing Games
Games: A.C.W, Thunder God, Ip Utility, Rocketive

#16 Stubbjax

Stubbjax

RandomGuy General

• GMC Member
  • 4208 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:36 AM

maybe admins should make something were users aren't able to use there accounts until they have read the rules thread once its been read and you leave the thread account becomes usable. it would at least mean people will know were the thread is. whether they choose to read it is up to them, but its just another way of inforcing them i guess.

however this would only work if it was placed on the creation of new threads. for existing users mods would be better of closing any topic that doesn't follow these rules and PM'ing the user telling them they must follow the rules.

just an idea but i think it would work.

I don't think that is possible. You cannot make someone READ something. It's just like the terms and conditions that appear on software and stuff. Nobody reads those.
2qi1d8l.jpg

#17 Fury

Fury

GMC Member

• 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

Yeah. But even without that, it is stopping the flow of crappy topics.

It's a good rule and it's working.

#18 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:37 AM

You can't change the ways of vast majority of people roaming the forum, but you can influence them. We should be strict, and we should close the topics that don't give enough information. I'm in favor of this, but do we have enough moderators to see this rule through. The immature member to moderator ratio is overwhelming to say the least. But, we need to take a stand before things get out of hand.

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#19 PSC159

PSC159

GMC Member

• 1207 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

I agree with LarsonCreativity. We need to take a stand.

~PSC
*The Unknown Ninja* - Graphics
MovieCrystalProductions -> Click it!

#20 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:16 AM

This definitely is true. I don't really like requests like 'Make anything you want, and I'll stuff it in my game!'.

This would be great to implement a new sub-forum for people to request and one where people can offer their services, since there is no downside to it, and people can find graphics shops much easier.

EDIT: Since this is pinned, not many will see this topic, since April 17 is quite far away, and not many have replied.

Edited by daman123125, 28 April 2009 - 01:17 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#21 llama man

llama man

NOD Logo Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1592 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Another way to do this would to include a form you would have to fill out when posting a new thread... No idea if the forum engine/whatever can do this though..

#22 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

How about new topics are checked by a mod before they are made publicly available? I know this is at work in other forums, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work in graphics too (apart from the fact that topics may take too long too be aired) but it only takes a few seconds to check if a topic is correctly created.
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

My Forum Fic (currently on prologue + ten chapters)

#23 Opium_RX

Opium_RX

GMC Member

• 734 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

and the gfx forum is the busyest part of the WHOLE forum is the issue you would need like 30 people to constantly keep approving stupid kiddy requests....just because they cant even search for it or cant use google....
Nation Of Design

#24 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

I always thought Novice and Intermediate Users was the busiest, and a mod would only need to glance over it, and not every post, just new threads.
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

#25 Opium_RX

Opium_RX

GMC Member

• 734 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

yeah but when you take into consideration that theres like 20 new threads every day or less would get time consuming since admins have better things to do....like real life.
Nation Of Design

#26 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

I only need take 5 seconds to tell if a request is correctly described. 20 * 5 = 100.

Is 1 minute 40 seconds every day too much to ask to make the graphics forum so much cleaner?
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

#27 Sn1per809

Sn1per809

• GMC Elder
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

I only need take 5 seconds to tell if a request is correctly described. 20 * 5 = 100.

Is 1 minute 40 seconds every day too much to ask to make the graphics forum so much cleaner?

Although I don't heavily oppose the idea, I would prefer members to make the choices themselves. It isn't that hard to Approve or disapprove a topic, but at the same time, it isn't that hard to just make a nicely detailed post in the first place.
Indeed...

#28 LarsonCreativity

LarsonCreativity

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:13 AM

Although I don't heavily oppose the idea, I would prefer members to make the choices themselves. It isn't that hard to Approve or disapprove a topic, but at the same time, it isn't that hard to just make a nicely detailed post in the first place.

I agree with you Sn1per. We shouldn't have to rely on moderators to approve or disapprove our topics. Sure, it would help, but is it really necessary? People should be able to self approve themselves. They are the ones that need the graphics...not the mods.

~LC~
LarsonCreativity

#29 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:40 AM

^ the problem here isn't the difficulty of doing so though. There are plenty of users that DO make good topics. The problem lies in the users that don't.

Wanderlust: Rebirth Beta Tester

#30 armymenis12

armymenis12

"Tennis Addict"

• 1040 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:09 AM

I think such topics have always been a problem here. And I also want to ask if that rule "the graphics forums in not an art gallery" is still in force. Lately I've been seeing people posting topics that go:

Hey, so I made this tile set and I am not going to use it, so here, have it:

Not everyone wants the tile set and it bumps down legitimate requests! I feel this is another form of forum bloat and should be dealt with accordingly.

In one such topic, the creator made several bumps over the course of months. It really annoyed me because the tile set itself was very just mediocre and there was no purpose in bumping the thread other than gaining attention and getting critique.

Sig by Nikc-Nack

#31 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:34 AM

I completely agree with this! I rarely use the graphics forum but I do (every so often) help out and create things for people, and most topics are a bit of a joke... I´d certainly help out more if the OP´s seemed to have a real project and not just ambition... As for enforcing the change, there is a report button on all posts, so, like in the other forums, the community can police itself...

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#32 armymenis12

armymenis12

"Tennis Addict"

• 1040 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

I completely agree with this! I rarely use the graphics forum but I do (every so often) help out and create things for people, and most topics are a bit of a joke... I´d certainly help out more if the OP´s seemed to have a real project and not just ambition... As for enforcing the change, there is a report button on all posts, so, like in the other forums, the community can police itself...

Yeah, in an ideal world, everyone would have a project they would actually stick to 'til the end. :P

Sig by Nikc-Nack

#33 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

I made sprites for a person willing to make some sort of carnival game, but of course, he never finished it...

When you see a topic promising a nice game, you feel inclined to help. But this excludes all the "N3xt B35t MM0RPG 1n D3v3l0pm3nt!!!!!1111 N33d Gr4ph1c5!!!!111" and similar noobie fantasies. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#34 cool gamer 76

cool gamer 76

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 394 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:17 AM

I received a complaint from one of the forum members a few weeks ago about the Graphics Forum. This particular complaint called for the creation of a sub-forum for each of the specific uses for this forum, one for requests, one for people offering their services, etc. And while I feel that we're not yet at the point where we have to split up this forum into smaller pieces, I have observed a few things that bother me, and which I think need to change.

To get straight to the point, there are a fair amount of request topics here that I feel are too general to qualify as legitimate requests. These topics usually go something like these:

I'm making an RPG / MMO, and I need weapons, armor, tiles, and HUD graphics, so make whatever you want and I will use it!

I'm making a Pokemon game and I want all the Pokemon you can make, any size, shape, or color will do!

I don't have any ideas for the characters in my game yet, so you can make whatever you want!

These topics don't usually give specifics on content, sizes, colors, views, etc. They call on people to create and post whatever they want, and turn into a huge mess of people posting random images, discussing game design with people who aren't working on the game, and generally not doing anything productive. There are no criteria for completing the request, so the topic goes on and on and on, bumping very reasonable and legitimate requests downwards.

I know that not everyone can have a popular topic or get all the help they need here, but these topics are bloat, and just make the problem worse. This needs to stop.

So from now on, I'd like to see newly created topics have clearly defined requests. Follow the guidelines posted in the pinned topics. List everything you need, and update the list as necessary. If you haven't decided what your game is going to be about yet, you shouldn't be getting other people involved yet. It's not fair for you to waste their time in creating graphics that you might not want, and it's not fair for the rest of the people on this forum who need help too, and deserve to have their topic seen by others.

For topics that already exist, you should clean up your first post within the next week.

Feel free to post your thoughts about this below. I want the graphics forum to be a fun and interesting place for everyone here, but I also want it to be helpful. If there is enough demand, I may also be willing to attach a poll to this topic to see what everyone thinks. Thanks for reading, and thanks for helping to make the Graphics Forum a better place. ;)

I agree. However, the thought of a post turning into a huge mess of people posting random images, discussing game design with people who aren't working on the game, and generally not doing anything productive sounds funny. :P

Edited by cool gamer 76, 12 May 2010 - 04:27 AM.

Hi! go to my Youtube Channel!
I don't smoke. Do you? If not put this in your signature.

#35 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, in an ideal world, everyone would have a project they would actually stick to 'til the end. :(

That depends on who's ideal world it is; some people enjoy not finishing projects, then imagining all the angry expressions on peoples' faces.
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

#36 RamboFox

RamboFox

Tainted Fortune

• 992 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

<snip>

You forgot about

HAI GUIS I LIEK HALO SO I'M MAKING A HALO FANGAME HYUK HYUK, DERP HURR DERP AND I NEED LOTS OF SPRITES LOLOLOLOLOL

So I made a masterthread, and I was wondering whether there should be a "special catagory" part of the pinned topics - the Master Threads if you will. These masterthreads will take care of the most requested material (RPG sprites/Halo sprites/Platform sprites/etc...)

Edited by RamboFox, 22 May 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#37 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:53 AM

I´d certainly help out more if the OP´s seemed to have a real project and not just ambition

I totally agree with that statement, but then again, if the OP has a "real" project, and no just ambition, they'd probably have capable spriters doing the work themselves, since unless you get all the sprites from one person, the styles are going to be mixed and whatnot, and the quality may not be the best.

It's all a learning experience though, I suppose.

#38 Xcure

Xcure

GMC Member

• 44 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

Just search on google "pokémon sprites" B-)

#39 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Just search on google "pokémon sprites" B-)

Yes, of course, this is a possibility, unless you don't want to get grilled for copyright infringement. B-)
Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

#40 beeproductions

beeproductions

Helping gmc users

• GMC Member
  • 1322 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Uhm i think that it will be great if the graphics will be split in 2..one with resources(people who post theyr sprites for everyone)and one for requests(where you request).:)

col-img1.pngcol-img4.png

bannersig.png

#41 Nikc-Nack

Nikc-Nack

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2141 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

I have a suggestion. Whenever requesting at a shop and you see the shop is closed. DON'T leave a post saying something like this:
"I know you're closed, but I'm requesting anyways"
I just ignor peoples requets when I closed. It is really annoying.
And then if you begin to nag about yours not being done, I may throw a fit!
Indie is.ME
NNIARFAPTILMTAIK = nikc-nack is a really freakin awsome person that I love more than anyone I know
People say I use "..." too much in my post. I don't understand...
American soldiers do not fight because they hate what is in front of them, but because they love what is behind them
People sleep peaceably in thier beds at night because brave men are willing to do voilence on thier behalf. -George Orwell

#42 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Uhm i think that it will be great if the graphics will be split in 2..one with resources(people who post theyr sprites for everyone)and one for requests(where you request).:)

I don't think there are enough topics that offer resources for a resource section.

@Nikc
Still, the offenders probably won't read your post, and they won't stop.

#43 Sn1per809

Sn1per809

• GMC Elder
  • 559 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

I don't think there are enough topics that offer resources for a resource section.

@Nikc
Still, the offenders probably won't read your post, and they won't stop.

I was actually quite keen on the idea of a sub-forum for like teams etc. It would work similar to the Team Request Forum as in you could only have one team, and if you wanted it closed then you could request it from a moderator. That way, if you have a specific request you could select your favorite team or a team that actually does that kind of art and if you didn't care who did it, you could post it in the main forum. I personally thought the idea would maybe organize things a little better. Who knows, does anyone have anything to say in regards to something like that?

Sn1per~
Indeed...

#44 Ethelon

Ethelon

GM Artist

• 1094 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

You mean like a subforum for shops?

And by saying like the Team Request Forum, do you mean that replies wouldn't be allowed?

It could work, but I'm pretty neutral about it as a whole, but by all means, I say go for it. I think it'd encourage people to create more "shop" topics to help with sprites. The only concern I have is the dedication of some "team/shops." A lot of them are short lived.

#45 Me the III

Me the III

...No.

• 859 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Sn1per, I personally think that something like that would be an incredible boon to the graphics section of the community. I always felt a little "shunned" when I requested a graphic, and it was on the second page "only" because the entire first page was filled to the brim with teams asking for work. It felt (not ALL the time, but once or twice) like I had to actually post on a team's topic just to get my sprite noticed (of course, the sprites were almost all high quality anyway).

But, I believe that by splitting it up, you would definitely get rid of the issue I have always felt with teams about "taking up" the precious first-page topic space.

It's not an issue, but it'd be a nice addition in my opinion.
I need 16 by 16 sprites, 'cause I'm working on a game...

Fake Link

#46 Guest_RockmanXD_*

Guest_RockmanXD_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

How about removing the topics and giving people warning points? If the topic contain any greedy in general details about forming a game unready or just asking for in-game materials and wasting other people's time. The mods have the right to suspend the user account for a certain amount of days.

#47 AhmedElyamani

AhmedElyamani

Yamani

• GMC Member
  • 1902 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

If this topic was made to put suggestions to make this forum better .. then i must say my opinions :

1- have more than a mod around here cuz this place needs mods
2-Make some graphics competitions , this will be way fun .. and it will build up graphics skills

That's all Posted Image
Thanks..

#48 vladimirgitnik

vladimirgitnik

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Kia Ora

So this is a place for you guys to pimp out your awesome TH Images/Graphics. Anything you have made, any manips, any wallpapers etc.

Please remember no 18 content is allowed.

If you are going to use someones work, please ask them nicely first and then credit them.

Feel free to start up your own thread for your work if you want.

Enjoy

#49 Jster391

Jster391

Artist 4 Life

• GMC Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Where would shops that create things like logos, tile sets, and sprites go? Along with the requests section?