• 191 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

Info:
GM7
2.12 MB
Full screen 720x720 window

Premise:
Snatch is an action puzzle adventure starring a bandit raccoon by the same name. The object of the game is to collect your stolen loot from your rivals, the Munkees. As you collect your items, you will regain some of your abilities in order to pass from area to area more easily.

Content:
Out of the total 125 rooms, there are roughly 90 rooms to explore in this demo. There are 4 bosses so far, 6 items to collect and 11 loot bags out of 25.

Basic controls:
As you collect more items, you will be prompted to change your key setup or keep the default. You can always check in game which keys are bound to what by pressing Esc to enter your menu screen.

Default Keyboard Keys:
Jump = Up Arrow
Crawl = Down Arrow
Left = Left Arrow
Right = Right Arrow

Default Gamepad Buttons: (as of this demo, gamepad controls can not be customized)
Jump = 3
Crawl = DPad Down
Left = DPad Left
Right = DPad Right

Snatch's movement keys can be customized using any letter on the keyboard, arrow keys, shift, alt, space, ctrl, and any of the digits on the numpad. Enter and Escape are reserved for menu and dialog control and arrow keys are used to navigate all menus.

DOWNLOAD:

Snatch Demo 0.1
(Do not remove files from the folder, doing so will render your game unsaveable)

Screenshots:
SnatchSS1
SnatchSS2
SnatchSS3
SnatchSS4
SnatchSS5

Planned for next release:

Intro movie of some sort
More rooms
More items
More bosses
Better grappling hook animation
Bugfixes (if any are needed)
Ideas from the GMC community
Better dialog (fairly poor as of right now)

Please help make this game better by posting feedback and bug reports. I appreciate your help and hope you enjoy the game!

Edit: Accidentally deleted the image.

Edited by RCCarThief, 17 April 2009 - 09:44 PM.

Wraxul Gaming Site
If I've given you feedback on your game, please give one of mine a try and return the favor! Thanks in advance!

#2 walkerqaz

walkerqaz

Regular Guy

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

I found it funny :ph34r:

#3 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

Good to hear...er read. :ph34r:

How far did you get? The game saves whenever you exit, find an item or run out of lives. Each file shows a percentage of the game completed. 40% of the game's content is in this demo, see how far you can get!

Wraxul Gaming Site
If I've given you feedback on your game, please give one of mine a try and return the favor! Thanks in advance!

#4 iluvfuz

iluvfuz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1452 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:55 AM

The graphics are nice, but can be very repetitive. It's pretty fun to play, but it should be a little more though-provoking or challenging. The game overall feels very smooth and professional. 8.5/10!

Edited by iluvfuz, 17 April 2009 - 03:56 AM.

#5 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

Thank you for the feedback iluvfuz. I figured the background and blocks would get repetitive, I was thinking of at least changing some of the lower rooms to a darker shade and adding some variety to the blocks. The majority of rooms outside the bounds of this release are a little less...cavey. It's funny, I toned down some of the rooms' challenges because I was afraid it'd be too difficult. I see now I should have done the opposite! I hope you got to see some of the later rooms, they're a little more challenging than the first dozen or so. I'll get on upping the difficulty for the next release. (and probably make the bosses more interesting)

Thanks again for the feedback, and please everyone, let me know how far you get! This will help me gauge the learning curve.

Wraxul Gaming Site

#6 pokerazor

pokerazor

GMC Member

• 645 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:50 AM

(italian accent)nerrry nice, the levels are exiting and dificult. You might want to add a tutorial, and the intro music is a little load, but it does look professional.
get anime art here games:release of the flying machines
I'm sick of these anti-rap, signatures... I love all types of music, but rap is witty, and funny. You don't have to be a jerk to listen.

#7 candc32

candc32

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

I like this game, good solid engine, nice graphics, finished it, you could make some money ;)
GM wips:
my name is c and c 32 please don't confuse it.
need to find your LAN IP, and not your external one? click here
:GM7: für immer

#8 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Much thanks for the feedback!

@pokerazor - I was thinking of adding a tutorial, and I probably will now that you said that. My only concern is that I don't want to explain how to use all the items before you get them. Maybe a mini tutorial in the beginning and then another one each time you acquire a new item.

@candc32 - Glad you liked it! I had considered making both my current projects commercial, but I think I'll keep money out of the picture at least until they're both complete and polished.

Thanks again for the comments!

Wraxul Gaming Site

#9 pokerazor

pokerazor

GMC Member

• 645 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:37 PM

that sounds like a good idea. the game needs an extra character to show you the ropes.
get anime art here games:release of the flying machines
I'm sick of these anti-rap, signatures... I love all types of music, but rap is witty, and funny. You don't have to be a jerk to listen.

#10 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:54 AM

Any more feedback before the next release?

Wraxul Gaming Site

#11 mws_1991

mws_1991

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

Loved this game from the beginning!

Only minor error i had was when changing rooms... If you jump up through the roof into the next room you need to land to the left or the right. However when you make the player change rooms the loose their hspeed making it nearly impossible to do this...

As for the ideas on tutorials... I'd say have one at the beginning. Make it as if the player needs to steel a big diamond or some thing to begin with. This way you could incorporate all of the items in the game right at the start for the tutorial. That way you dont need seperate ones throughout the whole game. When the munkees steal snatch's items they could also steal the gem he stole in the tutorial and you could incorperate it into the story?
Large signature removed, please read the signature rules.

#12 RCCarThief

RCCarThief

GMC Member

• 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback mws_1991. Yea, that room changing thing is a strange problem. I made custom physics because hspeed and vspeed aren't precise enough so I don't know why that error persists. The character is a persistent object, and there's no code to stop his movement, so I can't figure out why it happens. If you use a gamepad, this doesn't happen, so my only guess is GM resets the keyboard state upon switching rooms or something.

I do like that idea for the tutorial, but do you think the tutorial should be a separate option in the main menu or something that always plays through on a new game?

Thanks again for the feedback, keep it coming!

Wraxul Gaming Site

#13 mws_1991

mws_1991

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

I reckon make the tutorial compulsory for the first time new game is selected. However every time after make it so a skip button appears. This way the players learn the controls and can refresh their memories if they want or skip if they feel confident. Should be hard to do. Just make a global variable then if its true then a button will appear if not then yeah... u get the idea :)

Tutorial compulsory for one time! Skip button available every time after!

Hope the feedback is helping :P
Large signature removed, please read the signature rules.