• Version:Unknown

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:50 PM

3D Level Editor
by dmitko

Posted Image Posted Image

Download Beta 1.3
(GMK included)

Introduction
As we all know Game Maker's level editing isn't easy at all, and especially when creating 3D games. You have to make a great number of objects and only one instance of an object sometimes, which will slow down your game and will take time and efford to do. You should also make sprites to use them for collision masks and to apply them, and many many other difficulties. Let me present you my 3D Level Editor, which will save you a lot of time and will make level creation much easier!
Using the right combinations of objects you can create great levels for your games. For example, by using animated sprites and general objects you could create fires, torches, etc. The shadow engine I developed is really good, especially when you have rooms with many point lights, which cast not just one, but many shadows. The sun shadows could look great in an outside level. By using the different blend modes and transparency alpha values you can create nice bloomy sceneries.

Why is this Level Editor better than many other
The Editor is I dare say rather good. And you want to know why? Well, because:
- it is easy to use when you get used to it
- it is easy to include the levels you make in your games
- it has many many features
- it allows you to edit various values for different objects (you can have animated objects, different blend modes, alpha values, etc.)
- it has a unique shadow engine (developed by me) that allows multiple shadows casted by one object
- it has a 3D terrain system support that allows you to have various terrains and you can apply up to 3 different textures for them
- it will allow you to create objects with specific behaviour (see the 'Unique ID' functionality in the 'ReadMe.txt' file)
- using your imagination and the Editor you will be able to create almost any level you want!
- just try it and you will see ...

More Screenshots
A night scenery with point light
A level made with my Editor and included in my game

What resources can I use?
When making your levels you will need a certain ammount of resources to create what you want. The resources I am talking about are textures, models, animated sprites and collision masks. Here is a list of the supported file formats:
- Textures - jpeg images (JPG), bitmaps (BMP) and non-animated gif images (GIF)
- Sprites - animated and non-animated gif images (GIF)
- Collision Masks - non-animated gif images (GIF)
- Models - obj 3d models (OBJ)

Help
You will probably find it a bit difficult to get used to the Editor in the beginning, so please have a look at the 'ReadMe.txt' file, which will help you a lot.

Support
Put this in your signature to support the Editor and make it more popular among our community:
[URL=http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=427997][IMG]http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/3/1/30/f_logom_0a45dd2.png[/IMG][/URL]

I am waiting for your comments. Please post what you think and tell me if you find any bugs.

!!! WARNING !!!
ALL RESOURCES INCLUDED IN THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER ARE MINE! THE LEVELS ARE FROM MY GAME SHEEPED AND ALL MODELS AND TEXTURES ARE MINE, TOO. YOU CAN NOT USE THE LEVELS FOR YOUR GAMES, BUT YOU MAY USE THE TEXTURES AND MODELS IF YOU PUT ME (Dimitar 'dmitko' Palanski) IN THE CREDITS!

Edited by dmitko, 13 August 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#2 frankpiet

frankpiet

^destroyed evil chicken^

• 760 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

this is exelent! very nice interface! too bad the camera doesnt pitch...
edit: also the textures are a bit stupid... i mean only 3 at a time

Edited by frankpiet, 14 April 2009 - 01:56 AM.

#3 Alvare

Alvare

Allrounder

• GMC Member
  • 1092 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

this is exelent! very nice interface! too bad the camera doesnt pitch...
edit: also the textures are a bit stupid... i mean only 3 at a time

Did you create the models yourself?

THE LEVELS ARE FROM MY GAME SHEEPED AND ALL MODELS AND TEXTURES ARE MINE, TOO.

Cool.. great job, they look stunning! ;)
There very good.. especially when you're creating a cartoony game.

Edited by THE_GAME_EDITOR, 18 September 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#4 nodata10101

nodata10101

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

This is really good stuff, and the interface is really easy to work with (something that cant be said about a lot of professional 3d software I have messed around with). It is really unfortunate this part of the forum does not receive more attention. That being said, I have run into a bug.

I attempted to load a 3d model in .obj format, I assume it had to many polygons for the program to handle or something, and after waiting for a bit I recieved an error message:

for object obj_Loader:

Error in function real().

I now get this message every time I try to load up the 3d level editor executable.

Some things I really like about this is the space bar toggling the edit and view mode. The interface is wonderful and feels very professional. I only wish you included a 3 quarter view camera you could access within the edit mode in order to get a better idea of how the terrain is coming out. In the future, providing a more in depth manual, (maybe in pdf format?) could be beneficial and add the the professional feel.

Great job!

#5 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

This is really good stuff, and the interface is really easy to work with (something that cant be said about a lot of professional 3d software I have messed around with). It is really unfortunate this part of the forum does not receive more attention. That being said, I have run into a bug.

I attempted to load a 3d model in .obj format, I assume it had to many polygons for the program to handle or something, and after waiting for a bit I recieved an error message:

for object obj_Loader:

Error in function real().

I now get this message every time I try to load up the 3d level editor executable.

Some things I really like about this is the space bar toggling the edit and view mode. The interface is wonderful and feels very professional. I only wish you included a 3 quarter view camera you could access within the edit mode in order to get a better idea of how the terrain is coming out. In the future, providing a more in depth manual, (maybe in pdf format?) could be beneficial and add the the professional feel.

Great job!

Thank you for posting. I am glad you like the editor.

Now, the error you got... what program did you use to save it as OBJ? The error occurs when the loader objects tryies to load this particular OBJ model. And this is probably because of the format it is saved. Try downloading Anim8or (http://anim8or.com) and import you model there and export it as OBJ. No problems occur.

As for improving the editor... I made this tool to use it for my own needs only, and you know why? Because this community appreciates nothing as you can probably see yourself. Only a few have posted and much more have downloaded it. It is totally demotivating when your hard work isn't even noticed! I would make a new version with more features and manual and stuff, but what for?? I don't need one for me, and I won't make one for this ungrateful community. I hope you understand me...

#6 Pie Person!

Pie Person!

GM 6+ Lover

• GMC Member
  • 1973 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

Sorry, I won't download this because I don't need it. But it looks very user-friendly :D! I'm working on a hard-core map editor right now; which will come with more than object placing, but also world modeling. I'm building tools which will allow you to quickly build complex shapes without any extrusion, scaling, or other highly manual proccesses. This requires complex genorating algorithms, but it's still fun to program. I like the idea of top-down object placement, like in Game Maker and this program...

I better support that too :). Currently, my object placement is simular to Forge (on Halo 3). This allows you to place objects in places that are covered by roofs and ceilings. Thanks to you, I will add a second method [topdown] for large terrain.

Yays

Edited by Pie Person!, 15 August 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#7 PickleMan

PickleMan

Programmer

• 995 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

I like both the models and the program itself.

Nice Job!

#8 Bouncy Ball

Bouncy Ball

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:55 AM

Its awesome but I get a error when I place lights:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Mouse Event for Glob Left Pressed
for object obj_Editor:

In script ShadowSet:
In script ShadowCalculate:
In script ShadowCalcPos:
Error in code at line 2:

dis_ = point_distance(sunX_,sunY_,ptX_,ptY_);
pdis_ = (ptZ_*dis_)/(sunZ_-ptZ_);
shadX = ptX_+lengthdir_x(pdis_,point_direction(sunX_,sunY_
,ptX_,ptY_));
shadY = ptY_+lengthdir_y(pdis_,point_direction(sunX_,sunY_
,ptX_,ptY_));

at position 70: Division by 0.

#9 loki1100

loki1100

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

new here, just wanna say to your level editor very very nice and helpfull still downloading your level editor... thnx ^_^

#10 FortyEightKay

FortyEightKay

Commercial Developer

• GMC Member
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

That,s pretty cool. Just having a play with it now, will comment again later.

Edited by FortyEightKay, 21 April 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#11 DragonQuest

DragonQuest

GMC Member

• 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

Hey im new at this 3d stuff like really new, i was wondering how we import these to game maker is it possible? or is this gonna be to complicated for me?

#12 dmitko

dmitko

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1011 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hello, guys! I hope you wont interpret this as spamming but I really would like to know if anybody is using my editor? And is there someone maybe working on it, making it better? If so, please let me know, I am willing to work on it again. I want to make it better and better.

@ DragonQuest, you can import this in your game, it's easy.

#13 kalzme

kalzme

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:22 PM

this is really good.
maybe add shadows for the terrain too.

#14 Sektor_Z

Sektor_Z

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1671 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

Professional, user-friendly, powerful, easy to get used to and even fun to work with.
There's no doubt this really is the best 3d GM level editor out there. Awesome work as usual! :]

#15 supreme_boss

supreme_boss

GMC Member

• 531 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

Woah... I will say this is impressive just LOOKING at it.

#16 connor4312

connor4312

www.connorpeet.com

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

Wow! Looks great, feels great to design, and simple! I likey!

#17 rappybas

rappybas

GMC Member

• 678 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Heaven in a .zip

#18 wik eraser

wik eraser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

PS! how do you make it possible to add comments like this???

#19 rappybas

rappybas

GMC Member

• 678 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:21 PM

What? :|

Edited by rappybas, 24 October 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#20 SparkzBolt

SparkzBolt

Graphics....Zap

• 416 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Awsome!

#21 phew

phew

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

This is great and very useful, keep it going! ^_^

Edited by phew, 24 October 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#22 aaronrandall

aaronrandall

GMC Member

• 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

how do i make it so i can load a level automatically

#23 joaoneto

joaoneto

GMC Member

• 89 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

Very good, but open the .gmk in the GM8 doesn't load the textures.

EDIT: Sorry about my stupid comment, just compile the executable.

Edited by joaoneto, 04 February 2010 - 01:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users