11 replies to this topic

#1 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

Eco-Chrome

Description

Eco-Chrome is an arcade/strategy game in which you attempt to defend your planet from asteroids. This may seem to be an easy task but your method of defence is trees. You can planet a seed which will grow a single limb. From there you can water (or upgrade) your tree increasing the number of limbs by one to a maximum of five. The limb give you the opportunity to collect more money. More limbs also cover more area. There are four different game modes to choose from and they are explained inside the game.

Features
-An original soundtrack
-Online highscores for every mode
-4 different modes
-Menu
-Monochrome art style
-Trees that grow differently each time

Game Links
Instant Play
Posted Image
Posted Image

Screenshots
Screen 1
Screen 2

Design Info

In case you don't know this game is entirely colourless. Only black and white are used (except in one case which I could not fix, PM me if you find it). This started off as a tree growing example that I made and it eventually evolved into this. The reason it is 11megs is because of the soundtrack which contains 16 songs (8 individual tracks and a variation on each).

Credits
Firstly I would like to thanks LeChatDeMaison for the music and some sfx, Roach for creating netread.dll, True Valhalla for letting me post this because our games are fairly similar.

If you have any questions or comments about it please post here or PM me. Thanks for playing.

Edited by wiiowner, 05 April 2009 - 11:43 PM.

Completed Projects: Eco-Chrome || Conway's Game of Life - Update that triples framerate!
Scripts: Grid Based Lighting (With Dynamic Soft Shadows) || Mud Physics

#2 griffi

griffi

GMC Member

• 243 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

You do realise that echo-chrome is a PS3 puzzle game?
If i commented your topic, then please return the favour :)
http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=428287

#3 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:33 AM

I am aware of that and this is different and I do feel that the title has more meaning as in Eco for environment (aka the tree theme) and Chrome due to the lack of colour. Also I'm not trying to sell this game so there should be any conflicts.

PS: This wasn't really the first post I was hoping for but what can you do.
Completed Projects: Eco-Chrome || Conway's Game of Life - Update that triples framerate!

#4 griffi

griffi

GMC Member

• 243 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

lol sorry; i'll try it and edit

EDIT: I really liked it; a bit difficult to understand to start with, but great :P

Edited by griffi, 19 April 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#5 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:11 AM

Thanks a lot. I spent around a month from start to finish on it working probably a bit every day, and then around two weeks adjusting variables to make it balanced.

#6 griffi

griffi

GMC Member

• 243 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

Just a little note: I didn't intend to sound rude :P

#7 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

That alright it's hard to interpret what someone is saying when you can't tell tone of voice or emphasis :snitch: .

Edit: Hmm, I wonder who reported you, it was a valid question.

Edited by wiiowner, 06 May 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#8 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:53 PM

Thanks a lot TV. First related comment here.

#9 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:06 AM

Yeah original games usually don't get the attention they deserve, whereas games that are clones/have something to do with a commercial game get lots of views and replies, cough left 1 dead cough. Anyway not sure there will be a sequel, I was thinking of changing up this formula a bit though and use tower instead of trees and so the towers would be there and cover a certain angle or something. I'm sure if there is a sequel I'll change something though. Also I have a WIP that I'm working on and if you don't mind I might PM you about getting started with 39dll. Thanks for the comment!

#10 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

Alright thanks a lot. I think the main problems with online games for most people (well maybe just my and there maybe more but...) are wrapping your head around the whole concept about how it works and for me I can't seem to get the whole port forwarding thing, I don't know. Anyway if I'm going to make a sequel it will most likely be for a different game because there no point in making a sequel to a game that's unpopular. I'll have to keep riding it out until something catches on, then I can ride on the milk train and make sequels ^_^ .

#11 SparkzBolt

SparkzBolt

Graphics....Zap

• 416 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:03 PM

Ummmhow do you play it?I cant figure out the contols!
I'm back.

#12 wiiowner

wiiowner

Absolute Zero Team

• 685 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

They are explained in the tutorial. Arrow keys to move the cursor and z to create tree and x to water.