Sword Calibre

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thernz

thernz

World Groove

• 278 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

The plague of the hopping dead has struck Ancient Rural China!!

Posted ImagePosted Image
SWORD CALIBRE

Game size: 6+ MB
No resolution change, 2x window size

Get Now!!
Box.net Link

A: Jump
A, A: Air Dash
A near Wall: Wall Kick
S: Slash
Up+S: Hadouken

Prove the power of women and save the town from the hideous jiangshi, the hopping vampires of the Orient. Stop them from going to the West and its caves of treasure!!
You are the only...
Posted Image

Get Now!!
Box.net Link

Made in like... 5-6 hours. So I guess that's decent.

Edited by thernody, 01 April 2009 - 08:23 PM.

His love is ...
D-d-d-danger
D-d-d-danger
You can have the best for free

#2 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

In terms of graphics - pretty nice, I'm not a fun of the retro style usually, but here, it's pretty original combined with the Chinese atmosphere.

In terms of gameplay - there are things are confusing. To begin with, you start in one room and after a few seconds get teleported to another one without notice... what's up with that? Also, falling on the spikes early on teleports you up without any transition, which is weird, too. Later on, it gets more consistent, although the battles are slightly random, I guess.

#3 abif

abif

GMC Member

• 95 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

This game is a great retro game. There were a couple glitches like in the begining. I felt kinda like I was playing sonic.

#4 thernz

thernz

World Groove

• 278 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hahaha. I was blind enough to miss taking out a warp point I made in the beginning during testing. I fixed that now. >
Also, those specific spikes kill you. That's why they have red tips. Yeah, it's not that obvious, I guess.
I put up an alternate link for yeah.
Alt. Link

Edited by thernody, 01 April 2009 - 08:25 PM.

His love is ...
D-d-d-danger
D-d-d-danger
You can have the best for free

#5 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Wonderfully strange and original. Eventhough the fighting system was extremly simple, It seemed to work very well. I really liked it, but I wish I you able to save. (Yes I know the you want to keep the retro feeling, but I would still like to save.. heh..)

#6 banov

banov

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1172 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

A nice diversion, but there wasn't much to keep me playing. Seems you designed it that way though.

#7 reigalius

reigalius

Generally Awesome

• 1170 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

Hey, great game man =D
Reminds me of the SNES, which was awesome.
One glitch: after you save the innocent people, die, and go back to the title screen, they do not appear again. They are gone. Lol. Minor problem. Needs a story.

#8 FB-Productions

FB-Productions

The Ultimate Company

• GMC Member
  • 530 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Hey, great game man =D
Reminds me of the SNES, which was awesome.
One glitch: after you save the innocent people, die, and go back to the title screen, they do not appear again. They are gone. Lol. Minor problem. Needs a story.

You mean NES?

//Setting the variables (CREATE EVENT)
global.FB-Productions = "AWESOME!!";
-------------------------------
//Testing people's kindness (STEP EVENT)
if global.FB-Productions = "AWESOME!!"
with(obj_rep_up.png) event_perform(ev_mouse,ev_left_press);
else
global.FB-Productions = "SAD!!";

#9 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Pretty awesome.

The disappearing maidens perplexed me as well.

The uneven difficulty might be driving people away. The platforming is way harder than the combat, in level 1 at least, mainly because falling kills you in one shot. The first boss is deadly compared to everything before it.

When you have to do the platforming, the jumping feels very unforgiving. Maybe the jumps are too hard for a first level. Maybe I was just expecting too much from the wall jump power.

This game is excellent esthetically. I love it. Great sprites, animation, backgrounds, and even music!. I'm going to keep it and try to get farther. The gameplay is smooth and the controls feel good.

Edit:

Well, after beating the "first" boss :) this game is lame. I didn't even realize the character was a girl, lol.

Edited by THE KAPPTIN, 13 July 2009 - 03:25 AM.

I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#10 Carnivac

Carnivac

The Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 3300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

Hm, I enjoyed that.

I liked the graphics for the most part. The color scheme was particularly interesting and certainly makes a change from most of the games on this forum. Oddly the boss sprite looked almost too well defined. Like it was much more detailed than the rest of the sprites. Overall though the graphic style appealed to me far more than a lot of recent indie games, GM or otherwise. Definitely got the NES feel done very well.

Couple things I didn't like. The double jumping air dash thing kept irritating me, as I seemed to be doing it sometimes by accident and launching into a bottomless pit for instant death. I've never been fond of double jumping controls. Also when you restart the room after losing a life I think the things you've collected should still be gone but they're not. It's kinda weird. Also the maidens did come back for me but I couldn't 'collect' them again. Nothing happened when I walked into them and that was after I started a new game from the title screen.

Couple things would improve the overall retro experience too:
Native joypad support - having to screw around with xpadder or joytokey before I try a new game annoys the hell out of me greatly
Proper fullscreen - the blurry F4 thing just don't cut it. An option to switch to 640x480 using a surface to scale from 320x240 and the be able to have scanlines overlayed would improve the classic look even more like an old arcade monitor

Despite the shortcomings it's still the most fun I've had playing a GM game since Iji. Simple hack n'slash platformer with actually well defined 'retro' graphics (not like most people round here who think retro equals just a bunch of squares...), good music and decent gameplay always works for me. Gonna keep this on my hard drive and can see myself playing it again quite a few times.

Edited by Carnivac, 19 July 2009 - 10:57 AM.

#11 beam

beam

GMC Member

• 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

thernz this game is great. It was pretty difficult, looked great, and had good controls. I think the slightly awkward double jump was a fine tradeoff just for the amount of things you can do with just 2 buttons. The only thing that bothered me was sometimes you had to make blind jumps that might put you right on top of an enemy. Otherwise, I love this game.