Astatine

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hey guys. I am hereby announcing the completing of Astatine, my platform game with emphasis on exploration, story and combat ("metroidvania", if you will). It is inspired by a variety of games, mainly Cave Story and Quake (the original one). The music was done by Purianite.

Any suggestions are welcome, but please be warned if you make any major ones I'll probably murder you with an axe (since I have an issue with posting a game hundreds of times and getting no feedback, and then releasing it and getting tons of suggestions all of sudden).

Anyways, have fun - hopefully!

Game size: 10+ MB
No resolution change, starts windowed (fullscreen available)

The game:

http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/75019

Some screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you need help, Julius at YouTube did a great walkthrough of Astatine (although a slightly outdated beta version), which you can find here:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7UAwrhFIVR8

Enjoy!

#2 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:23 AM

cool game!

graphics couldve used work but besides that, the level design was great and overall it was fun to play

8/10

#3 $pecter

$pecter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1616 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:00 AM

Wow, this game is great!
Very nice graphics, good game play and suitable atmosphere.
Not finished yet, I'm up to 'Soulless'Demon Thallos.

EDIT: This game deserves way more comments. :)

Edited by $pecter, 23 March 2009 - 10:53 PM.

#4 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Agreed and thanks, guys :)

I'm wondering about the difficulty of the final boss - well, he's probably a bit harder than all other bosses (he's the final boss, duh), but I'm hoping he's not hard enough to make people give up their hopes and stop playing before the end. If you beat him, let me know and tell me your secrets found percentage :)

#5 ninjutsu63

ninjutsu63

GMC Member

• 1128 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

Great job! I agree, the level design was fantastic, and the gameplay was fun. The graphics certainly weren't bad. The music was alright, although it seemed a little repetitive. Keep it up!
The Entropy Movement

Agent-Third Person Shooter -"Wow! That was the best 3d TPS I've ever played on GM!"

#6 druux

druux

GMC Member

• 120 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

wow, by the look of the screenshots, it looks like this is gonna be a good game!

#7 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Cesque, this is fantastic! I think it might be my favorite GM game. The mood, story, and level design are what make it for me. I don't really think the music fits in some places and the game is almost too dark to see sometimes, but that's nothing to worry about... I don't usually like game music anyways.

Currently stuck in the haunted caves. I've made it up to Keeper's (?) room and all, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. I found the guards who blocked that entrance to... some place.

Is it possible to scroll through weapons? It's frustrating to run out of ammo and then not be able to use the fully-loaded alternatives. I also think that the guns should switch automatically once a weapon runs out of ammo.

Good to see you managed to finish it.

Edited by Polystyrene Man, 25 March 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#8 grandhighgamer

grandhighgamer

Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 3876 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

It sucks.
No just kidding, great game cesque. Reminds me of Rez a bit.. except with animations... and generally being better.

GHG WUZ ERE

#9 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

Thansk guys, I love you all :)

Currently stuck in the haunted caves. I've made it up to Keeper's (?) room and all, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. I found the guards who blocked that entrance to... some place.

There is another route there. You need to backtrack a bit and go down rather than up - the lighthouse area is optional, although the shield is pretty useful for at least one boss fight.

Is it possible to scroll through weapons? It's frustrating to run out of ammo and then not be able to use the fully-loaded alternatives. I also think that the guns should switch automatically once a weapon runs out of ammo.

Ah, sorry, no. Somebody (who was that?) suggested using Q/E to scroll through weapons, but I forgot to add that. :) You can use either the main keyboard numerals or numpad.

wow, by the look of the screenshots, it looks like this is gonna be a good game!

Go ahead and play, otherwise I'll regret wasting time on creating a game and not just some mock-up screens :)

#10 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, disregard what I said about getting stuck. I made it to the final boss but I couldn't beat him in his second stage. Anyways, definitely an awesome game.

#11 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:55 AM

Anyway, keep trying :)

#12 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

Nice! The style was very good. The graphics and music fitted together well. When I have more time, I'll play right through to the end. :)

#13 Broxter

Broxter

Jack Brockley

• GMC Member
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:04 PM

It was very well polished and I really like it. Also, I loved using the chainsaw to kill those zombies and make loadsa blood!

- Broxter

Edited by Broxter, 26 March 2009 - 01:05 PM.

#14 BrainWare

BrainWare

Adrenaline

• GMC Member
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

I love it Cesque.

#15 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

Looks sweet, judging by the screenshots. I'll download and play this now =D
Ill edit too =D

Edit:
Awesome!!! I still havent beaten the game.. but I hope to... soon!
So far I would rate it 9/10

Edited by orange08, 29 March 2009 - 02:28 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#16 Wombat

Wombat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:09 PM

I didn't realize the lighthouse thing was optional, so I got up to there and didn't know what to do next.
However, now that I've read this topic I know what to do, and shall resume play in a bit.

So far, this game has been amazing. No complaints. The user who said it was too dark probably needs to raise his contrast/screen brightness a bit.

Only a couple minor things I noticed: when you jump on the pillars near the train, the landing is kinda buggy - but you probably just need to put a "move to contact" thing in to solve it.
Also, near the big white building you see next to the first teleport, if you head right and double-jump, it's possible to get stuck outside the room.

But those aren't really glitches, just minor blemishes I noticed on an otherwise perfect game.

#17 Polystyrene Man

Polystyrene Man

Fake Plastic Fun

• 702 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

The user who said it was too dark probably needs to raise his contrast/screen brightness a bit.

Yup, I did that and it fixed the problem.

#18 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Only a couple minor things I noticed: when you jump on the pillars near the train, the landing is kinda buggy - but you probably just need to put a "move to contact" thing in to solve it.

Oh - well, not really sure if I can do anything about that - since your gravity is pulling you down a few pixels per step, you usually end up a few centimetres in the air before the final "skip" to the ground. Not sure if that's what you meant. I'll have a look.

Also, near the big white building you see next to the first teleport, if you head right and double-jump, it's possible to get stuck outside the room.

Thanks. I had this problem in one other area, good (actually, bad) to know it's somewhere else, too. :(

To all others: Thanks guys!

#19 Wombat

Wombat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

Oh - well, not really sure if I can do anything about that - since your gravity is pulling you down a few pixels per step, you usually end up a few centimetres in the air before the final "skip" to the ground. Not sure if that's what you meant. I'll have a look.

Thanks. I had this problem in one other area, good (actually, bad) to know it's somewhere else, too. :(

To all others: Thanks guys!

Well elsewhere in the game the jumping seems flawless, it's only on those pillars that the 'skip' happens... or something might just be wrong with my eyes

#20 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

Bumpy bump.

Well elsewhere in the game the jumping seems flawless, it's only on those pillars that the 'skip' happens... or something might just be wrong with my eyes

It's like that everywhere - jumping from the building nearby has the same effect, but of course it depends on the position. Apparently it's a "move to contact" problem - increasing the "snap" distance seems to help.

I tested it and you can't actually get stuck - you can just get outside of the room, but going left gets you back. Still, I walled the "exit" off now. I mean, in my version - hopefully I'll get some more things to put in before exchanging the file.

Edited by Cesque, 29 March 2009 - 10:45 PM.

#21 Wombat

Wombat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

I usually make the snap distance dependent on the vspeed, so that is doesn't look out of proportion... something like vspeed/2

Oh and I also posted this on YoYoGames, but I'm stuck on what to do after the Abandoned Depot.... :D

#22 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

Oh and I also posted this on YoYoGames, but I'm stuck on what to do after the Abandoned Depot.... :D

Hmm? Go right (from the bottom) and use the lift / elevator.

#23 Wombat

Wombat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Right? But if I remember correctly, there are rocks blocking the passage?

#24 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:21 AM

Go down the *first* lift and you'll find your solution :P

#25 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:35 PM

Just goes to show.. Awesome games can be made in lite as well as pro. =)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#26 thernz

thernz

World Groove

• 278 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Please note that I love this game.

His love is ...
D-d-d-danger
D-d-d-danger
You can have the best for free

#27 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

pretty cool man, simple yet effective graphics, good athmosphere... good gameplay (hehe this chainsaw is pure ownage=P)
and best of all: the music. the in-game music was very nice to listen too, and it didn't irritate me after a while (which is important).

good game!
8/10

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#28 ChrisEvans

ChrisEvans

GMC Member

• 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

Thats a nice game. The graphics were not my style, but they are decent. The music and sound effects were plenty, better than most games. The game play, though, overshadows even the sound part. The story was nice, though not really unique. The levels were well laid out, each offering a little different challenge. Overall, a pretty nice game, a little more to graphics, and a little uniqueness to the story, could have made into a favorite! Keep it up!

OFF TOPIC: Hurray, my first post!

Edited by ChrisEvans, 03 April 2009 - 09:36 AM.

#29 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Thanks! Glad you guys liked the music - some people didn't think it fit along.

Just goes to show.. Awesome games can be made in lite as well as pro. =)

<_<

#30 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:39 AM

Two glitches:
1) When you are in the room with the second pistol, run against the right wall, you can go through it.
2) Go to the first "stage" with the blood alter thing. Keep double jumping along the right wall. You can get out of the map

Otherwise, this is probably one of my favorite GM games. Grats man, it's beautiful.
Posted Image

#31 6ten

6ten

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:06 PM

Looks interesting.
The pictures are very nice.
I am downloading at the moment.
I will edit this post to let you know what I think.

Edit

Really good game!
I loved the music and sound effects and the graphics are really nice.
The characters eyes were like he was bored. Very funny :whistle:
Level design was great and the chainsaw was awesome.

9.5/10 One of my favorite game in GM of all time.

Edited by 6ten, 06 April 2009 - 03:38 PM.

#32 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

I'm stuck on Soulless. I know that you have to get the lava poured on him, but he seems to have an incredible amount of health. Any pointers?
Posted Image

#33 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

Aertcz: You can stun him with rockets, which makes things much easier. It's possible to beat him even without that, though, if you stay in the air a lot and press the switches when he stops to attack right beneath one of the "cauldrons".

Also, thanks for noting the first glitch - I'll check that. I've checked and fixed (well, in my gmc file at least :)) the second one.

6ten: Thanks :)

#34 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

I thought I had beat thallos, until he turned into the demon thing from another dimension... Yeah, I got wrecked.

Spoiler I suppose...

Edited by Aertcz, 12 April 2009 - 06:32 AM.

Posted Image

#35 Wombat

Wombat

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

I think people should put warnings before game spoilers. :rambo

#36 DavidX

DavidX

Scorching Back

• GMC Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

I know it's too much to ask, but could you post a mirror? I really wanna play this game... >_<

tohjofalls.com <- info about Pokemon lost silver and cursed black

#37 david9537

david9537

GMC Member

• 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:42 AM

yea could u plz post a mirror?
i've been trying to download this game for weeks but my nets way too slow to download anything fromm yyg games that is over 10mb

i realy wanna try this game!

#38 Sinner

Sinner

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:36 AM

That's a pretty good game. I actually found myself stuck at the menu for quite a lot time since I misread Press Right Key as click Right mouse button. Why not allow clicking? That'd be lot more simple, or maybe it's just me.

#39 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

I didn't want to use the mouse at all.

I uploaded the game to willhostforfood some time ago. The site has limited downloads AFAIK, but you should still be able to get it:

http://willhostforfo...ad&fileid=60696

Have fun!

In some time I should upload an updated game with bugfixes to the stuff you guys mentioned (and maybe some other very minor changes) :)

#40 Diptoman

Diptoman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1906 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Very nice game.
The start of the game was too sudden though in my opinion. It could've been improved.
The musics and sound effects were nice.
The graphics were good and created a good atmosphere.
The gameplay was pretty fun.

Great job with GM Lite!

This game deserves much more attention.

#41 Myname

Myname

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

This is probably one of the best games ever in GM I like the adventure exploreishness of the game.
9/10 overall. But I can't beat Soulless :D

Yeah Thallos is really hard the 2nd time because I used all my potions on his first form :D
You gotta make a 2nd one! That would be amazing!

Edited by Myname, 20 April 2009 - 09:52 PM.

#42 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Thanks! Due to people's lack of intuition with Soulless, I'm thinking about putting in a sort-of hint in the room:

Posted Image

I'm not that happy with the colours, and I'm not sure if it's understandable, but... well, rockets can be used to stun him in case you didn't know :)

Yeah Thallos is really hard the 2nd time because I used all my potions on his first form :(

You can always go back and try with the first form again ;) The revolver can be dodged in most cases if you know the trick. Also, there's a potion in the left corner of the room when you get to his second form.

If anyone actually beat second Thallos, let me know.

I should publish a new version soon, so if you have any interesting suggestions or complaints, let me know.

Also, I've heard rumours Astatine may appear in a cage match... show your support if you feel like it. Then again, I'm against some formidable opponents. ;)

#43 mws_1991

mws_1991

GMC Member

• 195 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Wow this is an absolutely amazing game!
I love everything about it!

And... i beat 2nd from Thallos ;)

You have no idea how many times i tried... I lost count at 19...

Thats how addictive this game is!

If you havent played it then what are you doing reading this?!?! Download it and play it NOW!
Large signature removed, please read the signature rules.

#44 Aertcz

Aertcz

Aleksander

• GMC Member
  • 1660 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

Nah, take out the hint for beating souless? Is it really that necessary you guys?
Posted Image

#45 Myname

Myname

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

Cesque you gotta make a 2nd one! I would love to play it!

#46 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

And... i beat 2nd from Thallos

Awesome - congratulations! Do you remember what your secret percentage was?

Nah, take out the hint for beating souless? Is it really that necessary you guys?

Oh well, a lot of people just didn't get that you can stun him with rockets. I was trying to make the hint rather subtle... but we'll see. Maybe I'll change its form slightly or remove it altogether.

#47 Ecstats

Ecstats

GMC Member

• 844 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:36 AM

Well I played this a bit yesterday, I remember beating that Soulless robot thing and not soon after that I saved and quit the game. Now when I try to play it again it seems the game haven't saved anything at all, I just start all over again when selecting load game. So yeah, I won't be finishing this game.

The gameplay was ok, pretty standard. I didn't find any use for the dual pistols as two shots from them seemed to be weaker than one shot from the shotgun. The invulnerability item made the Quake Shambler boss extremely easy, just use one and chainsaw+fire spell him to death. Oh and Soulless, didn't know you could stun him with rockets, it wasn't necessary to kill him though.

Graphics were decent, they certainly weren't bad. The parallax background in the city looked a bit weird - the houses seemed divided into two parts with one following the view faster than the other. Also in the city some jumpthrough platforms would have been nice.

Sounds were mostly from Quake I could tell, with maybe the pistol from Half-Life or something? While taken from various games they did the job. Music reminded me of System Shock 2, which was nice, but this music wasn't as good.

Story was decent aswell, it kept me playing. Not sure what else to comment on it. I won't get to see the end of it though.

Overall, a pretty good game, just that it doesn't seem to save your progress. Oh and when I first saw the game title I thought it would be a game about some kind of painkiller like aspirin.

#48 Myname

Myname

GMC Member

• 413 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

The gameplay was ok, pretty standard. I didn't find any use for the dual pistols as two shots from them seemed to be weaker than one shot from the shotgun. The invulnerability item made the Quake Shambler boss extremely easy, just use one and chainsaw+fire spell him to death. Oh and Soulless, didn't know you could stun him with rockets, it wasn't necessary to kill him though.

Yeah I used the chainsaw most of the time because it pwns those uber noobs who defy me. >: )

#49 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hey guys, as I promised, I've released a new version with bug fixes and whatnot:

http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/75019

And for those who don't like downloading from YoYo Games:

http://www.willhostf...hp?fileid=64214

I don't really expect people who already checked the game to download the new version, but for those to lazy to check the ReadMe, here's a list of changes:

Version 1.2.

- Q/E keys can now be used to cycle through weapons
- The final boss room's engine is now animated :P
- A small notice added to the Soulless boss room
- Cultist enemies behave slightly differently
- A new easter egg added :D
- A lot of bug fixes
(walking out of visible level, background parallaxing, music bugs, etc.)

If you hadn't check Astatine out yet, go ahead :P

The parallax background in the city looked a bit weird - the houses seemed divided into two parts with one following the view faster than the other.

They actually moved the wrong way - the "back" row moved faster and the "front" row slower. I fixed that now.

Overall, a pretty good game, just that it doesn't seem to save your progress.

I've no idea, really - did you use Instant Play? I highly recommend to download the game before playing, in any case. I've tested saving and loading and it works alright, for at least one another person I know of, too, and nobody else apparently had this problem.

#50 Cesque

Cesque

GMC Member

• 57 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:20 PM

Astatine in the Cage Match!

http://gmc.yoyogames...pic=429820&st=0

If you want to show your support for Astatine (or for the Life of Bob, which I found pretty fun myself), go ahead and vote, guys. :)