Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:08 AM

*UPDATE*

Beta debug demo is released!!

WIP Topic here

Octorok Pictures

Click here to see new screenshots of new outline art style, Link's Z targetting, Game Menu in development and Mabe Village:
View this link to check out the screenshots:
Link's Reawakening Game Engine Screenshots

(Obviously, the debug room is using test graphics, considering I have only been working on the gameplay mechanics before making any levels or level graphics)

Hey there, all. This question is for fans of The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening. I've been developing and fine tuning an Action Adventure 3D game engine, and after a little bit of fine tuning, it has occurred to me that I can create a game very similar to the gameplay styles of Ocarina of Time / Twilight Princess / Wind Waker.

The question is :

If you were to play a remake of Link's Awakening in 3D fashion, would you prefer the game remain as true to the original as possible, or would you prefer some new additions to take advantage of the new game environment?

By True to The Original, I mean that there would be no new items and only very minor changes to gameplay and puzzles. Events, dungeons and game layout would be pretty much the same. Irrespective of whether or not the game will be 100% true to the original, the sword now has its own button and 2 different items can be equipped at a time.

In an alternate course, as a fan and player of Link's Awakening, would you prefer some new additions such as Wiimote support (using the Wiimote to attack and nunchuck for certain secondary items / shield bashing). There would be 3 new main items, each with unique functions for solving puzzles and what not. The dialogue would be tweaked and fine tuned to take advantage of more screen and memory space.
Upgrades to the game would also include a secondary swordslot, where players can quest long and hard to find various secondary swords and store them in a reserved item spot, and can be used a La Big Goron Sword style. There may be 3 or more different secondary swords, each with a different effect and style, but only one can be carried.

The game will have Wiimote compatibility so it will play similarly to Twilight Princess, and all that would be required is a bluetooth dongle which can be purchased from ebay for about 10 dollars or so.

There wil be some changes to items to make them more useful and practical for the duration of the entire game. For example, the Shovel can be used to 'ground' Link so that if a powerful wind were to knock Link off a ledge, Link culd dig the shovel into the ground and hold it there to hang on. The Sirens Instruments will have Ocarina of Time like functionality and will be used as items through the game to unlock further areas to explore.

Following italicized information is no longer valid
New Items that I am considering implementing into the game, along with new dungeons to match are as follows:

Baba Seeds / OR / Sword Activated Bomb : Sprout your own Deku Baba (a la Ocarina of Time / Twilight Princess). The Deku Baba will attack when Link attacks, and is most useful for puzzles where Link must hit two or more switches simultaneously. A sword slash activated bomb would serve the same purpose in terms of puzzles and enemy strategies, but might seem more 'normal' to zelda players.
Gravity Rod : Creates a gravity vortex which pulls items and enemies (as well as Link) towards its center. Link can create the vortex farther away by charging up the rod before using. The gravity vortex can help stop Link from being blown off platforms from strong winds and solve various puzzles.
Wind Axe / Wind Hammer : Break boulders/obstacles and weaken enemies with armor. When used, the weapon releases a wave of wind, which spins whatever item / enemy it hits. It can be used to solve puzzles.

The 8 instruments collected through the game can be equipped and used as items. Each will have some sort of magical effect and can be used to solve puzzles.

Well, thoughts or comments are welcome. There will soon be a topic in the WIP section when I post the debug room for the game.

Edited by Bocophobic, 26 March 2009 - 01:45 PM.

#2 Zezuken

Zezuken

AKA: Warriorccc0

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

I don't like your item ideas, or the idea of using the instruments.

Should stick to the same style, but maybe add a bonus one or two dungeons, with maybe a extra item for both, but remember: Keep it simple.

#3 joethedumblr

joethedumblr

GMC Member

• 253 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

I dont understand why people focus on stealing LORE and not style/gameplay/design, etc.

#4 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

If you include the Select Warp Cheat in a version true to the original, you might keep it original in my opinion. I loved beating the whole game in the two-player mode with Marin. Perhaps if you expanded a bit on that, and introduced a few puzzles where Marin and Link had to work together to go onward?

Also, I support the idea of a OoT-styled LA remake. :)
Still, the new item ideas seems a bit... off. Let me suggest:
  • Gravity Rod --> Cane of Brynna (tMC)
    The Cane of Brynna shoots away a spinning energy that can flip things over (e.g. those turtles you had to shieldblock to flip over),or Jars that flies up in the air, topples over, and breaks when they hit the ground. Also, casting this energy into a 1x1 tile wide hole would charge it with an energy, that made one jump very high by jumping into the hole. Like a spring in SMB, for instance.
  • Baba Seeds --> Deku Nuts (OoT)
    Stuns enemy if thrown into its face. It's that simple.
  • Wind Axe & Pegasus Boots --> Ball and Chain (TP)
    A huge iron ball attached to a chain. Can be thrown at certain objects to break them, but leaves you vulnerable when charging it up. Either "Most enemies can dodge it.", or "Place Key Cavern later in the game than Level 3"
And equipping the Siren Instruments... why???

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#5 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the comments. I was putting ideas out there for items that 'have not been done yet,' so rather than just rip items from the other Zelda games, I thought perhaps incorporate something new. For example, the Ball and Chain in TP sure seemed really 'off' to me, in that it had never been done before, didn't seem really necessary and was pretty random, but still it had it's uses as an item, and it was something different. I liked the idea of Chomp Chomp helping Link eat bad guys so the idea for the Deku Baba came from that.

As for the instruments, I supposed an effect similar to the songs in OoT might have added more depth to the gameplay, as well as give more purpose to the instruments rather than just look pretty in the flashing tiles in the menu.

Perhaps one instrument can change the game from night to day, another song can make it rain, etc. etc.

Considering that the game will be in proper 3D Zelda style, I don't think the warp cheat will apply.

**Keep the comments coming. Seriously, the project is just for fun, and it's not like its a commercial product, so there's no point in acting like a douche. Why not contribute some helpful ideas?

Edited by Bocophobic, 20 March 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#6 Zezuken

Zezuken

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

**Keep the comments coming. Seriously, the project is just for fun, and it's not like its a commercial product, so there's no point in acting like a douche. Why not contribute some helpful ideas?

If you can't stand people then you shouldn't of made a topic in the first place.

And of course people will complain, making a crappy, half-baked fan game is not too good.

#7 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:57 AM

Well obviously no one wants crappy fan games. They hurt they eyes. However, considering that you have not seen the project yet, I'd ask that you not jump to conclusions, although I do not blame you for jumping the gun and thinking that the project will blow just like any other.

I created the topic to include people and share thoughts, not for people to act like jerks.

If you anyone is curious to see how Link's in-game model has turned out, you can see here:

Link Game Model Complete
(Image also in top post)
And for a bit for information, I've been in game development for 6 years and do plenty of my own original games. This game is running on a powerful 3D engine and the game runs at 60 fps without any difficulty, and it does play like a true blue 3D zelda game. The graphics have a much higher poly count than Ocarina of Time, and will have a color scheme to Wind Waker. Feel free to make more comments when I release a beta debug room in a few days.

Edited by Bocophobic, 21 March 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#8 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Well obviously no one wants crappy fan games. They hurt they eyes. However, considering that you have not seen the project yet, I'd ask that you not jump to conclusions, although I do not blame you for jumping the gun and thinking that the project will blow just like any other.

I created the topic to include people and share thoughts, not for people to act like jerks.

If you anyone is curious to see how Link's in-game model has turned out, you can see here:

Link Game Model Complete
(Image also in top post)
And for a bit for information, I've been in game development for 6 years and do plenty of my own original games. This game is running on a powerful 3D engine and the game runs at 60 fps without any difficulty, and it does play like a true blue 3D zelda game. The graphics have a much higher poly count than Ocarina of Time, and will have a color scheme to Wind Waker. Feel free to make more comments when I release a beta debug room in a few days.

From the sound of it, it doesn't sound like its made with GM. No offense.

#9 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

The uses U3D for the 3D aspects of the game so the processing is much more efficient and allows for much more pleasing visuals. Just keep in mind that GM is just a tool, and it is far more powerful than most people care to think. With proficiency, some pretty fancy stuff can be done with GML. Also, I have the first screenshots of the game engine running and you can see Retro Link doing his acrobatics:

View this link to check out the screenshots:
Link's Reawakening Game Engine Screenshots

#10 Zezuken

Zezuken

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

By the look of it you aren't even going for the original, more like blending it with OOT. I was expecting it to be 3d like PH.

I'm not really sure I like the model, nor the new game style.

edit: I also don't like how short his tunic is, or maybe just the leg showing seems odd.

Edited by Zezuken, 21 March 2009 - 10:37 PM.

#11 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated. Have a nice day.

#12 Dizzi D

Dizzi D

GMC Member

• 316 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:18 AM

As awesome as that is, how come you didn't go with the OOT and MM models?
That would've been even more kick-butt and might be easier to manipulate and add new things in since you would have a easier reference(LA was before OOT, right?It would make sense if it was in that style)

But keep up the good work and hurry and get it out into the WIP section.

#13 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for the support but I'm not sure what your question is. If you're asking why I didn't use the existing models of Link, then there are a plethora of answers for you. Copying things and using things that have already is not only unoriginal and inartistic, but pretty irritating. For starters, it would actually NOT be easier to manipulate and add things to because those models do not belong to me and I do not have the various stages of development for the models. It'd be impossible for me to obtain Nintendo's Models.

Secondly, I want this game to look unique and match LA, which featured a different link than OoT (The opening sequence of the game shows Link's face and what not). Also, this game is being made from scratch. This is not a project I'm doing because I don't know how to make my own games yet so I need to copy everything I can. On the contrary, I'm used to developing games completely from ground up, and that means the theme, art direction and gameplay engine.

I'll be working on some of Link's basic attacks and start the Mabe Village map tonight, so hopefully I will have it up for testing within a day or two.

Edited by Bocophobic, 22 March 2009 - 06:34 AM.

#14 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

Dude this game looks incredibly sick.And Idon't say that often now. Well done

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#15 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for that. I think its fair for me to expect a greater amount of negative feedback than positive, considering that countless number of people have started 'omg zeldaremaks!" and considering that this project is so early in production, it just sort of blends in. Anyway, I hope to have some new screens of Link running around Mabe Village soon.

#16 joethedumblr

joethedumblr

GMC Member

• 253 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

I actually think you're doing a pretty bang up job. (at least from what i can make of the screenshots). I just REALLY dont understand why people dont focus their skills on original content instead.

#17 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

I like how this is turning out. Although, the buttons and hearts need to be changed, they don't fit at all.

#18 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

1st, question is this d3d or u3d?

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#19 Zezuken

Zezuken

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

1st, question is this d3d or u3d?

Don't be a lazy arse, read through the topic, he has already stated.

Edited by Zezuken, 22 March 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#20 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hey guys, there are 2 new screenshots for the game, displaying Mabe Village in VERY early production, and Link using Z targetting on a signpost. The link again is Link's Reawakening Game Engine Screenshots

and the two screens are in the top post.

Today I hope to get a few of the items completed as well as add some experimental items (which may likely not be in the final game). Please keep in mind, Link only had 10 items in this game, and the Ocarina, Power Bracelet, Feather, Boots, Powder and Shovel are not all as usable and fun as, say for example a bomb or Bow and Arrow. For the original 2D game, it was fine, but consider this:

How much fun would OoT / WW / TP be if all you got to use was the Bow, Bomb, and secret Boomerang? You don't even get the Fire Rod until the very end. Thanks for checking in!!

And for those afraid of the WoT above, the game is using U3D extension.

EDIT:
Yes, Zezuken, to address your earlier comment, making Link's tunic a tiny bit longer is one of the adjustments I'll be making to the model.

Edited by Bocophobic, 22 March 2009 - 11:04 PM.

#21 Dakota

Dakota

GMC Member

• 101 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

As for me i'd like something new. Like the ability to control your jump. (insted of having to walk off a ledge to jump.) Or maybe a musket. After all u never sed what time he's awakening in. :P

#22 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:26 PM

This game stands apart from the other 3D Zelda games thanks to the Roc's feather. You most definitely can control your jumps. You may jump whenever you feel the urge! Now you won't have to be left out when your friends have a jumping party but you know there aren't any ledges around.

Another experimental item I'm considering is an Ocean Rod / something to counteract the Fire Rod. I'm also strongly considering using the Bomb /Arrow missile glitch in the original game and featuring a major item combination function in the game (Boomerang/Bomb, Powder/Fire Rod, Arrow/Bomb, Powder/Bomb, Fire Rod/Arrow, etc. etc.)

Edited by Bocophobic, 22 March 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#23 Zezuken

Zezuken

• GMC Member
  • 2799 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

After all u never sed what time he's awakening in. :P

Jeez, now I can just imagine Link waking up in like a futuristic place wondering what the hell is going on.

#24 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

I think the last thing we need is Link waking up in the future with his memory missing, teaming up with a strange, annoyingly high-pitched fuzzy animal, embarking on a mismatched journey to recover his memories (sounds like 70% of uninspired video games out there). Link has always been a bomb and bow man. I don't think a gun would seem right but that is just my personal opinion. In that respect, tazers and cell phones wouldn't go well with Link either.

#25 r1k

r1k

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3011 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:22 AM

Another experimental item I'm considering is an Ocean Rod / something to counteract the Fire Rod. I'm also strongly considering using the Bomb /Arrow missile glitch in the original game and featuring a major item combination function in the game (Boomerang/Bomb, Powder/Fire Rod, Arrow/Bomb, Powder/Bomb, Fire Rod/Arrow, etc. etc.)

you should definetly do the item combo thing, I loved shooting bomb arrows in the original.

link down

#26 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

If anyone is interested in voting:
Would anyone like to recommend which enemy(s) to make first? I will take suggestions, and this will be the enemy we get to play with in the upcoming demo.

Alrighty, there are a few new screenshots up in the post, displaying the menu in the works, as well as the new outline style.

Link's Reawakening Screenshots

At the very least, I will allow players to do the bomb missile (attach bomb to an arrow by pulling out a bomb and then using the bow and arrow instead of throwing the bomb), fire rod and arrow to create a fire arrow, and powder / fire rod to create a big explosion.

Again, the Ocean Rod may come into play as a tool to aid in water travels as well as work as a tool to solve the Fire Temple dungeon. Due to the restructuring of the game, and the limited variety of weapons, I will be making the Fire Rod available earlier in the game.

Another experimental tool which I well be testing is the (magic) Cuck Balloon, which may either have a stack inventory or use the magic meter. It will serve a purpose very similar to Cucko's in Ocarina of Time, and should not seem too out of place (Consider that in LA, Link revived a dead Super Cucko and used him to fly around the place.

Weather or not people like the Baba Seeds idea as a weapon, I will still be trying it as an experimental item and through the upcoming demo people can tell me what they think.

#27 r1k

r1k

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3011 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Would anyone like to recommend which enemy(s) to make first? I will take suggestions, and this will be the enemy we get to play with in the upcoming demo.

might as well start at the beggining and make the first enemies you find in the game which I think are octorocks and moblins. Once you have a moblin model though youll be able to make a few enemies since there were a couple different types of moblins.

link down

#28 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:43 PM

Looks great. I never knew GM could use U3D so naturally, it sounded like this wasn't going to be a GM project. I'd say you should begin with Octoroks, moblins, then Keese.

#29 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

Secondly, I want this game to look unique and match LA, which featured a different link (sic!) than OoT (The opening sequence of the game shows Link's face and what not). Also, this game is being made from scratch. This is not a project I'm doing because I don't know how to make my own games yet so I need to copy everything I can. On the contrary, I'm used to developing games completely from ground up, and that means the theme, art direction and gameplay engine

Names are spelled with first letter uppercase.
The same Link as in LOZ and Z2tAoL, if you bother to read the story in the manual to the game. :) After some journey to get knowledge about the world, his ship - evidently - sank.

If you want to add all those items early on... I have a couple of suggestions. First, make the game more action based than LA was originally (Not the city). The original LA was puzzle-based, as you probably know, a GameBoy can't display any number of sprites. But keeping a few TP-style sequences when one battles, say, twelve enemies at the same time, that would be pretty nice.

Also, as for the Fire Rod... it could freakin' kill ANYTHING in two shots, and most generic enemies in only one. If you plan to add THAT early in the game, you should let it be weaker, and then you have to bring it to an altar in Turtle Rock (the place where you get it in the original) to restore its full power. (And you need the full power to beat the boss, of course!).

Also, don't forget the fact that LA indeed had the Hookshot in it!
As for Fire Rod + Bow = fire arrows: ???, wouldn't it be better to just cast fire on the enemies? You should add posioned, paralyzing (or freezing) arrows instead, which could make mushroom hunting more useful. You generally only have to meet Syrup once in the game, and since she's the only ryming character, that's a pity.

Oh, you perhaps should have "Maple Encounters" from the Oracle games, too? From time to time after you've beaten a certain amount of monsters, the witch apprentice Maple rams you with a broom, which makes both her and you drop a lot of stuff all over the place. Then, you just have to run around and collect the most valueable stuff before she does so.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#30 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

Heya guys, there's 3 new screens up.

new screens

Thanks for the thoughts and comments! The remake will present Link with a Magic Meter (which limits his powerhouse Fire Rod, etc). The question why one doesn't use Din's fire instead of a Fire Arrow has to ask think of range, application and Magic Meter. The Fire Rod will be a beast of a weapon so it will obviously consume more Magic. A Fire Rod can be useful in timed puzzles, etc. etc. I do like your idea of having to get it powered up and really would consider a level 2 Fire Rod.

I was programming some of Link's sword techniques and started the fighting engine today and came away from the keyboard with sweaty palms! The game definitely has a TP- action like potential. We can cram many models onto the screen and because Link will have some much more deadly techniques and items in his arsenal, the enemies will be stronger and more plentiful.
LA Link is much more acrobatic than the newer incarnations so his fighting style will match accordingly.

The octorok is in the oven!! I will post new screens once the model is up!
Also, I have programmed Lily's Bell (siren instrument), Powder, Bomb, and Roc's Feather into the game so far, and now you may grab and throw/drop rocks and what not.

(The Power Bracelet is no longer an item, but a treasure, so one doesn't need to equip it to pick things up)

Edited by Bocophobic, 24 March 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#31 Bocophobic

Bocophobic

GMC Member

• 287 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hey guys!! A playable demo is coming out within a few hours, so watch the WIP section! I've off to work but once I'm back, I'll iron out a few things and post the demo. The sword, shield, bombs, powder, Roc's Feather and Lily's Bell are programmed into the game, and Link may combat a bunch of Octoroks, slash some grass, and overall have a fancy time.

Cheers!
Jerrel

#32 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

I think the last thing we need is Link waking up in the future with his memory missing, teaming up with a strange, annoyingly high-pitched fuzzy animal, embarking on a mismatched journey to recover his memories (sounds like 70% of uninspired video games out there). Link has always been a bomb and bow man. I don't think a gun would seem right but that is just my personal opinion. In that respect, tazers and cell phones wouldn't go well with Link either.

That might expect why I stopped working on "Return of Link", which was supposed to take place in contemporary Hyrule. :) It's supposed to be like Zelda 2 for NES, with things like 40-storey buildings and buses, but for some reason I lost inspiration quite fast.

Spoiler