System Requirements

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sticky Note

Sticky Note

GMC Member

• 1326 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:59 PM

How do you determine the system requirements for a game you have created in Game Maker? Is it a matter of guessing, testing the game on multiple machines, or is there a different way to do it?

One system requirement you should be able to determine right away though - whether it's compatible with Vista or not. :)

Thanks!
Sticky Note

#2 1dinglenuts1

1dinglenuts1

GMC Member

• 99 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

go to hobbel's website, he has a DLL for it

#3 Sticky Note

Sticky Note

GMC Member

• 1326 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:30 AM

Do you have a link? I can't find it.

#4 Dylijn

Dylijn

GMC Member

• 553 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:21 PM

Mmm, I always test my game for memory useage, I play my game and go to taskmanager and search my game and watch its memory usage.
I like to see that DLL too, can someone post a link.

#5 grimmjow

grimmjow

GMC Member

• 817 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, I always find in more popular GM games it lists your system requirements. I was wondering how you calculated the required specifications.

#6 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8285 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

You can't calculate minimum requirements.

You test it on various hardware.

#7 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3137 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Wasn't there a program that told you the system requirements for GM games and applications?

#8 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1829 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

GM itself has minimum system requirements -- DirectX 8 or later, Windows 98 or later (except in GM7, where it's Windows ME and 2000 and later). That will be the same for all games that use GM6 or GM7.

The minimum video memory required can be determined by checking how much video memory your game uses at any given time, which I believe is the screen field plus any additional surfaces you use. I believe surfaces are stored as 32-bit (although perhaps not in 16-bit color mode, but very few people use that).

There's no real way to know the minimum video card required, since they vary so widely and they aren't on a continuum or spectrum from 'best' to 'worst'. Some video cards also don't support GM surfaces, so if you use surfaces you will reduce the number of computers that can play the game. By how much, I don't know.

The minimum RAM required is somewhat arbitrary because Windows will just use virtual memory when it runs out of RAM, but you can check how much RAM your game uses by pressing ctrl+alt+delete and checking the process. You'd need enough RAM to both run Windows and all the other running processes as well as the game, so you'd need to overestimate. For instance, if your game uses 180 MB of RAM at most, you could estimate that your minimum recommended RAM requirement is 512 MB of RAM. Minimum RAM will also depend on the user's operating system though, as some operating systems use more RAM to run than others.

Minimum processor will depend on how CPU-intensive your game is. I find that games that use more scripting every step require faster CPUs, because there's a lot of interpretation going on for them. But usually any game will run regardless of the CPU, it'll just run slower if it's a CPU-intensive game. Usually the CPU will not be the bottleneck though, the video card is usually the part limiting the frame rate.

But yes, it's best to actually test the game out on as many computers as possible in order to help you estimate minimum requirements.

#9 Sticky Note

Sticky Note

GMC Member

• 1326 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

@rinkuhero: Wow, that was very helpful. Thanks!

#10 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:32 AM

GM itself has minimum system requirements -- DirectX 8 or later, Windows 98 or later (except in GM7, where it's Windows ME and 2000 and later). That will be the same for all games that use GM6 or GM7.

Gm7 itself, can't be used in Win98, but games made with GM7 work fine on my Win 98 pc.

~DD

#11 rinkuhero

rinkuhero

Paul Eres

• GMC Member
  • 1829 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:44 AM

Gm7 itself, can't be used in Win98, but games made with GM7 work fine on my Win 98 pc.

~DD

Ah, that's interesting. I assumed GM7 not working in Win98 meant the games wouldn't either, but I guess they do (or at least some of them). I think there's a particular part of GM7 that's incompatible with Win98, something like the rich text viewer in the info screen or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users