#1 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

SUPERSOLDAT OPEN SOURCE

main site: wilbefast.com/showcase/supersoldat
indiedb: http://www.indiedb.c...mes/supersoldat

Supersoldat is a "character driven" platform game - it's all about the cool things the character can do, and he can do a lot of cool things. The game is unconventional as platform games go because you have extremely limited control of your character's movement while he is airborne - in this sense it is similar to Prince of Persia or the Abe games: to jump you need a run up - likewise for a flying kick to be effective, you need to be flying!

Posted Image

I started building this in my early days of Gamemaker use, but when I didn't know how to use any GML (so no AND or ORs), scripts, parents, particle systems and otherwise a good 90% of the program's potential - I learnt as I built it, and thanks to working harder rather than smarter I managed to create a game that a lot of people have really enjoyed (and been astounded by it's humble foundations), with loads of levels, good enemy AI, stealth, guns, explosives, martial arts attacks, water, switches, animated save point, menu, acid and many more awesome things, all done solely using DnD.

For more information see the game's Original thread.

:) Links need to be redone now that WillHostForFood has crashed - head over to the game's new homepage for an exe download link, and PM me if you want the source too.

Posted Image

The reason I'm releasing this is that I've now moved on to using all the things I did without, and there's no going back really. I hope this helps those who are just starting to understand what goes into making a game of this complexity, bearing in mind that using GML I can probably rebuild this game better in a couple of months if that, compared to the 2 and a half years I worked on it originally (albeit on and off) ;)

Use this for whatever you want, commerical or not, but let me know if you do - I'm curious to see what people do with this. Also, saying thanks would be nice.

Cheers,

William

Edited by Wilbo, 10 August 2010 - 09:45 AM.

Supersoldat: My first and most complete game - DnD only and now open source!

Abomination: My current project - harder, faster, better looking but totally ignored by the community at large. Check it out, I need feedback!

#2 HipHopHobo

HipHopHobo

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Kl source
A What... Yes I just thought of a awesome signature but bye the time I have typed in this I will forget!
Ah crap what was it again?

#3 Chaos_Zero

Chaos_Zero

GMC Member

• 111 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

This is one of the best pure DnD games I've seen with game maker.

Nice job.

#4 Dominguez23

Dominguez23

GMC Member

• 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Nice work, very cool game!

Thanks for sharing the source!

Edited by Dominguez23, 10 March 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#5 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

This game is so much fun. I remember playing it all the time. I wish you'd make a sequel.

#6 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

Kl source

What does KI mean?

This game is so much fun. I remember playing it all the time. I wish you'd make a sequel.

Mabye, one day - for the moment I'm working on Abomination

Abomination: My current project - harder, faster, better looking but totally ignored by the community at large. Check it out, I need feedback!

#7 Macx

Macx

GMC Member

• 265 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

If this is what it sounds like, it's just what I was looking for! Thanks bro, I'll post what I think in a few minutes :D

-Macx

EDIT: It's awesome! Thanks so much for source :)

Edited by Macx, 11 March 2009 - 08:47 PM.

Lameblahh...

#8 1dinglenuts1

1dinglenuts1

GMC Member

• 99 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

nice, character can get a little fast though
][_,([])][_,'z u fail

#9 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

nice, character can get a little fast though

The beauty of open source is that if you don't like it, you can change it. Anyway, thanks for all the comments - it's great to here that this is helpful - I should thank Cocopuffs for more or less mentoring me when I first started - I think he was the one who suggested I make it open source too. Reckon I'll be releasing the source code of all my projects eventually, just not during development and not when they're first released (when I have a new bun well and truely in the oven so to speak).

Abomination builds on Supersoldat's engine as well as porting it over to GML - I'm hoping to be able to release my own platform engine eventually.

William

#10 alphaskullproductions

alphaskullproductions

GMC Member

• 240 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

Hey man. This is awesome aye. I congradulate you for making this in DnD only. That is a hard thing to do. I am going to use this open source engine to make a great game. I WILL let you know once I am finished it.

Edited by alphaskullproductions, 17 March 2009 - 05:45 AM.

I have game maker 7 professional!

Take a look at my PLATFORM ENGINE here: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=425663
Remember to post any ideas you may have.

#11 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Hey man. This is awesome aye. I congradulate you for making this in DnD only. That is a hard thing to do. I am going to use this open source engine to make a great game. I WILL let you know once I am finished it.

Lol - the first thing I did when I got gamemaker was the platform games tutorial - I had no programming experience whatsoever, so obviously couldn't write GML - instead I took my finished platformer and added stuff to it - several years later we have Supersoldat 7.3: in other words I didn't do it in DnD beacause I wanted to be clever, but because I honestly wasn't clever enough to do it any other way.

Around version 7.0 I took a gamemaker test - it said I was a "brand new" user :D I'm up to my elbows in scripts and parents these days - there's really nothing in gamemaker that I can't do, and I'm likely to switch to C++ within the next year or so because I'm seeing the program's limitations more and more...

#12 alphaskullproductions

alphaskullproductions

GMC Member

• 240 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

You should make a platform engine in GML using the same basis as supersoldat. The hanging, wall rebounding, AI and swimming. That would be sweet.

#13 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

You should make a platform engine in GML using the same basis as supersoldat. The hanging, wall rebounding, AI and swimming. That would be sweet.

I'm doing the same thing, sort of, with Abomination, but I figure there are better programmers out there than me - there are already a couple of platform engines that do one or two things mine can't (say Fox or Jenner's for example - speaking of which, I showed him my code and he's... disappeared...). The trouble is that I'm "alright" at a lot of things but not "great" at anything - I can do my own design and sprites and code, but none of these things are fantastic.

I am thinking of redoing Supersoldat in GML someday but it doesn't do to have too many side projects at once <_< - for now I'm considering including Sieben (the main character) as an unlockable character in my secret project, which means giving him a look/code makeover :whistle:

#14 alphaskullproductions

alphaskullproductions

GMC Member

• 240 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

That sounds awesome. I have an idea to get me some money since im not the most wealthy person out there. I want to have a platform engine that is easily edited with minimal amount of sprites to change/add and has the features of your game. I cant say my idea though online ae lol. I love your spriting aye. I think you should also make a platform character maker with the basic naked body of the soldat character and have different clothes/colors etc to add on.

I would make in but the sprite would be hard to animate lol with the items and clothing.

#15 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:14 PM

That sounds awesome. I have an idea to get me some money since im not the most wealthy person out there. I want to have a platform engine that is easily edited with minimal amount of sprites to change/add and has the features of your game. I cant say my idea though online ae lol. I love your spriting aye. I think you should also make a platform character maker with the basic naked body of the soldat character and have different clothes/colors etc to add on.

I would make in but the sprite would be hard to animate lol with the items and clothing.

It's easy enough to superimpose images but they have a habit of tearing apart when the object is travelling too fast - in other words, for an RPG where your dude is just walking around it's fine, but for something like this where he's sprinting the clothes tend to get left behind. I'm working on way of doing this and I've managed to minimise the tear, but it's still not perfect. We'll have to see.

You may have noticed that there's a left and right version of all the sprites - the sensible thing to do would be to set "image_xscale" to "Direction" but when I started I was using the free version so didn't have access to that function, and when I finally bought it I couldn't be bothered going back and changing everything...

#16 alphaskullproductions

alphaskullproductions

GMC Member

• 240 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

Haha true. What I was meaning is make a different program that has the character animations as still images like a strip and add the clothes like that and save as an image file. Oh and how do you make such great animations?

Edited by alphaskullproductions, 26 March 2009 - 05:48 AM.

#17 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:50 AM

Haha true. What I was meaning is make a different program that has the character animations as still images like a strip and add the clothes like that and save as an image file. Oh and how do you make such great animations?

A childhood wasted drawing little stick men beating eachother up probably. I also went online to look for references when I couldn't visualise something or got my little brother to walk around for me (little brothers are super handy).
As for the clothes, you'd be suprised how much goes in animating them, since unless they're skin tight they're liable to flap around - it's an interesting idea though - I'd have to use layers which of course gamemaker can't do (Gimp anyone?). The simplest thing I guess would be some sort of stickman animation pack, with stickmen doing various actions (climbing, running, etc) that people can colour in themselves - I'm a game programmer you see, I want to do fun stuff, and leave the being clever to the clever people :(

#18 alphaskullproductions

alphaskullproductions

GMC Member

• 240 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:03 AM

I have been influenced by you. I got the game maker tutorial and added some stuff onto it.

#19 MattC

MattC

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hey can anyone else send me the open source file? Wilbo hasnt been on this website, it says for a couple weeks... anyways it would be really helpful!

#20 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

Hey can anyone else send me the open source file? Wilbo hasnt been on this website, it says for a couple weeks... anyways it would be really helpful!

Hold your horses! I'm in Italy at the moment: I'll try to get the files up onto indiedb in the near future, and I'll provide a link - right now I'm out of battery and using a dodgy wifi though :-S

In future, probably better to contact me via
wilbefast.com
and
www.indie.com/wilbefast or www.moddb.com/wilbefast
which are checked and updated a lot more frequently ;-)

#21 MattC

MattC

GMC Member

• 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hold your horses! I'm in Italy at the moment: I'll try to get the files up onto indiedb in the near future, and I'll provide a link - right now I'm out of battery and using a dodgy wifi though :-S

In future, probably better to contact me via
wilbefast.com
and
www.indie.com/wilbefast or www.moddb.com/wilbefast
which are checked and updated a lot more frequently ;-)

Oh thanks man! Sorry I jumped the gun. This just looks too good to pass up. Thanks again!

#22 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:11 AM

Source should be available on indiedb in the next few hours (it needs to be authenticated). It is litterally raining here, like *on me* so I'll leave it at that. Remember that this is my first ever game, so the code is pretty messy :-S

William