Core Information
Made in: GM7 Pro.
Filesize: 9MB.
Fullscreen: Optional.
Changes resolution: No.
--------------------
Screenshots: [1] [2]
--------------------
This is a simple puzzle platformer about two friends who set out to save one of the friends' girlfriend. It can be played by one or two people and all controls are explained in the 'How to play' area (which I strongly recommend reading first). It was the 1st place winner of the Zerosoft Games' Retro Competition.
--------------------
A complete walkthrough on my blog.

-Andrew.

Edited by AndrewAP, 21 March 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#2 deric007

deric007

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

good game but its TOO MUCH glitchy and control are strange

#3 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:23 AM

The controls are nice. I just can't get past the second level in one-player mode...
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View
PM me if one or more of my posted examples have a broken link.

#4 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:37 AM

love the graphics style
gameplay is fun, bit generic for a two player platformer (i.e. mario & luigi superstar saga)
sometimes hard to jump on Wilk's head,
and a bit buggy, but i can overlook that
4/5

Edited by Explicit, 01 March 2009 - 04:38 AM.

#5 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:07 AM

@ deric007: The only glitches I experienced were when the partner tries to follow you, and even that isn't that bad. And what's wrong with the controls?

@ daman123125: Which one are you talking about? The level with the yellow blocks? or the gray blocks?

@ Explicit: Thanks, I got a lot of inspiration from M&L. I've also noticed the jumping bug, but it works almost all of the time.

#6 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

The level with the gray blocks.

I tried to smash it open using the green dude as a weapon, but that didn't work. :P
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tuts/Examples: Ultimate Weapon Arsenal(AI included) | Wall-Jumping | Plasma Pistol/Rifle Overheating System | Cash Register Example | Two Objects In One View

#7 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

The level with the gray blocks.

I tried to smash it open using the green dude as a weapon, but that didn't work. :P

Haha, all you have to do is jump on top of them to destroy them. Only Malky can reach the top though.

#8 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

You should also add a Save/Load feature. It gets annoying that you have to start over with the unskippable cutscene, and do all the puzzles over again.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

If you press space during the cutscene, it'll skip to the first level. I didn't want to add a save feature because I wanted a more 'retro feel' (the old mario games didn't have a save feature, right?).

#10 Hardly

Hardly

GMC Member

• 40 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Sweet graphic work..

'bout the Save feature thingy.. I dont personally believe it is really needed, retro games usually get our attention more easily than any other type of game, and there is a reason.. smalls factors make them different..

Im addicted to the sounds and music, found it perfect.

#11 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

Thanks dude, this is the type of game that can be finished in one sitting, so I figured a save feature would be kind of pointless. I'm glad you like the graphics and sound, I made both of them. The only thing I didn't make was the music (which was made by a friend and one of the guys at the 'Musicians FTW' topic).

Has anyone completed the game yet? I'm considering making a guide...

#12 deric007

deric007

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:45 AM

well it's difficult to jump on the other guy and I don't get the 2nd level in 1 player.
BTW:Control are ok...

#13 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:49 AM

I've just posted a complete walkthrough on my blog for those of you who get stuck. Check the first post.
Hope it helps.

Edited by AndrewAP, 02 March 2009 - 02:56 AM.

#14 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

My time is 50 minutes so far lol....
But I am running the game right now and I can't beat level 29 in one-player mode.
When I went to the walkthrough, it still didn't help me.
EDIT:
Never mind, I'm in level 30 now, and im stuck on part 2.

EDIT2:
I finally got to part 3 but it was too hard, and after 70 minutes I quit the game...
It's really dissapointing; and I know you want it to not have a save feature to make it more retro, but in this type of game, there is so many levels, and I have to admit it'd be much better with a save feature, and it gets really annoying when I get pretty far in the final level, then I die in some way. This game would take so long to finish in one sitting...
Overall, 4/5.

Edited by daman123125, 02 March 2009 - 04:38 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:36 PM

Yikes... Well, at least you tried (?)
I may add a feature in later... Not sure yet.

Also, I just found out right now, that this game won the Zerosoft Games Retro competition, hooray!

#16 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:33 AM

I may add a feature in later... Not sure yet.

what kinda feature?

Also, I just found out right now, that this game won the Zerosoft Games Retro competition, hooray!

mucho grats
didnt know this was in a competition :)

#17 drazzke

drazzke

GMC Member

• 1084 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:25 AM

Really interesting game with great graphics. I really liked the feel of the graphics.

But, I did find the game a little tough to play at some points. I found doing the team jump was much too hard. It also often seemed like the jump height was random, when your team mate flung you into the air. I found this highly annoying. So, although it's a great idea, I found it hard to use, and the jump height unpredictable... Perhaps you could fix this?

Lastly, I didn't find really any bugs except for once getting the main player stuck in the wall when I used him as a weapon, and also once a blue button didn't come back up after I had stepped on it - even after it was supposed to..

Overall, an enjoyable game, but it could use a little smoothing out :blink:

EDIT: And yes, a simple save feature would be VERY useful. You could just use game_save/load

Edited by drazzke, 05 March 2009 - 04:26 AM.

Noel Berry | Portfolio | Twitter | Leap4Blue
Game Maker | PHP/MYSQL | HTML/CSS | Flash/AS3

#18 $pecter

$pecter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1616 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

Yay, I won (with the help of your guide)!

I don't usually like 'trial and error' games, but the fantastic design made up for that. :D

Yes, a save feature would be nice, it can take a pretty long time if you're not good at it.

Edited by $pecter, 06 March 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#19 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

Also, you know what would make it SO much better instead of a save/load feature?
You should make checkpoints on the final level between each part. I hate going back to part one with the slow blobs. I also hate redoing part two since using Malty to jump on the green platforms really fast is hard(I get past part two 3/5 of the time).
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the comments guys!

I've uploaded a new version with a few fixes (currently just the box link, I'm uploading the others now):
-Malky doesn't get stuck after the attack.
-You just have to touch Wilks' head to do the high jump.
-The partner doesn't repeatedly jump into above bricks.
-Removed two enemies from level 20.
-Added secrets in some of the levels.

I've also added a save feature. It saves at the start of each level, so just hit load game on the start menu to pick up where you left off.

Also, just to reply to daman, I figured I might as well leave the last level as it is to leave it as a challenge.

If anyone finds any more bugs, just tell me.

-Andrew.

#21 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Pretty nice game... It was kinda hard to jump on the other guys head though.
I loved the comedy, haha..

-orange08

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#22 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:37 AM

Still can't get Malky to get to part 4 dammit....

You should probably have more platform monster chances, because it's annoying to go back to part 1 when you screw up with the platform monster in part 3.
Also, the gravity is pretty high.
I know you want it to be challenging without some kind of checkpoints, but imo, it's annoying to go way back to part 1 if you mess up somewhere. And by annoying I mean ANNOYING, not challenging.
Part 1 is too easy, since the monsters are so slow, so part 1 kind of wastes your time.

Sorry if this sounded harsh in a way, but I really want to see the ending. :/
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:07 AM

What part is it that you're having trouble on? Is it the green monster's in part three? or is it the spikes on the roof in part four? or maybe something else?

#24 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:16 AM

I can't get Malky past that spike roof in part 4(the one you mentioned) because his fat little body pushes him down too fast(I mean gravity is too high). :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:22 AM

Wow, I didn't think that was that hard...
You can jump it, you pretty much have to just tap the jump button as you come on screen or wait until you're higher than the floor, then jump.

#26 daman123125

daman123125

AZN Game Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 1957 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

When I jump when I'm higher than the floor, I hit the spikes. XD

Of course it isn't hard for you, you made the game. :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

The engine has a few bugs. And it would be nice to be able to save. I know you wanted a retro-feel, but this is a puzzle-game. It isn't fun to play a level again in a puzzlegame, it's just boring. I really like the graphics, but the text is extremly tiny..

#28 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:30 AM

The engine has a few bugs. And it would be nice to be able to save. I know you wanted a retro-feel, but this is a puzzle-game. It isn't fun to play a level again in a puzzlegame, it's just boring. I really like the graphics, but the text is extremly tiny..

Where did you download it from? The Box mirror links to a version with fixed bugs and a save system. I have yet to fix the yoyo and gmarcade links.

#29 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

Just thought I'd post to say that I've updated this again, fixing a few bugs and so on.
Also, this was featured on IndieGames.com, so I'm super stoked.

-Andrew.

#30 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

I just added another update.
Just for you, daman, there is now a checkpoint in the final level. I've also added a 'Redux' mode that changes the graphics in-game (visit the options). I've had complaints about the controls, to they were changed too. Look at the how to play mode for more information.

#31 gamewizkid

gamewizkid

GMC Member

• 436 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

Now I'm pretty sad. I like this game and everything, it's just my game looks a bit like that game. I'll pm you what it looks like. Everyone will think I copied your art style. Oh well. I'll show you though.
Imagine a large mansion. And imagine that it has light, reflected off of the very large moon at night. Now imagine rain. Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain. Now imagine a light flickering in one or two of the windows of the mansion. And finally, imagine a cinder block and some sort of burnt trophy, laid on the side of the house; pieces of broken metal and wiring is twisted over and under them. Then imagine that the flickering lights turn off. Now the moon turns off. Did you like that? go here to read the full story...and PM me about it if you liked or didn't like it...

#32 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Now I'm pretty sad. I like this game and everything, it's just my game looks a bit like that game. I'll pm you what it looks like. Everyone will think I copied your art style. Oh well. I'll show you though.

Haha, well everyone thinks I copied Psychosomnium, so I guess it doesn't matter.

#33 Sharkiedude

Sharkiedude

GMC Member

• 813 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:50 AM

It's awesome. However, when I got to the "magician's tower", the dialogue looped endlessly and I couldn't exit out properly or move very far.

I got past that thing anyway by rapidly pressing enter and holding right. Never mind. But fix that. It's a good thing you put a checkpoint in.

And the game stopped doing stuff after the girl said "Is he the one who always bakes cakes?".

Edited by Sharkiedude, 28 May 2009 - 04:42 AM.