Photo

Gm7 Fails To Load---not Softwrap...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 7700198

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:08 AM

like, last week my GM7 crashed and now every time i try to open it absolutely nothing happens :D . no errors or anything, it just doesn't run.
the first error (when it crashed last week)
was one of those
"the memory at reference etc""press ok of cancel to debug the program." :)

I have basically tried everything, i have reinstalled GM, deleted every trace of it and gotten the whole install and the pro files back but it still fails to open. plus i don't want to have to like reinstall windows or anything to fix it.

#2 bearSoft

bearSoft

GMC Member

• 1002 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

I have basically tried everything

see thats where its get difficult.. If -everything- has been tried it is really difficult to think of anything new..
But-
-What- exactly did you do to your computer before the first fail?
Did you install something?
Did you remove something?
think botht sw ao hw

What about your activeX installation -Have you run a test?

Do you have isues with other installations than gm?

Does older gm installs still work (if you have any..)

Proggy failures can be a -drag- A somewhat secure way to tackle this isue in respect to sw, is to always create fallbackpoints before making a change to the programs

Good luck!

#3 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9402 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:23 AM

You could try doing a system restore to return to a date before GM stopped working.

#4 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1126 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

When you deleted every trace of it, did you delete the registry entries for both YoYo Games and Softwrap, and the Softwrap folder in documents and settings?

#5 7700198

GMC Member

• 23 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:54 AM

I don't remember doing anything differently (installing new stuff, uninstalling stuff), i used gm7, it crashed and failed to reload.
and yes, i deleted every trace of every findable registry key and temp file.

my activex appears to be fine
i have no system restore points from before it died
gm6 still works but (nearly) all of my other gm7 stuff now doesnt (i can still use "non pro gm7", so i can save some stuff)

P.S there is no way i will reinstall windows (bad record with that)

P.P.S i am running windows X.P

#6 bearSoft

bearSoft

GMC Member

• 1002 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

i can still use "non pro gm7"

but then its -is- a registration / softwrap problem -not a gm general problem
Thats also evident with the fact that gm6 runs (and why i asked)
Basically the difference from 61 to 7 is non-existent..
Your problem is with registration or running 'registrated' eg pro
I think there used to be a thread that explained how to remove absolutely everything in respect to softwrap -do a search on softwrap
Softwrap is a rootkit. Rootkits is intrincic evil and can cause serious problems, some more than others.
YYG must choose a different theft-protect method for upcoming releases, the current is highly dubious.
Bottom line -you have not removed hidden parts of the rootkit

#7 Gooner

Gooner

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:40 AM

I don't believe Softwrap is in fact a rootkit so I wouldn't just state that. I have done a fair amount of research and they are actually quite unobtrusive on your system.

With regards to the error, Softwrap errors will almost always come up with an error message with their name on it and I believe that re-installing any Softwrap title will be all that is required especially if you have removed the files mentioned above.

You should also ensure you have full local admin rights when you run the software in order for it to register. I don't think it is the registration though.

Just email support@softwrap.com and you should get a response the same day if it's not a weekend or holiday.

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:05 AM

Softwrap is a rootkit. Rootkits is intrincic evil

I don't believe Softwrap is in fact a rootkit so I wouldn't just state that. I have done a fair amount of research and they are actually quite unobtrusive on your system.

Now that you've solved that ancient mystery, maybe you can tell us who killed JFK.

#9 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3534 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:40 AM

Two things:
Have you got IE installed?
Have you tried running 8.0 or 8.1?

Edit: on xp, when i installed 8.1 i used to get an error like the one you described when trying ot access the news, because i had IE messed up.. softwrap uses IE, so its a good assumption.

Edited by manuel777, 27 April 2011 - 03:45 AM.

#10 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Never you mind!

• GMC Member
  • 7526 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:50 AM

Now that you've solved that ancient mystery, maybe you can tell us who killed JFK.

Hitler.

#11 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7185 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

It always amuses me when someone bumps a 2-3 year old topic to answer an ancient question. Even funnier when other members start posting as if the question were asked yesterday. :D

Fortunately, the OP (7700198) is still around. So I PM'd him to ask whether he still wants answers to his 2-year-old question.

Edited by chance, 27 April 2011 - 10:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users