• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:10 PM

ABOMINATION

Take on the role of a bizarre, half corpse, half machine... thing, as it searches for its lost teddy bear. Run, jump, climb up and slide down walls, rebound and hang from the roof. Always remember that Teddy = Good and Pain = Bad.

GM Version: GM7
File Size: 1.51MB
Screen Resolution: Fullscreen 640 x 480
Changes Screen Resolution: no

This has been my main project for a while now - unlike Supersoldat* it's been planned out in advance and is written entirely in GML. We're now up to the second "Surface Demo" - the movement animations and engine and pretty much finished at this point, so I can move on to cooler stuff: there are 20 rooms now, all nicely decorated and with a gradual difficulty slope (new moves are introduced slowly) - the lack of direction is voluntary: I'm trying to make the controls intuitive!

*Supersoldat

^_^ to download the game, head over to its new homepage - from there you get get files from ModDB or TheGameHippo.

Posted Image
image2
image3
image4

This is basically an alpha test - no sound or music yet, these will come in time, so don't bother commenting on their absence. I need feedback on:

- Ground movement (friction, acceleration)
- Jumping (height, gravity)
- Spark/Wood Chip/Blood effects (original sparks were part of the sprite, not particles)
- Wall running (climb and slide speed)
- Roof climbing (speed, control scheme)
- Tiles, and embellishments (pillars, spikes, windows, etc)
- Surface mechanics
- Magnetise powerup (buff art, should it be permanent, last longer, etc)
- Animations added so far
- Bugs, crashes, etc
- Teddy

William

Edited by Wilbo, 03 February 2010 - 09:52 AM.

Supersoldat: My first and most complete game - DnD only and now open source!

Abomination: My current project - harder, faster, better looking but totally ignored by the community at large. Check it out, I need feedback!

#2 TD Games

TD Games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1304 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

urgh... Where's the link?

#3 TehName

TehName

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

http://willhostforfo...ad&fileid=55617

There. Used my eyes, you know? ^_^

The engine is amazing and the graphics are great except for walls and ground.

Edited by TehName, 19 February 2009 - 06:59 PM.

#4 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

urgh... Where's the link?

I posted this in a hurry just as the library was closing so it was a bit messy - I've tidied it up now and hopefully it'll be easier to find the link - I've also compressed it (zip format) so the size is down from 2.32 to 1.31MB - forgot to do that before, my bad.

I'm working on different wall materials - wood, metal and stone - and depending on what you're climbing on you'll have different degrees of friction: some walls and most roofs will not be climbable.

In the demo you can slide down a wall until you're hanging by one claw, with sparks appearing in mid air - I've changed and it looks a lot more realistic. I've also added an animation for getting up when you've been knocked down, and made a start on hanging off ledge, which will work much like in Supersoldat (right now you teleport on top of a ledge if you climb onto it, and no animation is played). Also working on more animations to smooth the transitions between different states (climbing, hanging, etc).

New versions will be released a little less frequently than before - I've decided it's better policy to work towards the final game than demo milestones, but each time I finish adding a new element I'll be doing a period of testing, and actually listen to people when they say the game is crap. Each demo will thus have a very precise goal in mind and look at a very precise aspect of the game (like Supersoldat's AI alpha testing). The plan at the moment looks something like this:

- Basic movement and animations
- Surfaces and Water
- Combat attacks
- Enemy AI
- Stealth and lighting
- AI conversations

Edited by Wilbo, 20 February 2009 - 12:11 PM.

Abomination: My current project - harder, faster, better looking but totally ignored by the community at large. Check it out, I need feedback!

#5 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

This is actually pretty good. I was put off by the graphics however, and i'm sure most people will be. The character looks great, but the background and the block give it a noobish feel which is complete false advertising. The game is programmed very well, it works fantastically and the character design is very interesting as is the end of level goal, aka teddy. I like it, i'd just like to see some better blocks and backgrounds that match the style of the character.

LD-Logo-sml.png

#6 zah

zah

GMC Member

• 50 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Very good! I really like all the logical thinking it makes

#7 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:58 AM

Very good! I really like all the logical thinking it makes

I'm glad someone commented on the graffiti - I'm wondering whether or not to include it in the new build, since it already looks fantastic without (it was added to distract from the original lack of tiles and background).

This is actually pretty good. I was put off by the graphics however, and i'm sure most people will be. The character looks great, but the background and the block give it a noobish feel which is complete false advertising. The game is programmed very well, it works fantastically and the character design is very interesting as is the end of level goal, aka teddy. I like it, i'd just like to see some better blocks and backgrounds that match the style of the character.

Lol - I'm loving the "actually" - got exactly the same comment for Supersoldat: generally I'm a function over appearance sort of guy and for this first build I just wanted to get the movement engine out the door before working on tiles. Now that I've differentiate surfaces (Wood, Metal and Rock) though, tiles have become nessecary so I've got round to making some - the build I'm currently working on looks like this:

(edit: images moved to first post now that new build has been released)

And that's not including embellishment (stain glass windows, pillars, etc) which have also been made - This build will be released within the next couple of days - all the code has been done, I just need to build a few more levels (which, by the way, takes about twice as long now that there are tiles to add). I'll go into exactly what changes have been made when I release it, suffice to way there's a ton of new stuff in the tube for you guys - however, it won't be released until the build goals have been met and the demo works like a stand alone game.

Also, I have no internet at home, only at uni and I can only get at it during the week, when I have a very full timetable. Because of this I'll be collecting feeback and bug reports during the week, working on the new build during the weekend and releasing each minigame when it's ready, though I'm hoping for something like every two weeks (I've just finished a week of holidays - I won't have so much free time now).

watch this space,

William

Edited by Wilbo, 24 February 2009 - 04:49 PM.

#8 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

That looks awesome, loving the tiles and the triangles are bad thing lol. i respect the progress, it looks really good.

LD-Logo-sml.png

#9 Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

Andrew Brophy

• GMC Member
  • 668 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:22 AM

Wow, I haven't been to the WIP forum in ages, and when I decided to check it out again, I come across this.
This looks really promising. Obviously when you get some backgrounds and music happening, this'll be one awesome game.
I look forward to that time.

#10 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys - okay so, the new build is finished! I didn't want to release something that I wasn't totally satisfied with (I sometimes left bugs in Supersoldat and hoped than nobody would notice, or built the level around them). It's been up since this morning but I didn't have time to post the announcement, so here it is:

Download "Abomination Surface Demo"

This is the second build to be released, featuring and improved movement engine, more animations and oodles of background eye candy - most importantly, there are now 3 different types of "Surface" to run on, climb up and hang from, hence the name of the build: Rock is the default surface you're used to, Wood provides the best traction and can be hung from and Metal is slippery unless you are magnetised.

BTW - The images are old: I've added decorations since then but forgot to take screen captures of the newest release - I'll post some new images tomorrow.

Changes since last version:

• Added different Surfaces: Rock, Metal and Wood
  • Added Rock, Metal, Wood and Spike tile sets
  • Changed sprite collision masks to stop character "hovering" over tiles
  • Added Embellishments
  • Player can now cling to cliff edges, mantle up and lower down - all animated
  • Rebuilt hanging engine to accomodate surfaces
  • Changed the animations for hanging from the roof
  • Added particle effects for climbing across roof
  • Added transition animation for getting up when stunned
  • Improved death mechanic
  • Added blood particle effects for spikes
  • Player can no longer slide down into thin air
  • Player can no longer edge out into thin air
  • Tweaked ground movement - less "fidgety"
  • Added "Magnetise" powerup with accompanying buff art
  • Fixed litterally scores of bugs that arrose while implementing these features
Next build (coming soon-er or later): Water Demo

Technically this is a third movement engine build, so they'll be a lot of tweaks between now and this build. The addition of Water is the next "big thing" though, so the next build will be called "Abomination Water Demo". The Abomination will short-circuit and die if it falls into the water, unless it has a special upgrade. He/she/it is also too heavy to swim, but doesn't need to breath, so can run along the bottom and so on as if he/she/it were in the air, though there will of course be changes in traction and friction.

Here are a list of proposed changes before the next build - please let me know what you think!

• Rebuild and add to embellishment assets
  • Differentiate animations for airborne player, depending on horizontal and vertical speed
  • Add transition "Climb -> Hang" and "Hang -> Climb" animations
  • Add fall damage and animations
  • Add animations for dying on spikes
  • Add "Rotten Wood" object = wood that breaks if you hang from it for too long
  • Make Water - it should be done so that it's easy to add to levels
  • Add death animation for short-circuiting in water
  • Add "Waterproof Circuits" upgrade
  • Build Water movement engine and animations (if needed)
  • Add ability to walk (?)
  • Fix all known bugs

Cheers,

William

Edited by Wilbo, 25 February 2009 - 11:49 AM.

#11 Indecom4000

Indecom4000

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1636 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

This is fastly becoming something pretty awesome wilbo. one thin i noticed is that it would be nice to have more frames in the ceiling crawl animation and the teddy grabbing anim, other than that, this is pretty damn sweetness.

LD-Logo-sml.png

#12 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

This is fastly becoming something pretty awesome wilbo. one thin i noticed is that it would be nice to have more frames in the ceiling crawl animation and the teddy grabbing anim, other than that, this is pretty damn sweetness.

I'll look into the ceiling... swing (?) - I actually have a feeling that's one of the longer animations in the game, with full left then right arm cycles (or right then left).
As for grabbing the teddy - I don't want to invest too much time in something that's placeholder, and the "teddy getting" gameplay mechanic is placeholder, as is the picking up of magnets - I'm not entirely sure how magnetisation will work in the final game - it may be a permanenent upgrade that allows you to access new areas, or a temporary powerup, or a combination of the two. The Teddy's become rather iconic though - I think I'll have to include it in the game somehow...

Anyway, now that this project has been more or less proof of concept(ed?), at least when it comes to the movement engine, I'll make a start on explaining the idea and backstory behind it:

The game takes place in the early 19th centuary in a castle dating from the dark ages, destroyed and rebuilt on many occasions but now more or less fallen into ruin. The family that owned this castle for generations has all but died out - only one member remains, and he is an old man with no children. This man is an inventor, and has dedicated his whole life to science - in particular he wants to create a companion, because while he chooses to avoid the "ignorants" in the village below he is very lonely.
He has managed to create a number of automatons but nothing that called be called a living thing, until, one night, he creates the "abomination" - a living meddly of corpse and machine. The same night the people from the village below, led by a zealous priest, decide to storm the castle and kill the inventor for because of his heretical experiments. Traps (created by this rather mad professor to deter such unwanted visitors) are activated but the professor is killed, living you, a hideous mute, alone to survive a castle full of traps and angry, pitch-fork wielding villagers...

More later - for now I've uploaded some up to date screenshots - notice that decorations (pillars, etc) have been added and some of the tiles have been removed (it seemed a little over the top before).

edit: 27/02/09

I don't actually mind that not many people have taken notice of this - to become a hot topic you need to bump the heck out of your topic by replying to everyone who posts and by releasing new updates every 5 minutes. The problem with this is that, since you need to break your game to add stuff to it, the more frequently you release updates the more time is "wasted" opening it up and stitching it back together. The new update's coming along fairly well though - I've done a couple of the dot points already :whistle:
- Variable jumping animations built and (tricky part) implemented (image_index=4.3-0.01*power(vspeed,2))
- Smoother swinging animation (thanks to Indecom for pointing that out - it was indeed rather choppy)
- New embellishments
- Made a start on new rooms

William

Edited by Wilbo, 27 February 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#13 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

Haven't finished the new build in time for this week - been a bit caught up with work - really work I mean, not the fun sort. If only this was my job, I'd certainly be productive...

Anyway, for your delight and delectation, here are a few development screenshots:

(images removed to ease page load times)

As you can see I've mostly been working on new art assets - backgrounds, etc, though I have redone the jumping in game: now it looks, and "plays" much more like a pounce (this is important because you will attack enemies by pouncing onto them). Also, I've decided that making a new set of levels each time is all well and good, but I reckon I'll just be adding to the one's I have for now, for two reasons:
A - only 15 people have played the game thus far
B - with the new artwork, levels take a lot longer to build

So I'm going to add water left right and centre for you to fizzle your circuits in, and eventually the upgrade that will allow you to move through it unharmed (in the coming demo I think it will be temporary, so as to suit the room based puzzle gameplay).

Something that's annoying me is how GML won't let you write if !State="Dead" whereas you can in DnD - course, this is about the only way in which it's simpler...

I'm hoping to have the new build finished by the start of next week, fingers cross :-S

Till then, enjoy the pics,

William

Edited by Wilbo, 10 March 2009 - 12:20 PM.

#14 chaz13

chaz13

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4214 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

I tried this a few days ago, and never got round to trying it. I'm not going to say I really enjoyed it, but I did play for quite some time. I found the levels were designed well, and the difficulty curve was nice (although some levels seemed like they were out of place in terms off difficulty). Mos tof the animations were smooth, and the other graphics were great.

The main problem I had was the transition between moves (and the lack of an explanation of the moves you can do). I can't remember exactly, but I think it was going from climbing to hanging on the roof that looked quite bad. A tutorial explaining the different moves you can do would be nice.

Oh, and I liked the power up :mellow:

Good job, and I'll check this out again soon.

#15 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

The main problem I had was the transition between moves (and the lack of an explanation of the moves you can do). I can't remember exactly, but I think it was going from climbing to hanging on the roof that looked quite bad. A tutorial explaining the different moves you can do would be nice.

Yeah, about that - It's on my to do list :mellow:

[*]Add transition "Climb -> Hang" and "Hang -> Climb" animations

It's good that you brought up the lack of direction actually - Supersoldat very much took the player by the hand, like "you have to burn the rop" style - what I'm trying to do here is make the controls intuitive enough that they don't need explaining: I don't plan to use any more than the direction buttons and the space bar for everything (ex: you jump onto an enemy to commence and attack, at which point down becomes claw, left and right become drag, space become kick and up becomes leave).

Also I've tried very hard to set up the levels so that they teach you how to progress without telling you what to do: In the first level where you have to "upside-down-mantle" onto a roof you are sliding down a wooden surface, so have time to decide what to do, this roof is to your left and you know that you can climb on wooden roofs thanks to a previous level - what's more even though you can't know that such a move exists, it's the only solution to the puzzle, so pressing left is, in theory, the obvious solution - however, no matter how obvious this seems to me, I am the designer, and I'm not making this to turn people away, so obviously I need to revisit this one. Thanks for the feedback.

BTW - I did play Gore mabye a fortnight ago, but before I got round to posting feedback you updated/released it (?) so I'm not sure if my comments would be valid. Should a post in the old thread or the new one?

William

Edited by Wilbo, 02 March 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#16 Explicit

Explicit

Destroyer of zeds

• GMC Member
  • 1647 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

i love it,
please, keep it up

#17 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

i love it,
please, keep it up

Thanks man - I will :blink:

Okay, so, new version! Note that I'm saying new "version" not new "build", since this is just an improved Surface Demo - I haven't done water yet because I realised that it wouldn't work with the way my tiles are set up, meaning that I'll have to redo them - before I do so though, I wanted to show you all the cool stuff I've done! There are now background as well as foreground images, and the whole thing looks prettier than ever, with new animations, icon and loading image. There are also a few more, harder levels for anyone who wants a bit of a challenge :(

Download "Abomination Surface Demo 2"

Changes since last version:

• Smoothed hanging movement animation (less choppy now)
  • Added variable sprite images for jumping, depending on direction and speed
  • Changed jump height and range and adjusted levels accordingly
  • Fixed various exploits and rebalenced several levels
  • Added Climbing to Hanging and Hanging to Climbing animations
  • Added many new embellishments and background tiles
  • Gave all existing levels a graphical makeover
  • Added 4 new (challenge) levels
  • Added Teddy icon
  • Started using scripts (I'd like to thank "imperative programming" classes)
  • Lots of under the hood work (to make use of scripts - smarter code)
  • Added Loading Image
  • Game now starts in fullscreen
  • Fixed a whole load of bugs

Phew - now it's time for some serious breakage of what I've made already... *sniff*

EDIT: 06/03/09

Righto! I've been thinking about water for the game - as in Supersoldat I want to be able to raise and lower it, and to do so I'll need switches/buttons/etc - in Supersoldat these were all hard-coded (so if I press a button with this exact id, the door with this exact id opens) this is both inefficient to run and slow to build, so I've developed a new system based on combinatory/sequential logical gates:

Posted Image

This, by the way, is what the game looks like in edit/debug mode - all of these logical gates will be invisible in the actual game just like the blocks (R = Rock, W = Wood, M = Metal, Skull = Spikes). Essentially if I stand on a button it activates all coresponding "Wire Nodes" (A,B,C, etc) which in turn can activate and deactivate eachother based on the logical gates they enter (on the left you can see a basic memory cell, on the right are the "spare" gates). This system is a very quick and easy way of triggering doors, changing water levels and triggering traps without ever having to leave the room editor!

What this means is that I can make a lot of much higher quality levels faster :) So far I've made:

• Pressure Pad switches
  • Wires A to E
  • 2 Entry AND
  • 2 Entry OR
  • 2 Entry NAND
  • 2 Entry NOR
  • NOT
  • ID (also called buffer (?))
  • Divider
  • Memory Cell (the grey "on/off" box does exactly the same thing as the complicated widget on the left)

I'm considering adding:
  • 2 Entry XOR
  • 2 Entry NXOR
  • 3 Entry equivalents for all gates
  • More wires
  • Laser trip-switches
  • Toggle-able Spikes
  • Toggle-able Dart shooter (combine with a trip-switch to make a booby trap)
  • Open/Closeable Doors (can also be used as trapdoors)
  • Activateable Upgrade Stations
  • Activateable Save Points
  • Activateable Teleports
  • Bombs to Defuse? (don't cut the red wire)
  • Drop Bears

William

Edited by Wilbo, 06 March 2009 - 12:28 PM.

#18 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

:) Lol - the fact that nobody gives a toss about this is a source of endless amusement. In the mean time I've built a little demo to show off the circuitry engine, or rather that's what it started off as, but it's evolved into a little program that showcases logical gates and their uses - I built the engine in about 48 hours, but it can handle D-Latchs, Flip Flops, JKs, Additioners - hell, give enough wire objects and I'll build a calculator simulator inside a computer program. We've come a long way from the humble PMOS...

Circuits Teaser

The idea here as I explained above is to define all my objects in advance, so that I can do logic in the editor without having to hard code - for example, if I want switch 103879 or 278102 to open door 100291 then all I have to do is place an "A" marker on each of the buttons and the door. In a nutshell, I can build more interesting levels a lot faster and more easily!

Since finishing this demo (saturday afternoon) I've gone back to the main engine and added the following:

• Switches (automatically draw the correct sprite based what surface they're on).
  • Logic delays (one that delay "on" and another than delays "off" for timers).
  • Door objects that will open and shut.
  • Gibs (for if you're caught under a door).
  • Made a start on moving platforms: elevators and so on (probably the trickiest thing I've made thus far).

Because of the way I check for collisions (if collision at x+hspeed, etc - see Supersoldat: it's now open source) the character never actually intersects the wall during normal collision checking. Thus I've simply made him gib if he finds himself inside the geometry, for example if a door closes on him.

Enjoy,

William

#19 gamegecko

gamegecko

GMC Member

• 308 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

this is amazing..... im jealous really o_o....

engine is almost flawless and makes me say "what?... howd he do that?!"
graphics are great though they could be better
controls need work, this 'intuitive' thing is no excuse, theyre just not anywhere close to easy to get used to
needs SOUND!!!!
levels should be bigger and have enemies (if there are some, i just didnt get to them, in which case, use WAY less training levels)

6/10, if it werent for my ceiling fan i'd have thought i went deaf

#20 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

The feeling and the character is great. It is easy to see that this game is made by the same guy who made super soldat. The smooth animations are outstanding. Their is one thing with the engine I hope you would change. When you are going to climb/slide downwards, you have to face the opposite direction before you can start climbing. This seems a bit stupid, it would be nice if the character turned himself over when you pressed down.

However: This game needs more surprices. More objects and things to do. You will have to cut off a lot of the existing levels, because the player will being too feel bored after a while with no new plaform-objects. The magnet was a nice add.

Great work, I hope to see an update soon!

#21 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Moving solids

I've been trying to build doors lately, and a first I was using a system similar to Supersoldat - in other words, the doors snapped open and shut instantly. Having finished this though I decided it looked a little crummy: the doors would drop down, producing a shower of sparks and gibifying the player, but they shot up just as fast, which looked wierd (does this irk anyone else, or am I OCD?). Because of this I've decided that my doors will raise slowly, and this means moving walls. :D
I've come up against a wall (ha ha) though - the problem is that the engine was not originally intended to support moving wall objects, otherwise I wouldn't have made them solid: I need to be able to define EXACTLY what happens when two objects intersect so I can't have Gamemaker jumping objects around without my permission. Since the engine was built before I learned to use scripts (I find myself using less and less gamemaker functions and more and more of my own), changing it would prove somewhat difficult - a far better idea would be to start again using scripts and rebuild it keeping in mind that moving platforms will be required - this shouldn't take very long since I have all the sprite and a lot of art done already, and the code is suprisingly simple: it just needs a little spring cleaning.

controls need work, this 'intuitive' thing is no excuse, theyre just not anywhere close to easy to get used to

I've got the opportunity to tighten them up a bit, but I need you to be more specific - what action exactly seemed hard to get to grips with? Did you have the same thought as Jenner (below)?

There is one thing with the engine I hope you would change. When you are going to climb/slide downwards, you have to face the opposite direction before you can start climbing. This seems a bit stupid, it would be nice if the character turned himself over when you pressed down.

:) Hurrah! That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for - nice and exacting! I've been thinking of smoothing the turning for some time now since right now you just flip, but I hadn't thought on that . Speaking of turning, the variable "Facing" = {-1,1} at the moment, but I'm thinking of adding a third "Facing state" = 0 (facing towards the screen) so that you turn around more smoothly. I'm also looking at adding a sprite for when you're near an edge , an animation for walking to be used if you only hold down a direction briefly, and variable jumping and movement.

What do you think of these ideas? Since I'm rebuilding the engine it's a good time for suggestions - they'll be much harder to implement this time next week.

levels should be bigger and have enemies (if there are some, i just didnt get to them, in which case, use WAY less training levels)

You can skip levels with enter if you want - there are no enemies yet but there will be - I'm working on algorithmes for my Drop Bear - this should be fun <_<

However: This game needs more surprices. More objects and things to do. You will have to cut off a lot of the existing levels, because the player will being too feel bored after a while with no new plaform-objects.

The levels are going to be cut no matter what - they have no narrative or order and are all screen sized (I'm going to use large rooms with a moving view). Believe me that I don't intend to release a game where all you do is pick up magnets and avoid spikes - they'll eventually be all kinds of doors and traps, water and, yes, enemies - it's important not to add things willy nilly though: the player character is the first priority, and when I'm satisfied that it moves correctly and have added all the objects that it can interact with, then I can make a start on porting those interactions to enemies, and setting up their logic: I have high standards for AI and this time I plan to make it faction based ;)

As for sound, I'm not sure where I can find some good scraping, scatching noises - I know they're important but because of this I don't want to use something shoddy - any suggestions?
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and remember that this is a WIP - don't bother rating it because you'll only have to change your mind when I add more awesome.

William

#22 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

I've been rebuilding the engine of late, which is a little demoralising, especially when it wasn't nessecarily much better at dealing with moving Solids than the original (this time round they're not "solids" but "Solids" - note the difference!). Jenner offered to give me a hand but I haven't heard from him/her so he's probably run off with all my beautiful sprites and ugly code. Generally I wouldn't wish my code on anyone which is way I'm a fan of open source. Either way I've figured out and fixed the problem, so after a brief pause during which I worked on another project with a very new and different art style (see below) I'm back working on Abomination

Anyway, I've added a number of improvements to the engine:

• Turning is not instantaneous anymore
  • New sprite for turning
  • Slide sprite varies depending on speed, making for a smoother transition
  • New sprite for when you're near the edge of a cliff, so as to stop you from leaning on air
  • Far smoother ground movement all told
  • Variable jumping using friction
  • Cloth movement when jumping

This last feature is important - I was wondering to myself how I could draw blood on his claws, how I could animate the cloth for sprites where the subimage represent a given speed (the pounce and fall animations for example had a function determining their image_index, rather than it cycling) and also how I could more efficiently do idle animations if only the head is moving and the cloth only needs to be mirrored since unlike the head it isn't asymetrical. The answer to all these questions is:

IMAGE SUPERIMPOSTION

The basic idea is that you create a large image using several small ones - I learned this trick from World Of Goo but it's more or less the oldest one in the book. By doing this you can animate only the part of the image you need to, and leave the rest as is, which saves space and time.

The trouble is that images often tear apart when objects start moving quickly, because of the refresh rate of the screen. There's an option that reduces tearing in Gamemaker but it doesn't always work perfectly. After I little thought I've come up with a few scripts which more or less predict where the image should be, and other than that I tweak it until it look right.

This is all under the hood of course, which is one of the things that demotivated me slightly - All this being clever and nobody's going to notice. Because of this and not being able to figure out the collisions (I have now though, and I'm very pleased with myself) I took some time off to work on a big dumb project titled "Murder Man" because I was sick of being clever and just wanted to do something FUN. Here are some pictures:

Posted Image
Our Hero - Murder Man: a dimension hopping killing machine who likes saying "Boom Headshot"

Posted Image
The living impaired :P

As you can see this is a completely new art style I'm working on - the trick being to draw big images and then shrink them down, rather than messing around with 32x32 images (Supersoldat + Abomination). I'm not going to change abomination's art-style because big images are much more difficult to animate, but either way it's an interesting look at a new way of doing things.

If anybody's interested I'll show you the technique I used for drawing these images :blink:

Thanks for your patience everyone, I'll get there eventually,

William

#23 ekronfilm

ekronfilm

GMC Member

• 46 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

ABOMINATION

Take on the role of a bizarre, half corpse, half machine... thing, as it searches for its lost teddy bear. Run, jump, climb up and slide down walls, rebound and hang from the roof. Always remember that Teddy = Good and Pain = Bad.

GM Version: GM7
File Size: 1.51MB
Screen Resolution: Fullscreen 640 x 480
Changes Screen Resolution: no

This has been my main project for a while now - unlike Supersoldat* it's been planned out in advance and is written entirely in GML. We're now up to the second "Surface Demo" - the movement animations and engine and pretty much finished at this point, so I can move on to cooler stuff: there are 20 rooms now, all nicely decorated and with a gradual difficulty slope (new moves are introduced slowly) - the lack of direction is voluntary: I'm trying to make the controls intuitive!

*Supersoldat

Download "Abomination Surface Demo 2"

Download "Abomination Circuits Teaser"

Posted Image
image2
image3
image4

This is basically an alpha test - no sound or music yet, these will come in time, so don't bother commenting on their absence. I need feedback on:

- Ground movement (friction, acceleration)
- Jumping (height, gravity)
- Spark/Wood Chip/Blood effects (original sparks were part of the sprite, not particles)
- Wall running (climb and slide speed)
- Roof climbing (speed, control scheme)
- Tiles, and embellishments (pillars, spikes, windows, etc)
- Surface mechanics
- Magnetise powerup (buff art, should it be permanent, last longer, etc)
- Animations added so far
- Bugs, crashes, etc
- Teddy

William

This looks really great. I just love tiny but complex animations. More than rendered 3d grafics. Nice retro, but uptodate feeling :) Looking forward to the complete game

#24 dimitri

dimitri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

This looks really great. I just love tiny but complex animations. More than rendered 3d grafics. Nice retro, but uptodate feeling :) Looking forward to the complete game

Yeah I completely agree, the amount of detail in the animations is perfect.

Also, that level-editing thing you've developed from just using the room - is absolutely awesome. Very ingenious and innovative.

Keep going with this friend - the simplest things are often the best, most enjoyable things.

#25 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

This looks really great. I just love tiny but complex animations. More than rendered 3d grafics. Nice retro, but uptodate feeling <_< Looking forward to the complete game

I kindof subscribe to the idea that better technology, because it costs more and takes more time, is bad for creativity, which is why if it can be done in 2D it might as well. Also it means I can work alone :P
I have a couple of design ideas kicking around that would really need a good looking engine though, so I'm not sure what I'll do to bring those to fruitition.

This looks really great. I just love tiny but complex animations. More than rendered 3d grafics. Nice retro, but uptodate feeling :whistle: Looking forward to the complete game

Yeah I completely agree, the amount of detail in the animations is perfect.

Also, that level-editing thing you've developed from just using the room - is absolutely awesome. Very ingenious and innovative.

Keep going with this friend - the simplest things are often the best, most enjoyable things.

Thanks - it actually means a real lot. I've been a bit demotivated recently what with having to rewrite all the stuff I've already done possibly to no avail (he very very very occaisionally gets stuck in the geometry - enough to be a real problem but not enough to make it practical to debug), and wondering whether being super clever with image superimposition is actually costing me more processing power than it's saving me memory. Officially I've been working on MurderMan while I wait for Jenner to get back to me, and it's made me think just how much work is involved getting the AI right (that being said thanks to parents and knowing what I'm doing I've had a lot less trouble than with Supersoldat). Still I shall have another hearty crack at it.

Cheers,

William

#26 Mr B

Mr B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

Very good movement and exellent sprites!

Are you going to add any updated version soon?

Maybe you fix the moving door problem with an animation that cuts a bit off the door each image.
Or you could make an empty spot, where the door is supposed to be hidden.

That circuit is very interesting.

#27 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

Very good movement and exellent sprites!

Are you going to add any updated version soon?

Maybe you fix the moving door problem with an animation that cuts a bit off the door each image.
Or you could make an empty spot, where the door is supposed to be hidden.

That circuit is very interesting.

I want the doors to move up slowly but since the player is able to grip solid objects, if the door is to move up slowly the player needs to be dragged up with it - provided the door is placed behind over objects only one frame would theoretically be nessecary, but how I do the art assets doesn't really matter, it's the code that's the trouble. As for the new version, I've had a friend from back home in Australia visiting for the last week and a bit so haven't had the opportunity to do much - I am slowly making progress though, and I'm hoping to include all sorts of moving platforms, retractable ledges and elevators now that the engine is able to accomodate them - what needs to be done is essentially to rebuild all the boring stuff :S

I'm on holidays for a week as of this friday, and I'm hoping to have a new release ready by then, in other words by the 19th (?) of April.

Thanks for the feedback!

#28 SirVortex

SirVortex

GMC Member

• 80 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

That's some amazing work there. The game is fun, would love to see some puzzles though. What annoys me the most about this game is that you are a lot better at making sprites than me. OK, seriously the only problem is that there seems to be no limit how fast this creature can run. He just keeps accelerating.

I am a cake, period!

#29 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

That's some amazing work there. The game is fun, would love to see some puzzles though. What annoys me the most about this game is that you are a lot better at making sprites than me. OK, seriously the only problem is that there seems to be no limit how fast this creature can run. He just keeps accelerating.

Cheers!
There is a limit to how fast you can run, but I set it pretty high so that I could show off the "oops I knocked myself unconcious by running into a wall" thing - I'll look into it, though compared with Supersoldat the movement is a lot less fidgety and overall a lot less fast, even if you need to be travelling faster to knock yourself out (so it happens less, which is probably a good thing for the player). At any rate these are all things that are easy enough to chance.

Because I'm rebuilding from scratch I'll need to redo the logical circuits to get puzzles up and running - I did make a couple of prototypes with crushing... things, traps that sprang up and so on - should make for some interesting and, most importantly, easy to configure puzzles...

#30 Mr B

Mr B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:08 AM

Do you have any idea of when post a new version.

#31 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:13 AM

Do you have any idea of when post a new version.

Thanks for watching this, means a lot: When I release really depends on how complete I want the new version to be - since I'm rebuilding from scratch the build currently looks like I've taken one step forward and two steps back, but since it's been ages I reckon I owe it to you guys to show you what I'm working on - I'll probably release a sample over the next few days.

#32 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:56 AM

the title says my review of the game. Improve the storyline some more.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#33 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

the title says my review of the game. Improve the storyline some more.

Can't see your title - I don't think they appear unless you're posting a new thread.

Alright - I promised a new version this week, but I've had a lot on and these moving platforms continue to be uncooperative, so progress has been excruciatingly slow. I don't want you to feel like I'm just stringing you along though, so here's a (very) tiny demo to show you more or less where I'm at. There are a lot of bugs, hence the name "Bugfest" - as a result I'd reccomend playing other versions unless you're following this project and want to know how it's going.

Download "Abomination Bugfest Alpha 2"

Changelog:
  • Total rebuild using very few Gamemaker functions and no "solid" objects
  • Loads of under the hood stuff that nobody will notice or appreciate, unless they read the source code
  • Sprites created via image superimposition to save memory
  • Cloak now billows when pouncing or dropping
  • Variable jumping added
  • Smoother turning
  • Smoother, variable skidding
  • Player is no longer snapped away from edges
  • Added a new sprite for when Player is on the edge of a cliff
  • Player can lower off edges without needing to first face the correct direction
  • Player can be "pushed" out of the way by moving walls
  • Player can be "dragged" along by walls that they are sitting/climbing on
  • Lots of other stuff I can't remember

Sorry it's not a real version, I'm back and trying my best despite exams and so on, but it's a hard slog and I have a feeling the God of moving platforms has it in for me ;)

William

#34 sfeven

sfeven

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 37 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

Pretty awesome engine you have there, William. I don't know if you know about this error, but I will post it just in case.
for object Player:

Error in code at line 17:
if Free(x+Facing,y-34) and Surface.speed=0

at position 49: Unknown variable speed
Posted Image

#35 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:17 AM

Hi Wilbo. Sry for the wait. If you send me the the source of the buggy alpha version I'll try and take a look and see if I can fix some of the bugs. Just PM me.

Jenner

#36 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

Pretty awesome engine you have there, William. I don't know if you know about this error, but I will post it just in case.

ERROR in
action number 8
of  Step Event
for object Player:

Error in code at line 17:
			   if Free(x+Facing,y-34) and Surface.speed=0

at position 49: Unknown variable speed

Dang - theroretical in an algorithm if the first term of an "and" is false then subsequent ones aren't even evaluated - I keep forgetting that GM checks them any, even if it's pointless. Easy to fix - thanks for pointing it out ::lmao::

if Free(x+Facing,y-34) and Surface!=noone
{
	if Surface.speed=0
		then Cling_Set();
			else State=Climbing;
}
else State=Climbing;

Hi Wilbo. Sry for the wait. If you send me the the source of the buggy alpha version I'll try and take a look and see if I can fix some of the bugs. Just PM me.

Jenner

If you're game - thought you'd abandonned me :S

Still, you can see how much more organised the code is this time around :(

#37 Mr B

Mr B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

It has been a while without news of the project. Have there been any progress or have you been busy?

#38 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:14 AM

It has been a while without news of the project. Have there been any progress or have you been busy?

Exams and this whole moving platforms buisness really took the wind out of my sails for this project. Jenner said he'd (twice) but hasn't gotten back to me, though perhaps I just need to remind him - in the meantime I've gotten caught up in another project. I still come back to this on a regular basis, the thing is that I've sunk weeks of work into this without any real progress - I'm thinking of not being so ambitious, just going for doors that snap shut immediately, perhaps taking it back to the surface demo and restarting from there, because that version is far more fun than the "new and improved" one even after months.

I'll right to Jenner again I think, and if he still hasn't got any ideas I'll cut it back and move on with a simplified build, because at the end of the day it's good fun to play it even without all this fancy pants stuff.

Thanks for caring,

William

#39 Mr B

Mr B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

Any news?

#40 Wilbo

Wilbo

GMC Member

• 187 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

Any news?

News? Maybe I should have written... :D

I've switched to Linux in order to stick it to the man, and unfortunately Gamemaker hasn't been ported over to it (yet). Strange though it may seem this is actually one of the reasons for the change - I wanted to start working with C++ and SDL so I could have more freedom and bragging rights, and it would have been too tempting to come back to Gamemaker's loving embrace when things went wrong.

Recently I've started learning SDL (simple direct-media layer = draws images, play sounds, controls events) and after a fortnight of work I managed to build: Sokoban! Would have taken me maybe an hour maximum in Gamemaker :D
Still, with time and effort I think I can push further and do things I never could have done with Gamemaker - I'm going to keep working on Abomination when I'm as good at C/SDL as I was with GML but for now it's back to making Tetris and PacMan ;)

Thanks for posting - I might link various things back here: I owe a lot to Gamemaker!

William

Edited by Wilbo, 07 October 2009 - 05:12 PM.