#1 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:49 AM

Coulomb's Law
(with Biot-Savart)

Made in about two days, this is my entry to the informal TIGSource Love Letter Competition. It is a game about a little lovesick positive electrical charge, who wishes to meet with the object of his affections: a negative electrical charge. The game has a lot of meaning, both with respect to the competition theme and with respect to certain physics concepts.

Place positive charges with the mouse; these positive charges will repel the main character, hopefully guiding him through the level in order to reach the negative charge.

Magnetic fields will also adjust your trajectory.

<R> or <SPACE> restarts a level.

The game features a custom-built physics engine (for the repelling charges, as well as the magnetic fields and gravity), which I am quite proud of considering it was made with GM4.3. :D I made it on Vista, so it should work on Vista. There are a few minor glitches, but nothing is detrimental to the gameplay.

As far as background information about the title, "Coulomb's Law" describes forces which act on charges from other charges, "Biot-Savart's Law" describes forces which act on moving charges from a magnetic field.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Download: (2.01 MB)

Mirror I (Mediafire)
Mirror II (YoYoGames)

Edited by thetagames, 19 February 2009 - 02:12 PM.

#2 BENJAMUS

BENJAMUS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

This is really original! ...Or at least uncommon. I liked it, the graphics, the concept, the "storyline", and especially the music! One glitch: Oftentimes, when you are staying still and place a + off in the distance where it doesn't really affect you, you fall through the floor. The + has to be somewhat close, but not move you. It doesn't work if it's way off.
Pretty fun!

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

This is really original! ...Or at least uncommon. I liked it, the graphics, the concept, the "storyline", and especially the music! One glitch: Oftentimes, when you are staying still and place a + off in the distance where it doesn't really affect you, you fall through the floor. The + has to be somewhat close, but not move you. It doesn't work if it's way off.
Pretty fun!

Thank you for your comments. I have uploaded a new version, with this bug fixed.

Glad you liked the music; I composed and recorded it. Only the percussion track is sequenced.

#4 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:07 AM

After completing the game, the game was unusual, but nevertheless interesting! + and -, I'd never thought they would be a couple. Graphics are simple but they aren't too detailed, thats good. Gameplay is simple but is unique and original in it's own style. It's recreating magnitism. I did find the glitch that Benjamus mentioned earliar but it wasn't a problem. I was mostly stuck on the second to last level. Heres a screenshot of the finish screen once you beat it. (Contains spoilers!!)

Final Screen = Pretty funny if you ask me. Haha..

Anyways, here are your review scores..

Gameplay: 10/10 Outstanding!
Sounds/Music: 8/10 Real fitting to the gameplay!
Graphics 8/10 Simple, but not detailed, I like that style.

Overall Score: 9/10. Great job! I look foward to the next version, if you plan on making on, of course, good luck to all future players!
(Planet ~(X)~) (Skill Enhancing)

[Please PM me if you want a video review/gameplay video for your game!]

#5 MasterFunk

MasterFunk

GMC Member

• 249 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:02 AM

Very good, and very hard!

I didn't finish, I'm no good with these kind of games.

#6 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

After completing the game, the game was unusual, but nevertheless interesting! + and -, I'd never thought they would be a couple. Graphics are simple but they aren't too detailed, thats good. Gameplay is simple but is unique and original in it's own style. It's recreating magnitism. I did find the glitch that Benjamus mentioned earliar but it wasn't a problem. I was mostly stuck on the second to last level. Heres a screenshot of the finish screen once you beat it. (Contains spoilers!!)

Final Screen = Pretty funny if you ask me. Haha..

Anyways, here are your review scores..

Gameplay: 10/10 Outstanding!
Sounds/Music: 8/10 Real fitting to the gameplay!
Graphics 8/10 Simple, but not detailed, I like that style.

Overall Score: 9/10. Great job! I look foward to the next version, if you plan on making on, of course, good luck to all future players!

Thanks for the review! Just curious about the graphics - did they seem blurred to you? On my computer (Vista), they do not blur, but on other computers, they sometimes do. I will probably be making more levels when I have time - level design for this type of thing is quite fun.

Very good, and very hard!

I didn't finish, I'm no good with these kind of games.

Other players have said it is hard - I hope the quick respawn makes enough incentive to keep trying. Glad you liked it, though.

~ Theta Games

#7 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Very entertaining and simple ^_^ And cool that you made the music yourself ^_^ I give it 9/10

#8 Jenner

Jenner

Jenner

• GMC Member
  • 904 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

Actually pretty fun. If I where you I'd make a sequel.

#9 frosty10001

frosty10001

GMC Member

• 876 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

No, they don't look blurred, all what it looks like if it has been enlarged, but that is good with me, you don't need to change anything..
I agree with Jenner, you should make a sequel introducing new elements, would make it an awesome game! Good luck!!

Edited by frosty10001, 27 February 2009 - 09:00 PM.

(Planet ~(X)~) (Skill Enhancing)

[Please PM me if you want a video review/gameplay video for your game!]

#10 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Very entertaining and simple :D And cool that you made the music yourself :P I give it 9/10

Thanks! I have made the music for all of my games; it is a big part of the fun of game creation, in my opinion.

Actually pretty fun. If I where you I'd make a sequel.

I agree with Jenner, you should make a sequel introducing new elements, would make it an awesome game! Good luck!!

I'll want to keep an electro-magnetic theme; maybe I'll introduce the ability to add negative charges, or to add charges with variable strength.

Thanks, everyone!