30 replies to this topic

#1 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

Help an Eyeball save his planet, Eyeris, from the giant evil Veyerus in this very long and unique platform adventure game.
You roll around 20 different zones with 95 levels collecting power ups to kill enemies while avoiding various traps.
There are also 26 different bosses to kill, and over 7 hours of gameplay!!!

made for competition04 on yoyogames.com

Some screenshots
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

yoyogames.com
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/72083

gamemakergames.com
http://www.gamemaker...?a=view&id=6881

Edited by shroomz120, 06 January 2010 - 04:36 AM.

#2 jackyboyhenry

jackyboyhenry

just jack

• GMC Member
  • 466 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

its quite good 3.5/ 5
Im to cool for a nice signature.

#3 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

any suggestions to make it better, well at least Eye Attack 2 better?

Edited by shroomz120, 03 February 2009 - 11:17 PM.

#4 THE KAPPTIN

THE KAPPTIN

El Capitano

• 2374 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:15 AM

any suggestions to make it better, well at least Eye Attack 2 better?

Definitely put some more work into this one, you've already done so much & there is a lot of good stuff about it, so you should fix the little problems.
The movment is kind of buggy, I'm sure you've noticed. Consider using for a premade platform engine you can adapt for your game, that's a good way to avoid bugs.

Also make it so up is jump. Just have the up key press call the s key press event event_perform(ev_keypress,ord('S')). That way people can use whichever way they want and it doesn't unbalance the game somehow?

I like the sound & graphics.
I literally have a degree in game development... sucka!!
"I quote myself in my signature." -THE KAPPTIN

#5 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:53 AM

thanks for the help

Because this game is in comp04 I can't edit it yet, but I have fixed the bug where you can't jump when you are half way off an edge if that is what you are talking about. Any others you saw?

event_perform(ev_keypress,ord('S')) I actually did this (then removed it), but the problem is that in some levels you have to shoot upwards (by pressing Up first) and if you always jump when you aim up it might get you killed somehow, but I will have more control type options in the next one.

#6 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

I haven't downloaded this yet, and with the 16MB filesize and my trainwreck of an internet connection, it might be some time until I do. But with the supposed length of the game, tell me this much: can you at least save the game?

If so, I might download this one in due time.

#7 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

yes it has 3 save slots ^_^
hope you enjoy

Edited by shroomz120, 07 February 2009 - 01:57 AM.

#8 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Wow, that games is fun and very long.
However the movement sometimes isn't responsive as it should be, for example when rolling down a slope and pressing the jump button. You won't jump.
Also some -no wait all- of the musics are pretty repetetive loops.

#9 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

I have an updated version of the game on these 2 web sites, but its hard for me or my testers to tell if the movement is a lot better, because we are used to the movement and it feels almost the same to us.

gamemakergames.com
http://www.gamemaker...?a=view&id=6881

twilightphantasm.com
http://twilightphant...mes.php?gid=161

#10 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

I don't know what you did but the jumping is a lot better now.
Well, good luck in that competition. This won't do too bad I can imagine.

Edited by 9_6, 12 February 2009 - 09:29 PM.

#11 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

I updated it on Yoyogames.com now that the competition is over
If you play it there, please give an honest rating because I know It deserves more than 2.7 stars. (competition downraters)

#12 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

very creative. good game. i hate downraters!!! :lol:

Edited by slayer 64, 20 February 2009 - 03:35 AM.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#13 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:26 AM

I decided to re-submit the game on yoyogames because the other one has an extremely low and unfair rating. I wanted it to have a fresh start with no competition downraters since the staff only fixed the ratings of the winners.

I don't want to delete the other one yet, because if someone got very far into the game they might have to start over :)

here is the new one (original post updated too)
http://www.yoyogames...ames/show/72083

Edited by shroomz120, 24 February 2009 - 06:28 AM.

#14 JulianS

JulianS

GMC Member

• 407 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:38 AM

Nice game! I love the rolly movement!
"Life is a wild ride, Buy a helmet"~ Zack Spartz~
If you will be laughing on December 22 2012, put this in your sig.
Please come see my platform example!
click the linky~

#15 MasterFunk

MasterFunk

GMC Member

• 249 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:50 AM

The music is repetitive, but the gameplay is great. :whistle:

#16 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Eye Attack is this weeks cage match against Spirits of metropolis, and its not looking good right now (I can see why)
hope you vote for eye attack ::lmao::
http://gmc.yoyogames...p;#entry3075311

About the music. Is it annoyingly repetitive or just repetitive, because I was worried that some people would find it annoying.
Expect much better music in the next one.

#17 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:41 PM

I went to download this from Yoyo Games, and twice the download failed. After downloading about half of the game, the download box said "Download Complete". Then when I tried to run the game, before the download bar even started I got a message saying the file was corrupt and the game closed. I then downloaded it for real from Twilight Phantasm. Now, the problem could have just been that my internet connection kept cutting out during download, because it does that a fair bit. But be wary of my enigmatic omen - the file on Yoyo Games could be corrupt.

Now, since this is such a supposedly long game I won't review it until I've finished it. But I have to ask; in the unzipped game folder, the configuration file EyeAttackData opens in Notepad and contains values such as "coin_total" and "orb_total". Theoretically, by editing this file, couldn't you change the number of coins and orbs you've collected? If so, you might want to do something about that to prevent people from cheating. Well, I should be finished this game within a week or two. I'll post the review then.

#18 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

No, you can only change the amount of orbs, coins, levels, and percent that it says you have when you look at the save files.

If you start a save on file one and you get 10 orbs then when you load next time it will say you have 10 orbs.
if you change the value to 10,000 then it will say you have 10,000, but when you actually load it you still have 10 orbs and the value is automatically changed back to 10 again.
Basically its just there to show you your stats before you load, and changing it does nothing.

I don't know about the file being corrupt at YYG, because it works on my computer and it's been played over 200 times and no one said anything about an error.

anyways hope you enjoy

Edited by shroomz120, 09 March 2009 - 09:24 PM.

#19 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, it probably was just my internet connection that caused the downloads to fail. Now, I haven't completely beaten this game, but I have defeated Veyerus in its 75 orbs form. Beating the game 100% is something I'll do later in the year, whereas in between now and then I'll take the time to play other games. I'll give my review now:

First off, I agree with what's been said about the music. It isn't annoyingly repetitive; it just isn't incredibly overwhelming or inspired. This is worsened by the fact that there are about 5 or so level themes that are repeated throughout the game. The tunes are mostly well-suited to the situation though (boss, level, world map etc.), and show promise that they could be incorporated into full tracks. And kudos for using FL Studio!

Graphics are also well-suited with a good amount of detail. They're way above the minimum graphics that any 2D game should have. Maybe a little more detail could have gone into the world map, since you spend so much time looking at it overall. Also, the distant backgrounds could have been more than just colours. The elements such as lava and water were done well.

The controls felt a bit uncomfortable. Being a right-handed gamer who's played many platformers, I'm used to moving with my left hand and jumping/attacking with my right (though this change is admittedly easier to handle on a keyboard than it would be with a controller). Also, if I'm made to use my left hand for attacking and jumping, I just feel the attack key should be to the right of the jump so that I could attack with my left index finger. Those were just minor control issues, though, and didn't affect gameplay all that much.

For the bulk, the gameplay was great. Although the premise of rolling around outside the screen to collect hidden orbs and coins got old pretty soon, the inclusion of all the collectables gave great dimension to the game. The enemies never seemed to pose too much of a threat, and most of the danger came from the environment. A lot more could have been done with the level design, such as adding more puzzle/maze elements to some levels, or more gimmicks so that the levels didn't all involve simply collecting items and getting to the exit. By "gimmicks", I mean the whole gameplay mechanism could have changed for some levels (such as levels where you pilot some kind of vehicle, levels where you have to keep some "pet" alive, levels where the physics change, etc.). The cutscenes were cool, and the boss fights were interesting. I think one of the best features of the game was that it was the type of game I grew up playing - a platformer with a "mascot character", with collectables that unlock hidden levels and a secret final boss as the last piece of replay value.

I might add more to this review once I beat the game 100%, but as I said that won't be for a while. I know I've played less than ten games on this site so far, but I'd definitely call this my favourite. I give it 8 out of 10 rubber chickens.

#20 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Okay, I’ve now beaten it 100%. Most of what I said about it before stays true. There should have been more levels that changed the gameplay, like vehicle levels or ones that change the physics (maybe “eye pinball”). Perhaps I’m just a seasoned platformer, but it seemed pretty easy and didn’t get much harder throughout (except for the very final boss, which almost took too great of a difficulty leap). Damage done by most enemies was practically insignificant.

Going back through the levels to get all the coins and orbs seemed like pointless busy work more than anything, and while this added length to the game, this length could have been achieved through better means. Instead of going back through a level once you’d bought a certain power-up from the shop, there should have been mini-puzzles guarding the orbs in each level, or maybe mini-games or areas that force you to perfect certain platforming skills. The ability to exit a level with Esc after you’d collected the coins and orbs also took away from the challenge. For the next Eye Attack game (if you make one), consider having fewer, longer levels with a harsher penalty for death - such as losing the items you’ve collected in the level.

I guess the controls were simple enough in the end. The music was still repetitive, even if well suited. If tunes were longer and more anthemic/fanfare-like, they’d have been better. The plot is....... meh. It’s enough of a plot for this type of game, and perhaps too complex of a story might have ruined the game. Good use of particles for the graphics, except sometimes there are too many effects on screen and they cover the eye in mist. Such as when you’ve got the solar power-up and you go rolling through a field of enemies. Apart from that, the art was generally captivating.

All in all, this was a game worth playing. The virtues outshone the flaws, though fewer flaws is always better. Thank you for making this, and good luck with future games!

#21 Druid TC

Druid TC

Forever Floyd

• GMC Member
  • 1585 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Ahhh Shroomz, I have finally found your GMC thread of this. I love this game. But yeah, you cocked up the music. Maybe get someone else to do that for you in the sequel. How is that coming along by the way?

Edited by Druid TC, 03 January 2010 - 02:48 PM.

Assorted Quotes:
Spoiler

My Forum Fic (currently on prologue + ten chapters)

#22 The eleventh plague of Egypt

The eleventh plague of Egypt

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1045 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Great game, one of the first platformers I really enjoyed, thanks to the fact that enemies don't kill you on impact.

I can't find some coins still, there should be some kind of guide.

#23 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

Most of the coins can be found by rolling around outside the room. Also, once you’ve got enough coins/orbs, there’s something in the store to help you.

#24 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

I liked the game, 4/5, yet, there are somethings I feel need some improvement, and sorry beforehand if these have been already pointed out.

The tilesets do not seem to match the gameplay. And perhaps there was too many message boxes in the beginning, kind of overloading, you'd roll 2 seconds, and you would get a message box :whistle:

However, I do like the story (names are a little bizzare, but whatever) and the overworld, as well as the cartoonish feeling that this game has, great job!

#25 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:59 AM

The sequel with hopefully fix most of the problems That have been mentioned. The graphics have been improved by a lot. Actually the whole game will be played a lot differently. It will be entered in Competition05 on yoyogames.

@luis148 - You mean the weird names like Veyerus? I wonder how many people caught that V(eye)rus was pronounced "Virus" and all the other names with "i" replaced by "eye."

#26 Paddymay

Paddymay

Puppy Playground

• 320 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

I love your screenshots!

Account invactive.

Account invactive.

Account invactive.

Whatever, downloading because I dont know what these are.

#27 2DLuis

2DLuis

Graphic Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2527 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

I love your screenshots!

Account invactive.

Account invactive.

Account invactive.

And I love your post, with no importance whatsoever.
@shroomz120, yes, the names are a bit weird... Maybe switch them up?

Luis

#28 shroomz120

shroomz120

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:38 AM

I love your screenshots!

Account invactive.

Account invactive.

Account invactive.

sorry about that. They work now

#29 Sir Enigma

Sir Enigma

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Nah, I got the whole "eye" equals "i" thing. The names were well suited.

#30 Imadjinni

Imadjinni

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

I just played this game for three straight hours... I think I owe you money...

*hugs game*

#31 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

I see some high level of efforts and polish in this game, and actually some pretty nice gameplay features.

The game has some pretty good sprites and visual effects, but a few bad color palette, ugly looping textures and built in particle effects that kinda ruins the whole effort. It gets way better from world2 though with hand-drawn sprites and refreshing colors. I think the sky colors is what annoyed me most. Maybe you could try less saturated colors that blends more as a whole, or adding an actual background.

Example:
http://yfrog.com/esciolorsj

Anyways, I haven't played very far yet, but it seems like a huge solid game. Nice job!